Necromancer Gweth SO 10/14/2019 05:05 PM CDT
I'm posting this here instead of the necro folder because I don't play a necromancer and the question/suggestion I have is more targeted towards larger events/RP than it is general necro concern.

Is there any way to rethink/reconsider the SO penalties for gwething *outside a common justice zone* for necromancers? There are very, very few RP catalysts happening in the game right now. There are fewer GM events than before I left and essentially no GMPC bad guys to chase as villains. On top of that, the biggest RP event catalyst in recent memory (Maelshyve) deeply involves necromancers and the various faction conflicts among them etc.

Against that background, we have a punitive system that punishes the necromancers (again, top roles in the recent catalyst event) from gwething.

I'm a huge fan of fair and realistic repercussions in the game, from sorcery to necromancy to anything else, but I would suggest that the penalties for necromancers gwething be ramped down, at least from non-justice zones.

Hope not ever to see Heaven. I have come to lead you to the
other shore; into eternal darkness; into fire and into ice. —Inferno
Re: Necromancer Gweth SO 10/14/2019 06:04 PM CDT
>>I'm a huge fan of fair and realistic repercussions in the game, from sorcery to necromancy to anything else, but I would suggest that the penalties for necromancers gwething be ramped down, at least from non-justice zones.

What would you like to see it ramped down to?

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Necromancer Gweth SO 10/14/2019 06:38 PM CDT
I don’t know the metrics, but my understanding is that necromancers receive SO even when gwething from outside justice areas. Would it be possible to turn that down or at least minimize it a point to prevent overt necro spam? Maybe something like first two gweths in 10 minutes are free but the third adds SO? I don’t know where that line is exactly but I know there’s several good RPing necros that stay off the gweth almost entirely whereas before (last couple months), they were more active in stirring the, erm, marketplace of ideas.

Re: Necromancer Gweth SO 10/14/2019 06:44 PM CDT
I think the problem that he is seeing and I'm not saying it's a problem it's part of being a necromancer. I totally understand getting more SO for gwething inside a justice area or even in my house. I totally understand that, but in a non justice area or I will use today as an example we had quite the gweth rp going on, I was in Shard in non justice areas and was getting the you're getting more heat for gwething but I wanted to continue the rp because it is so few and far to see. I was then in my house, totally understandable, that's a justice area somehow because houses are weird. I then used JJ and went to Basalt Isle and when I gwethed I got the messaging. I understand I have SO from a rp we did in Theren where we sacrificed someone, but in every province including the one that Basalt Isle is part of, maybe turn it back a bit so that non justice area's don't count against us, it's not as if I stay out of justice area's often, my hounding last week proved that.

Z

I don't feel that I need to explain my art to you, Warren.
Re: Necromancer Gweth SO 10/14/2019 06:52 PM CDT
It works like this:

If a Necromancer with "suspicious" SO (a breakpoint between 0 SO and denied services) or higher broadcasts on a "public" channel (for example, not a private or guild channel), we take a tiny fraction of their SO and add it on top of their existing SO. This intentionally means that a Necromancer with minimal to no SO does not get SO. There is a message confirmation to the Necromancer every time they get SO in this manner, so there's no hidden gotcha mechanic here.

There is currently no immunity period for rapid-fire comments.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Necromancer Gweth SO 10/14/2019 07:09 PM CDT
For clarity sake, we break SO into broad ranges and most effects of the system only care what stage you're in, rather than precisely what your SO number is. So, in this case, a suspicious Necromancer who gets a little more SO isn't functionally a little more screwed, unless that was enough drips into the bucket to push them up to the next range.

-Armifer
Re: Necromancer Gweth SO 10/14/2019 07:23 PM CDT
Appreciate the clarification on the mechanics, Armifer. That's always welcome.

Speaking for myself, I tend to go completely radio silent when I hit "suspicious" levels. It's a shame sometimes, but I take that as the cost of doing business.

Quasi-related, my biggest qualm with the SO system is something that Zehira touched on: odd areas, and how the interact with the larger system. Every single time I've been surprised by an SO problem has been because of these extra-provincial areas. Be it houses, festival grounds, the Soul of Maelshyve, whatever...

Necromancers, by our nature, occasional do things that the general populace isn't going to like. I have no issues accepting the consequence of my actions. My ask, generally, is to make any sorts of SO notifications crystal clear about WHERE the problem is.

- I
Re: Necromancer Gweth SO 10/14/2019 07:24 PM CDT
I think it would be very strange if gwething took the necromancer's location into consideration beyond the province that they're in. It doesn't matter if you are outside of a justice zone; the people you are outraging with your thoughts are in the cities/towns.

If people in Therengia are getting mad at you for gwething in Zoluren, then I'd concede that maybe that should be changed. Then again, you could just stick to the local channel in Zoluren. I don't know if it works that way, though.
Re: Necromancer Gweth SO 10/14/2019 07:35 PM CDT
Odd areas are that yes, just odd. I can absolutely tell you that for a rp we did in Therengia, every single province is mad at us right now including all the islands and I am assuming Hib and Boar Clan, in saying every province, I haven't actually checked there. So the fact that we have SO and max SO at that, my SO reducing items have not even lowered it to suspicious in provinces I'd not even been in, nor had any SO in is...interesting.

Z

I don't feel that I need to explain my art to you, Warren.
Re: Necromancer Gweth SO 10/14/2019 07:57 PM CDT
That’s helpful to understand, Armifer, thank you.

Re: Necromancer Gweth SO 10/14/2019 08:02 PM CDT
>>Every single time I've been surprised by an SO problem has been because of these extra-provincial areas. Be it houses, festival grounds, the Soul of Maelshyve, whatever...

For unfortunate reasons, it can be harder than you might imagine to determine where an extra-provincial area should be flagged as. The way the system reads the available data it goes "When in doubt, it's Zoluren."

There is absolutely room for improvement, but due to how we store "zones" and how we figure which goes into what province my feeling is it's way more work than most readers would expect.

-Armifer
Re: Necromancer Gweth SO 10/14/2019 08:27 PM CDT
>>There is absolutely room for improvement, but due to how we store "zones" and how we figure which goes into what province my feeling is it's way more work than most readers would expect.

I can imagine, given the sheer number of segments and individual rooms.

Clarity on the messaging would be my main ask. System wants to ding me, fine. I just want to know where I got into trouble, because it's often unintuitive on the player side.

- I
Re: Necromancer Gweth SO 10/14/2019 10:31 PM CDT
>>System wants to ding me, fine. I just want to know where I got into trouble, because it's often unintuitive on the player side.

Reasonable request, I'll try to remember to circle back to it once a few other things are off my plate.

-Armifer
Re: Necromancer Gweth SO 10/15/2019 06:12 PM CDT
While not directly as requested, I was able to fairly quickly put out an update to JUSTICE so that it now displays both which range of SO you're in and lists it for all provinces. You'll still need to be conscious enough of when you gain SO to check it, but the tool is now out there.

Figure this was better than a much more elaborate rewrite of how / when we message SO that might not have ever happened. Let me know if there's any concerns about it.

-Armifer
Re: Necromancer Gweth SO 10/15/2019 06:53 PM CDT
Thank you, Armifer! The extra info added to JUSTICE ought to help demystify Social Outage/Corruption a bit, which is a good thing for everybody, not just necromancers.
Re: Necromancer Gweth SO 10/15/2019 11:31 PM CDT
>>While not directly as requested, I was able to fairly quickly put out an update to JUSTICE so that it now displays both which range of SO you're in and lists it for all provinces. You'll still need to be conscious enough of when you gain SO to check it, but the tool is now out there.

Addresses my concern. It's also nice not having to schlep around to get a lay of the land.

Appreciate the (quick) update!

- I