Why Animal Lore? 04/26/2008 08:25 AM CDT
Why go with Animal Lore at all?

Would it not be more Rangerly like not to mention give the rangers an opporutnity to have a greatly expanded use of this skill if it was...

Nature Lore... or Wilderness Lore...

Instead? It could be expanded to include not just animals but plants as well. This combined with the Alchemy skill can enable a skilled Nature Lore ranger to brew extra strong healing potions/rangents not to mention create various skills and of course help them forage rarer or better quality ingreadients as a result of having this skill?? Are Rangers not experts in wilderness lore in general not just animals but Fauna but Flora as well?

Not a Ranger player myself but this seems like above would give an opportunity to really give that skill some range and possibilities.
Re: Why Animal Lore? 04/26/2008 08:28 AM CDT
>animals but Fauna but

Mhewww... whers my coffee.

Sorry for that bit of double animal/fauna thingy.
Re: Why Animal Lore? 04/26/2008 09:00 AM CDT
From what I hear, they have plans for future uses of Animal Lore. It has been speculated, for traders anyway, that animal lore may factor into personnally owned caravans.

Re: Why Animal Lore? 04/27/2008 06:00 PM CDT
The stuff about plants and stuff is already covered by...the foraging skill. The animal lore skill would allow multiple guilds and or systems to be implemented to use this skill. Rangers with the companion system and traders with pack animals and caravans. The horse system improved and possibly a pet system could be implemented by using this skill too.

Wanderer Larze

Movies count because they are based on real life which imitates art which then gets spoofed by bad art which then is imitated by real life and gave us the state of Florida. - GODKIN
Re: Why Animal Lore? 08/21/2008 10:23 PM CDT
So... just checking - No real viable way to learn this still as a non ranger?

As a lore primary MM I'm looking for lores to learn... and musics bore me terribly.

Leeches train a little from what I've gathered.

I have a horse that hasn't been out of the stables in probley five years... I'm faster without him really... but if he would train animal lore half way decently?

I could fish... I generally don't, though I should find a way to train foraging again (I think my 154 is outside the range fishing teaches though?) how high/well will fishing teach animal lore?

-- Mozzik, the Fateweaver

Caelumia says, "I love the tools even more."
Re: Why Animal Lore? 08/22/2008 12:43 AM CDT
My Empath got 62 animal lore ranks from Fishing when she was still a commoner. I imagine she'd have more at this point if she could still use the fishing system. Fishing should still teach you foraging, though I'm not sure how well. My Thief still learns decently from fishing at ~100 ranks. I can't imagine it completely stops teaching between 100 and 150 ranks.

I have no idea how high fishing teaches animal lore, of course, but if you just want to train it for giggles fishing is the second-best way.

The best way to learn animal lore these days is classes, of course.

Dragonrealms Tourney Calendar: http://tourneydr.com
Upcoming Tournies:
No Limit - Thursday Aug 21st at 9PM EST
Cleric Guild Benefit Tourney - Friday August 22nd at 11PM EST
(See the calendar for details.)
Re: Why Animal Lore? 08/22/2008 01:08 AM CDT
>I could fish... I generally don't, though I should find a way to train foraging again (I think my 154 is outside the range fishing teaches though?) how high/well will fishing teach animal lore?

I could still mind lock foraging eventually with 297 foraging. That was with recasting the line every 5 to 8 seconds. Lots of scroll makes it kind of annoying though. But with low enough ranks in animal lore you can mind lock that too. I should try again now that I've trained animal lore up via classes.
Re: Why Animal Lore? 08/22/2008 02:42 AM CDT
Hmm... well fishing locked me right up with 154 foraging. Lot better then anything else I ever found since the old foraging system came out (I seem to recall that being like "Well... forget this, I don't need this skill anymore" and I coasted for years off what I already had). Wonder how high it'll take me, and how well the animal lore will keep up. Certainly didn't lock up as fast as the foraging, even at well... now 3 ranks

-- Mozzik, the Fateweaver

Caelumia says, "I love the tools even more."
Re: Why Animal Lore? 08/22/2008 03:57 PM CDT
As a Bard (450 Foraging, tert and 110 AL, prime) I can lock both skills with little effort. Granted Foraging will always lock first, but I can still get them both moving pretty well from fishing. 90s mentals if that matters.

GENT