Familiar Alterations 06/10/2017 01:38 PM CDT
Well this whole "familiar alteration" day sure makes me miss the old days... when GMs weren't so stuffy about doing alterations. I mean... I actually had quite a few alterations back in the day and there wasn't a whole "to-do" about getting one done. However, today I asked a question about how the recipients were chosen and for an answer I got a "blink" and then ignored with the response, "Any other questions?" Then he insulted my intelligence because I was shocked a "warrior mage" GM would kill familiars in the room that weren't part of the alteration group.

Even sadder to see was the room full of "yes-men" (and women) who take that sort've arrogance like it's to be expected, even encouraged. To see what people are willing to sell their soul for is truly troubling these days.

Rellecke, you're not all that great. I may be small, and not part of the elites... but at least I see you for what you are buddy. I'd gladly trade a custom familiar any day, to see the truth of people.
-Bran
Re: Familiar Alterations 06/10/2017 02:02 PM CDT

<I'd gladly trade a custom familiar any day, to see the truth of people.

Good for you ilovemywife for speaking out and I'm sorry you were treated rudely.

There is always a certain level of animosity around these alterations and especially around those who are considered unsavory just for asking questions or being too small to even be there.

For what it is worth those who treated you rudely do not speak for the entire of the game or the Guild!
Re: Familiar Alterations 06/10/2017 02:07 PM CDT
Rellecke is a character that is roleplayed. Kindly remember that there is a difference between the character acting like a jerk and the GM (or other player) behind a character being a jerk.

Some merchant characters are not very nice, just like any other kind of character. That is not a slam on you (or anyone) as a player. It's just the personality of that character. They're being IC, and it's a roleplaying opportunity for your character to respond how your character would be ICly to being treated that way.

Also, please remember that if you feel that a GM (not the character played by the GM) acted inappropriately in some fashion, the way to address that is to contact the Feedback department at drfeedback@simutronics.com, not flaming the GM on the forums. Generally, a post like this would be removed, since the direct attack on a GM is against forums policy, but I'm going to leave this one here for now, so that the OP and others have the context for my reply. Other posts in this thread are expected to follow forums rules. Please let this be able to be a respectful conversation and not one I have to remove from the forums and issue warnings over.

-Persida
Re: Familiar Alterations 06/10/2017 02:29 PM CDT
>>who are considered unsavory just for asking questions or being too small to even be there

There is no 'too small to be there' for a GM-run event. Let's not start that nonsense, please. There is no GM conspiracy to ignore or treat badly PCs that are lower in circle.

The only time your character's circle makes any difference in a GM-run event is if some portion is circle-restricted outright, and that will always be something explicitly stated.

-Persida
Re: Familiar Alterations 06/10/2017 03:19 PM CDT
I've had the opportunity to work with him on a few occasions (I play in Plat) so I am well aware of his...demeanor.

Rellecke is and always has been a moody, sarcastic and somewhat rude GMPC. I can see where he could put someone off pretty easily. Just reading over his list of rules ( https://elanthipedia.play.net/Rellecke ) you can get a pretty good idea of his personality though. A little research with any and all NPCs is always a good thing to do before hand.

You slap Voldag hard in the face with your hand, making a nice crisp smack!! That's going to leave a mark!
Re: Familiar Alterations 06/10/2017 04:23 PM CDT
I will say that your comment is pretty disingenuous.

You asked how they were chosen. I actually think this is a fine question ask. Though, he didn't blink and then ignore you like you stated. He glanced at you and pointed to the list. That's his honest demeanor, surprised you couldn't pick that up from the rest of what he said and his personality from before that moment.

You didn't "act" shocked due to the GM killing familiars.

You asked:

Brandaen asks Rellecke, "Woah... you're a warrior mage?"

Perhaps be more thorough, because this didn't seem shocked that a WM would kill another's Familiar, but rather that you simply didn't even bother to "look" at him. Get my drift?

He responded pretty well in character, I think. I actually peered at you first, because I too didn't believe it. I had just started typing "How'd you get into the guild?" or something similarly snotty because I am a haughty gentleman.

RP better IMO.

Also, we aren't "yes-men"... you just didn't seem too bright by the statement is all.

Not attacking you here with any of this. Just clarifying and trying to help you understand.

As a side note, his RP demeanor was awesome and really made me worry. I reread his guidelines probably 5 times, even though I knew for a fact I wasn't breaking them. THAT is what it's all about. He affected me in game and honestly out. I had to tell my kids and wife to not bother me so I wouldn't mess up and lose out on the chance.
Re: Familiar Alterations 06/10/2017 04:41 PM CDT
What did people get done anyway? Plat-side I got...

A massive grizzly bear with viciously curving claws and a greyed maw

The giant bear would loom over the average Gor'Tog when standing on it's hind legs. It's eyes constantly search the surroundings for food or prey. A patch of fur on it's shoulder appears singed, an occupational hazard for the fire mage's familiar.

You slap Voldag hard in the face with your hand, making a nice crisp smack!! That's going to leave a mark!
Re: Familiar Alterations 06/10/2017 04:52 PM CDT

<There is no 'too small to be there' for a GM-run event. Let's not start that nonsense, please. There is no GM conspiracy to ignore or treat badly PCs that are lower in circle.

I was replying in reference to the comment made by the original poster.

<I may be small, and not part of the elites...

I didn't realize Relleck was played by a GM but the player in question did apparently leave an event feeling as he stated, excluded and ignored.

I was not trying to insult anyone.

I was trying to make sure ilovemywife knew that their words were indeed read and I cared; I don't care about their circle and would be polite to them showing proper respect for the courage it takes for the post and opinion they shared.

Re: Familiar Alterations 06/10/2017 05:44 PM CDT
Ignoring whether OP intended this to be IC, OOC, or whatever is actually going on here..

>>Brandaen asks Rellecke, "Woah... you're a warrior mage?"
>>Perhaps be more thorough, because this didn't seem shocked that a WM would kill another's Familiar, but rather that you simply didn't even bother to "look" at him. Get my drift?

I actually took this to be shock, and thought it was pretty obvious.

>>Also, we aren't "yes-men"... you just didn't seem too bright by the statement is all.

Yeah.. actually, I kind of found it to be a form of pandering, too. Everyone just went along blithely with what was going on, but I wasn't surprised. Would any reasonable player have their PC oppose Rellecke, knowing he is the only way to get a familiar altered?

Probably not.
Re: Familiar Alterations **NUDGE AND POST HIDDEN** 06/10/2017 05:49 PM CDT
Guys, like I said in my first post on this topic, directly demeaning GMs is not allowed on the forums. If you feel there might be wrongdoing on the part of a GM, the way to handle that is to email Feedback at drfeedback@simutronics.com.

Likewise, this is not a conflicts folder, so regardless of your opinion on any portion of the subject, make extra sure to frame it politely towards the players / posters involved.

Discuss the nuances or difficulties of RPing with a surly merchant. Discuss WM familiars and cultural responses to how they might be treated. Discuss how the character of Rellecke is kind of a stuck up jerkface. Discuss how you like or don't like the fact that familiar alterations are very rare, or what the rules for them are. All of these are fine parts of the thread to continue.

If you want to conflict with other posters, take it to OOC Conflicts over in the Social Side. If you think a GM was a jerk, take it to Feedback.

I went out on a limb and left this thread open earlier, with the hopes that the subsequent posts would be constructive and follow forums rules once I explained things in my first post here. I can't continue to give leeway when forums policy is being broken. Any further hostility directed at players or staff in this thread will have this entire thread removed, and warnings given as needed.

-Persida
Re: Familiar Alterations 06/10/2017 06:49 PM CDT
>>Would any reasonable player have their PC oppose Rellecke, knowing he is the only way to get a familiar altered?

He's actually not! Other alterers work on familiars, too, like Dailzala. He's probably the most well-known, though.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Dailzala

But lots of players may choose to RP a character who tells off a grouchy merchant, even if that means losing out on an alteration. I've certainly seen it happen before, and it's usually a really fun RP experience for everyone around.

-Persida
Re: Familiar Alterations 06/10/2017 07:40 PM CDT
Well, the shock was obvious that he realized just then that he was a WM, but it wasn't obvious that it was in correlation with the fact that he threatened to kill the familiars. That is, to me at least. We all take things different, in person or in text.

Not really sure what you mean by pandering for the responses. I didn't take it as a direct reaction to his killing of Familiars, I took it as he had just now looked at him. I've also seen people push against alteration merchants, it's a matter of perspective. Rell is just who he is, sometimes in life people have personalities we don't always agree with, but we have to just ignore it and deal with it internally.

I've learned to do this better as I've grown older, and I do it constantly in my current work situation.

Transcendent Warrior Mage of Ilithi
Re: Familiar Alterations 06/10/2017 08:07 PM CDT
>Rellecke, you're not all that great. I may be small, and not part of the elites... but at least I see you for what you are buddy. I'd gladly trade a custom familiar any day, to see the truth of people.

Even though my friend who is a War Mage, did not get picked, I throughly enjoyed the whole little event. I thought Rellecke's demeanor was hysterical and loved his "no-nonsense" approach. I also liked that he made his rules completely clear and didn't hem and haw about possibly doing more than 5 alterations. I was pasting his comments to my friends via AIM and we all got a good chuckle from them.

Not exactly sure what you mean by elite....but the choosing is completely random.

I say....well done Rellecke!

~Gab
Re: Familiar Alterations 06/10/2017 09:05 PM CDT
>>But lots of players may choose to RP a character who tells off a grouchy merchant, even if that means losing out on an alteration.

I've never heard of Dailzala, so I'll keep that in mind. But I do think its far different to tell off one grouch who is doing a basic alteration, than to tell off another who is doing an alteration type you may not see again for a year or longer. I think players are far less likely to have their PCs tell the grouch off if they think they'll never have the opportunity again.

Just a thought. I'm not overly concerned regardless, but I saw where Brandaen was coming from IG. (Not entirely sure of what's going on with the original post.)
Re: Familiar Alterations 06/10/2017 09:08 PM CDT
Releasing a familiar back into the Aether isn't 'killing' it. Sounds like Rellecke is a teddy bear compared to Keishalae anyway.
Re: Familiar Alterations 06/10/2017 09:57 PM CDT
If Rellecke is abrasive in your eyes, might I suggest you highly avoid Keishalae and Almodivar.

Though it's really nothing new. Even back in the day, there was Snidley and he could be just as crabby. Not every merchant would or should be the same money grubbing "the customer is always right" type. That's fine. They will get their work in regardless if it's from you or someone else, and that's a perfectly valid attitude to have. You have to remember that they aren't just some clerk, they are a master artisan whose work is often coveted in everyday Elanthian society. Typically only royalty gets to work with some of these people, royalty and we assorted dregs.
Re: Familiar Alterations 06/11/2017 12:34 AM CDT

<but I saw where Brandaen was coming from IG. (Not entirely sure of what's going on with the original post.)

Right there with you buddy!
Re: Familiar Alterations 06/11/2017 08:29 AM CDT
I find the odd/mean/snarky merchant funny. In real life you have them. That waiter at your favorite restaurant that you REFUSE to be served by because he is the owners cousins brother and cannot be fired so he treats every customer with a mild disdain over their choice of dining out. Seinfeld had the "soup nazi". DR has it's own versions. I don't feel like just because it's a GM run character they have to be all polite and what can I do for you ... especially considering that a lot of us treat them like garbage through the whole process of alterations. All our whining and bawling about who gets what. For extra materials I recall someone bringing like 100 pieces of silversteel or some such thing as "fodder" and expected that they all be used to make some lavish cat house then spent an hour arguing WHY that had to be acceptable. It's refreshing to have different personalities thrown at us. We can RP roll with it or find the exit flap to that particular merchant.

Not everyone is going to cover you with glitter. Except ... one of them will.

~~If you can't live without me why aren't you dead yet?~~
Re: Familiar Alterations 06/11/2017 09:44 AM CDT

<don't feel like just because it's a GM run character they have to be all polite and what can I do for you ... especially considering that a lot of us treat them like garbage through the whole process of alterations. All our whining and bawling about who gets what.

If a returning customer which is the main source of new players for Dragonrealms posted as they did with critique for the event, walking away feeling excluded and abused as a customer.

I'm sorry I don't think that is something Simutronics wants for a paying customer after an interaction with an employee, and I highly doubt that was the employees intent. Many times as players we are told to OOC whisper people to avoid hurt feelings, I wonder if the GM in question couldnt have done the same.

The criticism from original posters view highlights a lot of questions, which could lead to better understanding for both the GM who played the GMNPC and the community to evolve with. The compare and contrast from days gone by to now alone is refreshing, a perspective of a mind vacuum sealed.

That said I agree with your point.

All through HE festival last year I rambled around in search of the "real people" GMNPCs.

Sadly there were no soup Nazi types as you put it to be found. In my lengthy polite review of it I said as much.
Re: Familiar Alterations 06/13/2017 03:36 PM CDT
>I'm sorry I don't think that is something Simutronics wants for a paying customer after an interaction with an employee, and I highly doubt that was the employees intent. Many times as players we are told to OOC whisper people to avoid hurt feelings, I wonder if the GM in question couldnt have done the same.

Simutronics doesn't employ any of these people.

"Warrior Mages don't bother covering up their disasters.
They're proud of them." -Raesh, on history
Re: Familiar Alterations 06/13/2017 10:50 PM CDT
Amish keeps referring to players as customers. Well, like in any game, you're not guaranteed things just for being a "customer."

I can subscribe to WoW -- but I have to level myself, find raids, etc. I can only succeed based off how much I put in. My point? GM's don't / are not required to coddle you nor should they be expected to. I play b/c I want to play with no expectation on the end of what I'll be given in return.

Being a subscriber does not guarantee you'll get an alteration.
-alterations are rare. Less rare now, even, than they were in ye olden days.
-the GM/alterer is not your workhorse. Behave appropriately & RP -- appropriately.

One's behavior does, like in life, affect how others will respond to them. If you rub an alterer the wrong way, you're likely out. Deal with it. The title is game master, not baby sitter.

This one's to Amish (sorry to call you out, but seriously)
We can't assume to know what "simutronics" wants so don't assume their business model and apply it to your agenda for ulterior motives? I see what you're doing here O.O. Just..stop.

I for one don't want to play -- DRAGONREALMS, the most politically correct MUD. A little interaction goes a long way in terms of figuring people out. If you say hi to someone, and they growl at you -- the assumption is they must be grumpy. GMNPC kills familiars? Obviously has issues. Simple.