Stealing with Triggers 11/04/2010 02:58 PM CDT
This is kind of a random question, but I was wondering if it is still against policy to use triggers to instantly steal from players walking into the room. I know it used to be, because I was personally busted for it along with some other thieves (although we only got warned and told we better stop), but seeing as how that was a long, LONG ass time ago (1998 or earlier since it was before I played Apu), it's very likely that the policy could be totally different now.

I don't particularly care that much, I just got curious since it used to be taboo, but now there's a high level bought Thief blatantly doing it at the Crossing Bank, so it just got me wondering what the rules actually were nowadays

Apu
Re: Stealing with Triggers 11/04/2010 03:15 PM CDT
Triggers? How do you know he/she isn't typing in steal <person's name> the moment they walk into the room? They could have a macro setup for it or something. Or do you mean this character is AFK doing it?

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: Stealing with Triggers 11/04/2010 03:19 PM CDT
As long as they're not afk doing it I don't see where it would be a problem.

The approach time on stealing time nowadays would tend to make those who casually pass through pretty much immune, unless they choose to linger after making a withdrawal or before a deposit. In either case, that's more their fault than an opportunistic thief doing anything wrong.

Ogdaro
"Take chances and see what you can get away with, it only costs you a favor or two if you mess up." -Issus
Re: Stealing with Triggers 11/04/2010 03:37 PM CDT
>>Triggers? How do you know he/she isn't typing in steal <person's name> the moment they walk into the room? They could have a macro setup for it or something. Or do you mean this character is AFK doing it?

Someone typing it in manually wouldn't continue to steal 8 times from me as I walk back and forth east/west with zero coins on me, until I catch them. Also, if they were typing manually, they wouldn't always make one grab the instant I walk in the room and then never steal again until I leave and come back.

>>As long as they're not afk doing it I don't see where it would be a problem.

That's all I was wondering, since this would not be the same policy as back when I played a Thief (which again, was like 12+ years ago, so I wouldn't be surprised if things have changed). I have no reason to suspect that he was AFK, although he obviously wasn't paying a ton of attention if I can so easily trick his script into letting me catch him when he has several hundreds of stealing ranks over my perception

Apu
Re: Stealing with Triggers 11/04/2010 03:52 PM CDT
I thought you couldn't instant steal from anyone anymore.

Player of Drevid and Jhaval

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Barbarian.html

Cylons... why debugging matters.
Re: Stealing with Triggers 11/04/2010 04:12 PM CDT
>Triggers? How do you know he/she isn't typing in steal <person's name> the moment they walk into the room? They could have a macro setup for it or something.

I don't know who Apu is referring to in this case, but several months ago Gybrush was doing this same thing, and Kougen caught him stealing in the time it took me to type "go bank" (I'm not a slow typist).

~ Kougen

You tap Ruea's nose with your willow tree.
Re: Stealing with Triggers 11/04/2010 04:47 PM CDT
I'm not sure how, but I am almost posititve there is a way to instant steal. I've lost coins a few times in the time it took me to go out of the bank and NW with 5,7 on the ten key. That takes like .2 seconds.

~Sulakhan

"Under the sword lifted high, there is hell making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of bliss."

~Miyamoto Musashi
Re: Stealing with Triggers 11/04/2010 05:03 PM CDT
>>I'm not sure how, but I am almost posititve there is a way to instant steal.

There is. I stood at the bank and witnessed it over and over the other night.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Stealing with Triggers 11/04/2010 05:03 PM CDT
With enough skill it's practically instant, I believe.
Re: Stealing with Triggers 11/04/2010 05:26 PM CDT
>>With enough skill it's practically instant, I believe.

Learn something new every day, I honestly had no idea.

Ogdaro
"Take chances and see what you can get away with, it only costs you a favor or two if you mess up." -Issus
Re: Stealing with Triggers 11/04/2010 05:30 PM CDT
Ohh, hmm, that makes sense then. Some guy stole from me last night when I had zero coins and I told them. They pretty much just shrugged.

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: Stealing with Triggers 11/04/2010 05:38 PM CDT
Theft Bots are still "no-nos".

The situation has been remedied.

Solomon

Be our Facebook Pal!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/DragonRealms/60215414412
Re: Stealing with Triggers 11/04/2010 06:21 PM CDT
>>Theft Bots are still "no-nos".

>>The situation has been remedied.

lol whoops, I was just curious, wasn't really trying to get people in trouble or anything.

I guess the policies are still the same though, that answers that

Apu
Re: Stealing with Triggers 11/04/2010 07:54 PM CDT
<<>>With enough skill it's practically instant, I believe.

<<Learn something new every day, I honestly had no idea.

Likewise

Player of Drevid and Jhaval

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Barbarian.html

Cylons... why debugging matters.
Re: Stealing with Triggers 11/04/2010 09:57 PM CDT
<<lol whoops, I was just curious, wasn't really trying to get people in trouble or anything.>>

No one got in trouble.

Solomon

Be our Facebook Pal!
Re: Stealing with Triggers 11/05/2010 12:40 AM CDT
Awesome another way stealing is nerf batted
Re: Stealing with Triggers 11/05/2010 12:42 AM CDT
>>Awesome another way stealing is nerf batted

I know it's just like how I'm not instantly at melee with everything.

"We're not "out to get you," we're here to enhance your playing experience with extreme prejudice.," DR-ARMIFER
Re: Stealing with Triggers 11/05/2010 12:47 AM CDT
Instant melee is different cause you can cause harm to the person...instantly. I am still in the camp of coin/gems not that big a deal. Death costs exp/time/etc. Probably why I rolled a paladin. hoping they get somenifty things since stealing is auto open now after how many years. How about auto open on murder soon or thump or anything that is more harmful to rp?
Re: Stealing with Triggers 11/05/2010 12:58 AM CDT
We were quite literally (and forcefully) told this was mech abuse in 1998, Dunrook.

I think we were even told that having a macro for it was of dubious legality. e.g. press macro get 'steal ' and just tap in the first three of a name real quick, but I can't remember.

As it was, it wasn't really an issue for most Thieves, because Traders were still AFK scripting on the routes, so they were easy pickings.
Re: Stealing with Triggers 11/05/2010 01:09 AM CDT
>>We were quite literally (and forcefully) told this was mech abuse in 1998, Dunrook.

Heh yeah I remember being annoyed by it at the time. I had triggers set up to check an Off Limits list (for fellow thieves, plus Shapeshifter who you sure as hell weren't going to steal from), a Temporary No Steal list (for people I just stole from - clearing them off the list after a few minutes), and a Steal on Sight Repeatedly list (for Traders known to be afk scripting). I don't even see how Simu could tell you're using triggers if you do it right, but I definitely never tempted fate on that one, once they made it clear it wasn't allowed

Apu
Re: Stealing with Triggers 11/05/2010 01:12 AM CDT
<<I don't even see how Simu could tell you're using triggers if you do it right, but I definitely never tempted fate on that one, once they made it clear it wasn't allowed>>

It's really pretty simple. We can show you any text we want you to see. So, it's simply a matter of scrolling your screen with "Bizzlebozzle just arrived" and watching just how fast you try to steal from Bizzlebozzle, who doesn't actually happen to be there with you. After that, seeing just how long it takes you to respond to it is a whole 'nother ball of fun.

Solomon

Be our Facebook Pal!
Re: Stealing with Triggers 11/05/2010 01:14 AM CDT
>>It's really pretty simple. We can show you any text we want you to see. So, it's simply a matter of scrolling your screen with "Bizzlebozzle just arrived" and watching just how fast you try to steal from Bizzlebozzle. After that, seeing just how long it takes you to respond to it is a whole 'nother ball of fun.

Well now that you told us the secret, I'll just add Bizzlebozzle to my Off Limits list, and now I'm unstoppable *Dr Evil Laugh*

Apu
Re: Stealing with Triggers 11/05/2010 01:15 AM CDT
Then we can do all kinds of fun things like:

REPORT just arrived.
If just arrived.
You just arrived.
Are just arrived.
Not just arrived.
Scripting just arrived.

Solomon

Be our Facebook Pal!
Re: Stealing with Triggers 11/05/2010 01:32 AM CDT
>>REPORT just arrived.

Well, I wouldn't do it with triggers these days. Just saying.
Re: Stealing with Triggers 11/05/2010 03:36 AM CDT
<<I had triggers set up to check an Off Limits list (for fellow thieves, plus Shapeshifter who you sure as hell weren't going to steal from)>>

hey, i got a few gems from shapey, back in the day, basically cause that "hand" thingie he had protected his coins but not his gems. not that he didn't catch me, he chased me halfway to theren and back. <and that was before the 5th passage "tunnel" so i was stuck trying to cross the ferry before he got there>

but the main drawback now is the whole "open" thing. oh well.

but never used any sort of macro. i usually missed grabs as often as not, unless the traders <putting the Steal in "steelclaw" clan> were afk and you stalked them.

now they've put the whole "open" thing, so... this thief has retired from pickpocketing.

-player of schvartz-

You've seen life through distorted eyes;You know you had to learn;The execution of your mind;You really had to turn;,the book is read,The end begins to show,The truth is out, the lies are old, But you don't want to know - Black Sabbath

Re: Stealing with Triggers 11/05/2010 03:39 AM CDT
<<REPORT just arrived.
If just arrived.
You just arrived.
Are just arrived.
Not just arrived.
Scripting just arrived.<<

lol. almost as bad as the guy in the early days of TF that named himself "THE". he was damned hard to kill. :-)

You've seen life through distorted eyes;You know you had to learn;The execution of your mind;You really had to turn;,the book is read,The end begins to show,The truth is out, the lies are old, But you don't want to know - Black Sabbath

Re: Stealing with Triggers 11/05/2010 03:45 AM CDT
I stole from Shape once in Leth Deriel and he chased me all the way to Theren. Including a tense ferry ride to the Crossing where we were both on the ferry and he'd keep searching me out, and I'd just unhide and rehide while he was still in RT so he couldn't point.

Good times.

But yeah, I always just assumed stealing via a script with a trigger so you stole instantly as soon as someone entered the room was against policy without ever reading about it. It's kind of common sense.
Re: Stealing with Triggers 11/05/2010 04:11 AM CDT
>>It's really pretty simple. We can show you any text we want you to see. So, it's simply a matter of scrolling your screen with "Bizzlebozzle just arrived" and watching just how fast you try to steal from Bizzlebozzle, who doesn't actually happen to be there with you. After that, seeing just how long it takes you to respond to it is a whole 'nother ball of fun.

lol this is hilarious

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Stealing with Triggers 11/05/2010 04:24 AM CDT
Honestly, I think you were the only Thief who didn't steal from Shape, Apu. He was fairly easy money, and as long as you set up for the grab correctly, there wasn't a whole lot he could do about it. I was particularly fond of camping out on the ferry waiting until I had 17 seconds before it departed for the other side. Steal from him a few times real quick, get caught, bounce to the dock and snicker as he was carried off to the other side.
Re: Stealing with Triggers 11/05/2010 06:41 AM CDT

Ahem.. the olden days of Shapeshifter stealing discussion needs to go to general discussion over in Social side.

This is a policy discussion thread.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Stealing with Triggers 11/05/2010 05:10 PM CDT
It sounds like he had a pretty bad stealing script.

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.