LTB alteration question 01/27/2019 10:48 PM CST
So I've only ever had a single alteration and that was just recently at HE. I'm thinking about picking up and LTB alteration scroll because I'd like to get an alteration done on the weapon I plan on using for a holy weapon on my paladin. My question is regarding the length of descriptions with LTB alterations. In doing the alteration during HE and based on what others have said, you're typically limited to 80 characters for the TAP, 500 characters for the look. However, the LTB alteration info has the following:

8) An alterer has the ABSOLUTE authority to set a limit on description lengths. This varies from alterer to to alterer, so make sure you read his or her sign. The most common limits for premium alterers are:
= Short descriptions (the description people see when they look at you) may not exceed 10 words
= Long descriptions (also called "SHOW") may not exceed 20 words.
= Inscriptions (when you have to read an item) may not exceed 20 words.

I'd just like some clarification before I spend the LTB points as, if I'm limited to 20 words in the LOOK I'm going to have to wait and hope to get a spot with a standard alterer.

Thanks in advance!
Re: LTB alteration question 01/30/2019 01:55 PM CST
Typically the alteration rules are the same for both face-to-face and LTB alterations. The advice given in the LTB verb is older than what's been recorded on Elanthipedia (https://elanthipedia.play.net/Alteration), before more specifics had been given. (Note: I feel it might be useful to update this verb in gameto reflect the current, more precise rules).

Having said that, it wouldn't hurt to fill out your LTB scroll and just try. Generally the GM that works on your LTB scroll will offer changes if your design breaks a rule. I had for one LTB alteration where the GM helped me simplify what I was trying to describe when I was overly wordy. The key is to be willing to flexible.

Plus if you don't like what is suggested, you can reply with changes of your own, change the item you're altering (it's always a great idea to have a backup!), or just toss the scroll. The cost of the scroll/alteration is not applied until the alteration is completed.

Nikpack
Re: LTB alteration question 01/30/2019 09:01 PM CST
Thanks, Nikpack. Being old information is what I'm suspecting too (and also what someone on Discord thought as well) but I was hoping posting about it might help it get updated as well. I've got a few circles to go before I have to worry about doing the holy weapon question so I think I'll take your suggestion and just give it a shot.
Re: LTB alteration question 01/30/2019 10:09 PM CST
You're aiming for no more than 80 characters in the TAP. Built into this is the short description that would show if the item were in a bag and you didn't rummage - so you might be asking for "a bright orange and pink striped shirt with green buttons" and in the shorter description, you'd have "a pink striped shirt".

Once you're into the LOOK of the item, the system has a limit of 511 characters. That has to include all punctuation and double-spaces between sentences. That'd be 20 big words, or a buncha smaller ones. :)

At some point, you might run into an alterer (Premium or anywhere) that has very specific ideas about what a thing would look like - but the majority of folks who are privileged to alter for you are going to be very excited to help you get your idea from your mind into the game - and will use as many words as will fit, if the design really needs them.

Hopefully this helps a little!

Iocanthe
Doing stuff
Re: LTB alteration question 01/31/2019 08:20 AM CST
Definitely clears it up, the whole '20 word' thing is straight from PREMIUM 9 but what you said is what I was assuming/hoping for. Appreciate it, Iocanthe!