Task Trouble 10/26/2019 09:56 AM CDT
So I got a task to collect some spidersilk from various spiders. Trouble is, they don't seem to be flexing correctly and are ending up considerably more difficult than flex creatures usually are. Through cheesy over-usage of Nissa's Binding, I managed to get my Guardian Spirit to kill several of them though. But none of them would drop any spidersilk. At first I thought I was just having lousy luck, but after a while I gave up on it and now assume that kills by pet are incapable of completing the task. If that's true though, I should never have been given that task in the first place as an Empath. So I had to go cancel the task (which required playing Guess-The-Syntax since nothing tells you how to do that...fortunately I was right) and then wait out that obnoxious timer before I could do another one. All around terrible experience.

Also, the Manipulate bug I posted about the other night applies to these as well; they won't attack each other no matter what.

Thanks,
-Biomancer Karthor
Re: Task Trouble 10/26/2019 10:22 AM CDT
>none of them would drop any spidersilk

That confused me too, initially. For anything that isn't implicitly a kill broodlings task (which are found in the web burrows); after you've accepted a task, type task and it'll show you where in the realms you're supposed to go (outside the web burrows) for spiders to generate that'll drop spidersilk loot (and where you need to go for non-kill tasks). I got sent to Acenamacra's beach for my spidersilk task to kill various other types of spiders (not broodlings).

Documentation is a love letter you write to your future self.
Re: Task Trouble 10/26/2019 10:53 AM CDT
<<That confused me too, initially. For anything that isn't implicitly a kill broodlings task (which are found in the web burrows); after you've accepted a task, type task and it'll show you where in the realms you're supposed to go (outside the web burrows) for spiders to generate that'll drop spidersilk loot (and where you need to go for non-kill tasks). I got sent to Acenamacra's beach for my spidersilk task to kill various other types of spiders (not broodlings).>>

That's precisely what I did. I, too, was sent to Acenemacra. Did you happen to obtain any by way of kills made by a combat pet? That's my only option since the creatures are living, and it didn't seem to be generating any.

Thanks,
-Biomancer Karthor
Re: Task Trouble 10/26/2019 11:06 AM CDT

Cyclic spells, combat pets, and maybe(?) AOEs don't seem to count towards kill counts. Weapons, ranged or melee seem the best choice. You also need some serious buffs with this flexing or they will kill you, especially if you find one of the rare metal spiders or someone bigger than you is nearby.
Re: Task Trouble 10/26/2019 11:42 AM CDT
<<Cyclic spells, combat pets, and maybe(?) AOEs don't seem to count towards kill counts.>>

That's the impression I got, at least with regard to the combat pets. It's a pretty major oversight that those tasks would even be offered to Empaths when the creatures aren't constructs. It was fine for the tree things, but here it's a big problem. We should at least be able to decline those tasks without having to wait out the silly timer.

Thanks,
-Biomancer Karthor
Re: Task Trouble 10/26/2019 11:53 AM CDT
Are there any empath-completable tasks available from the arachnologist?

~Aislynn
Re: Task Trouble 10/26/2019 12:00 PM CDT
<<Are there any empath-completable tasks available from the arachnologist?>>

Yeah, there's tasks for destroying webs or rescuing missing people that are perfectly doable.

Thanks,
-Biomancer Karthor
Re: Task Trouble 10/26/2019 02:16 PM CDT
>It's a pretty major oversight that those tasks would even be offered to Empaths

There is special handling for Empaths. Empaths do not get the tasks that require killing the spiders, UNLESS they are fully shocked, because at that point why not? Empaths CAN get the tasks that require collecting the chitin slivers and/or spidersilk tatters. Those do not require killing -- those items are a random drop, and they can be sold/traded between players, they don't bond in any way.

If, however, Empaths are getting the two tasks that require killing X broodlings or augmented spiders who AREN'T fully shocked, that would be a bug and I'd need a character name to investigate further.

Zadraes
Re: Task Trouble 10/26/2019 02:22 PM CDT
<<Empaths CAN get the tasks that require collecting the chitin slivers and/or spidersilk tatters. Those do not require killing -- those items are a random drop, and they can be sold/traded between players, they don't bond in any way.>>

Good to know, thanks for clarifying. The drop rate my need a look then, because I tried long enough to become convinced that it wasn't working at all when I had my GS killing them and found zero spidersilk. Does it theoretically drop even if you're not on the task?

Thanks,
-Biomancer Karthor
Re: Task Trouble 10/26/2019 05:14 PM CDT
I will chime in to say that it does kind of stink that pet kills don't count. My naga is the best method I have for killing them.

I just tested and cyclic kills DO count.

- Navesi

The First Land Herald -- Zoluren's newspaper. https://elanthipedia.play.net/The_First_Land_Herald
Re: Task Trouble 10/26/2019 06:18 PM CDT
>I will chime in to say that it does kind of stink that pet kills don't count.

It's been a long-standing issue with how the task system tracks creature kills. Not quickly solved, but something we'd like to look into more at some point.

Zadraes