bug 07/26/2010 02:18 PM CDT
this morning I joined the assasin que and began cycling through the list of names, like so;

assa req
profile <target>
not online
assa aba
assa req

and so on.

I got to the end of the list, was offered no more contracts, checked my status and nobody was hunting me. I left the assasin que so that I could hunt in peace for a while before checking the que for targets again.

Soon after I get a bolt in my arm. We resolved the conflict, and it wasn't a big deal, but from the programming side, there is a problem going on somewhere and I just wanted to let you know.

Thanks again for adding this.
Re: bug 07/26/2010 02:48 PM CDT
You could also do ASSASSIN REQUEST ONLINE :).

I'm not sure what problem you're describing - Somebody attacking you just for fun?

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: bug 07/26/2010 02:51 PM CDT
no, they sincerely thought that I was their contract.

I would type assa stat and it would tell me that I wasn't part of the assassin game right now.

Luckily he was slightly younger than me, so I had the time to talk to him.

So, I had left the game, and if the person who shot me can be believed, and I think they can based on the conversation I had with them, I had a contract on me just after I left the game.
Re: bug 07/26/2010 03:03 PM CDT
Ah, got it. Should be fixed.

Sidenote: Starting today, if you've had your target for more than two RL days, he can leave the assassins system. You are advised to check ASSASSIN STATUS to see if your target is still your target if you've waited that long to kill him.

To clarify: If you were targeted before today, you will still need to wait two days.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: bug 07/26/2010 03:33 PM CDT
This really seems like an awesome release. The only real complaint ive heard is in the way it groups by skill, you often wind up just having the same 4 or 5 people cycling through each other over and over again.

I was thinking it might be more fun and definitely more exciting if the ranges were widened a bit both ways. You'd get more variety of people to fight with, but also a slightly greater chance that youd go after someone and find out your a bit over your head, or vice versa.

I dont really think itd be that big of a problem, as theres a pretty large margin + and - skill level that you can still kill pretty much anyone with some creativity and planning.

Just a thought.

Eladrin
Re: bug 07/26/2010 03:37 PM CDT
I think you should be able to request a bigger target for a larger reward, don't really like going the other way unless it's for less of a reward and the difference isn't that great.
Re: bug 07/26/2010 03:57 PM CDT
smaller targets for little to no reward?

You can't sell the spectacular view, so why bother to appraise it?
Re: bug 07/26/2010 04:09 PM CDT
The current range seems pretty much perfect at the lower levels (100-200 ranks), for what it's worth. I like the idea of an option to increase risk for increased reward though!

---

~Kevalia~
Re: bug 07/26/2010 05:24 PM CDT
I concur on the requesting bigger targets, but am totally against lower targets as it seems like it just amounts to griefing.

I'm not 100% but the system may lean toward that end as it is, giving more leeway for the Assassin to take on a bigger contract but not necessarily for smaller ones. I say this because my friend and I both get similar names as targets and he has targeted me twice, though I've never gotten his name once.
Re: bug 07/26/2010 05:51 PM CDT
>>I'm not 100% but the system may lean toward that end as it is

Yep. Since offense is king in DR, and surprise gives one player a HUGE offensive bonus, the range scales up a bit. I'm still tweaking the numbers and might increase the natural higher range (I never hear about somebody complaining their target is TOO hard). I also like the idea of requesting a higher target (though the target won't be worth that much more, I don't think).

--

Re: bug 07/26/2010 05:53 PM CDT
I would love to be able to request a tougher target, even if there's no extra reward. Just sayin'.

This idea may have worked in another time and another place, but here it immediately fell on its face and went "Durp durp." - Armifer
Re: bug 07/26/2010 05:53 PM CDT
>> (I never hear about somebody complaining their target is TOO hard)

I had one my cleric couldn't hit, but I think that's more user error than anything. Not learning disabler spells before going into a PvP situation = my fault, not yours.

I will continue to get blunter on this topic until people get the message or my posts contain enough profanity to be removed. - Armifer
Re: bug 07/26/2010 06:36 PM CDT
thank you for putting a timer on being a target, i have only had one person come after me (but they failed)

i was somebody elses target the rest of the time since release, i found it quite annoying they could log out and keep you as a target.

also.. and i know this has been brought up but could you add a counter for how many times you've been assassinated?

it could look something like this

You have killed # targets.
You have been killed by # of your targets.
You have killed # assassins that were targeting you.
You have been assassinated # time(s).
Nobody is targeting you.
You don't have a target.

i think that it would make the system a little more spiffy. thanks in advance!

You turn a deep ebony lockpick case set with smooth onyx plates labeled "Graverobber" in the light, admiring it.
Re: bug 07/26/2010 07:24 PM CDT
Would it be possible to automatically add a line to a player's PROFILE if they are currently in the assassin list? It could make it quicker to ascertain what is going on in some situations, potentially, specifically for those Empaths who are getting caught in the middle. Not crucial by any means, but it would be a nice addition I think.
Re: bug 07/26/2010 08:56 PM CDT
bug:
Teel's silver glow flares.
Added Assassin Effect for 1 second.
Moving as one fluid extension of power, Rifkinn thrusts a deep grey sabre with a supple leather grip at Teel. Teel barely blocks with a dark stained target shield. The sabre lands a powerful (11/23) strike that pierces clean through the abdomen and out the back (Shiskabob!)!
Re: bug 07/26/2010 08:59 PM CDT
>>(I never hear about somebody complaining their target is TOO hard).

I've actually had two that were hilariously out of my range on my moon mage. The issue was that we were all sort of sandbagged in skills in different ways that it caused a huge gap. One of the targets was a 150th empath (vs. my 104 MM). I'm guessing here our combats were somewhat aligned, but his stats dwarfed mine to the point of not being able to land a single hit even when using every single form of hax available to me.

The other was an 80 or 90 something thief that is a well known sandbagger on his offense and stealths, and I just couldn't get him out of inviso before getting one shotted. Not as bad as the first situation obviously. Other than that though, on other characters..seems pretty balanced for the most part. My thief has enjoyed the match ups he's gotten tremendously.