Door automatically closing in homes, poss bug 04/04/2013 08:10 AM CDT
If I am in a house with someone else and they stay inside while I go outside the door never automatically shuts/locks after I walk out.

It doesn't seem to matter if I unlock/open the door or they do, who owns the house, if I am a guest or not.

The longest I tested the door staying open was about 30 minutes while I was in Mama's weighing stuff.

After I walk back inside the house the door closes itself and locks like normal.

Thanks-Linett
Re: Door automatically closing in homes, poss bug 04/04/2013 08:22 AM CDT
I think this is so they can get out?

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Door automatically closing in homes, poss bug 04/04/2013 09:36 AM CDT
>I think this is so they can get out?

Last time I was in someone else's home, I was able to let myself out even though the door was locked. You can't lock people in your home.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Door automatically closing in homes, poss bug 04/04/2013 05:23 PM CDT
That's a normal mechanic for homes, not a bug.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Door automatically closing in homes, poss bug 04/04/2013 05:38 PM CDT

Okay, so it is normal for the door to never close after I leave the house.

Just making sure, since I didn't apparently state it well, so much for being coherent from work and sneaking online :)

Linett
Re: Door automatically closing in homes, poss bug 04/05/2013 09:45 AM CDT
Ahh. No. Home doors, if left open will automatically shut after a period of time. When do they it usually looks like this.. The door suddenly slams shut! Or something like that, and the doors will lock at the same time. That part is what I meant by a normal home mechanic.

If your open door is never closing, there may be a reason behind it but I do not know enough about homes to say and would defer to our homes guy for the better answer.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Door automatically closing in homes, poss bug 04/05/2013 01:08 PM CDT
Naohi exactly, Linett's seeing something weird in a case specifically where a non guest person is inside one of her account homes and she leaves it with the door opened. Normally it slams shut, but in that case it is not.

Better example:

Account 1 - Player A (1A)
Account 1 - Player B (1B)
Account 2 - Player A (2A)

1A owns the home
1B enters the home and allows 2A to come in.

1B leaves, 2A stays inside. Nobody closes the door. Instead of it normally slamming shut, it stays open.

A bunch of time (5+ minutes) elapses

1B enters the home, joining 2A again without closing the door and the door closes after the normal elapsed time.

I'm pretty sure this is her treehouse on the strand she's talking about since she referenced her mild addiction (appraising and visiting MAMAS).

<<"earning too little skinning experience for a day or so isn't nearly as bad as having a spell that breaks your wings."
Re: Door automatically closing in homes, poss bug 04/09/2013 05:56 PM CDT
Weirdly, the interior was lacking the auto-close mechanics in a key place. It should function the same now -- 60 seconds after anyone leaves the home, the door will auto close, whether someone is still inside or not (you can't be locked IN).

SGM Zadraes
Logistics Lead
Premium Lead
Trader Guild Advocate
Re: Door automatically closing in homes, poss bug 04/09/2013 06:16 PM CDT
Could you please make an LTB doorstop that will stop it from closing unless a PC closes it? I'd buy one for every house I have!
Re: Door automatically closing in homes, poss bug 04/09/2013 06:27 PM CDT
>Could you please make an LTB doorstop that will stop it from closing unless a PC closes it?

Very unlikely. There are security issues with having homes stay opened all the time. Rather than leaving the risk for problems, it's safer to have them auto close.

SGM Zadraes
Logistics Lead
Premium Lead
Trader Guild Advocate
Re: Door automatically closing in homes, poss bug 04/09/2013 11:20 PM CDT
Interestingly, since this was fixed another bug has been introduced. I think it occurs only with another character in the house.

Basically I enter the home, close the door, lock the door then the door slams shut a few minutes later.
Re: Door automatically closing in homes, poss bug 04/10/2013 06:04 AM CDT
It shouldn't be possible, but the home system has made me a liar repeatedly. There's a check to make sure the home isn't already closed before doing any messaging. If you can reproduce it with a closed door, paste the snippet here, please? May help me narrow in on what's causing it.

SGM Zadraes
Logistics Lead
Premium Lead
Trader Guild Advocate
Re: Door automatically closing in homes, poss bug 04/13/2013 09:57 AM CDT

oooh ooooh I know this one!

That happened to me in my tree in Leth, remember Zadraes? And you fixed it!

Hopefully that helps!

Linett
Re: Door automatically closing in homes, poss bug 04/27/2013 02:28 AM CDT
Finally replicated it! This is home owned by a character on a different account.

You walk through the door of a fieldstone cottage.
[xxx's Home]
Walls of grey fieldstone and a polished riverstone floor covered by an intricately patterned dark grey rug rimmed with stylized clouds enclose this small room. In one corner lies a blue suede camel-back sofa, and near the sofa sits a lacquered dragonclaw-foot table on which rests a stack of magic handbooks. A stone fireplace sits beneath a large rosewood-framed mirror with fine scrollwork. The room holds a mild scent of incense. You also see a large oak-framed window, a door and a sapphire-blue plush velvet armchair that is facing the table.
Obvious exits: none.

You close the door.
>
You lock the door.
>

You open the window.
>
You scan the skies for a few moments.
The planet Dawgolesh is unobscured by clouds.
Dawgolesh shines with a cold, white-hot light, a beacon of purity in the deep within the heavens.
You learned something useful from your observation.
Roundtime: 5 sec.
>
The door suddenly slams shut!
Re: Door automatically closing in homes, poss bug 04/28/2013 06:50 PM CDT
Here is another one, in the same home but this time the owner and my character were both present:

xxx unlocks the door.
>
xxx opens the door.
>
xxx walks through the door.
>
>
The door suddenly makes a click sound.
>
You open the window.
>
The planet Dawgolesh is too close to the sun to be properly viewed.
>
You glance outside.
The autumn sky above is a bright, cheery blue.

The following heavenly bodies are visible:
The late afternoon sun is unobscured by clouds.
The planet Verena is unobscured by clouds.
The planet Estrilda is unobscured by clouds.
The planet Durgaulda is unobscured by clouds.
The planet Yoakena is unobscured by clouds.
The planet Penhetia is unobscured by clouds.
Katamba is unobscured by clouds.
Xibar is unobscured by clouds.
Yavash is below the horizon.
>
Yoakena appears as a faint green star, threatening to flicker out of existence at any moment.
>
>
Re: Door automatically closing in homes, poss bug 04/28/2013 07:21 PM CDT

Hmmm ... I just noticed in both cases I opened the window after the door closed. Maybe that has something to do with it. Immediately after the last post I did this to check:

In the Original Home:
[xxx's home]
Walls of grey fieldstone and a polished riverstone floor covered by an intricately patterned dark grey rug rimmed with stylized clouds enclose this small room. In one corner lies a blue suede camel-back sofa, and near the sofa sits a lacquered dragonclaw-foot table on which rests a stack of magic handbooks. A stone fireplace sits beneath a large rosewood-framed mirror with fine scrollwork. The room holds a mild scent of incense. You also see a large oak-framed window, a door and a sapphire-blue plush velvet armchair that is facing the table.
Obvious exits: none
>close door
You close the door.
>lock door
You lock the door.
>open wind
You open the window.

>obs sky
You glance outside.
Thousands of stars twinkle merrily from clear autumn skies.

The following heavenly bodies are visible:
The planet Verena is unobscured by clouds.
The planet Durgaulda is unobscured by clouds.
The planet Amlothi is unobscured by clouds.
The planet Dawgolesh is unobscured by clouds.
The Magpie is unobscured by clouds.
The Wolf is unobscured by clouds.
The Spider is unobscured by clouds.
The Cat is unobscured by clouds.
The Ox is unobscured by clouds.
The Toad is unobscured by clouds.
The Panther is unobscured by clouds.
The King Snake is unobscured by clouds.
The Scales is unobscured by clouds.
The Lion is unobscured by clouds.
The Heart is unobscured by clouds.
The Ram is unobscured by clouds.
The Raven is unobscured by clouds.
The Donkey is unobscured by clouds.
The Giant is unobscured by clouds.
The Shrike is unobscured by clouds.
Katamba is below the horizon.
Xibar is unobscured by clouds.
Yavash is below the horizon.
Roundtime: 18 sec.
>

In my own home:

You close the door.
>
You lock the door.
>o
The world seems a bit more foreboding than it did a moment ago.
You recognize these fading strands of Fate as those that influence your stealth skill.
>
You feel fully rested.
>
You open the window.
>
Yoakena appears as a faint green star, threatening to flicker out of existence at any moment.
>
>
[28-Apr-2013, 6: 15: 00 PM]
>
You feel you have sufficiently pondered your latest observation.
>
You close the window.
>
You open the window.
>
>

So it seems to happen after entering and locking the door, opening the window and observing the sky. If I don't observe it won't happen until I do. Further testing (with a cleric) revealed that it didn't need to be a Moon Mage to cause the effect. Closing and re-opening the window without exiting did not replicate the bug.
Re: Door automatically closing in homes, poss bug 04/28/2013 10:00 PM CDT
Huh. Yeah, I know what's causing that. Interesting. I'll talk to Zadraes.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose