First LTB redemption 11/07/2012 09:55 AM CST
Hi,

I'm considering getting an LTB alteration on a forged bastard sword. My question is, do I have the option to change the look from the maker's mark impression or not. I don't really want to obliterate the mark but I'd like to add my own look as well.

Also, any help confirming the following is initially valid would help.

Item:
a kertig bastard sword

Basic:
a curved-blade kertig bastard sword

Tap:
a curved-blade kertig bastard sword with a scorpion diamond inset pommel

Look:
To add extra momentum, the tip of the blade has been flared into a yelman.

I read the alteration guidelines and I think I followed all the rules. I know yelman is not a part of the realms but it is the technical term for the blade flare on a kilij. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Syllanthis
Re: First LTB redemption 11/07/2012 11:23 AM CST
You might avoid the technical name and just describe it as 'flared' or a similar simple description, but it's your sword.

I can't imagine removing the stamp would be an issue, but altering it could go either way. I'm curious as to the answer you get.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: First LTB redemption 11/07/2012 12:34 PM CST
<<I can't imagine removing the stamp would be an issue, but altering it could go either way. I'm curious as to the answer you get.

My past experience has been the opposite. If a maker's mark is present on the weapon, it needs to stay on there after it has been altered. That's not too difficult from a technical perspective, just add that mark at the end of the look:

eg:
Before alteration: Impressed into the metal is the image of a rampaging peccary before an erupting volcano. Surrounding the design in diminutive lettering are the words, "Elothean Pigsmasher".

After alteration: To add extra momentum, the tip of the blade has been flared into a yelman. Impressed into the metal is the image of a rampaging peccary before an erupting volcano. Surrounding the design in diminutive lettering are the words, "Elothean Pigsmasher".

Nikpack
Re: First LTB redemption 11/07/2012 12:35 PM CST
That is what I intended but I didn't know if that would be allowable because of the 20 word or less limit of the look.

Thanks.

Syllanthis.
Re: First LTB redemption 11/07/2012 12:38 PM CST
A maker's mark does in fact need to be retained in its exact form in the LOOK.

As far as the 20 word thing -- The hard limit is 511 characters, including spaces - with two spaces between sentences.

Thanks!
Lyneya
Re: First LTB redemption 11/07/2012 01:51 PM CST

Is that an LTB limitaion or is that for any alteration?

If its for any, how does forgebinding work with makers marks then if your combining an item that's already altered with a forged item that has a makers mark?
Re: First LTB redemption 11/07/2012 01:55 PM CST
>>Is that an LTB limitaion or is that for any alteration?

IIRC, any alteration.

I'd like the option to get rid of my own mark if I wanted, but no biggie.

When in doubt, http://elanthipedia.org/
Re: First LTB redemption 11/07/2012 03:01 PM CST
Personally is like to get rid of the mark.

It's my item, thanks.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: First LTB redemption 11/08/2012 08:22 AM CST
>>It's my item, thanks

Other than the snark, you make a decent point.

If you bought the Mona Lisa you'd be more than welcome to scratch Leonardo da Vinci's signature from the painting.

Player of Diggan, Ranger & Halfing of Aesry
Re: First LTB redemption 11/08/2012 09:22 AM CST
>>If you bought the Mona Lisa you'd be more than welcome to scratch Leonardo da Vinci's signature from the painting.

But a respectable restoration painter might not do it for you.

When in doubt, http://elanthipedia.org/
Re: First LTB redemption 11/09/2012 11:45 AM CST

>>Personally is like to get rid of the mark.

It's my item, thanks. <<

I think it's best compared to when you have a picture from a professional photographer or any other copyrighted material. If you want to make a copy on your own you can, but you won't have as much luck getting any professional to do it for you.
Re: First LTB redemption 11/10/2012 05:56 PM CST
One final question. After I write my alteration do I have to do something special to submit it?
Re: First LTB redemption 11/10/2012 06:10 PM CST
Is the marker's mark counted in the character count for the look description?
Re: First LTB redemption 11/26/2012 07:41 PM CST
Loriale just completed my alteration and I couldn't be happier. There was a slight change for clarity to the tap and it was perfect.

You glance over your alterer's scroll and read,
"I, Syllanthis, request to have my bastard sword altered in the following manner: BASIC: a curved-blade kertig bastard sword TAP: a curved-blade kertig bastard sword with a scorpion diamond inset pommel LOOK: To add extra momentum, the tip of the razor-sharp blade has been flared into a yelman. Etched near the hilt you see the words, "Forged by the skilled hands of Shadowar.""

The merchant's last response was: I've finished working on your sword. You can WRITE ACCEPT it when you're ready for it.

Your last reply was: works perfectly for me and I have the scorpion diamond for the pommel

The finished item will be a curved-blade kertig bastard sword.
When you TAP or GET it, you will see a curved-blade kertig bastard sword with a scorpion diamond set into the pommel.
When you LOOK at it or SHOW it, you will see: To add extra momentum, the tip of the razor-sharp blade has been flared into a yelman. Etched near the hilt you see the words, "Forged by the skilled hands of Shadowar."

Thank you again Loriale. It was my first alteration and I couldn't be happier.

Syllanthis
Re: First LTB redemption 11/27/2012 06:02 AM CST
Hurray! Looks all weapon-y! :)