re: Assassins! 07/23/2010 06:36 PM CDT
I think people need to remember first that this IS a game. One that you can either opt in to or not. But also that as the target, unless you've figured out who your assassin is, you will be at a disadvantage to some degree. But, that works both ways. You have the advantage, as the assassin, of your target being unaware of who is coming for them (unless they find you out). I fully expect to get owned while I'm hunting if I choose to hunt while I'm a target. It would be silly to expect an assassin to wait until it's a convenient time for you.

~Kattena

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
re: Assassins! 07/23/2010 06:39 PM CDT
I added a 10 minute timer to block out the person that you just abandoned. I'm investigating why sometimes the messages aren't showing up though, that's weird.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
re: Assassins! 07/23/2010 06:39 PM CDT
>"hunting" as in hasn't taken you down? What makes you think you can't get them?

Either you're playing dumb very well, or you honestly have no idea how mental blast works when you have several thousand TDPs of advantage.
re: Assassins! 07/23/2010 06:41 PM CDT
Ummmm if you let them mental blast you I suppose. Different combat methods for everyone I guess.
re: Assassins! 07/23/2010 06:42 PM CDT
I give your troll 3/10
re: Assassins! 07/23/2010 06:43 PM CDT
>>Again, call out to all the noobs, low levels join the game!
> find oly

There are no adventurers in the realms that match the names specified.

:(
re: Assassins! 07/23/2010 06:43 PM CDT
<<A lot of moon mages are 100+ with the combats of a 30-40 barb...

In my case, we happen to know each other, we are right around the same place combat wise. I was just making the point that I think it's only combat skills.

BAILOUTS
From each according to his ability, to each according to his lack thereof.
re: Assassins! 07/23/2010 07:23 PM CDT
Since I got no answer the first time, I will ask again.

Is there going to be an event to make it all sensible IC, or will the NPCs talk about something that creates a story? Everyone suddenly deciding to run around killing everyone else should at least be accompanied by some sort of new pollen blowing in that makes everyone insane.

Does not really affect me since, as I mentioned, my character would not be involved in mercenary things, but I am not understanding the RP motivation behind the sudden influx in murderous bounty hunters.
re: Assassins! 07/23/2010 07:49 PM CDT
<<Joining this game is live in Prime only at this time. >>

obligatory request for plat.

2. <<I've spoken to the wonderful Lyneya and determined that kills made by GSes will count towards Assassins things.>>

That being the case, would it be possible to tweak the task system for empaths to do "boss" tasks in the "task" system via the use of GS?

3. If empaths can have GS's count, does it also count for a necro to use their zombie to kill someone?

:-)

Necromancy provides the only source of reliable and potent life extension on Elanthia.

re: Assassins! 07/23/2010 07:54 PM CDT
>>obligatory request for plat.

There's no reason to put this in Plat or TF for the same reasons. If you want to assasinate someone go do it. In Plat RP out an assasination. In TF, it's TF. Also in both instances the number of players and the range of circles/skills is so spread out that you'll end up fighting the same 2-3 people (max) all the time.
re: Assassins! 07/23/2010 08:01 PM CDT
>There's no reason to put this in Plat or TF for the same reasons. If you want to assasinate someone go do it. In Plat RP out an assasination. In TF, it's TF. Also in both instances the number of players and the range of circles/skills is so spread out that you'll end up fighting the same 2-3 people (max) all the time.

Pretty much this. I'm going to guess that anyone who would play the game is already open in Plat.

-pete
re: Assassins! 07/24/2010 11:44 PM CDT
>>Is there going to be an event to make it all sensible IC

The short answer: No.
Long answer: No one has presented a plan to the Events Team related to the event, and therefore I am assuming no plan exists. However, I do have delusions of self importance when I assume that all plans for major events get run by us. It is entirely possible that someone has plans they didn't run by the eTeam yet.

Here is how I see the IG situation:
There is no government, guild, or recognized organization sanctioning this activity. Citizens killing citizens has been going on for ages. Occasionally it has been raised to the level of sport in confined areas such as the cemetery. At first blush this "game" looks like just another expression of that tendency. Governments might not like it and some guilds may worry about being linked with these activities, but so far it has not gotten out of hand. The potentially troubling fact is that there are bounties being paid and a system where assignments are given.

We will have to see what happens in the long run.
re: Assassins! 07/25/2010 12:42 AM CDT
based on historical lore, i can see some type of "rattler" figure <based on the raspy voice>, although obviously not connected with the "official" guild <they would definately not want the attention - and if they wanted people offed, nobody would ever find the bodies- <with one possible exception>, who worships aldauth <enjoys seeing painful deaths> as being behind it.

Necromancy provides the only source of reliable and potent life extension on Elanthia.

re: Assassins! 07/25/2010 01:59 AM CDT
<<The short answer: No.>>
<<Long answer: No one has presented a plan to the Events Team related to the event, and therefore I am assuming no plan exists. However, I do have delusions of self importance when I assume that all plans for major events get run by us. It is entirely possible that someone has plans they didn't run by the eTeam yet.>>

Right.

As Socharis pointed out, there are no plans to attempt to justify this in an IC fashion.

Solomon

Be our Facebook Pal!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/DragonRealms/60215414412
re: Assassins! 07/25/2010 02:13 AM CDT
>>As Socharis pointed out, there are no plans to attempt to justify this in an IC fashion.

A passerby passes by passing a nervous passed glance while passively pressing, "Some locals are saying that a group of sociopaths are hiring ASSASSINS! I hope that no one here tries to find out about ASSASSINS because being an ASSASSIN is a very bad thing!"

RPA + GM event badge please!
re: Assassins! 07/25/2010 02:52 AM CDT
We don't have to be spoon fed reasons for things to be IC. Things can be what you make of them. Not everyone has to follow the same path for it. That is what makes DR so great. Quests are optional, not everyone is a hero, not everyone is here to safe the day. Some people just want to kill.

It can be:
Someone felt wronged by target and and a contract was put on them.
Target is a known criminal and you are a bounty hunter.
If target is in your guild you can say the guild leader sent you to straighten them out.
You just plain don't like the person..

You can even look at it from just a flat out game point of view. People have tournaments.. that is nothing new. This is a high stakes game of cat and mouse. The stake is your life. Someone is after you, you are after someone. Cash prizes for killing your target and a 'safety' period for killing your attacker.

Grixlek says, "Courage is dangerous, it leads to attempts at heroics..."
Vegas asks, "What like dating?"
Grixlek says, "Nothing that dangerous I believe, but still crazy stuff."
re: Assassins! 07/25/2010 03:08 AM CDT
>>You can even look at it from just a flat out game point of view. People have tournaments.. that is nothing new. This is a high stakes game of cat and mouse. The stake is your life. Someone is after you, you are after someone. Cash prizes for killing your target and a 'safety' period for killing your attacker.

This.

>>I respect what both Vinjince and yourself are trying to do, but let us be frank: It was designed as an OOC game and not integrated into the RP atmosphere on purpose, and there's numerous reasons why it won't fit well.

And who says since it's already intregrated in the game that it can't be played as IC also? From my understanding the GMs have refused to introduce it in an IC fashion, but for some it's not an introduction at all. If you want to be harsh on it being supported by OOC mechanics then you should do the same with circling in your guild and gaining experience.

>>If you really want me to lay out all the reasons it doesn't fit well ICly, I will. Otherwise it's probably better just to tell you to do whatever you'd like and good luck.

And shall I lay out all the reasons why many parts of DR can be labeled 'quasi-ooc' if we want to be nitpicky with it? Everything from regular hunting, to wars, to GMPCs, to guild registers, to circling and experience can be ripped apart if you like. Spells that suddenly appear out of thin air without any kind of lore or background. Would it be quasi-ooc to use those spells?

No, instead I won't be so critical on the small details. And that's what makes DR fun for me and a lot of others I know. It isn't about being a perfectionist. Everything doesn't have to fit in flawlessly because in the end it's just a game.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
re: Assassins! 07/25/2010 07:44 AM CDT
>>And who says since it's already intregrated in the game that it can't be played as IC also? From my understanding the GMs have refused to introduce it in an IC fashion, but for some it's not an introduction at all. If you want to be harsh on it being supported by OOC mechanics then you should do the same with circling in your guild and gaining experience.

It has nothing to do with it being supported by OOC mechanics, as you stated, everything is supported by OOC mechanics.

The game isn't very IC because it appears out of thin air and continues on eternally. There are no real IC entities employing you, there is no society for the game populace to re-act to.

The game is filled with numerous people taking it for what it is, a OOC text based version of Assassins Creed: Brotherhood for DR. You have people who play characters that have to at least appear moral (because the character they RP requires it) who have mysteriously done 180s because now they're out assassinating people because: Hey, this is fun.

Which is fine because they're playing the Assassins Game, but attempting to justify that IC is silly, the game wasn't meant to be justified. If it was, the Governments and the Guilds would probably start taking the massive number of hits coming in daily more seriously, people who have Government Positions that are participating would be removed. People who have contracted a number of assassinations(like your character) would start being exiled from active governments.

None of this is going to happen because it's slated to not affect the IC world.

Like I said, I respect what you're up to. I know how you've played Vinjince and you're one of the guys I respect most in the game. I'm just trying to be straight forward with how this is working out currently.
re: Assassins! 07/25/2010 08:07 AM CDT
> You have people who play characters that have to at least appear moral (because the character they RP requires it) who have mysteriously done 180s because now they're out assassinating people because: Hey, this is fun.

Keep in mind that the adventurers of Elanthian society have already accepted the triviality of death in a world where gods bring adventurers back from the dead. Is it therefore immoral to end the life of a consenting someone you know will be brought back for sport? I would argue that it's not a complete 180, but rather an acknowledgement of the triviality of death. But that's a philosophical debate that belongs in-character.

It's also not inherently OOC. Adventurers have been killing other adventurers for decades, both in crimes of passion and organized bloodbaths, and governments haven't batted as much as an eyelash about it. They collect their pound of flesh, and let the adventurers get on with it. Heck, there's a guild that focuses on theft and assassination which has become such an expected part of life in Elanthia that government officials don't as much as bat an eye.

There's no need for an event to make it in-character, as it is simply part of life in Elanthia now, much like banks that communicate among provinces, Premium benefits, and logging in or out.

I'm not seeing what the fuss is about.

>
You're not used to life as a fish, are you?
re: Assassins! 07/25/2010 08:32 AM CDT
>>Keep in mind that the adventurers of Elanthian society have already accepted the triviality of death in a world where gods bring adventurers back from the dead. Is it therefore immoral to end the life of a consenting someone you know will be brought back for sport? I would argue that it's not a complete 180, but rather an acknowledgement of the triviality of death. But that's a philosophical debate that belongs in-character.

Tourneys are OOC. If they weren't, Necromancers couldn't participate. Direct sparring via CHALLENGE is handled as IC and is logical in a society that has little to fear from death and so many adventurers. There is no philosophical debate. Even honorable and morally upright characters can challenge someone, and that's how they can express their outrage. Characters with upright morals or honor can simply shoot someone in the back when they're angry with them.

>>It's also not inherently OOC. Adventurers have been killing other adventurers for decades, both in crimes of passion and organized bloodbaths, and governments haven't batted as much as an eyelash about it. They collect their pound of flesh, and let the adventurers get on with it. Heck, there's a guild that focuses on theft and assassination which has become such an expected part of life in Elanthia that government officials don't as much as bat an eye.

Solomon literally just said it's not IC and they have no plans for making it IC. By process of elimination, that makes it, inherently, OOC. The recognized, acceptable method of achieving satisfaction is still CHALLENGE. Some Provinces have better relationships with mercenaries than others, but none have a particularly good relationship with assassins and those who sponsor them. If this was IC, everyone would be capping their SO and tanking their reputations (with their guilds, specifically, but more broadly too).

Most guilds have IC lore that places them in direct opposition to assassination. Only Barbarians and Thieves have IC lore that supports a mercenary tradition, although Traders probably should have lore supporting their hiring of mercenaries from time to time. An IC assassination system would probably be limited to these three guilds on the basis of lore.

Empaths, Bards, Warrior Mages, and Paladins would definitely not be able to participate, on any level, based on past events. Something fun and diversionary for everyone suddenly becomes a perk for a few guilds when it's brought over IC.

So, take it for what it is: an entertaining diversion from mindlessly smashing fluffy text creatures.
re: Assassins! 07/25/2010 08:44 AM CDT
> Solomon literally just said it's not IC and they have no plans for making it IC. By process of elimination, that makes it, inherently, OOC. The recognized, acceptable method of achieving satisfaction is still CHALLENGE. Some Provinces have better relationships with mercenaries than others, but none have a particularly good relationship with assassins and those who sponsor them. If this was IC, everyone would be capping their SO and tanking their reputations (with their guilds, specifically, but more broadly too).

There is a very large difference between not going out of their way to make it IC and stating that it's entirely OOC. Simply by virtue of it being in-game, it is, to some degree, IC, whether people like it or not. There is an anonymous benefactor in Elanthia hiring people to murder each other and pairing them up by skill level. No matter how hard someone wants to jam fingers in their ears and try to drown it out with their own voice, it exists, and people are gladly partaking in the murder.

You can complain about it, you can ignore it, and you can comment on it. Denying it is simply a waste of effort.

I see this as no different, or more immoral, than running Droughtman's Challenge.

>
You're not used to life as a fish, are you?
re: Assassins! 07/25/2010 09:11 AM CDT
>>There is a very large difference between not going out of their way to make it IC and stating that it's entirely OOC. Simply by virtue of it being in-game, it is, to some degree, IC, whether people like it or not. There is an anonymous benefactor in Elanthia hiring people to murder each other and pairing them up by skill level. No matter how hard someone wants to jam fingers in their ears and try to drown it out with their own voice, it exists, and people are gladly partaking in the murder.

That is terrible logic. Plenty of things that are OOC take place in game. Premium meetings are one of the big ones. Just because something is happening in the game does not mean it is IC.

>>You can complain about it, you can ignore it, and you can comment on it. Denying it is simply a waste of effort.

At this juncture, I think you're the one in denial.
re: Assassins! 07/25/2010 09:54 AM CDT
The GMs not attempting to roll out an event or significant GMNPC reactions for this does not make it completely OOC.

The messaging you get when you win or lose is very clearly not OOC, otherwise they'd not bother with 'benefactors' or in game money rewards or npcs that react in an in character fashion.

People who would like to roll with this in an IC fashion are not stupid or doing it wrong, like some of you seem to be implying. ICly, there are mysterious benefactors willing to pay out for deaths. We do not know why. The governments and guilds don't seem interested in it. We also do not know why.

Characters who would object to engaging in something like that should probably still object, imo. This is not a premium meeting-esque environment where people are chatting about mechanics and football. This is not openly OOC.
re: Assassins! 07/25/2010 10:01 AM CDT
It's as IC as you want to make it. The GMs didn't spoonfeed me a complete character backstory either, but that doesn't mean I'm going to walk around claiming Kevalia was born full-grown and armed with bola in the middle of the Jadewater Mansion.

Let people play it as a game. Let the rest of us incorporate it into our RP, and hopefully do a good job of it. EVERYBODY WINS.

---

~Kevalia~
re: Assassins! 07/25/2010 10:03 AM CDT
>>The messaging you get when you win or lose is very clearly not OOC, otherwise they'd not bother with 'benefactors' or in game money rewards or npcs that react in an in character fashion.

For the record... neither are the portals which take you to guild meetings, nor are the GM entrances to those meetings, neither are the "grins" "hugs" "smooches" or whatever other verbs between characters that exist within those meetings; however, the meeting itself is still classified as OOC and do not tie directly to the character. Just some food for thought.

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
re: Assassins! 07/25/2010 11:10 AM CDT
If you want to roll with it, roll with it.

There's no introducing IC event and we're not going to run other IC events around Assassins either, is the gist of what's being said.

However, there is a requirement you remain IC when you talk so if you want to make up some kind of vague rationalization for what your character sees I don't think people should be yelling at other people for it.

-Z
re: Assassins! 07/25/2010 11:16 AM CDT
You say, "Halt. Evildoer."

Evildoer says, "What?"

There, we RP'd the beginning of our engagement. Assassins is now IC.

* You were just struck down!

You say, "Carry on, evildoer, I am no match for you."

I will continue to get blunter on this topic until people get the message or my posts contain enough profanity to be removed. - Armifer
re: Assassins! 07/25/2010 11:25 AM CDT
I'd be happy if people would just stop describing it as a game on the gweth. And don't tell my character he agreed to it. He agreed to nothing and would prefer not to be hunted, if he had the choice. I agreed to it.
re: Assassins! 07/25/2010 11:28 AM CDT

Think I missed this somewhere in the discussion.

Is there no plan to have ASSASSIN STATUS show how may times you've been smushed.

-The Smushed Halfing
re: Assassins! 07/25/2010 11:47 AM CDT
>>I'd be happy if people would just stop describing it as a game on the gweth. And don't tell my character he agreed to it. He agreed to nothing and would prefer not to be hunted, if he had the choice. I agreed to it.

This makes the most sense to me.

Vashir: one day I will devise a weapon fueled by the tears of warrior mages
Vashir: it'll be unstoppable

http://docs.google.com/View?id=dcszxzpn_22g3mtzcv

http://elanthipedia.com/wiki/Out_of_Character
re: Assassins! 07/25/2010 02:24 PM CDT
To add a thought. There is nothing that prohibits you from making the event IC RP. You do not need a GM to allow you to be IC.

Madigan doesn't participate in this very cool thing because it is simply out of character for him. No big deal, I pull out one of my other characters and play them in the game.

Madigan
re: Assassins! 07/25/2010 09:40 PM CDT
>>People who would like to roll with this in an IC fashion are not stupid or doing it wrong, like some of you seem to be implying.

I apologize if people believe I am making them out to be stupid, that's not my intent. Do I believe it's somewhat inappropriate to take the game in an IC fashion? Yes, I've made that obvious. But of course, people can do what they want, my opinion is just my own. I respect each of you I'm responding to(Yourself and Vinjince very highly, in fact.)

>>Characters who would object to engaging in something like that should probably still object, imo. This is not a premium meeting-esque environment where people are chatting about mechanics and football. This is not openly OOC.

In general, I agree. However, how can one be faulted for participating in a game that the Staff has said they don't plan to introduce into the IC environment or base events around? How does it get much more OOC than that?

>>The GMs didn't spoonfeed me a complete character backstory either, but that doesn't mean I'm going to walk around claiming Kevalia was born full-grown and armed with bola in the middle of the Jadewater Mansion.

Comical, but apples and oranges really.

>>To add a thought. There is nothing that prohibits you from making the event IC RP. You do not need a GM to allow you to be IC.

You're right, you don't need a GM around to act in-character, but that doesn't really change any of the points being made about the entire OOC-ness of the game.

>>Madigan doesn't participate in this very cool thing because it is simply out of character for him. No big deal, I pull out one of my other characters and play them in the game.

Given this, I am curious as to if you have some concepts already worked out for yourself should Madigan come across people participating in Assassins in Therengia? In addition to that, do you have some ideas on how he'll react to people within the Therengian Government who are participating in the game?
re: Assassins! 07/25/2010 10:47 PM CDT
>how can one be faulted for participating in a game that the Staff has said they don't plan to introduce into the IC environment or base events around? How does it get much more OOC than that?

I personally just don't find it to be a requirement that something like this have an event tied to it. People who hire assassins do so in secret. That is precisely the reason I would not expect an event to be based around it. If there were public events then the guards WOULD try to put an end to it.

There is IC messaging when a kill is made.
A voice whispers in your ear, "The officials in City of Riverhaven have charged you with murder. We've kept things quiet, but thought you'd like to know."

An indescribable voice dripping with contempt whispers in your mind, "You're safe now, <Target>. <Assassin> had been sent to kill you, but he has clearly failed. Rest easy... For now."

As it has already been stated, people have been killing others for fun for a long time. The only IC thing I feel is lacking as far as the game goes is there is no IC messaging that you are being targeted even though you can check to see you are a target. I know a GM said they wanted to leave it that way for reasons of paranoia, but that is the only thing I personally find OOC.

Having a passerby say they overheard someone talking about your impending demise would fix that.

re: Assassins! 07/25/2010 10:53 PM CDT
>>I personally just don't find it to be a requirement that something like this have an event tied to it. People who hire assassins do so in secret. That is precisely the reason I would not expect an event to be based around it. If there were public events then the guards WOULD try to put an end to it.

The question you responded to wasn't about needing to make it IC. It was in response to a statement claiming that people who play characters that wouldn't assassinate people shouldn't play the Assassins Game. My question is how can we blame them for playing when it's not entirely IC to begin with.
re: Assassins! 07/25/2010 11:05 PM CDT
<<Given this, I am curious as to if you have some concepts already worked out for yourself should Madigan come across people participating in Assassins in Therengia? In addition to that, do you have some ideas on how he'll react to people within the Therengian Government who are participating in the game?

Sure, which goes to my point that it is up to each of us (to the extent you care to do so) to weave it into the RP as we see fit (within policy of course).

I intend to treat it like any other death my character sees. If the Code requires him to act, he will. If not, he will not. With regard to the Theren Court, my character will follow the direction of the Baron.

By the by, not saying participation is a bad thing for paladins at all. I encourage everyone to participate if it fits in your RP (paladin or otherwise). It really looks like a fun gig.

Madigan
re: Assassins! 07/25/2010 11:18 PM CDT
>>Sure, which goes to my point that it is up to each of us (to the extent you care to do so) to weave it into the RP as we see fit (within policy of course).

Gotcha. I'm curious to see how that goes, considering some of the sentiment here(Staff and otherwise).

Thanks for the response, it's appreciated.
re: Assassins! 07/26/2010 12:52 AM CDT
Madigan,

Not sure why you don't participate. You can probably join and just never take a target. I'm sure some people out there would love to take a crack at you.
re: Assassins! 07/26/2010 12:55 AM CDT
You could call that a survival training. Being a target ONLY could suit many people's RP.

re: Assassins! 07/26/2010 01:23 AM CDT
Not to expand on an already awesome idea, but I'd love to see if people could "choose sides" in the Assassin game.

ASSASSIN BOUNTY: Register yourself as a [good guy] bounty hunter
ASSASSIN CRIMINAL: Register yourself as a [bad guy] assassin
ASSASSIN FREE: Register yourself as a free agent who will kill for the highest bidder (default setting)

Bounty Hunters can get Criminal or Free Agent targets.
Criminals can get Bounty Hunter or Free Agent targets.
Free Agents can get Bounty Hunter. Criminal, or Free Agent targets.

I would expect most people would stick with the Free Agent setting, but this way players can have some IC way to justify who they're killing and why, and people who play "good guys" (Dark Paladin, or whatever) don't necessarily have to suddenly go against their base-RP in order to have fun.
re: Assassins! 07/26/2010 08:39 AM CDT
<<Not sure why you don't participate. You can probably join and just never take a target. I'm sure some people out there would love to take a crack at you.

Actually, that idea is full of awesome. I didn't know you could sign up to be a target, yet not take on a target.

Madigan