A discreet meeting 08/31/2017 11:40 PM CDT
Below is the log of a meeting between a few individuals interested in opposing Necromancy, spurred on by the recent posting of public notes by a variety of Necromancers.

My hope in publishing this log is to provide some fodder for continued RP, both with Necromancers, opponents, and GMs. It is to let everyone know who is involved and interested, and to give some ideas for RP hooks. A view into the minds of characters on this side of the conflict, perhaps.

Please do not use knowledge from this meeting in game. This log is intended to be an OOC resource for players, not something a character would know.

Furthermore, those present at the meeting are interested in RP, but not necessarily interested in physical conflict with necromancer PCs. Please be respectful and do not attack without first speaking to the player OOC.

That said, it was fun to RP with everyone and who knows if more may come of it. I encourage players from both sides to reach out to one another and find ways to RP together.

[Undisclosed Location]

You say, "Anyway, thank you all for coming. It's good to see so many interested in these latest events."

You say, "Now, I'm sure you all know the matter we are to be discussing. Necromancy. In particular, the necromancers who have taken it upon themselves lately to post notes publicly."

Whiteburn's tail undulates in an agitated fashion.

Qiyan asks, "Has it been determined who they are yet?"

You shake your head.

Qiyan asks, "Has anyone taken the bait and spoken to the one offering?"

Khaelyn says, "Seems a divide amoungst the order."

Perune says, "Someone has."

You say, "I have worked over every bartender in Zoluren to see if they can catch the posters in the act. So far, nothing."

You glance at Perune, a male Elf.

Whiteburn says to Khaelyn, "So it would seem."

You ask, "Has someone here spoken to one of these necromancers?"

Khaelyn nods to Whiteburn.

Qiyan says to Perune, "Yeah, spill the juice."

Perune says, "Not me, no. But I spoke with someone a few days ago that I know is on the fence about keeping the company of Necromancers."

Khaelyn says to Qiyan, "He knows things."

Perune says, "Specifically, he is lenient towards the Philosophers."

Whiteburn frowns deeply.

Whiteburn says, "How... disappointing."

Perune says, "Yes, I spend a lot of time debating with him, to hopefully keep his soul intact."

You frown.

You say, "Good of you to do so. I'd keep a careful eye on him."

Khaelyn says, "Bad business for sure."

Perune nods to you.

Qiyan says, "Although...."

Qiyan clears her throat.

You say, "I hope that we all can agree on the dangers of speaking to a necromancer in person."

Khaelyn gazes at Qiyan.

Qiyan asks, "This person could be a good source of intell... no?"

Mazrian gazes thoughtfully at you.

Perune says, "He spoke little of the Philosophers, but it seems they must have imparted some knowledge about what is going on with those who have aligned with the Island Lich."

Qiyan says, "I mean speaking to a person that has spoken to one isn't like speaking to one yerself."

Qiyan nods.

Whiteburn says, "I would take him at his offer if only to see him skewered, though I should not wish to be so eager a piece of bait for the trap, if trap it is."

You nod to Whiteburn.

Mazrian dryly says, "If you skewered him he would only be smug at you after."

You say, "I am wary of the power of words. We Bards know that power well. To speak to a necromancer is to open up the possibility, even slight though it may be, of becoming corrupted oneself."

Khaelyn grins at Mazrian.

Qiyan says, "And probably not speak."

Whiteburn asks Mazrian, "Truly?"

Perune says to Qiyan, "I am under the impression he is in over his head and will likely dive deeper to try and stop the Islanders."

Mazrian says to Whiteburn, "Or bitter. It's a tossup."

Qiyan raises an eyebrow in Perune's direction.

Qiyan says to Perune, "A crusader."

Saragos says to Perune, "The islanders? I've not been as up on what's going on as I should be."

Perune says, "Not quite, a man after information."

Perune says to Saragos, "The Lich Jeihrem, who attacked Crossing, has been isolated to a hidden Island, where other Necromancers who have followed him, gather."

You nod to Perune.

Saragos nods to Perune.

Perune says, "Apparently there is some strangeness with the grouping there."

Whiteburn says, "My most recent investigations on this 'Islander' had unearthed results similar to that which we are seeing hence."

You say, "I have been learning, upon the surfacing of these notes, that there is another faction of necromancers who are trying to put themselves in opposition of this Lich."

Qiyan says, "They sunbath with zombies openly."

Qiyan shudders.

Saragos snorts at Qiyan.

You say, "They call themselves the Philosophers."

Mazrian nods.

You say, "What puzzles me, though, is how they think that we could possibly care enough to pardon them for all the many transgressions they make simply for being necromancers."

Khaelyn shudders.

You ask, "The notes read as though they want to help us against these Islanders, yet somehow we are supposed to overlook their own murderous, blasphemous, and demon-attracting nature?"

Perune says, "Likely it is more about the imminent danger."

Perune says, "The man I spoke to informs me that while many of the Islanders typically are mad men who have no sense, that one of them is fiercy intelligent and shrewd, and plans to align them all under a single cause."

Whiteburn says, "Those who call themselves 'philosophers' attempting to divert my attention toward this Islander and his thralls. Quite desperate, they were."

Saragos says to you, "I'm not sure that's what it is. They may, despite being damned themselves, have actual differences with these other ones, even if they do not seek any sort of redemption or forgiveness."

Saragos furrows his brow.

You say, "Regardless, their very study draws demonic attention that could be catastrophic to our plane of existence."

You ask, "Why should we do anything but bring them to justice?"

Whiteburn says to Saragos, "They may simply wish to seek any form of temporary salvation they can find by attempting to divert their own sins unto others that they may slip into the shadows and wriggle away."

Mazrian shakes his head.

Mazrian dryly says, "They believe they're doing the right thing."

You blink at Mazrian.

Saragos says, "I'll say this here, though I don't want it spread outside of this room. I trust you all. I've been wondering if there might be a way to use this schism to our advantage."

Qiyan asks, "Any chance this division will result in one side being able to take the other side down?"

Qiyan nods to Saragos.

Perune says to Qiyan, "Yes."

You say to Mazrian, "How? How is that remotely possible? Lyras destroyed a third of our population. Demons are known to be attracted to necromantic magic, and it's known that they want nothing more than to destroy this plane."

Whiteburn says, "A Necromancer is a Necromancer. All are profane. All are forsaken. This philosophy is nothing but a quaint attempt to obfuscate their nature before men."

You ask, "How could anyone possible think that necromancy is the right thing to do?"

Saragos says, "I have not changed my stance on necromancy, but it does seem like one faction might be more dangerous than the other. A matter of priorities, rather than forgiveness."

Qiyan rolls her eyes.

Perune nods to Saragos.

Mazrian rubs his neck.

Qiyan says, "And why not let them have it out."

You say to Qiyan, "Now there is a thought."

Qiyan says, "They will destroy each other."

Whiteburn asks Saragos, "Shall we not strike them both down now, while they are preocuppied?"

Saragos looks at you and shrugs.

Perune says, "Because we don't know how far the Islanders will go to succeed."

Khaelyn frets.

Perune says, "These are people who have outright chosen demonic patronage."

Qiyan says to Perune, "Right, which is why we need intell."

Isharon says, "I do not see one as less dangerous than the other, though if I were forced to choose which poses the greater threat, I would say Philosophers, because their ideas are more likely to sway the weak-minded than those perverse enough to openly declare what they are."

Whiteburn says, "Two mice with one stone, I believe the Common phrase is."

Mazrian leans back.

You gaze thoughtfully at Isharon.

Saragos says to you, "Nobody's a villain in their own story."

You say to Saragos, "I know. It must be so. Yet, I cannot remotely see how they justify what they do."

Mazrian dryly asks you, "Have you never been convinced you were right about something, and damn the naysayers?"

Perune says to Qiyan, "All I know right now is that the one who intends to lead them is a woman, who they're calling the Tallnah. I couldn't determine the language that comes from, but I was told it means The Beginning of the End."

Perune says, "In addition, they likely plan to keep Zehira out of any organization."

Saragos says to Whiteburn, "If it were possible, sure. But there has been a lot of striking down of Necromancers. I'd guess I'm not the only one in this room who feels some fatigue, even if our hearts haven't changed. But despite our efforts, they keep coming back."

You say to Mazrian, "All the time. But it's never involved zombies, murdering innocents, or dealing with demons."

Whiteburn says to Perune, "I have had words with that one. She attempted to desecrate the altar of my Lord Drogor."

Whiteburn growls low in the back of her throat.

Saragos nods to Whiteburn.

Perune asks Whiteburn, "You know this woman?"

Saragos says to Perune, "Interesting."

You gaze at Whiteburn.

Qiyan ponders.

You say to Whiteburn, "Describe her to us."

Perune says, "The man I spoke to hadn't identified her yet."

Mazrian says to you, "It's just a matter of degree. And not having a fatal delusion."

Whiteburn's eyes darken with thought, and her tail grows very still.

Qiyan asks, "So a leader has been identified for the Philosphers... what about the Lichs?"

Whiteburn says, "It was some time ago, and she was, as is the burrowing insects that are her kind, not want to take leave of the shadows."

Perune says to Qiyan, "I was talking about the Lich."

Qiyan squints at Perune.

You say, "To clarify, this Tallnah woman is leader of the Islanders."

Perune says, "Yes."

Perune nods to you.

Perune says, "To further clarify, she intends to be."

Whiteburn says, "However, she did take great pains to gloat about the power of her 'master' and how we were all simply puppets of the Gods. Irony notwithstanding."

You nod to Whiteburn.

Qiyan gets a snifter of Elven brandy from inside her viridian coat.

Qiyan gasps and chokes as her face takes on a bright reddish hue!

Saragos says to Whiteburn, "Funny how that works out."

You dryly say, "I suppose she'd rather be the puppet of a demon."

Mazrian says, "I'm sure she thinks she'll be able to pull the strings when the time comes."

Qiyan asks, "Has she leadership qualities?"

Mazrian shakes his head.

Whiteburn says, "She did not tarry. My magic saw to that. Once her summoned minion had been dispatched, she fled, along with dire threats of her return and vengeance, of course."

Qiyan asks, "Does she have a following?"

Perune says to Qiyan, "It was implied."

You ponder.

Qiyan says, "Then what about the s'posed more dangerous side, the Philosophiers."

Qiyan clears her throat.

Whiteburn says, "I believe she might haven taken offense of the recent discovery and cleansing by the Inquisition of the nearby monastery that had been harboring Necromancers."

Qiyan takes a sip of her brandy.

Isharon says, "One group embraces the strings that bind them, and the other refuses to see them."

Whiteburn says to Qiyan, "I believe she does. If not her, then at least the 'master' she follows certainly does."

You ask, "Do we know what it is the Islanders want, as opposed to these Philosophers?"

Qiyan nods to Whiteburn.

Isharon says, "Presumably to barter their souls with a demonic entity for power."

You nod to Isharon.

Perune says to you, "Their demon puppets. Absolute power and destruction of our world as we know it is a start."

Saragos gets a rustic hand-rolled cigarillo infused with black rum from inside his smokewood humidor.

You ask, "And the Philosophers?"

Maltris asks Whiteburn, "Just to clarify, this female you are discussing, if it can at this point still be called female, is Tallnah or Zehira?"

Perune says, "Immortality."

Isharon says, "To usurp the gods."

Whiteburn says, "Tallnah."

Saragos touches a rustic cigarillo with a glowing finger, and it quickly catches fire.

Saragos puffs on his rustic cigarillo.

You ask, "Hm. I see. Not much use to immortality if the world ends, is there?"

You say, "It's no wonder they are opposed."

Saragos nods at you, obviously agreeing with your views.

Perune says, "Right, they won't achieve their goal."

Whiteburn says, "Although the corpse grub is surely a follower of this Islander, beyond a doubt."

Isharon says to you, "They also have a purely selfish interest in seeing their enemies' attention focused on another 'more dangerous' group so that they can continue their heretical work unopposed."

You nod to Isharon.

Whiteburn says, "I believe that Isharon is absolutely correct."

Khaelyn asks, "Have they fought amongst themselves?"

You say, "The interesting part to me is that they spoke in the notes as if they didn't realize that their own souls will be forsaken, and that they will inevitably attract demon attention. That tells me that if cured of their ignorance, they might be lured to repent."

Perune says, "The Islanders are an immediate threat, as all demon incursions are. The Philosophers are a long term threat that becoming closer to their goal all the time."

Whiteburn says, "As for the Islander him... or itself, I have never seen this being. I have been attempting to gather information."

Saragos says to Isharon, "A fair point to consider. If I were them, I'd be playing up the schism to get the heat off of me."

Whiteburn taps a compact interrogator's case of polished bloodwood with black iron fittings labeled "Inquisition" that she is wearing.

Saragos takes a long drag off of a burning rustic cigarillo.

Saragos allows a line of smoke to rise from his mouth. The scent of Copperleaf follows the image.

Isharon says, "The Philosophers? They all see themselves as masters and can scarcely form any hierarchical structure."

Mazrian just scooted a little closer to you.

You glance at Mazrian, a male Elf.

Perune says to you, "The idea is they don't plan on failing, they firmly believe they will achieve their victory. They do not think their souls will ever be in the hands of the Immortals."

Mazrian nods at Perune, obviously agreeing with his views.

You ask Perune, "And what of the demons? Do they not come to all necromancers like a moth to a flame?"

Isharon says, "Not much is known about Jeihrem save that he is a lich, dwells on an island in Qi, and is recruiting followers."

You ask, "Are they totally unaware that they are playing with a fire that could consume our universe?"

Perune says, "Of course. But if you debate demons with them it is pointless. They believe they can resist."

You scoff.

Saragos says to Perune, "At this point, frankly, they would see little upside in attempting redemption. In for a copper, in for a plat."

Isharon says to you, "Generally speaking, they remain willfully ignorant of the danger they pose to themselves and others."

Perune says, "You would serve yourself further by proving that their end goal, even if they avoid demonic entanglement, is not only worthless, it is bad for everyone."

Whiteburn says to you, "'tis a fool's mission to try and weave sense of a Necromancer's ravings and mad ambitions."

You say to Whiteburn, "Maybe so, but we must begin somewhere."

Perune nods to Saragos.

Mazrian says to Perune, "They believe they can succeed and overcome death. Going to be hard to talk them out of that one."

Qiyan nods to Mazrian.

Saragos says to Whiteburn, "Not sure about that. My experience with most forms of madness is that even when they're barking at the moon it still makes some sort of sense to them."

Qiyan asks, "So what can we do?"

Whiteburn wryly says, "A drowning man will say anything for the promise of air."

Perune says, "They possibly can succeed, the point is that it is a loss for everyone. Including themselves."

Mazrian quietly asks, "What we should be asking ourselves is what, practically, can we do?"

Mazrian nods at Qiyan, obviously agreeing with her views.

You nod to Mazrian.

Perune nods to Qiyan.

You say to Mazrian, "Precisely."

Saragos puffs on his rustic cigarillo.

You ask, "Now that we know their motives, relative locations, and general plans, what action should we take?"

Mazrian says, "We can't kill them permanently any more than they can kill us, generally speaking."

Mazrian sighs.

Perune says, "Always the biggest problem."

Mazrian says, "The perverse are dangerous because they're crazy violent and enthusiastic with it."

You say, "Qiyan suggested we gather intelligence," She pauses for a moment with a sour look on her face. "And direct them to fight one another."

Saragos says, "The gathering of the really dangerous ones is what concerns me."

Mazrian says, "The Philosophers are dangerous because they can sound so seductively reasonable."

Qiyan hiccups.

Saragos nods to you.

You say, "Another possibility is opening the door to redemption. One never knows, some of them might take it, and every necromancer we entice that way is one fully defeated, unlike the deaths they so easily recover from."

Saragos says to Qiyan, "I like that one, for a start."

Qiyan says, "Seems the easiest way."

Qiyan says, "Maybe we can infiltrate."

Qiyan says, "Feed them some rumors."

Perune says, "Redemption is a road, they can always fall back into Necromancy."

Qiyan says, "Some angst inducing rumors."

Perune says, "The lure is never defeated."

You say to Perune, "So can anyone."

Khaelyn says, "Grin qiy."

Saragos darkly says, "Infiltration is a dangerous game."

Perune asks, "Yes, but who's more likely to drink up?"

Khaelyn grins at Qiyan.

Qiyan nods to Saragos.

Whiteburn says to you, "If a Necromancer truly wished to repent, then he would turn himself in to be ritually cleansed and returned to the void. There is no other way."

Qiyan says to Saragos, "So very much so."

You ask Perune, "Without the ability to destroy their souls permanently, what other option do we have?"

Mazrian wryly says to Saragos, "We all stand out a bit amongst them."

Perune nods to you.

Saragos chuckles at Mazrian.

You say to Whiteburn, "I witnessed this once."

Perune says, "I just mention it because I think we need to be aware there is no short victory."

Mazrian quietly says to you, "We can back the Philosophers against the Perverse, then try to beat them at their own rhetorical game later."

You say, "To my surprise, the vision we received suggested that the necromancer was forgiven by the Immortals and accepted onto the Starry Road."

Saragos wryly says to Mazrian, "Oh sure, just walk up to them and say you've had a change of heart."

Saragos flashes a quick grin at Mazrian.

Saragos nods to Mazrian.

You ask Mazrian, "Back them?"

You grimace.

Whiteburn sharply says to you, "Explain."

Whiteburn fixes you with a cold, reptilian stare.

Qiyan says, "Well not openly."

Khaelyn asks, "The fact that they are divided, buys us some leeway, yes?"

Qiyan says, "Ot publicly."

Qiyan says, ""Not I mean."

Mazrian says to you, "Fight with them against the perverse. Don't interfere with the Philosophers unless they're being actively evil in our direction."

Qiyan hiccups.

Isharon says, "Their very existence is active evil."

Isharon scoffs.

Saragos nods to Mazrian.

You say to Whiteburn, "I was very young, new to the Crossing, so it was some time ago. However the captured necromancer was surrounded by a crowd of people suggesting, some demanding, repentance. He did so, and we saw his soul take to the Starry Road as so many others do."

Qiyan says, "So are so many other things."

Mazrian dryly says to Isharon, "You're welcome to knock them down until your blade wears out and you pull a muscle, of course. But they'll just get back up."

Qiyan says, "And sometimes ya have to turn a blind eye to it to see the greater good."

Whiteburn says to Mazrian, "Not always."

You say to Mazrian, "If we do that, we risk too much. We risk their earworms turning us toward necromancy. We risk society perceiving us as on the side of necromancy."

Isharon says to Mazrian, "I would sooner die of hopelessness than 'back' one of their factions."

Whiteburn firmly says, "As would I."

Perune folds his arms across his chest.

Khaelyn nods to Isharon.

You say, "On top of that, I am loyal to Zoluren and the Prince. I could not do something without his approval."

Maltris says to Mazrian, "I would rather pull a muscle and wear out my blade that take the side of of evil in attempt to attempt to defeat another evil."

Qiyan gazes upward.

Isharon says, "Besides, I think the Philosophers may very well pose the greater existential threat, in the long run."

Mazrian dryly says to Maltris, "But that is such a traditional play."

Saragos says, "That's a plan I favor. Look, we've got one side that's activeley dangerous, wants to destroy the world. We've got another side that think they're just fine, but are a danger to the world. We stop the immediate threat, buy ourselves some time, and we can work on burning out out the lesser cancer."

Mazrian rubs his neck.

You frown.

Mazrian nods at Saragos, obviously agreeing with his views.

Khaelyn grins at Maltris.

You mutter something into the air about warrior mages.

Saragos says, "Might be that if we don't stop the perverse ones, there won't be a long run."

Isharon says, "The cancer would grow while we turned our blades toward the fever."

Perune says, "Might be that they don't stay down either."

Qiyan says, "It ain't like y'all gotta be saying nice things about em and whatnot."

Saragos sighs.

Whiteburn says, "They should burn together."

Qiyan says, "This can be done... underhandedly."

You slowly say, "I can see the logic of the proposal. But I still don't like it."

Whiteburn says to Qiyan, "No good can come of supporting Necromancy. It is a sin and a crime against nature to not only permit their evil to continue, but to endorse it."

Saragos says, "I don't much like it either."

You ask, "I've always believed that, when faced with a threat, we must do it with our hearts and minds whole. What good is saving ourselves if who we are becomes corrupted?"

Mazrian touches a long dark grey cigarillo with a glowing finger, and it quickly catches fire.

Mazrian takes a long drag off of a burning dark grey cigarillo.

Mazrian exhales hastily, as if thankful the experience is over. He bites his bottom lip and waves the smoke away as fast as possible. The bitter scent of fresh rue emanates from the cigarillo as fragile tendrils fill the air with an acrid, vinegary aroma.

Qiyan exclaims to Whiteburn, "Yes exactly!"

Qiyan says to Whiteburn, "And the more you say that the more believeable you will be."

Mazrian quietly says to you, "You get the satisfaction of knowing other people, who are not you, are able to live out their lives without making choices like that."

Mazrian gazes at you.

Whiteburn gives Qiyan an irritated look, lashing her tail at the air.

Saragos says to Whiteburn, "I don't plan on endorsing anything. I see it like a street fight that's brewing. I'm thinking maybe tell these so-called Philosophers, 'Did you hear what they said about you? Are you going to let that stand?'. And then give 'em a good push towards the foe."

You frown at Mazrian.

Qiyan nods to Saragos.

Qiyan says, "Yeah! Like that."

Khaelyn says, "Let them wear each other down."

Whiteburn says to Mazrian, "Those people will have neither the opportunity nor the luxury to make such choices when our Kermoria is as the lands of the West."

Khaelyn says, "I like that plan."

Isharon nods at Whiteburn, obviously agreeing with her views.

Isharon says, "If necromancers wish to slaughter each other, I will not intervene, for their infighting diverts their efforts away from their goals, which we all acknowledge as grave threats. But as a Paladin, I will never 'back' a necromancer, either openly or in secret shame."

Saragos says to Mazrian, "I'm inclined to agree, but that's a dangerous road to walk down. The Four that cast the Voidspell probably thought similar things."

Khaelyn says to Isharon, "Well said."

Mazrian says to Saragos, "Undoubtedly."

Isharon says, "History is littered with examples of people consorting with necromancers or studying necromancy in order to better fight it, only to lose their rationality in the process."

Qiyan says to Isharon, "Which is why we need one so unexpecting, and stalwart and disciplined..."

Qiyan gazes at Isharon.

Saragos nods to Isharon.

You clear your throat.

You say, "Regardless, if we were to attempt anything at all, I would need the blessing of the crown."

Mazrian says, "There are the innocents to consider, too. I know I can't battle a necromancer in the city and spare the inhabitants while I do it."

You say, "I am now a public figure, soon to have an office within the castle. I cannot take to such matters and would need to excuse myself without such blessing."

Whiteburn says, "Even the most fortunate gambler may lose grasp of his luck. Indeed, I have seen it so. Though 'tis true they are stubborn in the manner in which they cling to life, I have seen and heard of Necromancers forsaken of even their own vile masters and left to Urrem'tier."

Saragos nods to Whiteburn.

Qiyan says to Mazrian, "You'd think they'd a learn to run by now when they see ya comin."

You say, "I can either excuse myself now, or seek to speak with him."

Perune says, "Hrmm."

Mazrian dryly says to Qiyan, "I'm not the biggest dog. I just have a mean bite."

Isharon says to Whiteburn, "The Temple once had an artifact that could strip them of their profane aegis."

Perune asks, "Out of curiosity, what does the Temple do now if it captures a Necromancer?"

Saragos says to you, "I'm not sure that's what's being suggested."

Mazrian says to Isharon, "It was lost during the Lyras war. Destroyed, I think."

You ask Perune, "I imagine they are imprisoned indefinitely in the Red Dungeon?"

Isharon says, "The Temple interrogates them as well."

Perune says, "Unless the dungeon is as large as the Temple, that does not sound very useful."

Isharon says to Mazrian, "Lost, but it gives hope that such a tool could be reinvented."

Whiteburn coldly says to Isharon, "And if it was still as it once was, I would take it up anon and make an end of this 'dilemma' here and now."

You say to Saragos, "I thought Mazrian suggested allying with the Philosophers. Qiyan suggested infiltrating them. Regardless of what I think of those plans, I'd need approval to do either."

Whiteburn says to Perune, "They are left to rot in the buzzard, I believe."

Mazrian says, "If we could be sure of ending them, I'd slaughter them to the last and anyone who happened to be within the blast radius along with them - just to be sure."

Mazrian shrugs.

Mazrian says, "But we can't."

Perune nods to Mazrian.

You say, "I have an important duty to the province and I cannot risk losing my position."

Saragos says, "I think, first, we continue to gather intelligence. That intelligence might present more concrete options that we don't have. But watching them beat the tar out of each other isn't the same as allying."

Khaelyn says, "I'd rather try to capture one and make it speak."

Saragos nods to Mazrian.

Isharon says, "That could be disastrous for the crown's reputation, to be seen as allying with necromancers. Lesser scandals have destroyed dynasties."

Whiteburn flashes a quick grin at Khaelyn.

Whiteburn nods at Isharon, obviously agreeing with her views.

Qiyan says, "I dun't think anyone really meant allying with em."

Perune asks, "What would the temple do if it could capture both factions?"

Perune says, "Or, a significant portion."

Whiteburn says to Perune, "There is no difference between Islander or Philosopher. Both would likely find themselves at the mercy of Aldauth within the Red Buzzard."

Isharon says to Qiyan, "Unless I misunderstood, Mazrian suggested we 'back the Philosophers against the Perverse'."

Perune asks, "Can it hold that many?"

You say to Isharon, "It could indeed be disastrous. I would not suggest allying openly, certainly. Other than that, what the Prince chooses to do is up to him."

Saragos asks Perune, "Good question. Does the Temple still have avenues for dealing with them in a final manner? Or is imprisonment the only option?"

Mazrian says, "What I propose amounts to more or less what we end up doing anyway. If the Perverse attack, we are going to respond to that and we're probably going to have our hands full enough without attacking the Philosophers."

Qiyan says, "Only in that we don't get in their way of doing what they can."

You say to Saragos, "They lost the artifact that allows them to permanently eliminate them."

You nod to Mazrian.

Mazrian nods to Qiyan.

Isharon says to you, "Even the dark road is perilous for the crown to tread. Word could certainly get out, and the prince would be left only with plausible deniability as a defense."

Saragos says to you, "I've heard that. I was just wondering if there are any other options."

You say to Saragos, "I don't think so."

Isharon says, "If they have more powerful tools, it is something they are keeping to themselves."

Perune says, "Perhaps one should find out."

Saragos nods to Perune.

You say to Isharon, "I know. I'm aware of the dangers. But I won't make his decisions for him. I think at the very lease he should be informed of these notes."

Isharon exclaims to Perune, "That is a tough nut to crack!"

Perune says, "What their response would be to capturing large amounts of necromancers."

Whiteburn carefully says, "I could attempt to learn what I can of such matters."

Perune says, "If I were to wager a bet, I would wager many of these battles will take place in Crossing."

You nod to Whiteburn.

Mazrian nods at Perune, obviously agreeing with his views.

Perune says, "Wagering further, knowing that both of these sides cannot kill each other without breaking the plane.."

Perune says, "They will either break the plane, or eventually come to an accord."

Perune says, "Capturing them at that point is a matter of manipulation."

Saragos says, "I feel like we're talking around each other a bit. I've no intention of allying with a Necromancer. I'd not mind giving them a little push to fight each other and then taking down the one left over, though."

You nod to Saragos.

You say, "Well, that is better to hear."

Perune nods to Saragos.

Khaelyn nods to Saragos.

Perune says, "I did not expect anyone really wanted to have dinner with them."

You say, "So we can agree on a few things. Gathering more information. Fighting those necromancers who attack us."

Qiyan smirks at Perune.

You ask, "Mazrian, Saragos, how do you propose giving this little 'push' to fight each other?"

Qiyan says, "Instigate."

You raise an eyebrow in Qiyan's direction.

Qiyan says, "These random notes being left seems to have stirred the pot."

You ask, "Instigate how?"

Perune says, "Instigation is difficult, bashing egos won't incite the Philosophers. Demonic rituals might."

Qiyan says, "Why not... contribute."

You gaze thoughtfully at Qiyan.

A pained expression crosses Whiteburn's face.

You ask, "Our own public notice?"

Qiyan peers quizzically at Perune.

Qiyan asks Perune, "Demonic rituals?"

Perune says to Qiyan, "I am not suggesting you try to commune with Maelshyve."

Qiyan says, "Thank you."

You ask, "What exactly are you all suggesting?"

Qiyan says, "Ya'd be suggesting a bit much fer me."

Perune says, "But if you see someone who might make that a hobby in the city, you may alert one of these other idiots that their enemies are doing that in the streets and you're scared."

Saragos says, "I think if we gather enough intelligence, an avenue to instigate might present itself. If we can get some good info on the Perverse, we might seek these same boards and subtly propagandize against them."

Whiteburn snorts, loudly.

Saragos nods to Perune.

Mazrian nods to Saragos.

Mazrian dryly says, "Trolling Zehira a little might not hurt, either."

Saragos says, "Name and shame might work too, if we see Perverse acting on the streets here. Get them hunting themselves too."

Qiyan says to Saragos, "Yeah... well said and all."

Mazrian nods at Saragos, obviously agreeing with his views.

Perune chuckles at Mazrian.

You nod to Saragos.

You ask, "Gather intelligence how? Anything different from what we have been doing?"

Whiteburn disgustedly says, "I would not see the day in which I appeal to a Necromancer for aid."

Qiyan says, "Well Perune seems to be on the right track with his source."

Khaelyn nods to Qiyan.

Perune says to Whiteburn, "No, and if you did, no one would believe you."

Isharon says to Whiteburn, "It might be done indirectly, by notifying the public."

Perune says, "It would have to be someone unknown to this type of conflict."

Perune nods to Isharon.

Perune says, "Also a good idea."

Perune says, "Largely the idea is sabotaging two fools, not befriending one to help you."

Saragos says to Whiteburn, "I understand. I do. But we've all killed some Necromancers here, likely, who are still walking around. We've been at this a number of years now. It might be time to start looking at this as a war of attrition."

Isharon says, "Though that could also cause a lot of casualties, as it will attract fighters from all sides."

Perune says to Qiyan, "My information was mostly based on luck. I did not seek it or expect it, but I think the Philosophers are fishing for help and this person who consorts with them told me about the Islanders."

Qiyan says to Perune, "And that is how its best done."

Isharon says, "I fear there is not much we can do to existing necromancers that they can't walk away from, and the same likely applies to necromancers slinging spells at each other. While I am not suggesting that we leave their power unchecked when it is unleashed, I think the best we can hope for is to deter others from falling (or sympathizing with the fallen)."

Mazrian nods at Isharon, obviously agreeing with her views.

Saragos nods to Isharon.

You nod to Isharon.

Isharon says, "The fewer allies they have, the fewer rat holes they have to shelter in, the longer their goals take to achieve."

You say, "Inquisitors, I'd still like you to consider the possibility of offering some kind of redemption."

Qiyan says to Isharon, "That is a noble approach to take as well, and one that would help the most, I bet."

Isharon says to you, "I am mortal. Only the gods can choose whether to offer redemption and on what terms."

You say, "Even if they are not likely to take it."

You nod to Isharon.

You say to Isharon, "Of course. But I have witnessed the gods do this myself. I only ask that we consider a way to tell the necromancers that it is possible, and give them an avenue to seek it."

Isharon says, "I would of course encourage any necromancer to seek redemption, but it is not mine to grant."

You say, "I understand."

Whiteburn says, "Indeed."

Isharon says, "I believe we should increase, shall we say, social pressure on those who knowingly support necromancers in any capacity."

You ask, "But perhaps they might come to you when seeking it, and you would guide them in what to do?"

Qiyan asks, "How?"

Isharon says, "We may not win hearts and minds with that approach, but fear and shame are better than nothing."

Qiyan asks, "Shame them in the streets?"

Whiteburn nods at Isharon, obviously agreeing with her views.

Isharon says, "Ostracize them from polite society. Withdraw our support from them when they need goods or services. Do not heal them or raise them."

Saragos says, "Talking to any Necromancer is dangerous, even the ones that call themselves Philosophers. Regardless of their ends, you can never be sure if the words coming from their mouth are theirs or are corrupted by demons. Perhaps we could try to make this point more well-known."

Isharon nods at Saragos, obviously agreeing with his views.

Whiteburn says to Saragos, "A goodly point."

Qiyan gnaws on her lip.

Maltris says to Saragos, "That would be a cause I could get behind."

Khaelyn nods to Saragos.

Isharon says, "Education is the other tip of the spear, the one that appeals to our nobler motives."

Qiyan says to Perune, "There go our sources."

Perune asks Qiyan, "Are they dead?"

You nod to Saragos.

You say, "I think a lecture on the dangers of necromancy would be excellent, though I would note that one-time lectures tend to hit a few people and then fade in memory quickly. Perhaps there is a way to bring it up more regularly."

Qiyan says, "No, its true, shaming and shunning em would work..."

Isharon says to Qiyan, "I think rats will always squeal. Maybe not to a known Inquisitor, but to ears they think sympathetic."

Saragos says, "I don't think there's a problem with talking to someone who already talks to them."

Saragos nods to Isharon.

Mazrian nods at you, obviously agreeing with your views.

Qiyan shrugs.

Mazrian says, "Would you all excuse me, please? I need to get back to the kids."

You nod to Mazrian.

Perune nods to Mazrian.

Perune says, "Be well."

You say, "Thank you for coming Mazrian. A good meeting."

Isharon says to you, "Different guilds and races giving their perspectives on necromancy could provide ample material for a series of lectures."

Mazrian nods at you, obviously agreeing with your views.

Mazrian says, "Let me know what you decide."

Khaelyn says, "Forgive me as well."

You say to Isharon, "So an entire series. Very interesting."

Perune grins at Khaelyn.

Khaelyn says, "Do take care all."

Mazrian walks through the door.

You say to Khaelyn, "Thank you too for coming."

Perune says to Khaelyn, "I'll think about it."

Isharon says, "An Empath would likely have a different take -- and appeal to a different audience -- than a Cleric."

Khaelyn walks through the door.

Saragos says, "I think it's a good idea."

You say, "We could also do some historical tales."

You say, "Most everyone was affected by Lyras, but some were born after, and memories fade."

Isharon nods in agreement.

Isharon says, "The Rakash and Prydaen, in particular, have an ancestral warning that is hard to ignore."

Qiyan asks, "Could these maybe be more like folk tales told in a tavern?"

Maltris says, "That isn't a healthy Ranger howl..."

Saragos says, "One thing we'll need to be prepared for, though - what we'll do if someone comes to 'set the record straight'."

You nod to Qiyan.

Isharon says to Saragos, "We set THEIR record straight."

You say, "The common people do react better to... such common performances."

You sigh.

Qiyan says, "I think you need to appeal to a different mindset than like lecture hall students."

Perune asks Qiyan, "You don't want to hear my classes?"

Isharon says, "Different types of events to cover as many audiences as possible."

Maltris says, "Sadly I must find my way to nature, these city walls are closing in on me."

You say to Qiyan, "For that reason I have been collecting some props that may aid in such a... simple endeavor."

Qiyan says to Perune, "Only if yer drinkin will I listen."

Perune nods to Maltris.

Qiyan grunts at Maltris.

Maltris waves.

Whiteburn folds her arms across her chest.

Qiyan says to Maltris, "Can't take you anywhere."

Whiteburn asks you, "Props?"

You nod to Maltris.

Qiyan grins at Maltris.

Maltris says, "I greatly appreciate the invitation."

You say to Maltris, "Your perspective has been appreciated."

Maltris says, "I will always happily and eagerly shoot arrows into necromancers, philosopher or not."

Qiyan smirks.

Qiyan says, "I knew he'd fit in good."

Qiyan nods.

You say, "I think that we have come up with some good ideas at this meeting, but I can sense fatigue is setting in."

Perune nods to you.

Isharon nods at you, obviously agreeing with your views.

You say, "I suggest that we adjourn and consider our options, and meet again sometime soon."

Perune says, "I have to rest myself. I need to do some things in the morn."

Perune says, "I am glad I could share what I was told though."

You say, "I was glad to see so many of us here. Maybe we can attract even more, who knows."

You nod to Perune.

Whiteburn says to you, "I will investigate the matter regarding the Temple."

Qiyan nods to you.

You say to Perune, "Keep your ears open. I may be interested in meeting this person of yours myself sometime too, if you think it wouldn't scare him off."

You nod to Whiteburn.

Perune says, "Everyone here likely has."

Qiyan raises an eyebrow.

You say to Whiteburn, "And please do ask about redemption, and those in the Temple who may have witnessed it."

You frown.

You nod to Perune.

Whiteburn gives a slight nod.

Perune says, "Have a good evening, all."

You say, "Good evening to you all. Thank you again for all your open discussion."

Whiteburn gravely says to you, "Although I believe the only redemption is allowing oneself to be purged in the fires of the Red Spiral."

Qiyan says, "Thank you for having us."

Whiteburn says, "I thank you for inviting me to this discussion. I will take your words to heart and I shall be in touch."

You say to Whiteburn, "I respect and appreciate your view, Mother. I do however think that discussion amongst the clergy would be wise."

You say, "Take care, and good evening."

Whiteburn says, "May we all remember the Storm that we may see His wrath assuaged."
Re: A discreet meeting 09/01/2017 07:45 PM CDT
Interesting, thanks for sharing.

Thanks,
-Life Weaver Karthor