Pet 11/08/2003 08:32 PM CST
I wanna fish....

--Raydell et al.

"Well folks, you know what that means... now I'll do a dance."
Re: Pet 11/08/2003 11:50 PM CST
>I wanna fish....

You can already get fish, and it doesn't even take up your pet slot, just a table slot. There are a few different kinds of aquariums, but if you get the red-tinged one (pet bleeder, was sold on Safari), it also has 'room ambience' like regular pets do. The other aquariums don't do anything unless you interact with them.

~S.T.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
Re: Pet 11/09/2003 12:26 AM CST
Actually, all aquariums and the Rissan bleeder give room atmosphere messages from time to time after you first LOOK at them when you are in the room.

Brynnhilde

__
There's no place like home...
Homeowners' FAQ
http://www.arcanewolf.com/homes/index.html

Need a ride? Learn about horses!
http://www.mytwokronars.com/brynnhilde.html
Re: Pet 11/09/2003 12:39 AM CST
ooooooh, I gotta get me one. Thanks.

--Raydell et al.

"Well folks, you know what that means... now I'll do a dance."
Re: Pet 11/09/2003 08:10 AM CST
Would I be able to put my pet turtle (caught on the amusement pier) in an aquarium? He doesn't do anything but he's.. special. Right now he lives in a bottle in my vault.
Re: Pet 11/09/2003 08:17 AM CST
Nope. All those caught fish (and turtles) act like food items. No putting them on furniture.

~Dulcinia

Falkonis says, "blah blah blah companion... blah blah blah"
Falkonis says, "not another word"
Falkonis says, "about companions"
You hear the voice of Jent say, "Boo Hoo"
Re: Pet 11/09/2003 09:26 AM CST
>> Nope. All those caught fish (and turtles) act like food items. No putting them on furniture.

{gasps in horror at the prospect of eating his pet turtle}

-/\/\
Re: Pet 11/10/2003 11:24 PM CST
i have two pet turtles that live in a driftwood box in my vault...their names are Oompa and Loompa. I too wish to put them out under my table so they can see the world.
Pets...why inside? 12/18/2003 02:04 PM CST
I love having a pet, and would love to see more options including baby animals, and birds. My only question is, why are pets only allowed inside the home? Why can't we have a pet that lives outside the home, or even some livestock? Frankly some of the pets seem like they would be happier outside than indoors. Maybe make it so you could take your pet outside your home, leave it out there for a bit, then take it back inside. Like taking your dog for a walk, or letting your cat explore the outdoors.

Also, I would love to see options like piglets, sheep, chickens, or even a cow become possible. Maybe in DR2 when we can have multi-room houses we could get a barn or stable and then have an assortment of pets/livestock? Maybe, maybe, please? I mean many peasants as well as wealthy people had livestock of some sort. To think that all of our milk and eggs are store bought is just silly. It would go along with careers as well. You could have some sheep at your home, take their wool, and create items from it. Just a thought.

-Player of A.Z.
Re: Pets...why inside? 12/18/2003 02:14 PM CST
>I love having a pet, and would love to see more options including baby animals, and birds. My only question is, why are pets only allowed inside the home? Why can't we have a pet that lives outside the home, or even some livestock? Frankly some of the pets seem like they would be happier outside than indoors. Maybe make it so you could take your pet outside your home, leave it out there for a bit, then take it back inside. Like taking your dog for a walk, or letting your cat explore the outdoors.

>Also, I would love to see options like piglets, sheep, chickens, or even a cow become possible. Maybe in DR2 when we can have multi-room houses we could get a barn or stable and then have an assortment of pets/livestock? Maybe, maybe, please? I mean many peasants as well as wealthy people had livestock of some sort. To think that all of our milk and eggs are store bought is just silly. It would go along with careers as well. You could have some sheep at your home, take their wool, and create items from it. Just a thought.

I love the idea. Both of having an outdoor pet and also of having livestock. I think it would be awesome to have a dog or wolf or something outside, that barked occassionally at people. Have it: "A small brown wolf tied to a stake in front of the framed cabin" or whatever the house is. Great ideas there.

--R*a*y**d*e*l**l, et al.

~The fluffy-huggy-lets be nice all the time attitude really brings this place down.
Re: Pets...why inside? 12/18/2003 02:17 PM CST
<<I love the idea. Both of having an outdoor pet and also of having livestock. I think it would be awesome to have a dog or wolf or something outside, that barked occassionally at people. Have it: "A small brown wolf tied to a stake in front of the framed cabin" or whatever the house is. Great ideas there.

The only problem I see with this is moving. I have a feeling that as far as current mechanics (and quite possibly in DR2) we'll still lose our outside decorations. And then there's teh issue of having an apartment...who would tie up a dog outside of an apartment door? that's just wrong...

~Kels
Re: Pets...why inside? 12/18/2003 02:30 PM CST
>The only problem I see with this is moving. I have a feeling that as far as current mechanics (and quite possibly in DR2) we'll still lose our outside decorations. And then there's teh issue of having an apartment...who would tie up a dog outside of an apartment door? that's just wrong...

Well, too bad for the apartment users :P

It may be tough and difficult and not everyone will be happy. But it is just like those who do not have freestanding homes cannot get certain things. It all depends on where you life. If you live in a treehouse, I don't know if it would be cool to have a dog hanging from the lower limb, but I think it would be a nice thing for those who own the correct kind of home. Not to punish those who do not have the correct kind, but things are all different depending on where you live.

~The fluffy-huggy-lets be nice all the time attitude really brings this place down.
Re: Pets...why inside? 12/18/2003 05:39 PM CST
>I think it would be awesome to have a dog or wolf or something outside, that barked occassionally at people.

The first thing that popped into my head was: "Would it be skinnable?" I really dislike companions and guardians in my guild, and a dog that barked at me everytime I went home would be a big nuisance. Just my two copper.

Bambina
Re: Pets...why inside? 12/18/2003 07:03 PM CST
Well, I don't think it would have to be every time. Just like if you stand outside the pond, occassionally you hear squeaking from the pond. It would be for people who stood around long enough to see. Or if you walked in right as it barked. You could pet it possibly if you were on the 'owners' befriend list... or nip at you if you were 'cold' on their list... oooh, fun. Hehe...

Re: Pets...why inside? 12/19/2003 05:59 PM CST
<<I really dislike companions and guardians in my guild, and a dog that barked at me everytime I went home would be a big nuisance.>>

Pets can sleep.

As for the apartment issue, perhaps they could get something different. Some animals work better in apartments, some work better in homes with land around them. When DR2 comes out perhaps apartment owners can have balconies on which their pets may go to get a bit of the outdoors.

You also see a ruddy Rissan cat basking on a balcony railing, as the sun warms its fur.

Treehouses would work well with the whole bird idea. They could have a cardinal or blue-jay or sparrow or something that lives on of the limbs of the tree where their house is built.

-player of A.Z.
Re: Pets...why inside? 01/01/2004 11:16 AM CST
how about a leash/cage/bowl/etc? You PUT pet ON LEASH, and then you can take it outside with you for however long ou want.
Pets and the Sea Caves 03/15/2004 03:40 PM CST
Speaking of pets however, when are the sea caves gonna reopen? I've come into some coin and theres a ferret and a couple pieces of furniture I need.
Pets and Guests 07/04/2004 08:07 PM CDT
Is there a particular reason why pets are mean to everyone but the owner and one honored guest? Is there a way to change this? (Even my real cat is nicer to my guests!)
Pets in the Sea Caves 10/19/2004 05:46 AM CDT
I have been an Estate Holder for a couple years, but never took the time to collect the LTB's.

A few nights ago I got the urge to do so, I am a Ranger and travel with a baby raccoon. I first noticed something was amis when I entered the portal, but the raccoon would not follow. In the end I ended up carrying in and out of every tetn on the first level. As I attempted to climb the incline, with it in my hands at first, I was unable to continue; so I set the raccoon down, climbed up and waited. Again, it did not follow, so I went back down, had to whistle for it and it returned. I again attempted to go up to the nxt level, and again it did not follow; this time, however, upon returning to the first level(time I wated was apporximately 15 seconds) I attempted to whistle for my raccoon. This time it was gone...

As I was extremely annoyed by this I stomped about and then moved on begrudgely. Meanwhile on the third level of the caves I come across a Warrior Mage with his companion, I'm not to certain of the difference, if any, between how fams and companions work, but I was supremely miffed at this(that he had his fam on the upper level and I coupldn't have mine follow me from room to room).

I sent in a shout for help, in the end the GM came out to me, with a baby raccoon for me to replace the one that was lost to an unknown.

I was also asked to come here and post this for future referance to other Estate Holders.

I offer this one warning to Rangers, do not go into the Meeting Portals while you have a animal companion in your care, they will more than likely do as mine did and leave you sicne they cannot be at your side.
Re: Pets in the Sea Caves 10/19/2004 08:34 AM CDT
Glad that you were able to get it replaced. Thanks for the warning. Companions are not pets. Warrior Mages have familiars, not companions. They do not act the same at all. =)

~Chris

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege. - Unknown
Re: Pets in the Sea Caves 10/20/2004 11:11 AM CDT
Is it possible the Warrior Mage summoned his familiar right there and didn't have it follow?

Also familiars do not have to tag at your heels to follow. If you move into an area where they can't go and they've been ordered to follow, they will go into 'seek' mode waiting for you to re-enter a place where they can follow.

Companions are real animals, familiars are not.

"Evening, Pot. Nice to finally meet you. I've heard so much about you. My name, by the by, is Kettle."
Pet in despair? 01/29/2005 04:51 PM CST
My cat has stopped moving on her own volition since I changed my home ownership. The abode once belonged to Shaytress, now it is owned by Erefayna, in Ratha. The only things she does is scratch at the door if someone knocks, or respond if someone tries to pet or if I do. But other than that, she doesn't move around on her own, greet me when I open the door, hop on the bed to bathe or sleep. It's rather sad if I spend time in there alone, since I bought the cat for some kind of company. I did bug this a few weeks ago, but nothing came of it.
Re: Pet in despair? 01/29/2005 07:56 PM CST
Have you tried poking it?

As in, POKE CAT.

Sounds like it's just "shushed".
Re: Pet in despair? 02/04/2005 03:19 PM CST
::blushes:: That was it exactly, thank you so very much. I had forgotten all about that.
Question bout a Pet. 09/26/2006 10:11 AM CDT
Howdy all. Never asked bout a pet before so here it goes. I currently own a tan hedgehog. The little sucker is cute, but seems to lack any ambient atmospheric messaging. It will sniff at my fingers when I try to pet it, but nothing extra alike I see everyone elses' pets doing. Things like moving around the room, shuffling about, sniffing at stuff etc.

I just wasn't sure if perhaps mine was intended to lack those functions, or if they only happen rarely, or if they are indeed buggy. I'm not even sure where you get a hedgehog from these days. Does anyone know? I am a housing neophyte :P Thanks for any info you can provide me with!

http://www.drplat.com - The DragonRealms Platinum Community Website. Be sure to vote DragonRealms as your #1 MUD!
Re: Question bout a Pet. 09/26/2006 10:13 AM CDT
Try tapping or poking it (I forget which activates it). It might be hushed at the moment.

~Dulcinia

We don't rent pigs!
Re: Question bout a Pet. 09/26/2006 10:17 AM CDT
It's POKE. TAP is the gender changer, which you can only do once, so be careful!

HOME HELP 17 is your friend.

Gryck
Re: Question bout a Pet. 09/26/2006 10:19 AM CDT
I see.. I'll go read up on it all when I get home. Figuring out how to adjust the house attributes was tricky enough. Though, I guess it helps if you actually visit your own house more than once a year lol! All those long nights spent falling asleep at my enchanter's table in the WM guild :shakes fist:

http://www.drplat.com - The DragonRealms Platinum Community Website. Be sure to vote DragonRealms as your #1 MUD!
Re: Question bout a Pet. 09/26/2006 10:56 AM CDT
It's a hog..it's lazy. And it's scared your panther is going to EAT it!

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.~~
H. L. Mencken US editor (1880 - 1956)
Pet Demeaners 09/21/2007 09:12 PM CDT
I just purchased a dog companion for my home. She growls at my guests! I can't take her to behavior training, and she won't listen to me.

I read this entire thread and over several years, many people have asked about pet demeanors for those who wish their pets to be friendly to all guests. Some GM's have responded favorably, but there's been nothing at all said in a while.

Could a GM take a look and let us know if this has been looked at and possible for our pets to be nice to our guests?

Thank you much.

Holy Warrior Airoza and her faithful Warhorse Sir Maximus
Re: Pet Demeaners 09/21/2007 10:04 PM CDT
THIS is a amazing idea!

player of Ship Captain Listia Van Keller, Witch of Ratha
Re: Pet Demeaners 10/22/2007 12:22 PM CDT
I've thought it was an interesting idea, and it's something I would like to look into. However, there are other things higher on my lists right now.

Definitely not something to be expecting in the too-near future.

FGM Zadraes
Premium Liaison
ALAE GM (Platinum)
Demeanor for Pets 08/21/2009 07:11 PM CDT
Is it possible we might see this at some time?

--There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.--George Carlin
--'Must you fall asleep when I am talking?'..'No, its purely voluntary'..Churchill
Re: Demeanor for Pets 08/21/2009 08:12 PM CDT
In existing pets? Unless someone else takes up the banner, it won't be any time soon. In new pets? I can see next time I'm considering 'em.

ASGM Zadraes
Premium Liaison
ALAE GM (Platinum)
Logistics Lead
Re: Demeanor for Pets 08/22/2009 04:53 AM CDT
That would be awesome. Thanks! New pets

--There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.--George Carlin
--'Must you fall asleep when I am talking?'..'No, its purely voluntary'..Churchill