Nobility 11/21/2003 06:30 PM CST
This folder is provided to discuss the Noble born of Elanthia. Please remember that all policy covers this folder. Enjoy!
Re: Nobility 11/21/2003 06:41 PM CST
I was once a noble man. But I post for thee on the sake of having the second post in this folder. A hearty huzzah for everyone who understands what I'm talking about.

And off I go to beat myself up for posting like that. :P

Ruffles Scourge of the Seas
Re: Nobility 11/21/2003 06:41 PM CST
All hail Rayje!

<<<cheers>>>

"Everything I know I learned by killing smart people and eating their brains"
PC Nobility 11/25/2003 04:06 PM CST
There are some players that RP nobility fairly well. And not so well, in other cases <laughs wickedly>.

There is:

Rayth Blackmoore
Seihjin (At a loss for a last name, sorry). Hails from Aesry Surlaenis'a.
Trantris Esselyon (Therengia)
Millard Scofield (Reshalian, father is something of a trader baron?)

That is all that I can speak for, besides myself.

Meanne IS nobility, yes, but... it gets a little complicated. She is deposed nobility, recognized but not authorized. It's far too much information to explain here, so I'll just include a snippet of family lineage.

Lady Lorien Valanorhae-Ilistaire m. Baron Altris Ilistaire(Reshalia)=Artamia Ilistaire.
Seeress Artamia Ilistaire m. Carpenter Jobrith Noren=Aravella Ilistaire
Seeress Aravella Ilistaire m. one Commoner-Gone-Wizard Roland Firestein=Anissa Ilistaire (Meanne)

The story goes: Lady Lorien was accused of adultery by her jealous husband, cast out -- she had Altris' baby (Artamia), eventually Altris died, and the next in line was Artamia's cousin Verona (notorious -- notorious -- super corrupt, super indulgent, super scandalous). Altris' mother, a dowager named Degronne, seeks out Lorien and Artamia and asks them to sign an affidevit of legitamacy.

To make a long story short, Lorien (an oldish woman by then), tells Degronne to go to the devil, and the direct descendancy is severed. Verona takes over. Aravella suffers some interesting circumstances, Anissa is seperated from her at an early age and raised by a Riverhaven couple of means.

Anissa would like nothing more than to depose Verona and take back the direct descendancy, but Artamia is still alive and -- the two women's opinion on the matter clash somewhat.

*Firstly Anissa has been married to a Lord Brice Winters of Therengia, birthed his heir, Preston Winters, and then promptly divorced him in lieu of a faster, younger, hotter model. Hums. (Am I talking about cars or men -- bwha...)
*Then she has been married (briefly), to an Earl (I won't elaborate -- small holdings near Leth Deriel -- very small. A house. Some orchards. Title out of heritage and tradition, really, and not much else).

Being divorced from a 'noble' doesn't guarantee one a title, I'm afraid. So, from a deposed noble line and divorced from two seperate noble lines -- we have Anissa. Not quite a noble, but she does enjoy toying with the nobility. There IS a mysterious nobleman in her entourage who has been courting her hand -- so we shall see if she rises again :>. She sees the life of nobility as being a fun one, but also recognizes that certain behavior is requiem. And good behavior might put a damper on the fun she finds in life.

Wow that was long-winded! Ahem. Sorry. Continue et'al!

~/\/\eanne~

This is the dead land
This is cactus land
Here the stone images
Are raised, here they receive
The supplication of a dead man's hand
Under the twinkle of a fading star.

IM me @: BlackfireMagess
Re: Roleplaying Nobility 06/02/2004 03:05 PM CDT
Dragged my response from the Outcast War folder, over here.

Technically (I'm 99% sure I'm right on this) there is nothing to support claims to a noble title by PCs in DR, outside of personal RP and the history that you made up for your character. There is one undeniable example that comes to mind for most people when this topic comes up. Rayth is really the closest thing to PC nobility in the game (IMO?), but even Brett will tell you that it has nothing to do with official game mechanics recognition. It's all about the roleplay, consistency, and careful planning and maintenance of the character backstory.

Making up the history is tricky, tricky, tricky - because anything you claim for your character has to be tangible and supportable in game - which is difficult to do if you care about realism. It's not terribly realistic to claim a character is from the richest house in Leth Deriel. Someone is going to inevitably ask your character, "I'm sorry, which house is that?" If you make up an answer, and two months down the road some "other" richest house in Leth Deriel is revealed in a newly released library book - your character looks like a phony.

Two examples that I would discourage:

1) Claiming the character is a member, son or daughter or otherwise, of an existing legitimate and recognized noble house in DR, such as the Therengian Houses, that are NPC controlled. Bad form and bound to cause you trouble, at the very least. Likewise, making up a proclaimed legitimate House that doesn't exist is likely to cause trouble down the road. ((Meaning, you can't claim to be the 16th Official Elothean House. Things like House Hedeon are an example of PC houses that can be pulled off with some effort.))

2. Altering your character's established history for the purpose of taking a title of nobility. This applies to long-standing characters in particular, but anyone really. If you've established your character's backstory and been playing the character around that for any amount of time, it's generally not good form to suddenly make an uneducated farm girl into a Lady of the court, or a Moon Mage of Darkness into a Noble Lord with pristine morals.

There has been some chat between players OOC about ideas that could be submitted to improve the opportunities for roleplaying nobility in DR. Maybe one day! :)
Re: Roleplaying Nobility 06/02/2004 04:22 PM CDT
As I wait for Queen Morganae to declare me Lord Xelten.

Lieutenant Xelten Tyrsin
Tribunal Dragoons
Aesry Surlaenis'a

"If you can't convince them, confuse them." --Harry S. Truman

Fengreve says, "Grishnok pops up, cops an attitude and Dritz webs him, then promptly drops a tree on his face."
Re: Roleplaying Nobility 06/02/2004 04:31 PM CDT
An Aesry Lieutenant?

_________________________________________________________________________________________
Toulom says to Ibec, "You've unmarried since we last talked."

Ibec says, "wasn't married to begin with"

Toulom snickers to himself.

Toulom cheerfully exclaims, "Exactly!"
Re: Roleplaying Nobility 06/02/2004 04:53 PM CDT
>As I wait for Queen Morganae to declare me Lord Xelten.

As I wait for Queen Morganae to slay Krahas after he tells her what he knows of his past, because his father rebelled against her, and was exiled then.. yes, anyway. All good and dandy.

-The Nihilist
Re: Roleplaying Nobility 06/02/2004 05:12 PM CDT
<<As I wait for Queen Morganae to slay Krahas after he tells her what he knows of his past, because his father rebelled against her, and was exiled then.>>

Must have been a rare moment of mercy.

-Fierolan's player

Have you hugged your embittered Mountain Elf today?
Re: Roleplaying Nobility 06/02/2004 05:14 PM CDT
I messed up my elipse, fooey. It was more of a continuing type thing, and his father was killed -- no mercy. That's a story for another time, though, and such.

-The Nihilist
Re: Roleplaying Nobility 06/02/2004 05:19 PM CDT
>>An Aesry Lieutenant?

Exactly how does being a Lieutenant of Aesry Surlaenis'a make me less of a Mountain Elf? Pardon me if I mistakenly infer your comment to be an insult, but if it were meant as one, then perhaps you should instead feel lesser yourself since you do not understand the idea of a reasonably intricate background.

Lieutenant Xelten Tyrsin
Tribunal Dragoons
Aesry Surlaenis'a

"If you can't convince them, confuse them." --Harry S. Truman

Fengreve says, "Grishnok pops up, cops an attitude and Dritz webs him, then promptly drops a tree on his face."
Re: Roleplaying Nobility 06/02/2004 07:35 PM CDT
<<Exactly how does being a Lieutenant of Aesry Surlaenis'a make me less of a Mountain Elf? Pardon me if I mistakenly infer your comment to be an insult, but if it were meant as one, then perhaps you should instead feel lesser yourself since you do not understand the idea of a reasonably intricate background.
>>

Don't be so sensitive, its really not good for your health.

Perhaps you should point out where I stated your -character- (lets remember your not an elf please) was less a Mountain Elf? Its a matter of your character having an allegiance to another "nation" so to speak. Let me spell it out for you, he is pledged to military service in Qi. Why ever would the self-serving queen take someone who serves another province's military into her court? The queen I see IG would not likely want anything to do with someone in her court who can't make up his mind just whom he serves, ya know?

Toulom says to Ibec, "You've unmarried since we last talked."

Ibec says, "wasn't married to begin with"

Toulom snickers to himself.

Toulom cheerfully exclaims, "Exactly!"
Zoluren Royalty, Nobility and Houses 01/08/2006 07:16 AM CST
This might be a dead thread...

But it's piqued my interest.

Having read through the Zoluren Royal heritage (which is like trying to follow the Baldwins, only less B Movies) I'm curious to know a couple of things.

Firstly, I'm aware of the multitude of ties to other provinces, ie: the apparant heir of Zoluren being tie to M'Riss... but something I seldom see is any mention of those supposed "once powerful houses" of nobles in Zoluren.

I know quite a few nobles from Random provinces.. you got Eluresturi (sp?), Natashya, Anbreith (who is dead now?????), and the occaisional reference to a vague NPC who isn't actually RP'd...

We also had that one fellow uhh.. drat.. what was his name.. the T guy who was a PC noble.. Uhh.. became an Ambassador then a Commander... Vidumavi was his jester. I'm sure anyone reading this will remember.

Anyhoo.. where are the other Noble Houses, specifically Zoluren's.. and who is in them?

Secondly....

And this has bugged the heck out of me for a very long time..

What is the actual Zoluren protocol on the following:

Titles of Nobility...

Your Majesty for the Prince, I got that one. He told me personally with no equivocations that he is to be referred to as one of the following ONLY:

Your Majesty or Prince

and that anything else was incorrect. Though, from most others he doesn't seem to mind "My Lord" or "Your Highness"

Now.. what about people like.. The Royal Steward?

Like I said.. I'm looking for the EXACT protocol here. I've been calling her "High Lady" for years and people often look at me funny. She's even glanced back at them and shrugged.. but it's never really been in HER idiom to correct me.

Lord and Lady. Obvious titles of Nobility. Who gets them? Who doesn't?

People call each other M'lord and guys constantly call peasant women M'lady all the time. What's the actual protocol?

It's been my thinking that those who are not of noble heritage should be properly referred to as "Master/Mistress" or "Mister/Madame" but I'm pretty sure at least one of those is in the wrong context.

Sir.. that's another one that gets me. In most fantasy/medievil archetypes Sir denotes a specific noble, such as a Knight. It's also a Paladin title in DR though, which is semi confusing.

To summarize.. protocol is important to my character, but there's no true precedence on how I should introduce my peasant friends to specific types of nobles.

~Cay
Re: Zoluren Royalty, Nobility and Houses 01/08/2006 09:17 AM CST
Just a thought: Given the number of races, cultures, and provinces involved, you might have different 'correct' terms of address in different places. Are there any etiquette books out there?

Mists and Magic, Ocean Breazes, Deep Rivers Under the Sea, Trails Between the Stars: Where nothing is as it seems.
Re: Zoluren Royalty, Nobility and Houses 01/08/2006 01:02 PM CST
Vorclaf has never minded being called Sire either.

I have to admit I've always been confused on why there aren't kings. Zoluren is certainly bigger than a pricipality, and one would expect the Baron to be at least Duke in charge of a Duchy.

The shipment clerk finds everything in order with your merchandise. "You're not supposed to let a RANGER lead you here!" he says
Re: Zoluren Royalty, Nobility and Houses 01/08/2006 01:26 PM CST
I think it's just because of the way the provinces were divided after the fall of the Empire?

Marksman Ahmir Nam'al

"That is why I have chosen DR and stayed with it for 2-6 years. Time is confusing to me." -Aiwix

PS: Oh my god they're called IMs. They're not pigeons. Nor are they pidgeons or pidgions or pidgins.
Re: Zoluren Royalty, Nobility and Houses 01/08/2006 03:38 PM CST
The correct way to address the Prince of Zoluren would be:

Your Majesty
Prince Vorclaf
My Prince

Sire and My Liege are likely appropriate for very few specific circumstances, which most of us do not fall into.

Once the formal salutation is made and a conversation ensues, one might refer to him as Sir or perhaps Prince. "My Lord" is likely not appropriate for the monarch from anyone but household staff.

All that said, Prince Vorclaf is very accomodating about how people address him. When they do it incorrectly, he does nothing, unless something rude or threatening is involved.

"Highness" is a reference to an heir, not to the monarch. It gets confusing because most of our frame of reference to such things is from a Monarchy which a Queen/King head. But Zoluren is a Principality. The ruler is a Prince/Princess, not a King or Queen; certainly not an emperor.

Now...as to the Zoluren Nobles.

They most certainly do still exist. There are those few which have been 'once powerful' but are no longer -- but there are still Zoluren Nobles.

For instance, I believe the Sidrow family of Leth Deriel are Nobles. The Regent Mayor (wherever he is...) is, as well.

I have no idea who the others may be, either; but when it becomes important, no doubt we will learn more of it all.

~Dreamheart
Proprietress, The Wren's Nest Tavern
http://dr.bookofheroes.com

DR Announcements & news via RSS/XML:
http://dr.bookofheroes.com/newsfeeds.html
Re: Zoluren Royalty, Nobility and Houses 01/08/2006 03:45 PM CST
>> I have to admit I've always been confused on why there aren't kings.

This is a direct result of the fall of the Empire and the rise(and fall) of the Dragon Priests. As part of the response to both regimes, the Provinces wanted their people to be assured that no power(s) could be so absolutely gathered again and hopefully avoid the corruption and abuse of said power.

The Baron and the Prince certainly rule with every bit of power a King would, but they have held to the customs started centuries ago. But no matter what they are called, they are the Monarchs. Illithi and the Islands are somewhat different, but those that rule, rule.

~Dreamheart
Proprietress, The Wren's Nest Tavern
http://dr.bookofheroes.com

DR Announcements & news via RSS/XML:
http://dr.bookofheroes.com/newsfeeds.html
Re: Zoluren Royalty, Nobility and Houses 01/08/2006 04:05 PM CST
Your Excelency has also been used to the Prince.

Shakahn

"When childhood dies, its corpses are called adults and they enter society, one of the politer names of hell. That is why we dread children, even if we love them, they show us the state of our decay."

-- Brian Aldiss