Ring vs. Portal problems 06/05/2016 02:10 AM CDT
Ok first I will admit that I rarely go to Fang Cove, other than to quickly grab my gift each month and maybe hit up a meeting. Most of the time I use the portal if available and if I use my ring it is always for a quick trip. The recent festival changed that and I hung out there quite a bit, originally using my ring and then zipping back and forth to my home in Riverhaven a few times throughout.

Now that the fest has ended, it seems I am stuck in Fang Cove. This is what keeps happening to me when I try to leave:

Your iron ring pulses weakly, indicating that it does not have the power to do that right now.

> go port
Perhaps you should leave the area the same way you arrived.

So, I cannot use my ring even though it should have "reset" by now, and I cannot use the portal since I got there by ring. Is this a bug? Intended? Why can we not use the portal if we used the ring coming in?

I would love to know if it is worth waiting the ring out (I have no idea how long that would now be) or should I try other means?

I realize there is the mammoth thingy, but that is a last resort as it will take forever and I don't want to waste any more time than I already have if possible.

I like Fang Cove, but don't hunt here and already have a home :)
Re: Ring vs. Portal problems 06/05/2016 03:12 AM CDT
When you use your ring to go to Fang Cove, you have a limited amount of time (30 minutes) to use it to return from where you came. The STUDY messaging on the ring should tell you about this, and there are some warning messages before that time expires. If you fail to use the ring to leave within that amount of time, the portal will not be an option for you as the portal only works if that is the way you came in. This is largely because the portal doesn't know where you came from.

To leave Fang Cove in that circumstance, you would need to leave by one of the mammoths or perhaps a friendly moon mage. The mammoths are actually rather fast despite being such large creatures, give them a try! Non-premium players should be able to gate to the area outside the cove by the dock.

Aneka
DragonRealms Board Monitor

If you have any questions or comments, please contact me at MOD-Aneka@play.net, Senior Board Monitor Helje at DR-Helje@play.net, or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Ring vs. Portal problems 06/05/2016 11:01 AM CDT
>> that is a last resort as it will take forever and I don't want to waste any more time than I already have if possible.

The mammoth to Leth is a rather fast trip. I want to say just a few minutes but I never seriously timed it.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Ring vs. Portal problems 06/05/2016 03:24 PM CDT
I think it's about 10 minutes.
Re: Ring vs. Portal problems 06/06/2016 12:40 AM CDT
Ok thanks for letting me know. I didn't even realize the mammoth went to Leth, I thought it went to Ratha. Leth makes things much easier.

I guess my problem was I didn't realize I couldn't end up using either the ring or the portal and that there was no cooldown on that. I wasted a few days waiting for the ring to work again. :P
Re: Ring vs. Portal problems 06/06/2016 01:00 AM CDT
<<Ok thanks for letting me know. I didn't even realize the mammoth went to Leth, I thought it went to Ratha. Leth makes things much easier.

There's two mammoths, one to Leth and one to Ratha. They're pretty obviously marked as such. Even still, make sure you get on the right one. ;)

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Ring vs. Portal problems 06/06/2016 01:02 AM CDT
There are two Mammoths and one does take you to Ratha, the other to Leth, they arrive in the same room in Fang Cove.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
"Phelim, what have I wrought?"
GM NaOHHI
---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Vic
Re: Ring vs. Portal problems 06/08/2016 05:05 PM CDT
My fault for just not knowing these things. I had always known about the Ratha mammoth, but the Leth one was a pleasant surprise. I wouldn't have wasted three days in Fang Cove (love FC, just not for hunting right now) thinking I would have had to go through Ratha and a boat ride back to the mainland.

As it was, it took about 10 min to get back to Riverhaven, so I had a good laugh at myself.

Thanks for all the info!
Re: Ring vs. Portal problems 06/08/2016 05:13 PM CDT
TBH I love the mammoths just as a fast way to get to Ratha. At least it feels a lot faster to be able to take a mammoth from Leth to FC to Ratha than it does to take a boat from Riverhaven to Ratha.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Ring vs. Portal problems 06/08/2016 05:52 PM CDT
Just waiting for the ships seems to take a while, then there is the wait for the ship to leave, and then for it to arrive, the actual travel time on boat isn't terrible to me, but the other two parts seem bad.

And the Mammoths just are GREAT compared to all of that.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
"Phelim, what have I wrought?"
GM NaOHHI
---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Vic
Re: Ring vs. Portal problems 06/08/2016 06:32 PM CDT
>My fault for just not knowing these things.

If you're ever stranded somewhere or just planning your travel itinerary; check out:

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Travel_map

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Ring vs. Portal problems 06/08/2016 07:40 PM CDT
>If you're ever stranded somewhere or just planning your travel itinerary; check out:

That's a pretty sweet little visualization!

Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.