Auction 07/01/2018 09:46 PM CDT
In the past, TF has also received the auctions, though they usually take place as raffles so the HLCs don't crowd out the less rich.

Could that happen here, too, please?
Re: Auction 07/01/2018 09:54 PM CDT
Please! Another vote for a quick TF raffle!
Re: Auction 07/02/2018 05:25 AM CDT
<<Please! Another vote for a quick TF raffle!>>

Yes, TF will see the items as well.

GM Lawlite
Re: Auction 07/02/2018 08:23 AM CDT
Sweet!
Re: Auction 07/02/2018 09:15 AM CDT
>> Yes, TF will see the items as well.

Thank you!
Re: Auction 07/22/2018 11:59 AM CDT
Can we get some idea of what the items will be, since it's only a week away?

__
Amybecka
Re: Auction 07/22/2018 02:29 PM CDT
Pending.. pending..

You should see a list soonish!

Iocanthe
Doing stuff
Re: Auction 07/22/2018 03:49 PM CDT
And then you can buy it back off the drsales sub!

Before you get mad, I'm pointing out a reality and asking that these items bond to the purchase character, because it sucks to see them simply bought and posted up seconds later for 500$ or whatever.

I'll never afford an auction item. I'm actually OK with that, because people should be able to buy fun things with plat. What I am not OK with is the after-market sales. People can buy things for real money at the micro events now.
Re: Auction 07/26/2018 03:02 AM CDT
Is there any way you can make that starblade 30 stones? It would be a great thief weapon, but I mean... at 35 stones it's actually useless for blindside which is super sad. It's kind of a bummer there's nothing there weapon wise for us. The weapons are super cool, but that 35 stone thing is a killer. I'd be willing to throw stupid plats at it if we could use it.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Auction 07/26/2018 06:23 PM CDT
a telothian panther charm
~100 rank boost to Stealth, 1 hour duration, 24 hour cooldown, unlimited charges, NMU friendly.

Does the charm skill boost stack with guild abilities like Thief Khri?
Re: Auction 07/27/2018 10:29 AM CDT
<<Does the charm skill boost stack with guild abilities like Thief Khri?>>

If you have multiple sources boosting the same skill, the system will identify the highest boosting source and use that. This is not unique to this charm.

So this charm would probably be most useful to a character who does not already have easy access to a +Stealth ability in their Guild ability set. A runner-up might be if you could use +Stealth in a pinch but have limited access (or want to conserve) mana/concentration/inner fire.

Hope this helps!

GM Lawlite
Re: Auction 07/27/2018 12:26 PM CDT
>>So this charm would probably be most useful to a character who does not already have easy access to a +Stealth ability in their Guild ability set. A runner-up might be if you could use +Stealth in a pinch but have limited access (or want to conserve) mana/concentration/inner fire.

Alternatively, if their %-based booster gives a boost under 100 ranks, right? It looks like this might be a great item for anyone without a %-booster who also has under 500 ranks of stealth.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Auction 07/27/2018 01:22 PM CDT
Does that mixed armor setup have any less hindrance or anything if worn as a set? Or standard mixing penalty applies?

You slap Voldag hard in the face with your hand, making a nice crisp smack!! That's going to leave a mark!
Re: Auction 07/27/2018 01:56 PM CDT
<<Alternatively, if their %-based booster gives a boost under 100 ranks, right? It looks like this might be a great item for anyone without a %-booster who also has under 500 ranks of stealth.>>

No, the boost provided by this charm respects soft caps according to base skill. I will modify the original auction preview post to be bit more specific and indicate what you have here is a 20% bonus to base Stealth skill up to a maximum of 100 rank bonus.

GM Lawlite
Re: Auction 07/27/2018 02:01 PM CDT
<<Does that mixed armor setup have any less hindrance or anything if worn as a set? Or standard mixing penalty applies?>>

The standard mixing penalty applies and there is no other sort of unique set bonus.

GM Lawlite
Re: Auction 07/27/2018 02:34 PM CDT
>>No, the boost provided by this charm respects soft caps according to base skill. I will modify the original auction preview post to be bit more specific and indicate what you have here is a 20% bonus to base Stealth skill up to a maximum of 100 rank bonus.

Darn. Hoping it can get adjusted then, because I think that means it gives a 20% bonus until 500 ranks, then starts giving a worse and worse bonus as your character develops. It just seems odd to have an item that gets worse as time goes on, especially since that's kinda the direct opposite way standard boosters work.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Auction 07/27/2018 03:34 PM CDT
<<Darn. Hoping it can get adjusted then, because I think that means it gives a 20% bonus until 500 ranks, then starts giving a worse and worse bonus as your character develops. It just seems odd to have an item that gets worse as time goes on, especially since that's kinda the direct opposite way standard boosters work.>>

I mean, I guess that just depends how you look at it. It caps out at a 100 rank boost so, yes, as your base ranks continue to grow the % that 100 ranks represents compared to your base decreases, but the raw number of +ranks you're getting does not decrease. You reach max boost (100 ranks) at 500 Stealth and will continue to get the max from then on - that never gets worse.

It is always possible that item scripts are adjusted or changed in the future but for the time being this is how this item works.

If it ends up being a small or middling level item in terms of desire and bids that's okay. It's good to have a spread!

GM Lawlite
Re: Auction 07/27/2018 04:06 PM CDT
So about that starblade?

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Auction 07/27/2018 04:46 PM CDT
<<Is there any way you can make that starblade 30 stones?>>

I'm glad you like the item and wish that it was something that could work for blindsiding people to death from the shadows, but perhaps the patron deity of honorable Thieves didn't want it to work that way? ;)

Seriously though, the purpose of the preview post is to try give you all information about items as they are, not to make changes unless something is broken.

We will undoubtedly have other blindside-friendly weapons in the future!

GM Lawlite
Re: Auction 07/27/2018 05:29 PM CDT
>We will undoubtedly have other blindside-friendly weapons in the future!

You'd be shocked how often we hear that.
Re: Auction 07/27/2018 05:41 PM CDT
> I mean, I guess that just depends how you look at it. It caps out at a 100 rank boost so, yes, as your base ranks continue to grow the % that 100 ranks represents compared to your base decreases, but the raw number of +ranks you're getting does not decrease. You reach max boost (100 ranks) at 500 Stealth and will continue to get the max from then on - that never gets worse.

From what I've picked up from various GM comments, the combat system primarily runs on ratios, not differences. So the % increase is what matters, not the absolute increase. That was one of the reasons for removing the 100 rank cap in 3.1.
Re: Auction 07/27/2018 06:02 PM CDT
<<From what I've picked up from various GM comments, the combat system primarily runs on ratios, not differences. So the % increase is what matters, not the absolute increase. That was one of the reasons for removing the 100 rank cap in 3.1.>>

I just wanted to make sure folks reading understood the max rank increase stayed the same. I realize the effect may get diluted due to the 100 rank cap currently inherent in the item script. Perhaps that will change some day, but perhaps not. My primary intention is to make sure you all have information about the items as they are :) But of course I'll pass along the feedback to item creators, script owners, etc. -- and I'm listening to it too!

And in one last effort to defend the Poor Defenseless Charm: I also noticed that, unlike other self-activating spellcasting devices, this little trinket can bestow its effect on you in a room where magic is blocked and cannot be stripped via dispel magic. Another niche use but could be handy when you need it.

C'mon...LOVE THE CHARM! :P

GM Lawlite
Re: Auction 07/27/2018 10:42 PM CDT
My character is a devout follower of Phelim. I’m quite aware that your definition of honorable and mine are going to be two different things.

So why sell the item for far less than you would of because of this restriction?

I mean, snark aside... the point of the auction is a plat sink. So why not create an item that people want so it sells for more? I really don’t understand. So unless it sells for a deal I’ll just keep hoarding plats I guess.

Monster Elec

Re: Auction 07/27/2018 11:34 PM CDT
I'm going to reiterate that the point of my original post here was to provide players with information, so that someone who feels as passionately as you do about something like the starblade is not caught unaware that it weighs 35 stones and can't be used to blindside your enemies.

<<I mean, snark aside... the point of the auction is a plat sink.>>

That's not my view. Maybe they were a meaningful plat sink once upon a time. These days, however, I look at them more as an event. An event that comes around a few times a year where GMs put a little extra attention on some items and try to make them special for someone.

If that someone isn't you then it can be someone else. That's okay with me, if not you.

GM Lawlite
Re: Auction 07/28/2018 02:10 AM CDT
Fair enough! Please don’t mistake it as anything more than someone who plays a Phelim follower excited to finally see a Phelim item (and a cool one at that), and wanting to get the most out of it for their char.

Monster Elec

Re: Auction 07/28/2018 05:03 PM CDT

Lawlite, do you recall offhand what the measurements are on the spear?
Re: Auction 07/28/2018 07:21 PM CDT
<<...what the measurements are on the spear?>>

>measure my spear with my yards
You compare your phalanx spear with the iron yardstick several times and are certain the length measures seventeen spans, the width measures one span and the height measures one span.
Roundtime: 5 sec.

GM Lawlite
Re: Auction 07/31/2018 07:55 AM CDT
>> >> Please! Another vote for a quick TF raffle!

>> Yes, TF will see the items as well.

Any update on when this will happen?

Thanks!
Re: Auction 07/31/2018 06:40 PM CDT
<<Any update on when this will happen?>>

I was chattering to you guys this afternoon. I'll post over on your boards as well :)

GM Lawlite
Re: Auction 08/01/2018 11:45 AM CDT
Thanks for all of the information, Lawlite.