Re: Post addressing how nobility RP . . . 06/03/2004 03:46 PM CDT
>>>>1. If you are a common person (not a noble) you do not touch a noble, they touch you. That means you do not kneel and grab their ring and kiss it, you wait for them to extend their hand. You do not pat them on the back. If they hug you, you can hug them back, if they don't, well, don't.<<<<<<<<<<<

I used to do this. I'd wait to be touched, hugged, etc. However after being chided by Lindryl the other day for being TOO formal, I'm going to try just hugging first and touching when I feel its appropriate. If the people I'm touching, kissing and hugging don't like it they can tell me so.

My character is too much in awe of the Prince even to hug him back if and when he does.

Nirveli doesn't touch Owaen or Zoranyl, not because she respects them more but because her relationship is all business with them. Same reason why most people in Elanthia don't rate a hug from her.

>>>>>2. If you are a common person and you have some kind of relationship to a noble (friendship, love, etc) you need to be careful about displaying evidence of such a relationship in public. Since it's not possible for the adventurer to marry the noble, it seems like something else is going on that might not be suitable.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Excuse me but my character's personal relationships are none of your business.

Again this comes under if the person being hugged, kissed, or touched doesn't like it they can tell me so.

>>>One should not address a noble by their first name.<<<

Again if the person being addressed doesn't like it they can speak up. I am only speaking of GM played nobles though. By habit and traditon people in Elanthia are usually adressed by their first name.

>>>don't tell a ruler you "have discussed things and thought them over and you decide you'll agree and comply with their demands"...this smacks of insult. It says that you have a choice and that you only choose to obey them. It is like halfway denying their standing and power. You arn't doing the ruler a favor. <<<<<

Actually I am doing them a favor. I can decide not to work for them, and to not commit my resources, my power and my money. I earned everything I have, and they just got it handed to them.

If you want to blindly obey go right ahead. My character does not. I choose to obey, and I choose to play the game.

I don't know where this idea got started that nobles don't depend on the good graces of the powerful and wealthy. Nobles were always short on cash and needed alliances with the mercantile and craft classes to make they could live in the appropriate style.
Having been born into a powerful and wealthy merchant family IRL I'm well aware myself of how influential money and the right connections are.

PCs are heroes. They are the exceptional memebers of their race or profession. Each one of them has an exceptional background and history.

Also being born into nobility is a misnomer. The Schlosser family and the Reyes family are both what is considered 'minor nobility'. The originators of these families did some service for the royal family and was awarded the patent of nobility.

The patent of nobility, the right to design a crest and titles as well as the oppertunities to marry into the noble and royal lines was a privledge awarded for service to the Crown. It is not outside the realm of possibility to expect Vorclaf to say 'You have done good service for me, I award you a patent of nobility."

Seems like some people are looking at a very narrow slice of European history. My RL family was once peasants, fishermen and traders who because of their services to the Crown recieve status of nobility and eventually married into the royal blood.

It was NOT unusual for merchants and mercenaries to have titles, privledges and land bestowed on them by a grateful monarch.

Titles could also be 'purchased' by donations of coin, equipment, favors, allianaces, indulgences or the liasions of one's kin with the monarch. Certainly the English nobility considered friendships (and more than friendships) as a honorable and accepted way to cement their own claims or to be awarded new claims.

I would expect that if somone in Elanthia donated a huge amount of coin, that could buy them a title. Heck I could respect someone who did that. I mean huge on the national budget scale though.

When tyrants tremble in their fear
and hear their death knell ringing,
when friends rejoice both far and near
how can I keep from singing?

Enya, 'How Can I Keep From Singing'
Re: Post addressing how nobility RP . . . 06/03/2004 03:52 PM CDT
>>>It was NOT unusual for merchants and mercenaries to have titles, privledges and land bestowed on them by a grateful monarch.<<<

If you like, give me a little time, and I will post a short thesis disproving that statement. While some folks were elevated to the nobility during the time Feudalism was truly functioning and not a figurehead scenario, this was necessarily quite rare due to the theory of feudal legitimacy.

You may be confusing the purchase of offices and lands with the purchase of noble titles. These two concepts have vastly different repercussions to the social network.

---Brett
Re: Post addressing how nobility RP . . . 06/03/2004 03:57 PM CDT
Rare yes, but not unheard of.

And you Brett are focusing on a very narrow time in history in from what I can see is a very select portion of Europe. If you define narrowly enough you can prove anything.

Enyya, 'How Can I Keep From Singing'
Re: Post addressing how nobility RP . . . 06/03/2004 04:49 PM CDT
>>>And you Brett are focusing on a very narrow time in history in from what I can see is a very select portion of Europe. If you define narrowly enough you can prove anything.<<<

Does that mean you want to see the thesis or does that mean you are just assuming I must be incorrect?

---Brett
Re: Post addressing how nobility RP . . . 06/03/2004 05:30 PM CDT
I would like to see your thesis, Brett. ;) I've visitted your site a few times before and found it wonderfully informative.

My take on this: Ryeka isn't a 'noblewoman' and never has been. And she's not comfortable with the idea of being treated as one. But she does know something of accepting respect with grace, and she is respectful to the rulers. After all, they've got a big job. However- She isn't subservient, and woe to he who tries to force her to be so! While affectionate, Ryeka knows better than to try to hug a nobleman without invitation. She will listen to what a nobleman says, and if she finds the advice or directive good, she'll take it. She's not shy about approaching- let us say prince Vorclaf- if she knows something he needs to hear. But she won't bait him or talk down to him. Even Raenilar- whom she has no love for at all- will find that she won't waste time or breath on needless insults. Although she refuses to call Raenilar 'King'.

The player behind Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Post addressing how nobility RP . . . 06/03/2004 05:43 PM CDT
The rules really haven't changed all that much, even for Americans. A few years ago I was standing outside an office building, waiting for my ride home (the office building was across the street from the Statehouse) when the governor of the state and a small entourage jaywalked across six lanes of traffic and approached the little pod of people standing near the building entrance. One of the women standing there began to get excited and showed great enthusiasm for being so close to his illustrious self and he began shaking hands and kissing women.

So I'm standing there on the street minding my own business and this man I had never met grasps me by the shoulders and kisses me on the cheek. I was stunned by the familiarity (I'm definitely NOT a touchy-feelie person in RL) and not particularly pleased by it. A "normal" person would never have done this but since this man was the governor of the state it was not only acceptable but apparently to be received as something of an honor. And no, I did not kiss him back.
Re: Post addressing how nobility RP . . . 06/03/2004 05:59 PM CDT
Funny thing about kissing. Having been raised by European parents (one German and one Portugese) I grew up being kissed half to death by relatives. My great-grandparents, grandparents, close family and cousins to the third degree didn't expect a peck on the cheek either.

Now later in life, if you want to shake hands most people act like you have some kind of strange disease.

Re: Post addressing how nobility RP . . . 06/03/2004 08:06 PM CDT
I'll see about putting a little thesis together on the theory of legitimacy of feudalism and how it was played out in Medieval Europe (can't really get into Asia, that's a different kettle of fish.) It's good for me to stay in practice. However, it won't be out right away, might be a week or so if my current work schedule holds true.

I can say a few things in the meantime though :)

It is true that at certain places and times, nobility was outright purchased. In those places and times, feudalism ceased to be a viable form of government in very short order. The practice undermined its core legitimacy, and the faith of the people in what nobility was all about.

In Elanthia, feudalism has lasted FAR longer than it did in the real world. That being the case, you have to make the assumption that the core elements of feudalism have been adhered to more strictly than they were in, say, Renaissance Italy; otherwise it would have morphed into something else a long time ago.

Taking the elements that made feudalism disintegrate in the real world, and making them part of Elanthian feudalism, is setting up two opposing trains on the same track. If (and this is an assumption I am making) the idea is to keep Elanthia primarily based on feudalism, so that we can play a medieval world of Kings and Queens and Knights, then it is destructive to support practices that lead to its dissolution.

This isn't just about making some history nerds like myself satisfied; this is about making a game world function feasibly. If, as events unfold, there ends up being absolutely no common sense reason as to why the feudal government is still in place, the game world feels fake and forced. People would in good faith make assumptions that violate feudal values because there ARE no feudal values, and the hassle this will create for people trying to RP a medieval society will come up again and again because there's no reason NOT to.

And there would be reason to just move on and make Elanthia democratic and get it over with. Do we really want that?

---Brett
Re: Post addressing how nobility RP . . . 06/03/2004 08:40 PM CDT
<<And there would be reason to just move on and make Elanthia democratic and get it over with. Do we really want that?>>

No way. That would be absolutely boring. And I know the question was rhetorical, but I imagine a lot of people out there would like a democratic Elanthia, so I decided to chime in. For what little it's worth.

And by the way, great posts on the subject, Brett. I would love to read your mini-thesis if you write it.

-Fierolan's player

Have you hugged your embittered Mountain Elf today?
Re: Post addressing how nobility RP . . . 06/03/2004 08:48 PM CDT
The problem I see with the current nobility situation in DR is that there are 214690827 badass peasants walking around with swords. So while RL comparisons are interesting, the history of Midieval Europe would have been quite different if all those serfs were armed and capable of killing their lords.

starkad
______
We had broken up for good just an hour before
Now I'm staring at the bodies as they're dancing 'cross the floor
And then the band slowed the tempo when the music took you down
It was the same old song with the melancholy sound
Re: Post addressing how nobility RP . . . 06/03/2004 08:53 PM CDT
>>>So while RL comparisons are interesting, the history of Midieval Europe would have been quite different if all those serfs were armed and capable of killing their lords.<<<

Serfs were not allowed to carry weapons. However, freemen (which outnumbered serfs for the majority of the Middle Ages) not only were allowed to carry weapons, but were generally required to do so in case of military need. Quite a few of those folks (yeomen, captains, and the like) were well trained killers and at least as good at it as their lords were.

You can't underestimate the power of belief in a system of government.

You also can't trivialize and undermine it with constant roleplay of 'exceptions' and almost no roleplay of the 'rule' when representing a game's government, unless you want it all to fall apart.

---Brett
Re: Post addressing how nobility RP . . . 06/03/2004 09:03 PM CDT
>You also can't trivialize and undermine it with constant roleplay of 'exceptions' and almost no roleplay of the 'rule' when representing a game's government, unless you want it all to fall apart.

I agree with Brett completely here. It's ok for a few rebel types to be roaming around, but if everyone did it, then we'd be looking at pure chaos. It blows the RP environment to shreds, and then what fun do you have? It's like watching a bad B-movie where the scenery has a completely different atmosphere than the script.

So yeah, Kodiac may be a knucklehead and do everything Baron Gyfford tells him to, but he actually believes that the House of Theren is in charge for a reason, that Chadatru guides the Baron, and that by serving him with loyalty, everything else will fall in place.

If nothing else, it's fun and different to RP something that's actually a bit farther away from my RL personality.

~Kodiac
LT, Dragon Company
Therengian Infantry
Re: Post addressing how nobility RP . . . 06/03/2004 10:46 PM CDT
<<he actually believes that the House of Theren is in charge for a reason, that Chadatru guides the Baron, and that by serving him with loyalty, everything else will fall in place.

>>

This is the important theme that I think is lacking. Belief in the system as was stated and as Kodiac is an example of. Many take the attitude that they should act toward established nobility however they wish because they feel they -can- and they're strong warriors. The -belief- is misplaced too often. People -believed- in the Three Orders system, in divine rule, in feudalism. You followed the ruler because it was his right to rule and he is there for that reason. What was the old saying? 'Don't tell me how to till my lands and I don't tell you how to rule your kingdom' type thing? I hope I am not misquoting that, been a while.

Toulom says to Ibec, "You've unmarried since we last talked."

Ibec says, "wasn't married to begin with"

Toulom snickers to himself.

Toulom cheerfully exclaims, "Exactly!"
Re: Post addressing how nobility RP . . . 06/04/2004 12:51 AM CDT
I was referred here to look at some of the posts as a kind of negative expression of what all to often falls down in DR. Allthough I found that here, I also found some very solid posts by some individuals here that I would have thought incapable of doing so till now. I am realy happy to be proven wrong and to those who I underestimated I apologize and stand corrected.

However, there is still the thread of cultural confusion that seems to be ever present in DR. Whose culture? European culture, and not just European culture but that culture which spans the largest block of time in the history of Indo-European heritage. I have heard some people react to this assertion with ... "but this is fantasy, NOT history". Well, if it is fantasy, then fantasy must not require cognitive, logical, or cohesive asspects to it cultural dynamic. Allow me to illustrate.

>>>3. You do not directly tell a ruler they are wrong, atleast not in public. You can suggest that another way is better, but you do not directly contradict them. This applies whether or not you are a common person. As long as you rank below them, you cannot directly point them out as being wrong in public. To point it out in public is not only a direct insult but causes a loss of face for the noble. Semantics are your friend.<<<

Excellent point (the rest of your post was supperb as well but I wanted to just use this one point for illustration), the one acception here are Jester ... Fools. Yes, you gussed it Vidumavi. So why does Vid get to be an exception and no one else. Well, its not just Vid but any Jester who is in the employee of a noble. Why Jesters who are employed so? Because no one ELSE could say to the king "Sorry your Majesty but you made a huge mistake and got your army killed." Jesters, however, if they are received well, will do so though humor and if not through jibes. Even there, however, they really don't say that out right even still.

It is the social mechanism for saying something that can not be said normally which is the point. ie Surprise surprise, and despite what your sixth grade history teach might have told you, Medieval (and I mean that in the BROADEST sense possible) culture worked as well, if not better, than the current American one. Hey, it had several hundered years to get it straight.

As far as cross caste elevation goes things like that did occur. In times and places where the Nobility was scattered and not unified (and I mean this on a semi-permanent level ... ie 19th and early 20th C. Russia, late period Italy etc.) Also in times that the Nobility had distroyed some of thier own cultural elements ... ie killed all the Jesters. This is, however, quite clearly the exception not the rule, it would be problematic at best to create any game like DR off of the exceptions to culture not the rules.

As far as Brett's mini-Thesis goes, I would love to read it, but it should be understood that it stands in the same category as a mini-thesis on the fact that electricity shocks you. Maybe if deviating from the facts of history had the same outcome as deviating on the physics of electricity this subject would be clearer to some.

--Tim, Vid's player ... Oh. As an aside, incase some don't know .... I play servants.
Re: Post addressing how nobility RP . . . 06/04/2004 02:18 AM CDT
A couple clarifications...

Some player or other typo'd and inadvertently licked Lindryl. Being as we all make typos and occassionally mistypye commands, and that the player immediately gave an OOC whisper apologizing and explaning that the command was erroneous, I chose to ignore the verb use after a brief stare at the player and receiving an assurance that it wasn't intended.

Lindryl's nobility... Lindryl's bloodlines are everybit as "good" as Vorclaf's. Vorclaf's father was the youngest child of Belirendrik II; Vorclaf's mother was from Therengian nobility. Lindryl's mother was the eldest child of Belirendrik II; Lindryl's father was from the Elvish nobility of Leth Deriel. Two big differences, however -- first, although the eldest child, Lindryl's mother was illegitimate. Secondly, while Lindryl did grow up in the Zoluren court, she also spent significant time with her Rissan kin. Now, although there is not anything that resembles American democracy in Elanthia, there is considerable movement between social strata on M'Riss. The manners on M'Riss can be every bit as formal as they are on the mainland, but those manners take different form. Their government is a shadowy, secretive thing -- but it is clear that the adventuring class on M'Riss does hold some power since commanders and ambassadors are selected by the adventuring class itself and that recommended selection approved or disapproved by those who do rule M'Riss.

Because of her background and circumstances, she is more tolerant of behavior that would be viewed as "inappropriate" ... but don't take that as any indication that she herself is not a noble. If you want to take the view her education, morals, and conduct are deficient that is quite one thing -- but to conclude that her lineage is suspect would be a mistake.
Re: Post addressing how nobility RP . . . 06/04/2004 08:58 AM CDT
Lindryl is a sweetie, Striderr was crushed when he found out she got married while he was gone and had a kid. <sniffle>

~ Striderr Slayn ~ Ranger

This post will self destruct in 5 seconds.

Still reading? What kind of a Secret Agent are you?
Re: Post addressing how nobility RP . . . 06/04/2004 09:37 AM CDT
>>Lindryl is a sweetie, Striderr was crushed when he found out she got married while he was gone and had a kid. <sniffle>

Don't worry, there's an easy solution. Get married to some random woman, and then you might get a shot.

>
(Korsik dragon)
>
You exclaim, "Rawr! Fire!"
Re: Post addressing how nobility RP . . . 06/04/2004 10:04 AM CDT
<<Some player or other typo'd and inadvertently licked Lindryl. Being as we all make typos and occassionally mistypye commands, and that the player immediately gave an OOC whisper apologizing and explaning that the command was erroneous, I chose to ignore the verb use after a brief stare at the player and receiving an assurance that it wasn't intended.
>>

Definately. And as the player I understood that as well. However, it has to also be understood that I have no way to know that at the time and when I was informed (not by her), it was after Seihjin had already responded (with a look). At that point I hoped to leave it at that because I certainly know how mistakes can happen. Unfortunately that character chose to elevate the issue, in which case I -had- to respond accordingly, thus making ignoring the issue impossible. To this day he is treated with slanderous disrespect by the character (of which the RP is cool with me) by a mistake her -player- made which is out of my control.

Ibec says, "wasn't married to begin with"

Toulom snickers to himself.

Toulom cheerfully exclaims, "Exactly!"
Re: Post addressing how nobility RP . . . 06/04/2004 11:55 AM CDT
I'd go play over in M'riss if there was anything besides gem selling to do there for traders.

Re: Post addressing how nobility RP . . . 06/04/2004 12:12 PM CDT
I tried that once, when I tried there were no gems on Mriss, and to buy bundles in the field you have to get past them sling stones that appear out of no where.

http://www.drtraders.net/gallery
http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=drealms
Re: Post addressing how nobility RP . . . 06/04/2004 01:19 PM CDT
>>>Because of her background and circumstances, she is more tolerant of behavior that would be viewed as "inappropriate" ... but don't take that as any indication that she herself is not a noble. If you want to take the view her education, morals, and conduct are deficient that is quite one thing -- but to conclude that her lineage is suspect would be a mistake. <<<

Or that might be just the exact reason as to why a PC might consider Lindryl not noble at all. There is a tendancy by individuals in culture "Y" to view individuals in culture "X" as NOT the same as themselves. Other than the obvious "this dude looks different", what I am saying here is that it was very much the case for one ruler in Europe to look at another ruler in the Middle East or in the America's and say "This other King is no King at all". This trend in European culture, and its variants, is documentable to that date when European's first started writing things down.

The fact that M'Riss has a governing council that is secreted away and that one of these members could be the butcher, baker, or candlestick maker could very much be used as a spring board for one set of Nobility to look at M'Riss and say "You see thier rulers are not noble at all."

>>>Lindryl's nobility... Lindryl's bloodlines are everybit as "good" as Vorclaf's. Vorclaf's father was the youngest child of Belirendrik II; Vorclaf's mother was from Therengian nobility. Lindryl's mother was the eldest child of Belirendrik II; Lindryl's father was from the Elvish nobility of Leth Deriel. Two big differences, however -- first, although the eldest child, Lindryl's mother was illegitimate. Secondly, while Lindryl did grow up in the Zoluren court, she also spent significant time with her Rissan kin.<<<

As far as Lindryl's geneology goes it may appear, from a certain perspective, that her claim to the Principality is a little stronger that Vorclaf's. Her mother, as stated, was the primogeniture to the Belirendrik throne, legitimate or illegitimate births were ALWAYS a point of contention within the cultural dynamic we are discussing.

The biggest issue against Lindryl's claim here is one of base function and even baser human nature. The function is that she is Elven ... ie allow an elf to ascend to the throne of a human kingdom and what you now have is an Elven kingdom ... thousands of years is impossible to make up from the human side. The human nature part is the fact that Lindryl is elven. Which means she is the "other" with in the dominant human culture of Zoluren. A functioning Noble culture is not going to miss that, and if they are threatened with extinction would respond accordingly, as history shows us.

And yes, if Keresyk assends the throne we will have an Elven kingdom in Zoluren ... or a Bonny Prince Charley if it played true to form.

--Tim the player of Vidumavi
Re: Post addressing how nobility RP . . . 06/04/2004 03:13 PM CDT
>>And yes, if Keresyk assends the throne we will have an Elven kingdom in Zoluren ... or a Bonny Prince Charley if it played true to form.

And once again, we don't want that. Let's not have a king for 3000 years. He'll make things all.. elvish. =/

>
(Korsik dragon)
>
Re: Post addressing how nobility RP . . . 06/04/2004 03:58 PM CDT
I don't think it's so much that it's 'bad' to be ruled by elves (I know some would disagree ;) ) but that it's very clear from the stability of human noble/royal rule in P1 and P2 that regular mixing with Elves COULD NOT have happened. Elves simply live longer; even if, say, the third child of a human-elf royal marriage was elven, and the other two were human, the third child would outlive the other two and take over at some point and reign for hundreds of years.

If that elf married another elf, that would be pretty much make the royal family elven in its entirety. Seeing that we have strongly established human Royal lines and noble lines, then the assumption MUST be made that the above scenario was not permitted to occur.

Again, it's not a crime if all the kingdoms end up ruled by longer lived races; but that does make things boringly static, and it's more fun to have some kingdoms ruled by humans, some by dwarves, and so forth. The only way this can be logically maintained is if royal intermarriage to the longer lived races is heavily, heavily discouraged.

---Brett
Re: Post addressing how nobility RP . . . 06/04/2004 07:28 PM CDT
>>>If that elf married another elf, that would be pretty much make the royal family elven in its entirety. Seeing that we have strongly established human Royal lines and noble lines, then the assumption MUST be made that the above scenario was not permitted to occur.

Which means that the upper ranks of Zoluren society (i.e., ambassadors, Commanders, minor PC nobles, etc.) have a vested interest in insuring Prince Vorclaf being married to a non-Elf and producing a direct heir to the throne in a semi-reasonable time-frame. As much as I like Keresyk and Silvyrfrost, both player-and character-wise, they are both Elven, and would therefore rule for a very long time. With a human heir to the throne, especially an issuance directly from the Prince, there would be no need to concern ourselves with the situation. Which means that there should be a scouring of all eligible females of the Humans, Kaldar, Olvi, and Rakash to find a suitable wife for the good Prince. As well as a subtle leaning on him to do what is right for the province as a whole rather than marrying for love.

And I'm reminded of the background situations of my favorite science fiction series, the Honor Harrington novels by David Weber. In the series, the royal heir was constitutionally required to marry a commoner in order to make it harder for any of the landed nobles to get into the direct line of succession. So perhaps that idea could be brought into Zoluren politics.

I hear that one Daisy Burdock is a fine figure of an Olvi. And still quite young, too.

Amagaim; the player of,

That or make you a first circle Empath who must work 24/7 in the Infirmary, with access only to EWH, while Jourok reads bad poetry and microeconomics of third world nations in his full accent.
--- SGM Auriane
Re: Post addressing how nobility RP . . . 06/04/2004 07:36 PM CDT
<<<With a human heir to the throne, especially an issuance directly from the Prince, there would be no need to concern ourselves with the situation. Which means that there should be a scouring of all eligible females of the Humans, Kaldar, Olvi, and Rakash to find a suitable wife for the good Prince.>>>

Olvi have too much foot hair. Rakash might be interesting on a full moon. Atleast you didn't recommend a Gnome. Human is probably a wise choice but... Mmmm... Elven.

-V
Re: Post addressing how nobility RP . . . 06/04/2004 07:42 PM CDT
>>>In the series, the royal heir was constitutionally required to marry a commoner in order to make it harder for any of the landed nobles to get into the direct line of succession. So perhaps that idea could be brought into Zoluren politics.<<<

It's an interesting idea... but not sure how truly useful it would be because it 'thins' the nobility of the ruling line to the point that there is no royal blood in short order. If that's the case, why call the Royal family noble at all? And why would nobles bow to a commoner on the throne? It contradicts the theory of why a King rules (which is they are the most noble person of the entire upper class. All that other stuff about God's Will is just icing on the cake.)

I've always found that in a multiplayer fantasy game setting, if you want to present a governmental system that is NOT modern Democracy as viable, you have to be very hard hitting in showing that it WORKS and follows internal logic. Players will play along once they see that logic for themselves. If the government doesn't work well, and constantly contradicts itself, the already difficult effort of getting people to play along becomes overwhelmingly difficult, if not impossible.

Managing the playability of society in a multiplayer game brings additional OOC pressures to bear upon the presentation of an IC government.

---Brett
Re: Post addressing how nobility RP . . . 06/04/2004 07:52 PM CDT
You know what would be great is if Emmilyn inheirted Zoluren and Keresyk ruled in Leth.

Re: Post addressing how nobility RP . . . 06/04/2004 08:41 PM CDT
<<It's an interesting idea... but not sure how truly useful it would be because it 'thins' the nobility of the ruling line to the point that there is no royal blood in short order. If that's the case, why call the Royal family noble at all? And why would nobles bow to a commoner on the throne? It contradicts the theory of why a King rules (which is they are the most noble person of the entire upper class. All that other stuff about God's Will is just icing on the cake.)

I think you mistake what was intended. The idea that I see behind this is that there is no Bowing to commoners or "thinning the blood". The ruler, and those who wish to be in the line of succesion, are forced by law to marry a commoner. Any children that result from this marriage are considered to be royal, not common, and not of lesser Blood. The spouse would at no time be considered a royal in and of themselves, and would never actually be in the line of succession nor ever be elligable to rule. Should their royal spouse die, then either their children would rule, or a close relative would assume the throne, based on the line of succession. If a Regency is called for, they would still never be elligible to be the regent.

This is an acknowlegement that all houses started with an exceptional commoner. It prevents inbreeding, something the british and the former spanish royal house could have sorely used. And forces a closer understanding of what the purpose of royalty is. And as was previously mentioned, it prevents the lords from gaining too much power. The biggest problems of most systems of government has always been the prevention of those who are worthy from ever acheiving anything, and allowing incompetent people to rule in their place.

Mole

AIM ~ Jasperjohn DR

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Help. Help. If anyone reads this I am being held prisoner by an evil Eunuch. Help.
Re: Post addressing how nobility RP . . . 06/04/2004 09:54 PM CDT
>>>This is an acknowlegement that all houses started with an exceptional commoner. <<<

Try to trace back a few English or French noble houses and see where they start. I can save you the time and tell you that they almost all declare that their first noted ancestor was a noble under Charlemagne, chosen from the upperclass of various tribes. They really like to feel as if they were never, ever common or that if they had a commoner in their past, it was one tiny blip buried in the avalanche of nobles. Not that they'd want to talk about it generally.

>>>It prevents inbreeding, something the british and the former spanish royal house could have sorely used.<<<

Oh yes, most definitely. All governmental forms have their downsides. The potential for inbreeding is definitely the downside of any government that elevated some bloodlines above others.

>>>And forces a closer understanding of what the purpose of royalty is.<<<

Which is?

Don't forget that feudalism is based upon bloodline. Royal babies were not allowed to nurse from commoner nannies because they might get too much 'commoner' into their bodies. Feudal people saw this in a very real, physical, absolute kind of way - not a theoretical, 'we can call it whatever we want' sort of way. When it became close to impossible to keep the families distinct based on blood, this was one reason why feudalism disintegrated. You lose that keystone, the whole arch crumbles.

>>>And as was previously mentioned, it prevents the lords from gaining too much power.<<<

Then I can't see too many lords going along with it. A lot of people are unaware that the Magna Carta was not about the inherent rights of man; it was a group of nobles getting together and forcing the King to sign a document that guaranteed their power. They had felt that things were getting too centralized.

>>>The biggest problems of most systems of government has always been the prevention of those who are worthy from ever acheiving anything, and allowing incompetent people to rule in their place.<<<

Yep. This happens in different ways in different governments. People as a whole are not stunningly bright, and stupid things are done by stupid people no matter how much people try to resist that inevitability. Our modern Democracy is no exception to this.

By the way, the idea for a story is quite interesting, don't get me wrong. I just see it as adding more internal confusion to a system that is already difficult for most gamers to grasp, so I wouldn't recommend it for a game like DR. Clarity and reinforcement is by far the route with less hassle in the long run.

---Brett
Re: Post addressing how nobility RP . . . 06/04/2004 10:52 PM CDT
>>>At least you didn't recommend a Gnome.

Gnome: The other white meat.

Amagaim; the player of,

That or make you a first circle Empath who must work 24/7 in the Infirmary, with access only to EWH, while Jourok reads bad poetry and microeconomics of third world nations in his full accent.
--- SGM Auriane
Re: Post addressing how nobility RP . . . 06/05/2004 12:58 AM CDT
>>And forces a closer understanding of what the purpose of royalty is.

Uh. Last time I checked... power. And that's about it.

Money, fame, and an occupied bed were all part of power. If you couldn't get one of the three whenever you wanted it, you weren't in control. And nobility could.

They wrote the laws, and it was their "god-given right" to not follow them.

>
(Korsik dragon)
>
Re: Post addressing how nobility RP . . . 06/05/2004 01:37 AM CDT
>>>Uh. Last time I checked... power. And that's about it.<<<

Most governments are about power :) I was asking what was distinctive about the purpose of royalty as opposed to other sorts of governing bodies. The distinctions usually come from the social construct they represent.

And yes, nobles and kings broke the 'rules' from time to time, the way people do. There were just prices to be paid for it, and I tend to notice that in fantasy games, rules are broken because it's neat and 'edgy' but the negative IC results are rarely played out. The negative OOC results (lack of support/understanding for the in-game government/culture) get played out immediately.

---Brett
Re: Post addressing how nobility RP . . . 06/05/2004 02:39 PM CDT
>>And forces a closer understanding of what the purpose of royalty is.

<<Uh. Last time I checked... power. And that's about it.

The purpose of royalty is to govern and protect their people. Kings who ignore this sufficiently tend to come to messy ends. Of course for every 50 kings that ignore this only 1 will ever succeed in pissing off enough people, or rather the right people, in order to be removed.

Mole

AIM ~ Jasperjohn DR

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Help. Help. If anyone reads this I am being held prisoner by an evil Eunuch. Help.
Re: Post addressing how nobility RP . . . 06/05/2004 09:28 PM CDT
I think that it's a little alarmist to worry about the throne of Zoluren being occupied by Elves any time soon. For one, it is possible, even likely that Keresyk is heir only so long as Vorclaf is without direct issue. And even if Vorclaf marries Silvyrfrost (and there's no guarantee that she would, as she's devoted to her Guild) any children of the union (possibly a while in arriving due to the nature of Elven reproduction) may well be Human. In that case, I feel for Silvy... gaving to watch one's mate and child die of old age is not a fate I wish on anyone.

-Eleneri Pen'neth, Elven Bard
Re: Post addressing how nobility RP . . . 06/05/2004 09:41 PM CDT
>>>I think that it's a little alarmist to worry about the throne of Zoluren being occupied by Elves any time soon. <<<

I don't think anyone was panicking. We're just discussing logical gameworld flow.

>>And even if Vorclaf marries Silvyrfrost (and there's no guarantee that she would, as she's devoted to her Guild) any children of the union (possibly a while in arriving due to the nature of Elven reproduction) may well be Human. <<<

Even if one of them is elven, it will outlive the human heirs and eventually take the crown. That's the problem with blending in longer-lived races with human royal succession lines. If it was done on an even occasional basis, odds are that over the centuries, there would be no human royal families anywhere.

This isn't about our characters running around screaming that the sky is falling; it's about players looking at what feasibly must have been a pattern of tradition and what that means as far as consistent gameplay: i.e., a tradition limiting elven heirs, one way or another.

By the way, that's another good point that would make yet another reason for discouraging a human noble from marrying an elf; the difficulty of producing an heir. Humans are much more likely to be 'safe' in that regard. (Of course, people rarely actually play it that way. If you go with what players do, elves are really, really fecund and popping out babies constantly.)

---Brett
Re: Post addressing how nobility RP . . . 06/05/2004 10:12 PM CDT
Discussion of the sucession has always been a favorite topic of people no matter the current state of affairs.

Re: Post addressing how nobility RP . . . 06/05/2004 10:58 PM CDT

Well in terms of Zoluren politics its not a matter if the prince is elven and can live 100+ years. If he is a tyrant and downright aweful... he won't last long. There is other possiblities of em meeting an end.. There have been five Royal Houses in the span of Zoluren's existance and Vorclaf's will likely not be the last. If Silvyrfrost and Vorclaf marry and produce progeny good for them. It is far better to have heirs than have no heirs. If the line of succession were to end there would be a guarrenty of another civil war. Just a thought.

Commander Ibec Alshaerd of the Royal Navy

Stamped upon the parchment is the Crest of House Alshaerd. A grandeous phoenix rising from the Greater Fist of Heavens encircled by golden laurels.

Re: Post addressing how nobility RP . . . 06/06/2004 12:58 AM CDT
I just had a general thought...

The standard 'balance' between elves and humans in just about any fantasy game is that elves are fewer and do not have many, if any, children, but they live a long time. They don't populate the earth with countless longlived elves, while humans are supposed to be the majority due to their ability to have many children even though they die 'early.'

I know this was written into DR as well, but few people play this out. The reality in DR is that there are tons of elves and they all breed like bunnies. The balance is... hmmmmmmm.

Just random thoughts. No real point to it, I suppose.

---Brett