Fans 03/18/2007 08:19 PM CDT
It's my understanding that there are fans sold in the premie shops that work magical devices? If so would anyone care to sell me one, providing I can afford one? Thanks.
Re: Fans 03/18/2007 08:33 PM CDT
find legeres in game in the crossings, i'll help ya out

--
Treat empaths with respect, you'll live longer
--
http://blog.myspace.com/57223313
Re: Fans 03/18/2007 08:39 PM CDT
I'm not even sure I can afford one, how much are they? I was a premie a little over 2 years ago.
Re: Fans 03/18/2007 08:40 PM CDT
between 1 and 3 plat each.

Sothios Clan-Csencsits
Aesry Locksmith Union Representative
Re: Fans 03/18/2007 08:43 PM CDT
Ok, my empath I think can afford a ball park figure of 1.5 plat. But this is for my cleric. I swear, other than a moon mage clerics seem to need an insane amount of magic.
Re: Fans 03/18/2007 08:44 PM CDT
Btw, I'm standing near the crushed bungalow.
Re: Fans 03/18/2007 08:45 PM CDT
7.5 gold, don't let them fool you.

~Arwinia

You are Shrimpstar, a Prydaen Bard.
You have pointed ears and cat-slitted clear colored eyes. Your amber mane is short and thick, and is worn tousled. You have grey fur and a slender tail.
You look tired.

You are wearing nothing special.
Re: Fans 03/18/2007 08:47 PM CDT
Well this is why I asked for a price. I used to be premie and I know some of the things in there aren't cheap.
Re: Fans 03/18/2007 09:06 PM CDT
for anyone else who wants to know, the true prices are:

pale grey goose feather fan-21250 Kronars, carved sandalwood-7500, elaborate peacock feather-40000

--
Treat empaths with respect, you'll live longer
--
http://blog.myspace.com/57223313
Re: Fans 03/18/2007 09:28 PM CDT
Wish we could shop lift in the premie store. Would definitely be a very very...very nice premie perk.

Farewell, remorse: all good to me is lost; Evil, be thou my good.
~Paradise Lost (bk. IX, l. 171)
Re: Fans 03/18/2007 10:48 PM CDT
<<pale grey goose feather fan-21250 Kronars, carved sandalwood-7500, elaborate peacock feather-40000>>

I thought only the sandalwood fan actually taught anything. If I'm wrong, what are the spells in the other fans? I think sandalwood is zephyr.

Elemancer Opieus, Journeyman Warrior Mage of Elanthia
(Petitioning for Last Names for Elanthians of not so olde)
The Carved Sandalwood Fans 04/26/2007 04:13 PM CDT
Anybody know if the carved sandalwood fans used to work magical devices have a limited number of uses (like charges) and then break or fail to work.. or are they unlimited?
Re: The Carved Sandalwood Fans 04/26/2007 04:17 PM CDT
They have a limited number of uses, but I think they're more like the color wands. Instead of crumbling away like a runestone they just stop working and become a normal item. I seem to recall that it was unavoidable, but I'm not exactly sure if that's part of the TAP or not.

J'Lo, I'm a ranger.. I'd believe anything.....
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: The Carved Sandalwood Fans 04/26/2007 04:22 PM CDT
I hope it's not part of the "tap." They work MD so nicely... something this good that doesn't get consumed in some fashion is rare...
Re: The Carved Sandalwood Fans 04/26/2007 04:25 PM CDT
I believe there is a message that occurs occasionally while tapping involving a puff of smoke. That's a charge being used... I have no idea how many charges they start with.

Elemancer Opieus, Journeyman Warrior Mage of Elanthia
I love shield blocking while stunned and prone with a leg missing. ~Ranger Hanryu
Re: The Carved Sandalwood Fans 04/26/2007 04:30 PM CDT
If you're just tapping for MD, they do wear out. If you're using them for the spell they have a limited number of uses then are dead. As far as tapping, the messaging has to do with wisps of smoke or something like that. They will burn out faster as you get more MD up till they stop teaching, which I THINK is around 50-60 ranks.

Player of too many

Huldahs-Pal to J'lo:
Do you have a book called "How to pull answers from your behind and pretend like you know definite answers" or what?
Re: The Carved Sandalwood Fans 04/26/2007 05:30 PM CDT
Using tap they will run out even with 40 dev ranks. You will start getting partial failures which cost charges.

Farewell, remorse: all good to me is lost; Evil, be thou my good.
~Paradise Lost (bk. IX, l. 171)
Re: The Carved Sandalwood Fans 04/26/2007 06:42 PM CDT
It seems to be a function of concentration; my gnome with 20 int/wis/disc was blowing through one every 5-10 ranks when he reached 40 (one at 45, one at 50, one at 55, then realllllyyyyyy hard to get to 60).
Re: The Carved Sandalwood Fans 06/29/2015 11:01 PM CDT
I acquired one of these fans. How do I, a commoner, use it to train Arcana?
Re: The Carved Sandalwood Fans 06/29/2015 11:02 PM CDT

Tapping it isn't working?
Re: The Carved Sandalwood Fans 06/29/2015 11:15 PM CDT
>> I acquired one of these fans. How do I, a commoner, use it to train Arcana?

In Magic 2.X, you tapped it repeatedly, over and over and over again. Not sure it works that way in 3.X.

I

Kneebiter Zhunee just arrived.
R>
Zhunee glances around the room and says, "Someone pull my finger."
R>
Kneebiter Zhunee runs west.
Re: The Carved Sandalwood Fans 06/29/2015 11:25 PM CDT
Tapped it a hundred times, not a thing. Curiously I can use the invoke verb on it, but not make it do anything.
Re: The Carved Sandalwood Fans 06/30/2015 12:47 AM CDT
These were never converted for 3.0. They were removed from most NPC shops, but there's still some in circulation.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Re: The Carved Sandalwood Fans 06/30/2015 12:53 AM CDT
Pardon my double post:

http://www.tinyheroes.com/forums/DragonRealms/Estate%20Holders%20of%20Elanthia/Estate%20Holders%20Shopping%20Network/thread/1562965

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Re: The Carved Sandalwood Fans 06/30/2015 11:00 AM CDT
Yes they can no longer be bought from an npc shop in the game, but they can still be obtained from players who already had them. I have one now, I just can't get it to work. Is it strictly because i'm a commoner, is it because not only did they remove it from being purchasable in-game but they also disabled its abilities? Are the charges spent? Is it That broken?

All of this aside, what were the verbs associated with it?
Re: The Carved Sandalwood Fans 06/30/2015 11:14 AM CDT
>Yes they can no longer be bought from an npc shop in the game, but they can still be obtained from players who already had them. I have one now, I just can't get it to work. Is it strictly because i'm a commoner, is it because not only did they remove it from being purchasable in-game but they also disabled its abilities? Are the charges spent? Is it That broken?

>These were never converted for 3.0
Re: The Carved Sandalwood Fans 06/30/2015 11:48 AM CDT
Isn't it 3.1 now? Still no go?
Re: The Carved Sandalwood Fans 06/30/2015 11:51 AM CDT
Nope, the wands from Shard with Lightning Bolt in them don't work either anymore. Those were cookin straight past 200 ranks.
Re: The Carved Sandalwood Fans 06/30/2015 12:56 PM CDT
They probably never converted them, and will never convert them, because of the way that they were used. Learning by constantly failing is a little silly.
Re: The Carved Sandalwood Fans 06/30/2015 01:44 PM CDT
They are that broken.

Initially, "never converted" meant the fans used an old identifier value for a spell that no longer pointed to anything, but at this point I think the fans are also missing some values that allow the system to interact with them as magic items at all.

My understanding is that the fan still tries to work, but none of the magic code it used to plug into exists anymore.

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: The Carved Sandalwood Fans 06/30/2015 02:07 PM CDT

Nothing but useless trophy's now then? Guess I have to try finding one of those magic crystals then..