Re: Flex Creatures & You 10/26/2019 02:36 PM CDT
<<If you have exceptionally high combat-magic (TM or Debil) or stealth (Stealth or Backstab) relative to your weapons, that also affects the flex score.>>

Any chance you'd consider removing Debilitation? Sometimes I think that so much effort went into making it train like a combat skill that people forget it doesn't function like one. The skill is never contested against your opponent, so having more ranks doesn't actually do anything for your overall effectiveness. Having it factor into flex level doesn't seem to be within the spirit of the exercise.

Thanks,
-Biomancer Karthor
Re: Flex Creatures & You 10/26/2019 02:56 PM CDT
>>Any chance you'd consider removing Debilitation?

Can't promise, but since we're taking a serious look at the mechs anyway at the moment I'll float the idea and see what happens.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Flex Creatures & You 10/26/2019 03:46 PM CDT
My experience:

Went down to Leth with my 29th Bard who has between 70-90 combats. Buffed with the spells I have that buff me, Redeemer's Pride and Resonance on my weapon.

Attempt 1: Entered a room, was immediately hit from a non-engaged spider with critical poison, then webbed. Spent the next couple of frantic moments trying to get out of the room. Web wore off, try to retreat from the 4 spiders now engaged with me, webbed again. Web wears off, managed to retreat and run back to Leth's empath where a pc empath took the poison.

Attempt 2: Entered a room, one spider already there. I begin to engage, start the fight. I can it it. It can sometimes hit me. Could be a good fight, pretty sure I'll win eventually, but it's looking fun. Whoops, spider 2 comes in. That's cool, set to block it. 2v1 now, it's tough but thinking I'll be fine. I'm still making progress on the first spider. Heyo, what's this, spider 3 and 4 just came rolling in. Now I'm getting the snot kicked out of me. But I strike a death blow against 1. Get the skin, do my search. I'm getting smacked around. 2 more spiders just decided to join the fun. Half health, definitely time to go. That was fun, sort of(?).

Attempt 3: Healed up again. Entered a room, was immediately hit from a non-engaged spider with critical poison. Ran for the empath. PC empath still there but overwhelmed likely with her own healing. Poison working it's way through my neck. When it gets too bad I lay down and let the npc empath heal my vit. 17 minutes later the poison is still at 'seriously strong'.

I'll be honest, I'm having a hard time thinking that this is the type of experience you intended for this event. I'm guessing it was mostly supposed to be like attempt 2, problem is the spawn is just too much to handle like that. If I couldn't be engaged by more than 2 it would have been a pretty solid battle.

But, attempts 1 and 3? Please tell me that it was not your intent to nail someone with critical poison before they've even had a chance to read the room description.
Re: Flex Creatures & You 10/26/2019 04:14 PM CDT

While we're at it, can you put in some smart grab mechanics. If someone is at an NPC empath, lying down, being healed while suffering critical poison that the empath can't or won't take then grabbing them into a burrow to be immediately attacks is basically an unavoidable death.
Re: Flex Creatures & You 10/26/2019 09:17 PM CDT
>>DR-ARMIFER>>Flex critters can be adjusted to degrees of flex, to be harder or easier. This event has creatures that are designed to be challenging and not sustainably hunted without the assistance of others (be it group hunting or Empathic healing over time).<<

No problem with the idea that you can't sit and hunt for hours. It does appear to pose a challenge however when I'm hard pressed to damage the critters, instantly poisoned when dragged into the burrows, and despite starting fully healed 3 hits later I'm dead. I died so fast I figured I forgot to have my armor/gear equipped, but that was not the case (this time). Seems like a better balance might be after completing a couple of tasks, that you would then need to seek healing, etc..

It may just be the flex mechanics and my current skill levels, and specifically the disparity between my weapons, defenses and relevant survivals make it not possible to participate in this event against a flex mob. I've seen others hypothesize that a disparity between the various combat related skills may lead to interesting or challenging flex experiences. My understanding was that last year's HE event also used the Flex mechanics. My experiences then were vastly different than this year, where last year the mechanics made me want to participate in the event.

Please consider keeping us posted if you end up making changes.

Thanks!
Re: Flex Creatures & You 10/26/2019 11:07 PM CDT
For me, it's the snatching mechanics. We live in dangerous times...

Snatch #1:
You swim south, moving sideways to the swift current.
[Segoltha River, Midstream]
Twisting currents of silt-laden water surge just below the river's surface. A churning, heaving mass of dirty brown waves, the torrent of water stretches as far as the eye can see.
Obvious paths: north, northeast, east, southeast, south, southwest, west, northwest.
R>
Roundtime: 5 sec.
You swim south, moving sideways to the rapids.
[Segoltha River, Midstream]
Twisting currents of silt-laden water surge just below the river's surface. A churning, heaving mass of dirty brown waves, the torrent of water stretches as far as the eye can see.
Obvious paths: north, northeast, east, southeast, south, southwest, west, northwest.
R>
You feel fully rested.
You feel fully attuned to the mana streams again.
R>
R>
With lightning speed, something large and arachnid bursts from below, dragging you into a web-filled, subterranean gloom!
[The Tomiek Burrows, Tunnel]
Phosphorescent fungus clinging to the walls casts a sickly green glow about this large oval-shaped tunnel, barely illuminating large lumps of silk that mar the otherwise smooth walls. The occasional twitch reveals the last throes of life escaping some doomed, adventurer-sized prey encapsulated within the tightened fiber. The smooth walls of the tunnel glisten with strands of errant silk and small pockmarks that appear at regular intervals, marking trails of creatures crawling over the face of the rock. The air here is thick with a foul smell and stagnant from years of entombment. The green fungus lights a crossroads, three paths splitting in different directions.
You also see a tomiek-iguji broodling, a recently dug hole in the wall and a tomiek-iguji broodling.
Obvious exits: north, southeast, down.

Snatch #2:
Was interacting with the agitated businessman, turning in chitin slivers from a previous task. Was able to pop right back out through the hole. No harm, no foul.

Snatch #3:
Moved into a quiet room and went AFK (and idle) to deal with something. Returned to my computer a minute later and was dead. Lesson learned.

- I
Re: Flex Creatures & You 10/27/2019 12:01 AM CDT
https://pastebin.com/raw/fk1iDGAx

So this is what I see every time I try and fight one of these things. I am unable to ever land a hit, regardless of if its stuck with my Roar Wail and Everild's. I need to use Serenity, Swan, Turtle, Toad and Bear in order to not get slaughtered by the magic nukes (without Serenity, its about a 35%+ Health hit each cast). I have used the damage analyze and the accuracy one as well to try and help out as well as a throwing hammer, throwing club, Senci maul, bar mace with max balance and nothing but whiffs for 15+ attacks each.

I have tried 5 separate times today and each time has gone horribly. I have landed 1 hit and that was because it was someone else's mob who was waaaay below my skill ranks.
Re: Flex Creatures & You 10/27/2019 08:35 AM CDT
If you want this to be a group effort to take down a broodling, then some adjusting is needed. We had a group yesterday that was able to take down 1 at a time, with the broodling being debilitated and a handful of people attack it. The issue that comes up is with the larger group, more spawn. When more spawn, the spamming of their magic and poison attack decimates the group. It would be helpful if you could dial the spawn back to max of 2 in a room.
Re: Flex Creatures & You 10/27/2019 09:35 AM CDT
A doubled post was hidden.

Helje
DragonRealms Senior Board Moderator
Re: Flex Creatures & You 10/27/2019 11:11 AM CDT
>>Their TM, though, seems stronger than ever. I was having a good fight with one broodling, then a second engaged me and they did this (from ~85% vitality, good balance and position):

I'll double check to make sure the TM update went through.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Flex Creatures & You 10/27/2019 11:16 AM CDT
Alright, here's the skinny on their spells.

For the vast stretch of their flex range the potency of the broodlings spells were reduced, but it still caps out for high-end characters. It's not stronger than it was before, but it could be the same if your character is particularly powerful.

-Armifer
Re: Flex Creatures & You 10/27/2019 12:02 PM CDT
Alright, interesting to know. This character doesn't have a skill over 750, but I would imagine the flex range extends beyond that?
Re: Flex Creatures & You 10/27/2019 06:46 PM CDT

what ever ya did did not lower there tm at all it uped it tremendesly i was fighting them fine yesterday now im get ing hammered cant even kill one cuz there GZ is doing 20% health dmg to me and throwing me way off balance