Asketi's Respect 12/03/2016 08:57 AM CST
A pale stillness engulfs the boreal night, as if Damaris himself has robbed the wind of its breath. In the light of all three moons, the Vela'tohr Valley twists against the great looming shadow of Asketi's mount like a nest of adders. Cadaverous bushes huddled alongside the Pilgrimage Trail raise their frost-rimed limbs skyward in grotesque postures of mourning. The imposing stone walls of a nearby compound shelter rows of torches, their flickering light providing a wan illusion of warmth and safety. In the center of the courtyard, two robed figures stand beside the small statue of a raccoon.

The taller of the two, a white-scaled S'Kra Mur, pats a small burlap bundle at her side. "I will see that they are offered. Thank you, once again, for your hospitality."

The other, an elderly Elothean with a marked stoop, offers a thin smile. "Of course, Chosen of Drogor. For the faithful and diligent, our doors are always open."

The S'Kra Mur gives her head the slightest of nods, though her good eye remains fixed upon the old monk. "I must return to the East. For a time. The forests are thick with rot and undeath, and must be cleansed. There are other preparations to be made for the ceremony."

"You will join us for prayer before your climb?" asks the Elothean.

"Yes."

Both cowled heads turn to the mountain in the distance.

The S'Kra Mur breaks the silence. "Did you hear the hissing last night?"

"Mm. Felt it, as well. Our Brothers and Sisters reported an inexplicable chill down the back of their necks, though all were inside."

A distinctive shiver passes through both Clerics at once, like a frigid gust rippling through sheaves of grain.

The blood drains from the Elothean's face. He clutches his prayer beads, his eyes suddenly appearing sunken and abyssal in the meager candlelight. "May the Pitiless One be pleased," he intones.

He does not notice the smile that distorts the S'Kra Mur's features.

"May She be sated," she chirrs.

Shosandu Eve Observance
Where: High Altar of Asketi's Mount
When: Thursday, December 8th at around 7 pm EST
Re: Asketi's Respect 12/13/2016 05:39 AM CST
A log of the event, with a few little additions detailing what happened before and after. Thanks to everybody who showed up.

http://pastebin.com/fkmwwZVa
Re: Asketi's Respect 12/13/2016 08:00 AM CST

It's weird how its the same five people in the majority of these event logs! Is there a chat room or a twitter feed I can join so I too can participate?

Send me an invite! Clue a fella in!
Re: Asketi's Respect 12/13/2016 08:25 AM CST
>>Send me an invite! Clue a fella in!

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Events%20and%20Happenings%20in%20DragonRealms'%20Elanthia/Forfedhdar%20Events/view/525
Re: Asketi's Respect 12/13/2016 08:53 AM CST
I understand the frustration in seeing the same people at events. It sucks being on the outside of things, and I've been upset a few times when I wanted to be around for something and no one told me it was happening, even when I'm logged in already. I wouldn't know about... really anything that's going on if not for the trickle of information from player to player. But I don't really read the forums much, or check out the calender lately...

However, Whiteburn did list the time in her first post.

And in game, after Whiteburn died... which might have been lost amidst all the invasion chatter:

[General] [Starrprancer] "Anyone know where Whiteburn was at?"
[General] You think, "She is here at the Temple of the North Wind. With... a banshee."
[General] You think, "I have a moonbeam outside the Crossing bank, if any would like to come..."
[General] [Whiteburn] "There are travel accomodations for those who would join us atop Asketi's Mount. the Mistress of the North Wind will be honored!"
[General] [Starrprancer] "come join us atop the Mount as we hold a service for Asketi. There will be a moongate available just outside the pond in Town Green North for those who wish to attend."

There was some trouble with the moongate, as Uritel kept trying to Unbend it and I didn't feel like giving him the location to try next. No one else really seemed that interested in coming anyway, but those that did communicated with us to arrange rifts and moongates.

If we had remembered the date of the Elanthian new years in time, we would have surely sent an email to events to put it on the calender. We remembered about a week before it was due, which is not enough time. Whiteburn did also tweet it, and Isharon retweeted it. So, I would certainly suggest following at least Isharon, as she tweets events more frequently and is good about supporting other people's.

Really, twitter's your best bet for getting more involved in events, spur of the moment gatherings like this. It's also where the GMs tweet about alterations, and other things they do, stuff that doesn't get onto the main page. For player-led things, all you can do is follow as many people that do events and try to make time, if their event fits your character or your interests.
Re: Asketi's Respect 12/13/2016 11:47 AM CST
>It's weird how its the same five people in the majority of these event logs! Is there a chat room or a twitter feed I can join so I too can participate? Send me an invite! Clue a fella in!

If you were logged in and listening to the gweths I don't see how you could have failed to know this was going on. Moongates and rifts were available for anyone interested but not able or unwilling to travel on foot. Whiteburn gave gweth invitations at least half an hour (or an hour?) before her thing went down. Ingame cues were going on for days before Asketi's Ride.

If you weren't logged in follow Isharon on twitter, every GM who tweets and anyone Isharon retweets.

This page doesn't list every roleplayer obviously but it does list people who give you someone to 'cold call' for clues into what's going on.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Roleplaying_resources_and_community_connections

Check the Moon Mage vision list and Cleric vision list pages on elanthipedia for clues on developing events.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Moon_Mage_vision_list

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Cleric_vision_list

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Main_Page
Re: Asketi's Respect 12/13/2016 12:35 PM CST

I don't have friends. I don't use twitter. I don't listen to general or local gweth because usually it's just so negative.

Thanks for the tips!
Re: Asketi's Respect 12/13/2016 12:42 PM CST
>>I don't have friends. I don't use twitter. I don't listen to general or local gweth because usually it's just so negative.

Not listening to what is going on is an understandable hindrance to not knowing what is going on.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Asketi's Respect 12/13/2016 12:46 PM CST

Sometimes I run across someone who actually reads what I say. It's rare. I suspected you were around boredblade, the boots were looking awful clean
Re: Asketi's Respect 12/13/2016 01:06 PM CST
>>Sometimes I run across someone who actually reads what I say. It's rare. I suspected you were around boredblade, the boots were looking awful clean

Don't worry, I think people reading are well aware you're really complaining that the players who actively engage in roleplay are being rewarded with roleplay involvement.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Asketi's Respect 12/13/2016 01:16 PM CST

How insightful of you, you're like a cantankerous unending advertisement for just how boring platinum must in fact be! I think it every time I see you post!

I hate to spoil your malcontent, but no, I wasn't aware of the event and wanted to know how I could get in the know.

I really appreciate the players like Mcwriggles, Hastaluego and Skaen who tried to help me out.
Re: Asketi's Respect 12/13/2016 01:17 PM CST

To try a more constructive tact, I think players who actively roleplay could work on making their roleplay more inclusive, both in terms of gentle nudges for those who don't know the lore, and in terms of not having it be all about a spotlight on them. I also think players who actively want to get involved in roleplay can do their best to get up to speed on the lore, actively try and encourage and foster the roleplay that others are already getting up to, and make an effort to show up.

There are improvements to be had on both sides.
Re: Asketi's Respect 12/13/2016 04:34 PM CST
>I don't have friends

There's your problem.

"Warrior Mages don't bother covering up their disasters.

They're proud of them."
-Raesh
Re: Asketi's Respect 12/13/2016 05:22 PM CST

Would you be my friend?
Re: Asketi's Respect 12/13/2016 06:07 PM CST
I may be wrong, but I think you don't have to DO twitter to keep an eye on it? Find Isharon's feed and make a bookmark to it and just stalk it.

Otherwise, just... suck it up, for the gweths. I hate them, too, but between being blind and alone and getting disgruntled at things, I'd rather be disgruntled. If you use Genie or Lich or something, there are ways to block out thoughts from people you really don't like.
Re: Asketi's Respect 12/13/2016 06:25 PM CST
>>I don't have friends. I don't use twitter. I don't listen to general or local gweth because usually it's just so negative.

I generally hate gweths as well, for the same reason. They're typically toxic. Though lately, they've been better. I don't use twitter either, and I rarely find that it is my friends informing me about upcoming events. I use the calendar and I use the forums. Those are my two primary ways I keep track of what is going on.
Re: Asketi's Respect 12/13/2016 10:40 PM CST
I don't use twitter outside of checking a few DR accounts periodically. I don't own a smartphone. If you want to make it easy on yourself get TweetDeck or a similar application. It takes minutes to check up on the usual suspects' DR twitter accounts once or thrice a week via just your web browser though.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Main_Page
Re: Asketi's Respect ::NUDGE:: 12/14/2016 08:07 AM CST
Let's stop with the insults please.

Helje
DragonRealms Senior Board Moderator

If you have a question about the forums, please email me Senior Board Moderator Helje at DR-Helje@play.net or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl at DR-Annwyl@play.net
Re: Asketi's Respect 12/14/2016 01:12 PM CST

<It's weird how its the same five people in the majority of these event logs! Is there a chat room or a twitter feed I can join so I too can participate?

Whiteburn actually reached out to me to join this event. She and I have only ever interacted rarely, but she knows that I'm interested in this sort of thing on my cleric. I have felt frustrated at times at seemingly never being at the right place at the right time, but I've found that letting people with a good reputation for RP know that you are interested has gone a really long way. Which is perhaps what you've now done with this post, so good luck!
Re: Asketi's Respect 12/14/2016 10:35 PM CST

Whiteburn also reached out to myself to join the event. My cleric is relatively unknown and at the time was only around 25th circle. I not only got to participate but also felt like I wasn't just a by-stander watching the event. I was included.
Re: Asketi's Respect 12/16/2016 03:50 AM CST
One reason I find that Whiteburn is often chose for RP events (or shows up, I'm not sure) is that she stays heavily in character (the one she is rp-ing, not her self -- some people have trouble separating these) and doesn't break character despite occasionally getting killed over and over by the zealous.

RP can happen. Know your character -- adopt their personality -- know the backstory and think how they'd react to the situation occurring firsthand. We can't be all positives so what are their weaknesses (the hooch?).

When I did some of those things, it happened (and if it didn't that's fine too, cause I'm a geeky RP type)

this is my 2 cents.
Re: Asketi's Respect 12/16/2016 05:49 AM CST
>>One reason I find that Whiteburn is often chose for RP events (or shows up, I'm not sure) is that she stays heavily in character (the one she is rp-ing, not her self -- some people have trouble separating these) and doesn't break character despite occasionally getting killed over and over by the zealous.<<

That, and sometimes she is the one setting things up.

Planning and promoting events that tie into the setting - for instance getting people to go to Asketi's Mount on the new year to pay your respects - can grab the attention of the Events team provided you let them know what you're going to do, you're consistently IC and your events are appropriate, and there's someone around to provide the support.

If you think about it, those sorts of events are pure gold. The premise is already set up and players are already invested in being active and getting people to participate.

Mazrian
Re: Asketi's Respect 12/16/2016 11:12 AM CST
I've bumped into this character a few times and attempted to draw them into a dialogue.

Perhaps it was just a bad time for them on each of several occasions but they didn't seem particularly interested.

It's also possible my caliber of role play just wasn't welcome.
Re: Asketi's Respect 12/17/2016 06:09 AM CST
>One reason I find that Whiteburn is often chose for RP events (or shows up, I'm not sure) is that she stays heavily in character (the one she is rp-ing, not her self -- some people have trouble separating these) and doesn't break character despite occasionally getting killed over and over by the zealous.

She is always IC, most of the time even outside the game (<3 WB), she constantly attends events, pushes RP in-game without being a troll, helps people, is nice, and organizes a ton of events.

She's like the ideal player, except for picking a lame god.
Re: Asketi's Respect 12/17/2016 05:33 PM CST
>One reason I find that Whiteburn is often chose for RP events (or shows up, I'm not sure) is that she stays heavily in character (the one she is rp-ing, not her self -- some people have trouble separating these) and doesn't break character despite occasionally getting killed over and over by the zealous.

Not only this, she is often ACTIVELY involved in what is happening. Whiteburn the character responds to the world. On holidays she performs rituals and prays. During invasions she fights (sometimes on the invaders' side), or she goes to pray. She decided that Drogor needed an altar in Therengia (which He didn't have), and she pushed it at many events before the GMs finally made it happen. And really, why not allow a Cleric to build a simple altar out of wood?

A lot of people expect that they can only react to the world, and only in certain ways. Whiteburn takes the initiative. I would love to see more people play like this, and I'd love to see the GMs respond to them as well. Clearly they are starting to do this.

>>She's like the ideal player

+1

- Navesi
Re: Asketi's Respect 12/17/2016 07:02 PM CST

<I would love to see more people play like this, and I'd love to see the GMs respond to them as well. Clearly they are starting to do this.

It's just peculiar how they only seem to respond to certain people and if you try get in on the act your gweths get smashed or you're ignored.
Re: Asketi's Respect 12/17/2016 08:53 PM CST
>>It's just peculiar how they only seem to respond to certain people and if you try get in on the act your gweths get smashed or you're ignored.

Sounds like the constant in all your various issues here is well - You. Try being a little less that.
Re: Asketi's Respect 12/17/2016 09:01 PM CST

<Sounds like the constant in all your various issues here is well - You. Try being a little less that.

That's a fair ball, I play tarlof any suggestions are welcome
Re: Asketi's Respect 12/17/2016 09:03 PM CST
><I would love to see more people play like this, and I'd love to see the GMs respond to them as well. Clearly they are starting to do this.
>It's just peculiar how they only seem to respond to certain people and if you try get in on the act your gweths get smashed or you're ignored.
She's ALWAYS in character and pushing things, it's tough but doable. And she DOES.

I definitely have been pushing some of my own angles following her lead, in my own way on my characters. It's been cool in it's own way.

Just keep being active and doing, a LOT of the time no one will be listening or viewing besides you. But it's good practice.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
"Phelim, what have I wrought?"
GM NaOHHI
---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 S.V.o.L.t.R
Re: Asketi's Respect 12/18/2016 12:47 AM CST
it certainly is clique-y amish, you are not inaccurate in your assessment. hard to blame em tho with no lack of trolls to account.

being in agreement at all times seems to be a requirement for a number RPers, but such is the cult of personality.

trust in that if you weren't ignored or overlooked it would be worse because you'd become bored to death in a week or less in the uniformity.

-Munch-
Re: Asketi's Respect 12/18/2016 01:20 AM CST
>>It's just peculiar how they only seem to respond to certain people and if you try get in on the act your gweths get smashed or you're ignored.

I haven't seen or experienced this, maybe because I'm in the "in" crowd, who knows. All I know is that I personally try to engage with anyone who shows a desire to roleplay in good faith. From what I've seen, people who RP consistently, who show up and speak and remain in character, WILL eventually make names for themselves, and this will be their ticket into invites into events and GM attention.

Some extra advice:

- Using verbs, the SAY emotes (occasionally), and ACT will do a lot to show the other parties present that you're interested in really RPing. Just talking alone can come across like you're not that interested.

- Whispering OOC to someone that you're interested in participating is totally okay in my book. Especially if you've previously played a conflicting character or a bad guy and want to start changing your story. If you've had a bad past, characters will have a reason to ignore you so that might be what they're doing!

- The GMs have said that it's okay to report once to let them know if a spontaneous event is happening. For example, if there's an invasion and you gather a group to go check out X relevant location, or go to pray at a particular altar, you might let the GMs know.

Anyone can also feel free to reach out to Navesi in game, or me via the OOC methods. I will do my best to connect anybody who wants to be connected. I'm not the greatest with names but I also try to remember those who say they are interested in X type of event and reach out to them when it happens. At the moment I'm mostly on a holiday break, but if you see me online feel free to try me.

- Navesi
Re: Asketi's Respect 12/18/2016 05:17 AM CST
>>That's a fair ball, I play tarlof any suggestions are welcome

My first suggestion is something that might fall on deaf ears in this community, but: Do whatever your character would do at all times regardless of the outcome, but don't expect there to always be some form of GM/NPC interaction.

To give an idea of what I mean: I've had Perune parked at the Standing Stones for just over a week now. This has pretty much all but halted my advancement (Circling), and other than some Magical Research and classes from others, I haven't gained a whole lot of field experience. This is a no-sell to a lot of people. However, while being there, other people have taken the time to stop by and chat with me, or take up the watch with me, and various things have happened that I've outlined in the Theren events folder. The people who have stopped by I've been able to engage in either friendly or more ominous terms, but we've all had fun and its been very interesting.

These things occurred just because of a small post and a few gweth messages, but also because I was willing to put aside my training to do what my character would do. In fact, if you check out the WM Events folder, you'll see that almost all the recent threads were Events or Ideas started by myself. Things I went out of my way to do, because my character would be interested in them and I wanted to stir things up for people in the WM Guild. Some of the ideas I've had over the last year have been very successful with everyone, and others weren't, but attempts were made and I think it makes a difference.

A suggestion I can offer since you're a WM: When I'm bored, I sometimes use my familiar to randomly find people in various areas. Usually I'll pick someone I know that is probably in Crossing, and then randomly move the familiar around to hot spots in Crossing to have it engage in roleplay with its own separate personality that is often mocking of his "owner". I've had a lot of success with this and people are generally amused.

Lastly, something I can offer to you specifically is that I've noticed you're usually nearby Zaulfung. Our characters spoke briefly last night (I was like 15 mins from hitting the sack), but definitely come back by and chat more if you're interested in what's going on there or just want to RP in general.