Portals to Fang Cove 01/04/2016 06:09 PM CST
Are the portals closed to Fang Cove? And, if so why? I recently came back in November and reinstated my Premium Account. I was happy to find the portals open so I could purchase a house and hunt on the island. I figured that perhaps since non-premium members can buy houses, etc., that perhaps the estate holders were being given the benefit of Fang Cove 24/7. I hope I am not wrong in that thinking. If the portals are not going to remain open 24/7, please advise so I can make a decision to either cancel premium and downgrade, or just go back to sleep. I'm not paying a Premium fee for a benefit I cannot cannot access on a daily basis. Especially, since there are now f2p accounts and non-Premium accounts can now buy homes. There has to be some be some benefit to being a Premium member and I consider Fang Cove that benefit. That being said, can jumpy jewelry be set to jump to and from Fang Cove because that would solve my problem? If the answer comes back that the portals are closed because people meet up or hand off stuff, punish those people and not the rest of us who enjoy Fang Cove for hunting reasons and the solitude it offers. And now that there is jumpy jewelry available, people can jump to meet each other so what's the difference?

Thank you for your time,

Player Behind Lorwryn
Re: Portals to Fang Cove 01/04/2016 06:25 PM CST
Portals are only open for a few days at the start of the month.

The rest of the time, Fang Cove can be accessed either through an activated estate holder ring or, more commonly, by taking the sea mammoths from Acenamacra or Ratha to Fang Cove.

Moon Mages can also gate you there easily as there's a Grazhir shard there as well.

Given all that, I'd be surprised if you couldn't set JJ there as well.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Portals to Fang Cove 01/04/2016 07:15 PM CST
>Are the portals closed to Fang Cove? And, if so why?

Thayet's (very helpful!) answers aside, the short answer to your question is 'players were told not to abuse it. Players abused it. Portals were closed'.

People were using the portals/island as a staging hub when it was explicitly said it was not one, do not use it as one, etc.

Despite the fact that that's basically what the game very desperately needs.
Re: Portals to Fang Cove 01/04/2016 08:10 PM CST

Thanks for for the answers. Exactly what I thought. Some senior staff or whatever, figure out mechanics are being abused and decide to punish everyone. Makes no sense and it makes no further sense that I continue paying for a premium benefit that I can't "simply" use whenever I like ... like a hunting ground that is premium. Seems F2P is the way to go if you want to get what you pay for.

I'm done.

Player Behind Lorwryn
Re: Portals to Fang Cove 01/04/2016 08:16 PM CST
>Some senior staff or whatever, figure out mechanics are being abused and decide to punish everyone.

I think you're blowing this out of proportion.

You can take a sea mammoth from Leth. It takes, what, 5-10 minutes, round trip. One leaves from Leth, one leaves from Ratha, both go to the island and back. You can get from Leth to the Islands in 10-20 minutes.

The mechanics being abused were the portal mechanics themselves. Players were told, multiple times, to stop using the portals to bypass the game distances (i.e. I'm in Haven, you're in Hibi, let's meet in the portals to sell/heal).

There were, at some point, big plans to make the island itself a hot-spot that would feature a full hunting ladder, so people would just live there. Unfortunately that never happened.
Re: Portals to Fang Cove 01/04/2016 08:55 PM CST
FWIW, the portals are not intended to be the main access point to that area. They're simply a convenience for things like meetings, monthly gift releases, and so on. I.e. the portals are not a feature of the hunting area.

<<Makes no sense and it makes no further sense that I continue paying for a premium benefit that I can't "simply" use whenever I like ... like a hunting ground that is premium.

You can access this hunting area any time you want. Exactly the same way you access any other premium hunting area in the game: by travelling to it.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Portals to Fang Cove 01/05/2016 06:12 AM CST

Sorry to disagree with you, but I'm not blowing this out of proportion. If I go to a F2P account, I get exactly what I pay for when I pay for it. I can buy jumpy jewelry and immediately go anywhere I want to, if I also decide to pay for passports and I can buy a house too. If I stay Premium, I get to take 10-20 minutes to get to an area designed just for Premium accounts, where I did buy a house for which I'm already paying a substantial amount compared to other games and compared to F2P -- and yet I cannot access that house or hunt without adding 10-20 minutes wasted game time to access said house and hunting grounds. Further, if someone or somebodies abuse the game mechanics in Fang Cove, I who did not violate or abuse game mechanics get to pay for that by not having direct easy access. I work for a living and do not always get to play the game with an abundance of time. So now, if I want to go to Fang Cove, I get to add 10-20 minutes riding on an inconvenient smelly mammoth -- all of which I'm still paying for at a high rate for a Premium account versus F2P.

So tell me, do you really think I'm getting what I'm paying for by having a Premium Account? I stayed Premium for a very long time. For a very long time, there were not even monthly meetings, but I hung with it anyways. Because I would be traveling and had a high volume of work to be done in RL, I retired my account for a time. When I came back I was told by friends that things were changing for Premiums, i.e., more meetings, monthly gifts, etc. I was so happy to see Fang Cove portals open and operating in November and all the way through December. That's why I bought a house and started hunting and playing there - because I thought Simutronics finally understood we are paying for Fang Cove and deserve easy access. Now the portals are closed and I'm either going to have to buy jumpy jewelry (if it will even work for Fang Cove) and/or waste time getting there when I have precious little time to play. F2P is looking better all the time here == because I will get exactly what I pay for, unlike a premium account.

So, it stands -- I'm not getting what I paid for -- if F2P can buy what they want to enhance their game experience, why should I have to pay more in Premium fees when I do not have complete and total access to premium benefits?

And this is not some bug or big deal the GMs cannot fix right now. Even if they opened up a single portal from a single area, I would be happy. There is absolutely no reason Fang Cove cannot be opened to premium players all the time. If someone abuses it, bust them. It's common sense -- if you know what is being abused, you know WHO is abusing it.

Lorwryn
Re: Portals to Fang Cove 01/05/2016 06:35 AM CST

You can access this hunting area any time you want. Exactly the same way you access any other premium hunting area in the game: by travelling to it.

No offense but you missed my point completely. Because I have a premium account and because Fang Cove is a premium designed area, I should have direct, easy and convenient access. Isn't that what being a premium player is all about? One of the complaints a while back was about travel time and the time for ferries, barges, etc., was reduced for EVERYONE. Fang Cove is a premium area and should be open to all premium accounts with easy, convenient access. I do not have to ride a mammoth or anything else to get to get anywhere in the game. I can use jumpy jewelry as can everyone else. But if I want to get to Fang Cove -- I have to ride a mammoth or buy some stupid estate holder ring that has a WEEK LONG cool down period or buy jumpy jewelry over and above my premium fees. And why should I, a premium account player, have to buy jumpy jewelry to access a premium designed area?

So given that F2P and standard subscription players can now buy houses, jumpy jewelry, etc. -- exactly what are the benefits for Premium Accounts aside from LTBs that are over a decade old, quarterly meetings versus the original monthly meetings first promised years ago, a few sprinkled events, and an ugly smelly mammoth to waste 10-20 minutes on getting to an island that was designed for Premium players? On and let's not forget, anyone can buy a ticket to Fang Cove and jump through a portal to go play for 1-3 hours.

I realize that the GMs are working on many new things for Premium accounts like updated LTB items, etc. I know they will get this accomplished as "soon" as they can. So let me say that I do appreciate that very much and I'm willing to wait and wait because when these things do come out, I'm sure they will be amazing. However, in the interim, would it really kill the Senior Staff to open up Fang Cove to premium players in a manner that will not take 10-20 minutes to get there? Come on a single portal would fix that.

And just to make this clear, apparently, I'm not the only Premium player who is becoming increasing disgruntled with their premium subscription and starting eyeball F2P.

Lorwryn
Re: Portals to Fang Cove 01/05/2016 06:43 AM CST
<<why should I have to pay more in Premium fees when I do not have complete and total access to premium benefits?

You do. There's nothing anywhere stating that the portals are to remain open 24 hours in order to provide you quick access from anywhere to Fang Cove. You could buy a house on Aesry and utilize a premium hunting area in Mus'pari and there's no obligation that they provide quick access between the two just because they're both premium benefits. If you don't think that that, along with all the other benefits that premium provides, is worth the money then you're free to not pay for it, but you are getting exactly what is advertised.

Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Portals to Fang Cove 01/05/2016 07:20 AM CST
>So tell me, do you really think I'm getting what I'm paying for by having a Premium Account?

No one but you can answer that question. We can point out features to being premium but we cannot tell you if your enjoyment of the features warrants the cost.
Re: Portals to Fang Cove 01/05/2016 08:44 AM CST

So....here is my question.....

The rings have a what, 2-3 day cool down? If you have more than one ring, can they be rotated?

I also understand one must return within 30 min when using a ring? Could not that restriction be removed?

Just sayin......there are some interesting points being made here.

~Gab
Re: Portals to Fang Cove 01/05/2016 09:02 AM CST

Again, you have definitely missed the point. If I want a house on Asery, I buy one. If want easy access, I pay over and above premium fees to acquire jumpy jewelry for quick access depending on the moons. This is open to everyone to do, no matter what type of account they have. I pay premium subscription and yet I do not have easy or convenient access to a premium benefit, i.e., Fang Cove. In what world does that possibly make sense without pointing to some stupid policy that is outdated and changed whenever it suits the management? I should have premium access to Fang Cove. And what is advertised now is not what was originally planned and advertised when I became premium over 15 years ago. We were to have monthly meetings. That stopped years ago totally and completely with no meetings for almost 18 months, so the current advertisement is merely a convenience of what management is now willing to provide. I understand that policy changed out of necessity due to a shortage of staff and the direction Simu was going with planning and implementing 3.0 -- and yet my premium payment did not lower in amount -- we were just supposed to suck it up with promises of a new tomorrow. When Fang Cove was first opened you could go there any time until it was abused by some players. So instead of "some" players receiving punishment "all" premium player received punishment by limited access and yet my premium payment did not get lower in amount and again we were all just supposed to suck it up and move forward.

If you offer a customer a "premium benefit" and then change it so that the premium member is not receiving the full scope of that benefit - well, you are right, and we can agree on this it is time to stop being a sucker blind consumer and quit.

I think I'm going to rather enjoy being a F2P player. Again, because I'll get exactly what I pay for and not some tried old policies that make no sense and benefits that change when someone farts in the wind the wrong way. Plus, think of all the money that stays in my pocket. Now there's a benefit with which I can live.
Re: Portals to Fang Cove 01/05/2016 09:17 AM CST
>So tell me, do you really think I'm getting what I'm paying for by having a Premium Account?

<No one but you can answer that question. We can point out features to being premium but we cannot tell you if your enjoyment of the features warrants the cost.>

I don't know who you mean by "we" but if you work for Simu in any capacity, I would think that the "we" that matters are the people playing the game and paying $40+ bucks a month to pay. And if some of "we" the players (I'm not the only one taking issue with Fang Cove, just the only one brave enough to post evidently) are telling you that "we" are not enjoying the features because they do not warrant the cost -- then if you work for Simu maybe "We" Simu should be concerned and try to figure out how to answer the question as to whether or not the players are happy enough to keep playing and paying $40.00 bucks a month -- maybe that should be figured out before you loose customers and there is no longer a "we" for anyone to worry over anymore - players or employees. It's called Business Administration and Profit Expansion 101.

Because seriously, if you do work for Simu you really need to be concerned that premium costs = happy premium players. Otherwise F2P is all you will have left. Good luck with that.
Re: Portals to Fang Cove 01/05/2016 10:10 AM CST
<< I pay premium subscription and yet I do not have easy or convenient access to a premium benefit, i.e., Fang Cove.
<<If you offer a customer a "premium benefit" and then change it so that the premium member is not receiving the full scope of that benefit

This is the point you're missing. Fang Cove is not supposed to be convenient or easy to access, even from a house. It has never been convenient or easy to access except on occasions when a small portion of it is required for meetings or to ease distribution of a gift that is and always has been easily accessible. The LTB portion of it has always been turned on and off for various reasons over the years when it was still the seacaves, but the hunting areas you are so adamantly decrying as a benefit that you have lost and are being punished over was designed from the beginning to be remote. Period. There have been no changes to any premium benefits, and you are receiving the full scope of the benefit that you have always had.

<<I should have premium access to Fang Cove.

You do. Non-premium members can only access the dock and the astral plane shard. Your proper premium only entrance to the area is there.

<<I think I'm going to rather enjoy being a F2P player.

I suppose I'll be the one to break the news, since you keep looming this empty threat of conversion to F2P over everything. You can't convert to F2P.

This whole thing is rather mind-boggling, to be honest. I am completely unable to understand the level of outrage you are having over the fact that there exists a premium hunting area that isn't within convenient reach of a premium housing area. You're basically one step from rage-quitting over this. What instead should be happening here is that you are posting in the suggestion folder asking for Fang Cove housing to be added or something. I hope that you can take a step back and see this. Until then, I wish you well on your journey.

Re: Portals to Fang Cove 01/05/2016 10:31 AM CST
>>a premium benefit, i.e., Fang Cove.
A portion of Fang Cove is a Premium benefit, the entire island is not Premium-exclusive. As with any housing area, travel TO the housing area is normal. Portals at this time are a convenience for events and special releases, which has been stated already, but it's clear you have no skill at reading comprehension so I'm repeating it in hopes that it'll get through.

>>monthly meetings that stopped years ago totally and completely with no meetings for almost 18 months
K, now I know you're trolling because there are meetings on the calendar for prime estate holder meetings. iirc it was stated that they would be quarterly.

>>and yet my premium payment did not lower in amount
LOL OK. The owner sets the prices. Want to talk to the owner? David Whatley is his name. I hope you don't expect him to care about anything but how much money ends up in his pocket. Honestly, insinuating that in game staff has personally refused to adjust pricing due to policy changes is rather ignorant.

>>I think I'm going to rather enjoy being a F2P player.
K, then do it and shut up already.

tl;dr
Stop whining and acting like any of this is new or specially made just to annoy you. The only thing you're managing to do is post a lot of nonsense that is just showing everyone how ignorant, self-centered, and unappreciative you are. But hey, I'm sure the people that donate their free time really enjoy all the negativity. I'm sure it really fuels them to change things, you know, just for you, right? Get over yourself.
Re: Portals to Fang Cove 01/05/2016 10:44 AM CST

<I suppose I'll be the one to break the news, since you keep looming this empty threat of conversion to F2P over everything. You can't convert to F2P.>

Let me the first to break the news to you that I never once used the word "conversion" to F2p. I'm well aware there is no conversion and that at least does make good business sense. Read more careful and do no assume what I do or do not know.

<This whole thing is rather mind-boggling, to be honest. I am completely unable to understand the level of outrage you are having over the fact that there exists a premium hunting area that isn't within convenient reach of a premium housing area. You're basically one step from rage-quitting over this. What instead should be happening here is that you are posting in the suggestion folder asking for Fang Cove housing to be added or something. I hope that you can take a step back and see this. Until then, I wish you well on your journey.>

Outrage? Why do you think I'm outraged? Because I didn't politely express my complaint and make it all rainbows and unicorns? If you work for Simu then your mind being boggled over a customer being upset (not out raged), is easy explained. I understand you must only have the power to quote policy and procedure and my ever favorite "because that's the way it is so the customer must be the problem" mentality. So you think this is an rage quit instead of an economic decision based on the level of benefits for a premium account? I hope you do not work for Simu, or they are truly doomed with this kind of thinking. The addiction of the game only goes so far when weighed against real life economics and IG benefits derived therefrom.

However, it is my fault for expecting anything to make sense and/or even be considered -- nice suggestion or frustrated complaint ---nothing was going to happen here not even "soon". You just proved that to me, so thank you. That is all.
Re: Portals to Fang Cove 01/05/2016 10:49 AM CST
People who are not outraged don't use the 'I'm leaving and taking my ball home with me' argument, nor do they post multiple paragraph long rants about it. Just saying.

Re: Portals to Fang Cove 01/05/2016 11:04 AM CST

If the only reason you're premium is to access Fang Cove immediately from all major towns, its probably not worth it for you to be premium.

Jump Jewelry is kind of a drag. I bought some when I was stealing in Muspari, but they are attuned to certain moons so you may have to buy multiples if you indeed want instant travel and you'll still be out of luck when all moons are down.

I'm premium because I have multiple characters and guilds, enjoy having multiple homes (and therefor a home all my characters can access in nearly all major areas). There are free alteration sessions in Fang, lots of raffles. Extra type ahead line!! I don't keep most of the gifts, but every once in a while there's something I like. LTB alterations. A normal learning rate, no annoying extra passports to get to different provinces, extended vault and no bank limitations (vs F2P).

If these things aren't important to you, or you want to supplement with microtrans purchases, then great, start f2p account and pay as you go. (I have a f2p account as well). There is nothing wrong with a la cart. For me, the benefits that are available are worth it.

Jalika
Re: Portals to Fang Cove 01/05/2016 11:12 AM CST

<People who are not outraged don't use the 'I'm leaving and taking my ball home with me' argument, nor do they post multiple paragraph long rants about it. Just saying.>

Or maybe people who say "I'm leaving and taking my ball home with me" are just smart enough to know when to quit because complaints/suggestions are now recognized as idle wasted words. And maybe multiple paragraphs are an attempt to explain the depth of what the complaint is all about.

Maybe people who can only quote policy, procedure and "that's the way it is", giving only the advice to make a suggestion due to the nature of thin skin, should not be in any type of customer service on behalf of their employer as nothing of probative value can be offered. Oh wait, you may not be a Simu employee in which case I understand your need to personally attack me -- the signal you've lost a verbal battle.

In that case, I do honestly apologize for having clearly upset you.

Re: Portals to Fang Cove 01/05/2016 11:56 AM CST

<If these things aren't important to you, or you want to supplement with microtrans purchases, then great, start f2p account and pay as you go. (I have a f2p account as well). There is nothing wrong with a la cart. For me, the benefits that are available are worth it.>

Thanks Jalika. I appreciate your reminding me of those other benefits. However, I have to admit the main reason I did come back was because I was told things had changed and the premium account was again worth having, i.e., meetings (which are important to me); changes in the future to LTBs, and Fang Cove. (Old friends will say anything to get their old friends back -- that was my fault for believing. LOL!) I don't play other characters, just the one because my time is limited and having to put up with travel is too annoying, especially when you consider the travel time on ferries and barges was downsized for everyone. But yet, for premium members -- take the mammoth or buy a 1 week cool down ring to get to Fang Cove or buy jumpy jewelry over and above your premium subscription fees. Sorry, that just doesn't sit right for me personally and it is my personal dollars paying for my subscription --- so you are right. DR is not for me anymore.

Get ready for the vault sale! LOL! I'm going to break this addiction for good this time.

Thanks again, you made sense and again, you are right. While I don't think I should be able to access Fang Cove from every major town, I should be able to access it a lot easier by some method other than the methods currently available -- so its not worth it for me to be premium or even bother playing given my limited time.

Lorwryn
Re: Portals to Fang Cove 01/05/2016 12:01 PM CST
I don't think adding some sCoin JJs to FC would be all that terrible of an idea.

I disagree with the argument that FC is diminished because it doesn't have JJs right now, but it wouldn't hurt to add them.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Portals to Fang Cove 01/05/2016 12:44 PM CST
Seems silly to be upset that there's travel time involved to travel near the southeastern border of the game world. It takes longer to get to the far northwestern border iirc (unless you have 1k+ athletics or whatever it takes to cross the desert on foot). Sea Mammoths are faster than any other vessel save ferries. They run like clockwork so you aren't sitting around for hours waiting on them.

There's just too many available travel options to FC to make that the line in the sand imo.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Portals to Fang Cove 01/05/2016 01:16 PM CST

>so its not worth it for me to be premium or even bother playing given my limited time.

Sorry to hear that. I won't try to convince you otherwise, as its your decision and you should be spending time and money on things you enjoy! I understand a limited schedule as I've taken multi year breaks (busy with school) and even now my play time becomes nearly non existent over the summer when my work projects are in full swing. If you change your mind, more than likely we'll all still be here, and there's always the F2P option if you do find yourself with time to kill but don't want to put in a monthly monetary investment.

Jalika
Re: Portals to Fang Cove 01/05/2016 01:20 PM CST
I can see you already made up your mind and thats fine. But I would like to mention that most of the time when you gweth for a moon mage for travel help, there is usually more than one ready and willing to help. Long distance travel is not the issue it used to be.

- Felicini
Re: Portals to Fang Cove ::NUDGE:: 01/05/2016 01:38 PM CST
Hi,

Please address the topic at hand and not each other. Keep the discussion constructive.

Thank you,

Helje
DragonRealms Senior Board Moderator

If you have a question about the forums, please email me Senior Board Moderator Helje at DR-Helje@play.net or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl at DR-Annwyl@play.net
Re: Portals to Fang Cove 01/05/2016 03:00 PM CST
<I can see you already made up your mind and thats fine. But I would like to mention that most of the time when you gweth for a moon mage for travel help, there is usually more than one ready and willing to help. Long distance travel is not the issue it used to be.>

- Felicini

Thank you for that information Felicini. But you are right, I've made up mind because it is a premium payment versus premium benefits issue for me now. Take care.
Re: Portals to Fang Cove 01/05/2016 10:11 PM CST
For what it's worth, I almost never keep a premium subscription because the benefits are terrible. So I agree.

Just like the coin shop. Put stuff worth buying in and I will.
Re: Portals to Fang Cove 01/06/2016 12:11 PM CST
Since it came up over here and I was planning to put a reminder out in this folder anyway. There is a quarterly meeting, and this quarterly meeting is:

Prime Estate Holder's Meeting
Fri, February 12, 8:30pm – 10:30pm
Fang Cove, Fate Fortune's Lane

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Portals to Fang Cove 01/07/2016 08:58 PM CST
A post was hidden

Helje
DragonRealms Senior Board Moderator

If you have a question about the forums, please email me Senior Board Moderator Helje at DR-Helje@play.net or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl at DR-Annwyl@play.net