Royal Succession 06/10/2004 03:53 PM CDT
You will have to excuse my misspellings...

Now, in royalty, if we have Human Ruler marry Elven Lady, and they have 2 children, Prince Human (firstborn) and Prince Elf. Human Ruler dies. Prince Human takes over. Prince human is NOW human king (changed from ruler to help sort things out). Human King rules, marrys, and sires little babies. Human King dies. The babies are (if male) next in line for the crown, NOT the Prince Elf.

Thus if Vorclaff had a human son first, and the son also produced heirs, the question of an elf ruler would be void, no?

But, that is just me guessing...

Maxxwel, druken babbling empath at large.
Re: Royal Succession 06/10/2004 03:56 PM CDT
<<Thus if Vorclaff had a human son first, and the son also produced heirs, the question of an elf ruler would be void, no?

The elf has a lifespan of 3,000 years and may outlive the line of humans? So if 3 generations later no heir was produced it would fall to the elf?

The guild leader says, "Not yet, not yet, things are not yet prepared for the challenge that you must pass in order to advance beyond this point. Come back another time."

Re: Royal Succession 06/10/2004 04:17 PM CDT
that sounds about right....

good thing humans breed like bunnies ^_^

or atleast this human tries too....

Maxxwel, druken babbling empath at large.
Re: Royal Succession 06/10/2004 06:30 PM CDT

As far as succession from what i gather is is generally the first son. If he produces and heir in falls to the heir. The old medieval from what i gather went basically first son inherits lands titles so on. The second goes into the clergy, the third well if you were the third you were kinda screwed... you had to go out and make a name for yourself.

From what i can figure if vorclaf and silvyrfrost have a child the child will be heir and not keresyk. Keresyk would still be heir to Leth but no longer to the throne. Naming him the heir kinda solved problems if for some reason vorclaf died with no heir.
The fact that he is one of the few remaining relations helps it along too. Just a thought.

Player of Ibec

Stamped upon the parchment is the Crest of House Alshaerd. A grandeous phoenix rising from the Greater Fist of Heavens encircled by golden laurels.

Re: Royal Succession 06/10/2004 07:02 PM CDT
It really can all change if the ruler at anytime takes someone out or puts someone else into the line. This was done quite a lot in history. Elizabeth I's life story is quite filled with it. A common reason would be if someone had a child and divorced and married again whoever his current wife is the child from them would become the next in line by way of virtue being as they have both parents and the first would then be considered bastard.
-Grid
Re: Royal Succession 06/10/2004 07:19 PM CDT
>> From what i can figure if vorclaf and silvyrfrost have a child the child will be heir and not keresyk. Keresyk would still be heir to Leth but no longer to the throne. Naming him the heir kinda solved problems if for some reason vorclaf died with no heir.
The fact that he is one of the few remaining relations helps it along too. Just a thought.<<

Right. Whomever Vorclaf marries and breeds with, that issue will be the heir to Zoluren. Keresyk remains heir to Leth through his mother, Lindryl, and heir to M'Riss through his father, Keirnen. Vorclaf's reasonably named Keresyk heir by virtue of being the prince's only male Sorvendig relative. However, Keresyk does have a reasonable claim to the Zoluren throne by blood without Vorclaf going to the trouble of naming Keresyk his heir because Lindryl's mother was the eldest of Belirendrik II's children. Of course, there's the tiny detail of Lindryl's mother being illegitimate. ;)
Re: Royal Succession 06/10/2004 09:20 PM CDT

So how many of House Sorvendig are left? I generally manage a count of three. Lindryl, Keresyk, and Vorclaf as they tend to be the most visible. Are there any more members(that aren't dead) or even branches of the house. Just a thought.

Commander Ibec Alshaerd of the Royal Navy

Stamped upon the parchment is the Crest of House Alshaerd. A grandeous phoenix rising from the Greater Fist of Heavens encircled by golden laurels.

Re: Royal Succession 06/10/2004 10:13 PM CDT
And correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't someone born to a couple of two different races default to the race of the mother? I think I remember reading that somewhere, but can't, for the life of me, remember where it was. So I could be mistaken.

Amagaim; the player of,

That or make you a first circle Empath who must work 24/7 in the Infirmary, with access only to EWH, while Jourok reads bad poetry and microeconomics of third world nations in his full accent.
--- SGM Auriane
Re: Royal Succession 06/10/2004 10:18 PM CDT
Elven human births can be either they do not default to a parent but there are no "half-elves" they are either elven or human.
-Grid
Re: Royal Succession 06/10/2004 10:19 PM CDT
>>The elf has a lifespan of 3,000 years and may outlive the line of humans? So if 3 generations later no heir was produced it would fall to the elf?

You forget that most elves live to 400-500. We just happen to have very visible exceptions.

>>And correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't someone born to a couple of two different races default to the race of the mother? I think I remember reading that somewhere, but can't, for the life of me, remember where it was. So I could be mistaken.

That's speculation, since it seems to be that way usually. But I believe the example of "Lanival and his brother" proved it incorrect, though I don't remember the argument.

Lieutenant Xelten Tyrsin
Tribunal Dragoons
Aesry Surlaenis'a

"If you can't convince them, confuse them." --Harry S Truman

Fengreve says, "Grishnok pops up, cops an attitude and Dritz webs him, then promptly drops a tree on his face."
Re: Royal Succession 06/10/2004 11:35 PM CDT

From what i gather there are the occational exceptions(these cases are extreamly rare) but most born of elven-human marrages come out one way or the other. Just a thought.

Commander Ibec Alshaerd of the Royal Navy

Re: Royal Succession 06/11/2004 12:06 AM CDT
>>From what i gather there are the occational exceptions(these cases are extreamly rare) but most born of elven-human marrages come out one way or the other. Just a thought.

What exceptions do you cite? I believe it was stated that the child of an Elf and a Human is always either an Elf or a Human and there is no such thing as a Half-Elf.

Correct me if I am mistaken.

Lieutenant Xelten Tyrsin
Tribunal Dragoons
Aesry Surlaenis'a

"If you can't convince them, confuse them." --Harry S Truman

Fengreve says, "Grishnok pops up, cops an attitude and Dritz webs him, then promptly drops a tree on his face."
Re: Royal Succession 06/11/2004 01:22 AM CDT

Wasn't lanival half? Might not have been but thought he was.
Just a thought.

player of Ibec

Re: Royal Succession 06/11/2004 02:40 AM CDT
Read the plaque by the gondola

When tyrants tremble in their fear
and hear their death knell ringing,
when friends rejoice both far and near
how can I keep from singing?

Enyya, 'How Can I Keep From Singing'
Re: Royal Succession 06/11/2004 09:25 AM CDT
Children who are born of elven- other race marraiges do indeed come out looking like one parent or the other- but who is to say that the child doesn't have characteristics from the other parent?

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Royal Succession 06/11/2004 11:26 AM CDT
Right. Seihjin is elven, obviously, but he has characteristics of his father, is shorter than the avg elf and slightly heavier but an elf nonetheless. Characteristics and traits of the other parent are entirely possible from what I have read.
Re: Royal Succession 06/11/2004 12:50 PM CDT
Has quoted from the book The Elven Folk (HRmpOL) in the Academy Library west room, in Riverhaven

<<Time, however, is a steady mistress, and the children soon grew and spread out into the world. Many of them married humans, and hereforth something odd happened when these couples had children. Rather than coming out as a hybrid of their parents, the resulting children were invariably always EXACTLY like their Elven parent, or EXACTLY like their Human parent. ...... Now, by exactly I do not mean completely similar in likeness, but rather in species; a child who looked like his or her Human parent never had pointed ears and slanted eyes, nor did his or her children, nor did they live long lives. They were as their mortal parent; brief.>>

Yamcer

Listen to the MUSN'TS , child,
Listen to the DON'TS
Listen to the SHOULDN'TS
The IMPOSSIBLES , the WON'TS
Listen to the NEVER HAVES
Then listen close to me-
Anything can happen, child,
ANYTHING can be.