Part time assassins 09/02/2011 10:23 AM CDT
Can we change assassins so that you can't accept a hit without being locked open for a certain period of time (a day at least)? It's pretty lame when someone joins just so they can see if they can get a hit then leave within minutes. Alternately, force them to stay in the assassin pool for a few days.
Re: Part time assassins 04/07/2012 03:23 PM CDT
>>Can we change assassins so that you can't accept a hit without being locked open for a certain period of time (a day at least)? It's pretty lame when someone joins just so they can see if they can get a hit then leave within minutes. Alternately, force them to stay in the assassin pool for a few days.

I don't think that would result in more applicants...when I get a wild hair on a Sat. night it doesn't mean that Monday morning I want to be doing the same thing in game.

The join/leave assassins are just fine. Some people want to just be the hunter...which is exactly what an assassin traditionally is. Checking who's playing every 20 minutes is onerous, I'll grant you, but the alternative is the possible reduction of an already small population (made smaller by a necessary system of skill checks).

In short, I'd have to disagree with the entirety of your suggestion.

Introducing benefits for people staying in the game is really the way to go. Titles that are dependent on participation/number of kills. Access to otherwise restricted areas (shops, lounges etc)

What I'd really be interested in seeing is a player-run assassin 'guild' or order. I've been kicking around the idea of a website, rules, ranks etc. If there's enough interest in it I'll post the details and publish a site. I'm actually pretty surprised no one has done it yet even without the game in place (with open pvp persons).

Even without further development, code-wise, there's a lot of room for improvement from the player end.

People will find you just as tedious and boring to talk to at 1000 ranks as they did at 100.
Re: Part time assassins 04/07/2012 03:30 PM CDT
Being a ninja assassin is what I originally trained Leilond for, but he's sorta ended up in the wandering duelist role :/

~Leilond
http://tinyurl.com/Leilond-Portrait
http://drzeal.forumotion.com Learn How to PvP!
Re: Part time assassins 04/23/2012 04:37 PM CDT
Is the game ever still played here in DR?

Curious.
Re: Part time assassins 04/23/2012 04:41 PM CDT
Do you have death messages on? I've seen 3 or 4 "x assassinated y" over the past day.
Re: Part time assassins 04/23/2012 04:44 PM CDT
My problem with it is twofold.

First off, it is incredibly difficult if you are not a few select guilds (MM/WM, and to a lesser extent Ranger), to even get a general idea of where your target is (province). Beyond that is actually locating them in that target province. If I can't find them, everything else is moot.

Secondly is actually getting targets. This is one of those self defeating things. No one plays it, because no one plays it. Although I think the first problem contributes to the second one.

An "ASSASIN FIND" that gives me either just room name (no desc), or at least some kind of assistance in locating the target would go a long way in getting non-MM or WMs, and thus more people, to play (those are the only ones I've been given as targets/been targeting me the last times I've played).

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Part time assassins 04/23/2012 05:08 PM CDT
IMO there should be an assassins sect similar to Assassin's Creed. Things to include:

- A host of titles/fun-rewards for participating.
- Benefits/rewards outside of money.
- Occasionally an NPC assassin that spawns to kill you that flexes slightly above your skill level.
- A way to ask the sect about clues about where your mark is or was upon last logoff, with general information akin to treasure maps or some such.
- A way to request harder marks for more reward/benefits.
- A way to 'retire' for a time without losing all of your assassin credit. (i.e. you don't get assigned marks and you aren't placed on a hit list) Maybe a slow status decay similar to workorders, albiet much slower.
- Occasionally being assigned to take out a named NPC rather than a player, which would help during the downtime when other player assassins aren't playing. (A random NPC of whatever class is generated to wander a random city or area whenever you accept the mark. The NPCs stats would flex to your own, or slightly higher. It would be assigned random spells and abilities based on the class.)
- A way to ask the sect about some general information regarding the mark, such as race, guild or otherwise. You'd more than likely pay a hefty amount of coin to get this option, and it would only be available if that character is displaying his/her appearance and guild or guild-related title.

~Leilond
http://tinyurl.com/Leilond-Portrait
http://drzeal.forumotion.com Learn How to PvP!
Re: Part time assassins 04/23/2012 10:59 PM CDT
>>Occasionally being assigned to take out a named NPC rather than a player, which would help during the downtime when other player assassins aren't playing. (A random NPC of whatever class is generated to wander a random city or area whenever you accept the mark. The NPCs stats would flex to your own, or slightly higher. It would be assigned random spells and abilities based on the class.)

I really like this idea, I have seen it suggested before. The whole aspect of potentially hunting down NPCs to assassinate is a bit exciting, I'd like to see some variations to the NPCs if this becomes possible. Variations would be manipulated by things like your guild, political affiliations, citizenship... could even tie in the Social Outrage system.

I could see necromancers getting contracted to hunt down Paladins (NPCs) from the Hounds of Rutilor....

Thieves getting contracted to hunt down a Zoluren Emissary...

Rangers getting contracted to hunt down a High Lord Merchant...

Paladins getting contracted to hunt down a Nefarious soul-tainted Paladin....

ect...
ect...
Re: Part time assassins 04/23/2012 11:17 PM CDT
<<The whole aspect of potentially hunting down NPCs to assassinate is a bit exciting>>

How is this different that say, task boss hunting or the proposed boss critters that will drop special crafting materials?

Assassins really should just be a character vs character, i think.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Part time assassins 04/24/2012 12:00 AM CDT
>>How is this different that say, task boss hunting or the proposed boss critters that will drop special crafting materials?

I'm a proponent of that also, notorious monster hunting style stuff... but then people will start the whole farming ordeal, and that in itself is an entirely different subject. However, it would be different on multitude of levels. Willingly emerging your character into a system that would be linked with the Social Outrage parameters in accordance to your particular role play. Potentially, according to how invested we go in this route there could be a faction system set up so you can work your way towards certain rewards: titles, assassin gear, ect.

As a majority though, I'm all for keeping the game strictly character vs character. But as the game stands, it's not exciting enough to even attract 20% of the people online out 500 players. That speaks for itself. Just throwing ideas out there, really. The game was sorta just released, patched up a bit and pretty much abandoned at this point though.
Re: Part time assassins 04/24/2012 12:59 AM CDT
I am completely unfamiliar with either the TASK system or the Assassin's Game, but how about merging the two together in some way. How about if the TASK system had a chance to assign a PC or NPC kill that you could take and would gain ranking for the Assassin's Game in place of any loots a boss critter or other task might give out.

It might be kind of neat to maybe ask a Guild Leader (I'm not really sure if GL's are part of the TASK system tbh) for a task and they tell you to hunt down and kill PC Soandso because they've been disrespecting that guild, or they have killed a fellow guild member. In return you get ranking in the Assassin's Game (is there such a thing?) along with payment from the GL (or maybe scrip for the scrip shop?) for completing the task. The PC selected would have to be joined to the Assassin's Game as would you in order to receive this task.

maybe it's more complex than what i've tried to describe, but hopefully at least the basic concept i'm trying to explain is understood.

Blackguard Danoryiel

"Sogan udazama umbunor fau arrazoi inishatu seiremisai. (Only the fallen have nothing to despair)"
Re: Part time assassins 04/25/2012 11:30 AM CDT

>Do you have death messages on? I've seen 3 or 4 "x assassinated y" over the past day.

Yes. I wasn't aware that was messaging purely based on people playing the game...Well with being a week old to this game and all, I'm still learning things :)
Re: Part time assassins 04/25/2012 02:28 PM CDT
All I can say if there was a move to somehow integrate Assassin's with Tasks, there should be a way for people to avoid/decline Assassin Tasks if they want. Better yet, restrict Assassin Tasks to specific, "hard to find" task NPCs.

It seems that all the changes are exciting enough people have nagged a few actual newbs into the game. I would hate for the possibility of a Real New Player accidentally racking up SO without realizing it. For that matter, some truly long time departed players are returning also. I would not want them to accidentally stumble into the SO system with an Assassin Task not realizing the consequences.
Re: Part time assassins 05/02/2012 03:38 PM CDT
I know I'm late to this commentary, but I wanted to add my two kronars. I was in the Assassin Game for some time and finally left because I kept having to travel out of my hunting area just to get my targets. I also kept getting the same targets repeatedly. Ultimately, I wasn't willing to travel from Boar Clan to Crossing just to run around and see if I could find my target (though... thanks to the moon mage friends, I could at least find them in general) who I'd already killed once (sometimes twice) before. I did like how the Assassin's Game showed me where my strengths and weaknesses were compared to others of my same general skill level, but I have the same complaint that there are just too few players. Plus, it did really suck the one time I was assassinated after getting combats locked... If I can bring myself to move back to Crossing, I'd be in assassins full time, but as it is, the inability to find my targets coupled with the poor showing of other Assassins makes playing an Assassin tedious.

-Enthien's Player

"Sometimes I have parties at my house in Nashville and it's clothing-optional, and we just body-paint each other and run around." -Ke$ha