When does certain mean certain? 09/25/2015 12:31 PM CDT

Paladin with 99 shield and 79 appraisal appraising a shield held in the hand:

Appraise attempt #1
> You are certain that the shield offers fair (8/26) to amazing (22/26) protection.

Appraise attempt #2
> You are certain that the shield offers fair (8/26) to tremendous (24/26) protection.

Does that mean the protection changes, or is there always a random fudge factor (never really certain)?
Re: When does certain mean certain? 09/26/2015 12:46 AM CDT
>>Volcanus: Does that mean the protection changes, or is there always a random fudge factor (never really certain)?

I have never seen the handheld stats change on certain "Paladin" appraisals.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: When does certain mean certain? 09/26/2015 07:11 AM CDT
I always assumed that just because you are certain, doesn't mean you are right. What's your appraisal skill?

Therefore send not to ask for whom the bell tolls. It tolls for thee. - John Donne
Re: When does certain mean certain? 09/26/2015 08:04 AM CDT

> What's your appraisal skill?

14th circle Paladin.
99 shield
79 appraisal
hand-held shield.

I did receive the message, "Your experience with shields allows a better appraisal of the protection capabilities."
Re: When does certain mean certain? 09/26/2015 09:36 PM CDT
>>Godking: I always assumed that just because you are certain, doesn't mean you are right. What's your appraisal skill?

My understanding is that "you are certain" indicates that you are receiving an accurate appraisal. (You might get an accurate appraisal with other messages, but there is no guarantee of accuracy.)

My only other thought: are you sure the same shield was being appraised each time?

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: When does certain mean certain? 09/26/2015 09:39 PM CDT
>>I did receive the message, "Your experience with shields allows a better appraisal of the protection capabilities."

Both times?

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: When does certain mean certain? 09/26/2015 11:14 PM CDT

> My understanding is that "you are certain" indicates that you are receiving an accurate appraisal. (

That's what I thought too, but I'm getting different appraisals.

> Both times?

Both times.
Re: When does certain mean certain? 09/26/2015 11:15 PM CDT

> My understanding is that "you are certain" indicates that you are receiving an accurate appraisal. (

That's what I thought too, but I'm getting different appraisals. According to elanthipedia, neither are correct. (should be 23 rather than 22 and 24).

> Both times?

Both times.
Re: When does certain mean certain? 09/27/2015 06:46 PM CDT
Did you have damage to the shield in the first appraisal, or divine armor (or similar shield/ability booster) on it for the second? 14 would be low for DA, unless it was someone else's shield. Though I'd lean more towards it being two different shields.
Re: When does certain mean certain? 09/27/2015 06:57 PM CDT
It's possible the more detailed appraisal requires more skill and isn't tied into the certain messaging, so it's a messaging quirk. I.e. You're at the skill range where if you weren't a Paladin then you'd be seeing the less detailed appraisal which is certain as messages as this, but because you're a Paladin you see the more detailed one but are still out of the range required for it to actually be certain.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: When does certain mean certain? 09/27/2015 07:36 PM CDT
> Did you have damage to the shield in the first appraisal, or divine armor (or similar shield/ability booster) on it for the second?

Yes (0-19%). No. SR on myself for both appraisals.

> Though I'd lean more towards it being two different shields.

I only had the one.