Mark = Consent 03/05/2010 06:40 AM CST
As mark is a preemptive measure to detrimental against against a player, if that player can notice a MARK please grant that person consent on the Marker.
Re: Mark = Consent 03/05/2010 09:14 AM CST
>As mark is a preemptive measure to detrimental against against a player, if that player can notice a MARK please grant that person consent on the Marker.

Heck, let's combine the first strike idea and just have Mark set you to Open. Much simpler that way.

~ Kougen

A shadowling arches through the air, trying desperately to get its wings working before it sails out the window.
Re: Mark = Consent 03/05/2010 09:20 AM CST
>Heck, let's combine the first strike idea and just have Mark set you to Open. Much simpler that way.

Or just have any first-strike pvp action set you to open... Stealing, combat, mark, slips, etc.

I'm all for making someone's PvP status fit their actions.

-pete
Re: Mark = Consent 03/05/2010 09:24 AM CST
Frankly, it would be ridiculous for slip coin to set Consent Open.

...and yet, I think it would be hilariously worth doing that.

The Moose
"My advice? Run to a safe room, then re-roll. It's guaranteed awesome."
Re: Mark = Consent 03/05/2010 09:24 AM CST
Throw perceive in there too.
Re: Mark = Consent 03/05/2010 09:30 AM CST
scout aware
stalk
Re: Mark = Consent 03/05/2010 09:43 AM CST
Slap, thump, gwethsmash...

Random aside, does anyone know if I get consent on a guarded player who calls my bonded spouse something I can't post here without the post being pulled? I thought about breaking an arm or two, but didn't want to risk a report so he got off easy... this time.

Zrxa says, "Vashir is a bad man."
Re: Mark = Consent 03/05/2010 10:04 AM CST
Let's just set everyone to open and be done with it.

Necromancy brings out the Stupid in us all. -Armifer
Re: Mark = Consent 03/05/2010 10:08 AM CST

I'm sensing some sarcasm.

Some constructive discussion would be nice.

Thanks!

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Mark = Consent 03/05/2010 10:21 AM CST
It would be really nice if there was something in PROFILE that would show if you've gained consent against someone if they've done something to you that gives consent mechanically.

Like, say someone slapped me and they are closed. Their profile would then show that I have consent against them. It would last however long is appropriate, (I assume killing me would last longer than stealing, which would last longer than slapping).

Repeated offenses would then set them to guarded, and if they STILL keep doing it, open.

Ways to fail at RP:

Maikime says, "I imagine now that she's pharmed consent Vashir should be here any time now."

Morkim says, "I don't know why. I'm open too."
Re: Mark = Consent 03/05/2010 10:37 AM CST
>Let's just set everyone to open and be done with it.

More and more I think if you act first with any verbs that are conflictual in nature, then you need to get set to open for a period of time, with the time measured by the level of threat implied by the verb.

Another profile enhancement to go along with this would be to indicate your actual setting vs. the forced one.

PvP: Open (Guarded)
or
Pvp: Open (Closed)

vs.

PvP: Open

On top of that, the more you act in a way that gets you set open, the longer it should stick.

Eventually a conflictual Closed character should be forced to Guarded as a default stance and likewise a conflictual Guarded character be set to Open.

-pete
Re: Mark = Consent 03/05/2010 12:25 PM CST
>> Like, say someone slapped me and they are closed. Their profile would then show that I have consent against them.

Stuff like slapping you or calling you a whore is only consent if you tell them to stop repeatedly and they keep doing it.

I hate that GMs let people play policy like this but that is the game we're playing.

Rev. Reene

"Oh, I'm not omniscient -- but I know a lot."
- Mephistopheles, Faust
Re: Mark = Consent 03/05/2010 12:55 PM CST
per news 5 24

>>Any statement, emote or action used in a negative manner against another player has the potential to be considered consent, especially when it is deliberately used to goad the target into a physical encounter. There should be evidence of provocation strong enough to warrant a reasonable person to respond in a negative manner. A single taunt, slap, kick, etc., alone may not be sufficient. However, if a player is repeatedly and openly insulting another player, or kicking, punching, slapping, etc. -- then that person is operating under implied consent.

It says if THEY are doing it repeatedly. It does not say you must warn them or ask them to stop. If someone slaps me, they're probably also doing a number of those other things.

IF that is incorrect, the paragraph above should probably be changed.

Regardless, in general I find that policy is not clear cut enough, and there are often too many grey areas.

Ways to fail at RP:

Maikime says, "I imagine now that she's pharmed consent Vashir should be here any time now."

Re: Mark = Consent 03/05/2010 12:58 PM CST
I (and others) have been told by GMs that you must warn them to stop repeatedly.

Preferably using the WARN verb at some point.

Rev. Reene

- Mephistopheles, Faust
Re: Mark = Consent 03/05/2010 01:01 PM CST
I'm not arguing that. I'm just stating that as someone reading policy, it looks to me like I would have consent. If a GM told me I didn't, even though I was being slapped and kicked and insulted repeatedly because I didn't use a verb that policy does not state that I must use, then that's really confusing and it needs to be made clearer.

A new player to DR or someone who doesn't get into conflicts very often would not know any better.

Ways to fail at RP:

Re: Mark = Consent 03/05/2010 03:22 PM CST
Mark should not grant consent. It doesn't mean you'll be stolen from -- in fact, there's a chance it prevents you from being stolen from, if you're skilled enough to give the Thief a challenge. It also doesn't always grant information that's terribly relevant to stealing.

It's nice to be able to size people up in various capacities, and making Mark grant consent would ruin a lot of that.

>
You're not used to life as a fish, are you?
Re: Mark = Consent 03/05/2010 03:24 PM CST
I still want the ability to measure up the mental acuity of a target for WvW purposes without them knowing. :(

Rev. Reene

- Mephistopheles, Faust
Re: Mark = Consent 03/05/2010 03:45 PM CST
>I still want the ability to measure up the mental acuity of a target for WvW purposes without them knowing. :(

I can never remember -- is MB covered by consent now?

>
Re: Mark = Consent 03/05/2010 03:48 PM CST
As in, does it grant consent? Always did to my knowledge. Any offensive spell cast on someone will give them consent.

Do you need consent to use it? Yes, you do now. You didn't necessarily need consent before.

Rev. Reene

- Mephistopheles, Faust
Re: Mark = Consent 03/05/2010 04:00 PM CST
Aha. MB policy has changed a lot since the last time I messed around with it, apparently.

That was my Moon Mage's version of mark.

>
Re: Mark = Consent 03/05/2010 04:59 PM CST

>>I can never remember -- is MB covered by consent now?

Check out IG News:

News 5 32 Mental Blast and Consent

Regards,

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Mark = Consent 03/05/2010 05:16 PM CST
<<Any spell cast on someone will give them consent.

FTFY.

< You fire an ironwood quadrello at a baby forest gryphon. A baby forest gryphon fails to dodge. The quadrello lands a devastating hit that mashes the gryphon's right eye to pulp with a direct smash to the face, knocking it completely senseless.
Re: Mark = Consent 03/05/2010 05:21 PM CST
I think Mark should be just like Slap. It should grant consent only if done multiple times and/or after someone warn them to stop. First time wouldn't grant consent. For this to happen, there would need to be a check to determine if it can be noticed in the first place.

From my experience, Mark completely eliminated any real risk for Thieves in regards to PC stealing and fighting. The day it was released was the first day that I didn't notice a Thief steal from me ever again (outside of friends goofing). Not one Thief has ever started a fight with me since either.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Mark = Consent 03/05/2010 06:05 PM CST
>From my experience, Mark completely eliminated any real risk for Thieves in regards to PC stealing and fighting. The day it was released was the first day that I didn't notice a Thief steal from me ever again (outside of friends goofing). Not one Thief has ever started a fight with me since either.

Yeah, I don't really like it for PvP.
Re: Mark = Consent 03/05/2010 07:49 PM CST
<<Any spell cast on someone will give them consent.

Exactly, so this should set you Open too.

~ Kougen

A shadowling arches through the air, trying desperately to get its wings working before it sails out the window.
Re: Mark = Consent 03/05/2010 08:06 PM CST
Profiles clearly mean nothing {policy wise} when closed peeps can attack open peeps without repercussion from that one engagement.

I don't bother looking any more.

< You fire an ironwood quadrello at a baby forest gryphon. A baby forest gryphon fails to dodge. The quadrello lands a devastating hit that mashes the gryphon's right eye to pulp with a direct smash to the face, knocking it completely senseless.
Re: Mark = Consent 03/05/2010 09:50 PM CST
>>I don't bother looking any more.<<

I've never bothered looking in the first place. Not even once.

<<DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG. >>

You flat out, absolutely, 100% have no idea what you're talking about.

Solomon
Re: Mark = Consent 03/05/2010 11:41 PM CST
>Profiles clearly mean nothing {policy wise} when closed peeps can attack open peeps without repercussion from that one engagement.

That's a very one-sided concern.

While it is indeed possible it may be abused in that fashion, it is just as easily abused the other way as you wanted if closed meant you can't engage in conflict.

Just because someone stated the PREFERENCE to not engage in conflict, should not automatically become the equivalent of holding a big neon sign saying "HEY! Harass me all you want because the only thing I will do is to repeatedly ask you nicely to stop no matter what you do!"
Re: Mark = Consent ::NUDGE:: 03/06/2010 07:53 AM CST

Gang,

This one's about Mark, not profiles.

Kindly stay on topic or let's consider this one done.

Thanks!

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

Re: Profiles... Not Mark = Consent anymore. 03/06/2010 10:52 AM CST
<<That's a very one-sided concern.

If we have to wait for old-school consent anyways, then what did profile actually do? Nothing for those so inclined. Profiles should not have anything to do with PvP, because they don't mean jack.

<<it is just as easily abused the other way as you wanted if closed meant you can't engage in conflict.

I don't want that, I want people to simply play the game and accept what happens as part of the game. I think the profile system is less than useless for PvP. I think it provides a requirement for more GM involvement when people with differing settings get it on. I think the system (for PvP) should be unceremoniously dumpstered or ignored.

Re: Profiles... Not Mark = Consent anymore. 03/06/2010 11:49 AM CST
>>I think the profile system is less than useless for PvP.

Eh, I disagree. I've been in PvP situations where the profile system helped greatly.

Don't confuse a lot of whining/misunderstanding/thick-headedness on these message boards with the usefulness of the profile system.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Profiles... Not Mark = Consent anymore. 03/06/2010 12:05 PM CST
>Don't confuse a lot of whining/misunderstanding/thick-headedness on these message boards with the usefulness of the profile system.

This. The profile system is very useful. There are some useless people who render it less effective than it could be, but on the whole it's a net gain, IMO

How blessed are some people, whose lives have no fears, no dreads, to whom sleep is a blessing that comes nightly, and brings nothing but sweet dreams. -Bram Stoker's Dracula
Re: Profiles... Not Mark = Consent anymore. 03/06/2010 02:10 PM CST
<<The profile system is very useful

We'll disagree. If I need consent to attack another character, I'll wait for it, or escalate it myself (read: give them consent and see what they do), without ever looking at profile.

<<There are some useless people who render it less effective than it could be

The system is inherently flawed. That has nothing to do with the people using it.

An open cannot CvC a closed/guarded except when there is little chance of report or consent {by the original rules} is present. A closed/guarded can do whatever they want to an open. That's a pretty big durrrrr.

Re: Profiles... Not Mark = Consent anymore. 03/06/2010 02:21 PM CST
>>We'll disagree. If I need consent to attack another character, I'll wait for it, or escalate it myself (read: give them consent and see what they do), without ever looking at profile.

What if you plan to sneak attack a rival without consent? Or you're playing an evil character and wish to wipe someone out since they're protecting another character without consent?

Checking someone's profile and seeing that they're Open gives you the green light, does it not? If they're not Open, then you have a red light.

If someone's Open, it provides a bigger variety of RP opportunities and quickly seeing it makes everything more smooth. I'd rather not go:

ooc Slaris Hey, my character is going to try to sneak and attack yours in 30 minutes since yours is part of a group that mine has been rivaling. Is that ok with you?

-GM Abasha
Re: Profiles... Not Mark = Consent anymore. 03/06/2010 02:48 PM CST
<<green

I'm not arguing that.

<<red

This is the part I think is a durr. Then again, I'm really looking at this from the 'I want|think|believe I am justified' p-o-v. It's not like I'm walking through rats ganking people. I'm responding to a gweth, or a comment, or something and either rolling with it, or escalating it.

<<ooc Slaris Hey, my character is going to try to sneak and attack yours in 30 minutes

We used to do this all the time back in the day. It made things non-personal and character specific. That's something I've observed many people having trouble with separating the actions against their character vs actions against that character BECAUSE IT'S THEIRS. I'm guilty of it myself at times.

Profile comments will never replace that.

Re: Profiles... Not Mark = Consent anymore. 03/06/2010 03:01 PM CST
>>We used to do this all the time back in the day.

Ewwww

-GM Abasha
Re: Profiles... Not Mark = Consent anymore. 03/06/2010 03:47 PM CST
>If someone's Open, it provides a bigger variety of RP opportunities and quickly seeing it makes everything more smooth. I'd rather not go:

>ooc Slaris Hey, my character is going to try to sneak and attack yours in 30 minutes since yours is part of a group that mine has been rivaling. Is that ok with you?

This.

I'm fine with OOCing if it seems like the other party is taking it personally or it seems like they are chalking a good conflict up to griefing, but Open pretty much tells me that this is someone who is going to roll with the punches and play it out from their end too rather than hit the report button and whine.

The problem with guarded is that it implies that the RP related to conflict has to happen before the conflict not as a result of it.

-pete
Re: Profiles... Not Mark = Consent anymore. 03/06/2010 04:09 PM CST
The aversion people have in this game to discussing a situation OOCly or even asking permission to do something to another person's character is mindboggling.

Perhaps I'm just spoiled by other MU*s where this is not only common but standard etiquette.

Rev. Reene

- Mephistopheles, Faust
Re: Profiles... Not Mark = Consent anymore. 03/06/2010 04:25 PM CST
<<I'm fine with OOCing if it seems like the other party is taking it personally

You don't know until they spaz or report though.

<<The aversion people have in this game to discussing a situation OOCly or even asking permission to do something to another person's character is mindboggling.

Yes. This. There's no guessing involved. Like playing with closed (well, ok, not much guessing required here) or guarded. Just ask, save everyone the trouble, and nobody gets their text in a knot.