Alteration question 08/30/2014 03:56 PM CDT
One of my most prized items, was a an altered whip. I think I had brought things like rope etc, to the alteration but in the end it was a flail or similar. At any rate, it was a weapon and it was wearable on my belt without a container. I was graverobbed, and lost everything. (A long time ago, I've been gone for well over 10 years and just returning).

If I wanted to create my old whip again, is it still possible in the current system? Could I take current rare material crafted weapon, and alter that into a whip?

~Ausmodius
Re: Alteration question 08/30/2014 07:51 PM CDT
Probably not. I don't think they allow the noun to be changed for weapons and armor.
Re: Alteration question 08/30/2014 08:12 PM CDT
That is disheartening. My whip was the first and only alteration I ever had, and it was special to me even if it wasn't the best of weapons.

I've come across a few whips, most wearable on the belt but none of them were actually weapons.

~Ausmodius
Re: Alteration question 08/30/2014 10:36 PM CDT
I'd love to see a whip as a weapon, but I'm not sure what weapon class it would really fall into. Polearms?

Add in a tripping type of attack based on combat tactics and it'd be perfect.
Re: Alteration question 08/31/2014 04:02 AM CDT
Give it a try. Worst case, they say no. Have a back-up plan.
Re: Alteration question 09/01/2014 12:20 PM CDT
Something like that could be maybe be done with forgebinding. As I am not a GM that does that kind of alteration, I can't say for sure.

You're better off banking that at 99% of alteration sessions you find these days, we won't be able to do that.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Alteration question 09/02/2014 08:28 AM CDT
That's what I thought, which makes it's lose that much more painful. It was something that helped define who I was, and was somewhat unique. I believe it was actually a flail base item but don't recall if it had pole range or not. It also did blunt damage, but it probably would be better suited as an edge. It had a few verbs, and was wearable. No item departs, or bonding in those days. Lost everything I owned more than a few times.

~Ausmodius
Re: Alteration question 09/02/2014 10:29 AM CDT
Yeah, it's quite likely you won't see anything like it again. Even with forgebinding, we require the nouns of the items being combined to be the same and lots of other finicky rules.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Alteration question 09/02/2014 04:32 PM CDT
You MIGHT, and I say this as a random thought, might just maybe possibly see it as an auction item some day. But I wouldn't bet on it.

Weapons for Sale:
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/User:CARAAMON#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html