Webbing portals makes the game unplayable 10/27/2019 01:25 AM CDT
I just got stuck in prereni, every exit is webbed and I am a barbarian without a way to start a fire. The only reason I know I need to start a fire is because I had to go to elanthipedia. This event is not fun. How long will this be going on? I am considering stopping my subscriptions until it goes away.
Re: Webbing portals makes the game unplayable 10/27/2019 10:09 AM CDT

See my post under HE. Preventing you from leaving a hunting area is using game mechanics against a PC, especially if you were training and needed to leave to get healed.
Re: Webbing portals makes the game unplayable 10/27/2019 11:26 AM CDT
Going to be just like the Outcast War it seems. Even if you don't want to be part of an event, too bad. To avoid it, don't play? Not a fun option.
Re: Webbing portals makes the game unplayable 10/27/2019 11:54 AM CDT

If they do this again, the webs should have a vitality. They lose vitality every time someone gets tangled up in them, up to something like 10 tangles and they disappear. It's still annoying, inefficient, and less effective than figuring out the puzzle, but it's not so punitive that the right response is to go to discord and ask for help or log out.
Re: Webbing portals makes the game unplayable 10/27/2019 11:29 PM CDT
After some back and forth I've decided to present some numbers. I'm presenting them as-is with no justification and only a tiny bit of context, since my goal here is to share some of the data we're seeing.

At the time I am writing this, 1,185 broodlings have been killed.

Webbings are a little harder to put a pithy number on. There's some nuance that's going to get lost here, but for the sake of that transparency: since the event began, ~270 portals have been webbed per day.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Webbing portals makes the game unplayable 10/28/2019 12:20 AM CDT
<<After some back and forth I've decided to present some numbers. I'm presenting them as-is with no justification and only a tiny bit of context, since my goal here is to share some of the data we're seeing.>>

Thanks, I guess? I mean I'm not really sure what the point here is to present numbers without context and with no justification.

Numbers of webbed portals and broodlings killed don't mean anything. The complaints have nothing to do with numbers. The complaints are about the overall design of this event (or lack thereof).

Like, why would you lean your web removal system on the super buggy and fragmented fire/light mechanics? That's only ever going to lead to frustrated players who are performing correct actions but because some torches are coded all special they will not work. It's not a secret those systems are in the state they are and I'm sure you guys didn't have time to fully test and fix all of that so why push it out anyway? Not to mention your failure messaging gives zero context to what you did wrong. Did you use the wrong tool or the wrong verb? These are not new problems.

The spidernappings happening without any respect to location is very immersion breaking. It is extremely disruptive to gameplay for what reason again? I don't find being pulled to my death at random very engaging. Why were boundaries not created for where the system could grab you?

This is the lead in to your flagship yearly event. This should be a fun and enjoyable thing for those who want to participate. Not something that's keeping me and others from logging in to avoid.

I'm not sure which is worse that you knew about many of these issues and pushed it out anyway or that you were blind to what you were doing. I get the "ooh we have a cool event idea" and all, but if you can't pull it off then you don't do it and scale back to what you have the time to do correctly. We shouldn't be beta testing something this disruptive in the live game. And yeah not having time or resources to fix the wacked out fire/light systems means you are not doing it correctly.

But, you guys have some numbers. Numbers that mean something...I guess.

~Nexty
Re: Webbing portals makes the game unplayable 10/28/2019 06:17 AM CDT

Chaos, death, spiders. Sounds like its the hollow eve time of year again.

The event changes how we play and I don't think its a bad thing. Its a temporary thing. Its a challenging thing. I don't think its a failure.

I've been keeping my weapon and armors locked for the past couple days. I've seen a lot of empaths and experienced cold hand of death.

Overall, I like it. I'm logging in more to get tasks done and take on the spiders. The webs can be annoying, but I like the idea. Maybe we could get a vendor handing out torches that we know work?
Re: Webbing portals makes the game unplayable 10/28/2019 10:15 AM CDT
Same.

I haven't been able to play much lately and I thought I'd log in my Trader to work on her Trading (via outfitting) skills in the tailoring guild for a while this past Saturday (10/26)- I heard about the event but hadn't heard anything about what I would face upon logging in. Hyper-Arachnophobia as I am I thought to myself - its fine, I'll avoid those areas. I'm so little anyhow I don't need to be a burden on our clerics or empaths.

So I log in, hop into an empty workroom to start knitting, and the door gets webbed over without my knowledge. I couldn't get out - absolutely no means to escape, the web didn't just go away after a bit, I had no weapon on me - why would I? I'm knitting. I'm only 12th level so my access to spells is severely limited, I have no torch, no tools - again why would I? The web gave me no indication of how to defeat it, it did not deteriorate even after waiting 30 minutes to see if it would. There I was, stuck with a workorder that I couldn't turn in and no means of escape. Only by the grace of some kind players that I had to contact outside of the game interface, did I finally get out - and after turning my workorder in and realizing that most of the workrooms were webbed over and I couldn't continue working that skill...and then hearing others say they were pulled into tunnels they couldn't escape - I quit out...and I see no real reason to return until this event is over.

My little trader doesn't always carry around armor, its heavy. She doesn't always have a weapon on her if she's in the town proper, especially if she's just working on learning non-combat skills. By what means exactly, in game, would I have been able to learn what I needed to have/do in order to free myself from these webs? What mechanic was in place to let me puzzle that out for myself, and upon perhaps learning what tools I needed to aid myself, how would I have survived running around and collecting those items, when everywhere I went was webbed over, including the vaults (in case there was something in there I could use) and I faced the real possibility that unarmored and unarmed, I would be unlucky enough to be dragged into a tunnel to face certain death no matter how diligently I were to try to avoid those circumstances?

This is absolutely the worst.

We aren't all the same, we all aren't high level, we don't all want to involve ourselves in these situations.
So, if I want to avoid the event - I'm forced to stay logged out? That shouldn't be the solution.

So terribly disappointed.
Re: Webbing portals makes the game unplayable 10/29/2019 07:07 AM CDT
Gnome moonmage here and I thought my utility would prevail but I was wrong....don't have Lay Ward (I hate wasting spell slots). Can't complete kill quests because the spiders will kill me if I hunt solo. Was suggested I join up with a paladin and three empaths, just to get four webbing (unless grouping is intended)? Seems excessive and at my hours of play there's not a ton of people about which is also problematic.

Back to astrology and crafting until this event is over.

Gopburpop
Re: Webbing portals makes the game unplayable 10/29/2019 04:33 PM CDT
I acknowledge the rollout of this event has not been perfect, particularly spiders grabbing people in homes and certain portal webbings. However here's some advice if you would like to participate (or avoid):

- A good Bard makes a great companion against the broodlings because we can calm a bunch at once, which ideally brings you down to fighting 1 at a time.

- If you get dragged down unexpectedly, try to retreat quickly and GO HOLE to get back out.

- Most webs can be burned or removed with light. To burn them all you need is a lighter or, I believe, flint + weapon + something that burns (like peat or a branch). I know burning peat works but haven't tested how to light with flint yet. For light, you can use gaethzen, starglass, or a number of spells. You might also try a lantern if you're an NMU. The third web type just requires tinker's tools.

- If you're stuck somewhere, gweth for help. You can get a WM to deliver the materials to remove your web.

- The First Land Herald published a bunch of info about these spiders, their webs, and the event. You can find these newsletters in game at most docks (GET NEWSLETTER if you see a news stand).

- Try Discord if you must, get help there! Reach out.

Sorry if you're not having fun. If you see me online feel free to ask me for help.

- Navesi

The First Land Herald -- Zoluren's newspaper. https://elanthipedia.play.net/The_First_Land_Herald
Re: Webbing portals makes the game unplayable 10/31/2019 07:25 AM CDT

The 270 portals per day number is crap. I deal with multiple, multiple portals every time I log in. The NPC healer is constantly getting webbed, the bank, the city gates. I do this 5 or 6 times before I get sick of it and just log out. My hunting ground gets webbed every time I go to it.

This isn't fun. This is just GMs interrupting people's game. It's particularly blatant when the bosses are around. They go out of their way to troll people trying to get around.
Re: Webbing portals makes the game unplayable 11/03/2019 08:39 PM CST

I saw these complaints earlier today and was in agreement, until I got some tinker tools, made sure to have a light source, and foraged some peat to set on fire with my peat and edged weapon... The webs are super easy to destroy! Come on. They don't even have a roundtime. It is admittedly ridiculous to make it so that people get stuck in rooms (I saw someone saying logging out and back in might help?), but other than that there isn't anything wrong with the webs. And if you get locked in a room once and then just refuse to get some tinker tools, gaethzen, peat, flint, and a knife, well I just don't know what to tell you. It's sort of on you then if it keeps happening. And before you fuss that you shouldn't have to carry these things -- it's a game and there's an event and you're supposed to be role-playing and interacting with other players...

And use your gweth to ask for help... like you really would if dragonrealms was real life.
Re: Webbing portals makes the game unplayable 11/03/2019 08:40 PM CST

oops, that was supposed to be set peat on fire with flint and an edged weapon.
Re: Webbing portals makes the game unplayable 11/04/2019 04:46 AM CST
Part of the problem is that not every torch or light source works for what you would think it should. I was listening on Discord and about half the torches from in-game stores didn't work. You can forage up a branch and light it, but it doesn't work as a source of fire or light. I have the HE gift from 2013 which works as a light. It didn't work on the webs that required a light source. Barbarians and Thieves can't use gaethzen, and it's not exactly common.

I still remember when we had an Escaping skill that was almost exclusively used for getting out of webs. Most of it's function got rolled into Athletics, but you can't use Athletics to try to get past these webs. So if you're missing the widget that gets through your specific type of web, or your widget doesn't work because fire and light are two really wonky systems, you're stuck.
Re: Webbing portals makes the game unplayable 11/04/2019 09:46 AM CST
You forget that there isn't ready access to some of those things. Not all guilds can use gaezthen. Peat can't be found everywhere, branches aren't available everywhere. Gweths can be expensive or hard to get.

It's a dumb mechanic that only frustrates people. I'm not sure why you feel the need to defend it. We don't want or need mechanics like this in the game. I'm sorry someone wasted their time coding this, but no one enjoys it. At best some folks who have a convenient set up, the right items, or the right guild. It just widens the schism between the haves and have nots.

I am saying this as someone who plays a cleric who can use spell or my weapons almost all the webs I see. It's easy for me. And it still annoys the crap out of me every time I deal with it. Imagine a barbarian who has to find the right torch (is it fire or light?), light it with flint (which is consumable), and then burn the web. While in combat, possibly with things that are dangerous to them. Does that sound fun to you? Do you want more of that in the future?

Come on.
Re: Webbing portals makes the game unplayable 11/04/2019 12:36 PM CST
Uh, hold onto that "we" stuff, not all of us are complaining or find the webs an issue. So dont lump us all into we, just as I wont say we all are enjoying the events.
I was lucky enough that when one of my novices got webbed into a room where the web only showed up on the inside but not the outside, a wm fami took them the tools they needed to get out. Yes, not everywhere can you do that, some rooms are fami banned, sometimes folks dont have gweths, some wont use outside things like discord.

But some of us are trying to roll with the punches, even when my main got dragged down, poisoned, attacked & died in less than a minute because I had looked away from the screen. She wasnt even on a task but I made a mistake in letting her stand near the strand burrow. I didnt yell about it, get mad at the gms, only person I got mad at was myself. Got her dragged & raised even after she killed the path working on her. Then again I remember the gorbesh war, the sorrow war, the red sash event, the time most everyone inside crossings got catapulted over the walls as dead bodies.

Its a game, if its making (general) you so upset then maybe its time to walk away for a bit. (shrugs)

CASTERFASTER " We don't want or need mechanics like this in the game."
Re: Webbing portals makes the game unplayable 11/04/2019 01:11 PM CST

"Then again I remember the gorbesh war, the sorrow war, the red sash event, the time most everyone inside crossings got catapulted over the walls as dead bodies."

Exactly. The webs are nothing compared to the inconveniences of those events!

I think the suggestion to have the webs break apart if someone repeatedly walks into one is a really good idea and should be implemented asap so people don't get stuck.

Having said that, in the game there is a 'crisis' going on and so when you become aware of it you have to deal with it and that means finding supplies to be able to escape. I did and I'm having fun now with the webs (and yes, I did get stuck in a room with one).
Re: Webbing portals makes the game unplayable 11/07/2019 05:03 AM CST
while yes, it's just a game, i don't know why you feel like you were lumped into a group, you were most likely not lumped into. Plenty of US are frustrated by the events, if that isn't you, then you're not 'one of us' *insert meme here*. :)

Anyways, if you don't understand, then just accept you don't understand and ask questions. We all play the game differently, we all respond differently, and we all think differently. To use my daughter as an example. She's autistic, so the way she thinks and acts is very different from how i grew up. She's at school, and something as simple as messing up her work causes her to throw a tantrum. It doesn't really help me to sit there saying "i don't know how that could be upsetting" every time it happens. What i do know, is it happened, and in my case i had no choice but to figure out why. You don't have to figure out why we feel the way we do, but we've explained how we feel about it.

So maybe that helps explain it, who knows, but the webs can be too frustrating when you randomly get stuck someplace. Some people may get stuck hours, others minutes, many seconds, and maybe some just log out and come back days later. Hell, my Fallen character can't kill some enemies that are hanging around and keeps dying, so i haven't logged them back in since the event started. Most events i don't have that problem, but the creatures stuck around for like 2-3 days and i just got fed up with getting stuck where i have no chance of killing them or saving myself. There's other options, but i made my decision.
Re: Webbing portals makes the game unplayable 11/07/2019 11:36 AM CST
> while yes, it's just a game, i don't know why you feel like you were lumped into a group, you were most likely not lumped
> into.

I think perhaps they were offering a response to this:

"It's a dumb mechanic that only frustrates people. I'm not sure why you feel the need to defend it. We don't want or need mechanics like this in the game. I'm sorry someone wasted their time coding this, but no one enjoys it."

There are a lot of events and situations I'm useless at, because I play a particular kind of empath - the kind who doesn't do much combat, but who pretty much carries the contents of a vault and a half on her person at all times, and it's all useful in some circumstance. And I'm having a ball. So I also wanted to say that the above statement, that "no one enjoys", this kind of event or mechanics like this, and that it was a waste of coder time, isn't accurate. There are plenty of folks who are enjoying themselves, and I hope whomever spent time developing this event also hears the positive feedback in amongst all the negative.

Please note, though, that me enjoying myself doesn't mean I don't recognize or acknowledge that there are also plenty of people who aren't having fun, and that's a perfect valid opinion. Just offering my perspective. :)

~Aislynn
Re: Webbing portals makes the game unplayable 11/08/2019 07:20 AM CST

Is it permitted to ask how much longer this "event" will be going on seeing as how I'm locked in a hunting area and not able to get out?

You also see a split roadblock covered in gleaming metallic webbing fixed with copper mechanisms.
Re: Webbing portals makes the game unplayable 11/08/2019 03:58 PM CST

I usually buy into these events but this webbing portal stuff is beyond frustrating. I won't be spending money on this event specifically because of this.
Re: Webbing portals (changes to the game environment). 11/09/2019 06:17 AM CST
I like the flavor the webs add to the game. I'd like to see more events like this.

~Hunter Hanryu
>Everything Rangers have is just a lame version of something cool.~Morkim
Re: Webbing portals (changes to the game environment). 11/09/2019 01:12 PM CST
For what it's worth, I enjoy it too. It's really made the world feel changed, like something is happening. I'm sorry that it's detracted from the game for some, but for me the challenge has been fun and I've found it easy enough to deal with all the types.

- Navesi

The First Land Herald -- Zoluren's newspaper. https://elanthipedia.play.net/The_First_Land_Herald
Re: Webbing portals (changes to the game environment). 11/09/2019 01:18 PM CST
Good idea but they REALLY needed a fallback on the webs such as after 3-4 minutes you can cut them with a weapon. Putting out a vendor that sold the necessary items to deal with the webs cheaply would also have worked well but the "this items works but that item doesn't and the same thing bought in the next town over won't work either" part really sucks.
Re: Webbing portals (changes to the game environment). 11/09/2019 06:19 PM CST

Again I would like to ask when this nonsense ends?
Re: Webbing portals (changes to the game environment). 11/09/2019 10:29 PM CST
I am going to add my two cents from Plat.. i don't mind the webs provided that i can remove them without much of a hassle. I thought that weapons were supposed to be able to remove them but using a thrusting or slicing weapon in my case did not do so. At this point, these webs should be able to be removed by trying multiple times to walk into them, honestly, nothing else should be needed. Also.. the lack of any sort of acknowledgment about how jacked up this has been from GMs has been deafening. People being stuck in places and having to rely on rescues just to exit an area is unacceptable.

Damian, a voice from the distant and long-forgotten past.