Reaching the Prince 04/24/2004 11:30 AM CDT
How do I send a letter to Prince Vorclaf?

Thank you,

~Lt. Skylira Mer'Luna, Zoluren Cavalry
Re: Reaching the Prince 04/24/2004 12:08 PM CDT
Have a ranger attatch it to an arrow and aim for the privy window?

Or post in the Zoluren folder

http://www.drtraders.net/gallery
http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=drealms
Re: Reaching the Prince 04/24/2004 01:27 PM CDT
You can send correspondence to dr-events@play.net.

It will get where it needs to go. :)

SGM Auriane
Re: Reaching the Prince 04/26/2004 02:04 PM CDT
Thank you, Auriane!

Re: Reaching the Prince 05/13/2004 09:07 AM CDT
Isn't that an OOC way to reach an ingame personality?

~ Striderr Slayn ~ Ranger

This post will self destruct in 5 seconds.

Still reading? What kind of a Secret Agent are you?
Re: Reaching the Prince 05/13/2004 10:56 AM CDT
>Isn't that an OOC way to reach an ingame personality?

Because Elanthia does not have couriers to deliver missives to royalty, dr-events@play.net is what we, the players, have been instructed to use. It's being used in the absence of something IG, something which I hope will come about eventually (couriers, etc.).

Player of-
Re: Reaching the Prince 05/13/2004 11:41 AM CDT
Yeah but why not just find him in game yourself you know be the courier yourself? That's how I used to find NPCs. How hard is it to send a familiar to ask for an audience when he's in realms?

Re: Reaching the Prince 05/13/2004 12:52 PM CDT
Very difficult if your OOC schedules do not mesh. I've missed Vorclaf IG many times because I had to go to bed (and he never sleeps ;) or I had OOC things I had to do. Meanwhile in DR land Seihjin is still alive and would not just be sitting on his hands knowing he has to get in touch with the Prince. I think an even more OOC method would be to assume the -extreme- that sending letters do not exist, not possible, do not happen.

Eluresturi asks Keresyk in Ilithic, "What are you up to, demonic boy?"
_________________________________________________________________________________________
Your mind hears Jourok thinking, "Shut yer yap, ye skinny little gap tooth nibblet."
Re: Reaching the Prince 05/13/2004 02:34 PM CDT
>How hard is it to send a familiar to ask for an audience when he's in realms?

If I had a familiar, it would be much easier. As a Moon Mage, I won't locate him. Due to the war, fams and locates make people uneasy at best and to do so to the Prince is simply not feasible.

Re: Reaching the Prince 05/13/2004 06:56 PM CDT
Not to mention a lot of the NPCs really dislike having familiars in their audience chambers or wherever they are (and I'm talking about the good guys here). Anyone ever watch the Baron order a familiar off his dais? And there are some places in the Keep in Zoluren that a familiar will not reach anyway. Until they give us an IC way to send written missives, this is the best we've got.

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Re: Reaching the Prince 05/14/2004 10:49 AM CDT
Yeah but what I'm saying is if you really wanted to you could easily reach them in an IC manner rather than resorting to an OOC method of sending an email. Yeah you're a moon mage, so I'm a Ranger, if I wanted to get a familiar sent I'd just find a War mage and ask them to do it for me. Listen you're not going to be able to justify to me that this isn't a more RP valuewise method than sending an OOC email. Also, if your schedules don't match up, well that's a scheduling problem, be more patient, eventually you'll be on at the same time, or better yet have a friend relay your message when you're not around.

Re: Reaching the Prince 05/14/2004 11:24 AM CDT
>Yeah you're a moon mage, so I'm a Ranger, if I wanted to get a familiar sent I'd just find a War mage and ask them to do it for me.

People who send fams after the Prince and locate him are doing a disservice to him. Unless he has a Moon Mage or Warrior Mage with him, he has no idea whether or not he is being spied upon. How do you justify upsetting the Prince in this manner?

Re: Reaching the Prince 05/14/2004 11:53 AM CDT
I'd still consider it a more RP wise way of contacting him than sending an email. Listen justify how you can use things sent in an OOC manner in realms as a way to RP and I'll take your side. However, you won't be able to.

Re: Reaching the Prince 05/14/2004 12:01 PM CDT
Then we'll just agree to disagree. ; )

Re: Reaching the Prince 05/14/2004 12:21 PM CDT
>>>I'd still consider it a more RP wise way of contacting him than sending an email. Listen justify how you can use things sent in an OOC manner in realms as a way to RP and I'll take your side. However, you won't be able to.<<<

Just to clarify this for other people reading:

The Event GMs see sending EMails as a replacement for IG letters. They have encouraged us to send IC communication in that form to dr-events@play.net so it can get to the proper NPCs. Here's one post proving this stance: https://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=13&topic=23&message=126

Striderr's player is the only one I've seen complaining that this method is OOC. Don't let it confuse you if you want to write an IC letter; you not only can, you're encouraged. No need to justify it to anyone.

---Brett
Re: Reaching the Prince 05/14/2004 12:34 PM CDT
>>Just to clarify this for other people reading:
>>The Event GMs see sending EMails as a replacement for IG letters. They have encouraged us to send IC communication in that form to dr-events@play.net so it can get to the proper NPCs. Here's one post proving this stance: https://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=13&topic=23&message=126
>>Striderr's player is the only one I've seen complaining that this method is OOC. Don't let it confuse you if you want to write an IC letter; you not only can, you're encouraged. No need to justify it to anyone.

Here here. If this form of communication was unacceptable, very little would ever get done. Respecting personal space and privacy IG by not barging TC's or fams or the like demanding immediate realtime responses is a necessary aspect to the game. Letters can be done completely IC and responded to in kind...even between players.

-Laarth Frozenfyre
Ilithi Militia, Commander
http://www.ilithi.com
Fyearikloa'i Rensh'a Bakshiloa of Strategy
http://www.bakshiloa.com/libraryindex.html
Re: Reaching the Prince 05/14/2004 12:35 PM CDT

Well fine, however then I'll say I can send an IM to my friends giving them information on IG events and I'll just RP it that I'm sending them letters. Also, if I read information on a web page, I'll just RP it that I saw the information on a parchment on the floor. <Shrugs>

Re: Reaching the Prince 05/14/2004 12:50 PM CDT
>>>Well fine, however then I'll say I can send an IM to my friends giving them information on IG events and I'll just RP it that I'm sending them letters. Also, if I read information on a web page, I'll just RP it that I saw the information on a parchment on the floor. <Shrugs><<<<

Or, you could be a good sport, and just send IC mail to other players and NPCs in a reasonable span of time about reasonable things, make sure it's actually written as a letter, and react only to its response in kind.

Or you can ignore its use as a solid RP tool and just use it to justify shaky behavior that is only related to mail-sending in the most tenuous of fashions.

It's up to every roleplayer to develop their own sense of fairness and discernment between one kind of action and another. Rarely is an attempt to explain these differences to someone else successful; this thread is a case in point.

---Brett
Re: Reaching the Prince 05/14/2004 01:22 PM CDT
Hmm, so, Seihjin is on the ferry about to deliver a messege to the Prince that is his top priority. My connection goes bad, I can't get back IG that night. I have to go out of town the weekend which is 12 Elanthian days. This being Seihjin's top priority and his location after logging, please explain to me a reasonable IG way to handle that? Prince, I was on the ferry for 12 days riding back and forth and finally decided to come to the keep to tell you this very important information. That is more OOC in my opinion than Seihjin sending a letter in advance of him in case something happens to him, which is his strategy. I would be interested to know what should be done.

Quenal harshly says, "Raenilar will pay."

Vidumavi asks Quenal, "Does he owe you money?"

(Seihjin very slowly turns his head to stare at Vidumavi)

Vidumavi asks, "What?"
Re: Reaching the Prince 05/14/2004 01:31 PM CDT
Cheers, Brett! My letters have, of course, been IC. Anyone who can't understand that it's wrong to send a fam to/locate a royal during a war...well...just doesn't get it.

Re: Reaching the Prince 05/14/2004 01:33 PM CDT
>Yeah but what I'm saying is if you really wanted to you could easily reach them in an IC manner rather than resorting to an OOC method of sending an email.

How do you propose sending a familiar when the character is not online. Two nights ago, I had to tell the Baron about the planned attempt to save the Ferdahl. I went to the keep and was in the great hall for 3 hours before going to bed. I woke up, waited another 2 before he got on. I was able to speak with him, but with only like 4 hours to go before the attempt. I had also e-mailed hi because, lets face it; when they're not online, you can't reach them and tell them you want to talk.

~Ambassador Viptorian Arcinian

"Gor'Tog is not stupid. He is slow in mind, but he keep thinking until he get answer or he ask someone who knows. He always get answer somehow, or else answer not matter anyway."
~Aunt Olma's Tog Story