Empaths and Consent 07/04/2009 02:03 AM CDT
Guy asks, "May I be healed?"
Empath says, "Sure, I'll heal you for a gold."
Guy says, "Okay, that's fine."
Guy gets healed, then runs off without paying.

So the guy agrees to pay X for Y, then runs away with Y without paying X. Consent?

Guy asks, "May I be healed?"
Empath says, "Sure, I'll heal you for a gold."
Guy says, "Okay, that's fine."
Empath starts to heal Guy.
OtherEmpath starts to heal Guy.
OtherEmpath exclaims, "No! I will heal you for free!"

Thus depriving Empath of both experience and custom, in a similar fashion to killing someone's mobs. Consent? Especially if Empath asks OtherEmpath once or more to stop? In this case, it wouldn't simply be an Empath accidentally healing someone's patient unknowingly, but a deliberate act by the second Empath to attempt to deprive the first Empath of experience and money.

-- Player of Szrael --

Come to the First Empath Union Meeting, Sunday July 19th at 7PM EST on the Jolly Roger, which will be moored to the Skirr docks in Crossing.
Re: Empaths and Consent 07/04/2009 02:05 AM CDT
lawl @ the thought
Re: Empaths and Consent 07/04/2009 02:40 AM CDT
1. maybe
2. lol no
Re: Empaths and Consent 07/04/2009 03:30 AM CDT
>So the guy agrees to pay X for Y, then runs away with Y without paying X. Consent?

* You scammed me out of 4000 plats!
YES -- It's consent. If you think that you're slick for tricking another player out of some significant coin and/or that special item, please do not be surprised if they decide to take it out of your hide in repayment. Scamming other players out of their coin or items DOES place you under implied consent, do so at your own risk.

Seems like it SHOULD be.
Re: Empaths and Consent 07/04/2009 07:52 AM CDT
1, yes, but you'd be better off asking for payment in advance.

The undead hordes would like to take this moment to remind you that they are quite happy to eat your brains so that you may test new depart.Please consider it.Hugs and kisses, Team Necro.
Re: Empaths and Consent 07/04/2009 08:26 AM CDT
>>YES -- It's consent. If you think that you're slick for tricking another player out of some significant coin and/or that special item, please do not be surprised if they decide to take it out of your hide in repayment. Scamming other players out of their coin or items DOES place you under implied consent, do so at your own risk.

"Stealing" someone's patient is not a scam

Cute verbs and speaking from hiding are excellent ways to catch a lightning bolt in the face regardless of mystical ninja abilities.

-Armifer
Re: Empaths and Consent 07/04/2009 08:33 AM CDT
Claiming you'll pay for something and then running off once you get the item is, though. That something in this case being healing.

-=Issus=-
Re: Empaths and Consent 07/04/2009 08:37 AM CDT
i think the "scam" post was in the case of #1, where the patient promised to pay but didn't.

stealing someone elses patient is more like someone starting hunting in the same room you're in. although that area is a bit grey, because it is acceptable to MOST for people to fight in the same room if it is an "invasion".

In the second case, its more like stores competative pricing unless you already have an "agreement" or "contract" with the "customer". Although if you had already started healing that is an implied contract. Now all we need is for Elanthian courts to settle civil matters and not just criminal court. :-)

<why elanthia doesn't have a lawyers guild - they'd need more stealing than thieves.....>

The undead hordes would like to take this moment to remind you that they are quite happy to eat your brains so that you may test new depart.Please consider it.Hugs and kisses, Team Necro.
Re: Empaths and Consent 07/04/2009 12:07 PM CDT
>> And neither would it be a legit reason because they didn't pay you after healing.

For now I think I'll reserve the right to return the wounds in the event of non-payment. I think that's pretty fair.

-- Player of Szrael --
Re: Empaths and Consent 07/04/2009 02:57 PM CDT
>>For now I think I'll reserve the right to return the wounds in the event of non-payment. I think that's pretty fair.

Ten times over, even.

SEND[Bramoir] Okay, you are all set, just make sure you use your name for the powers of good okay?
Re: Empaths and Consent 07/04/2009 11:09 PM CDT
>>So the guy agrees to pay X for Y, then runs away with Y without paying X. Consent?

Yes, refer to the scamming policy for more details. Scamming in and of itself is not against (mech abuse/bug abuse/harassment/disruption) policy, but it does grant consent if noticed. The key point to pay attention to here is whether you were negotiating in good faith or being snarky/unserious. If there's no clear indication of your sincerity, then there's not really any indication they were deliberately scamming you and therefore...you're screwed.

>>Thus depriving Empath of both experience and custom, in a similar fashion to killing someone's mobs. Consent?

Yes, as indicated. An obvious agreement between two distinct parties was reached and even acted upon, which was then interrupted by an uninvolved third party. It really doesn't matter if it was deliberate or not (ie, AFK concerns don't necessarily mean some other empath is out to mess with Szrael or the Union).

This concern is a larger grey area, though, because of the way players tend to ask for/respond to stuff in terms of "the room" instead of a specific target. If the requests and responses don't line up in such a way that it's obvious that two parties are talking specifically to each other, there's no patient-stealing going on and therefore no possible rights to consent.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: Empaths and Consent 07/05/2009 11:04 PM CDT
1) No.. keyword in the "scamming" clause is significant. Since the example talks about 4000 plats, 1 gold would not be significant.

2) No.

>stop j'loing up the thread

>~Arwinia
Re: Empaths and Consent 07/05/2009 11:25 PM CDT
>No.. keyword in the "scamming" clause is significant. Since the example talks about 4000 plats, 1 gold would not be significant.

If an Empath enters into a verbal contract with a client, the closing terms of said contract are necessarily SIGNIFICANT! It doesn't matter if the verbal contract asks for just one silly copper! If this is not true, then NO value is significant because significance is derived from player perception! Don't latch onto some ludicrous example from a purposely exaggerated article which only serves to extricate the GMs from an endless series of whatifs (read: this whole thread).
Re: Empaths and Consent 07/05/2009 11:30 PM CDT
>> Since the example talks about 4000 plats, 1 gold would not be significant.

All of the examples used in that NES document are similarly hyperbolic. I really highly doubt that you actually need to meet a minimum of 4000 plat to pursue consent.

Rev. Reene

Reene: I WILL BECOME MINILYRAS!
Devan: ... I thought you already were.
Re: Empaths and Consent 07/05/2009 11:46 PM CDT
>>All of the examples used in that NES document are similarly hyperbolic. I really highly doubt that you actually need to meet a minimum of 4000 plat to pursue consent.

You can ignore the number.

It doesn't change the wording though which says that it should be significant. I don't know what the GMs consider significant. I, personally, wouldn't count 1 gold as significant.

But they added the wording so that people wouldn't try killing over a copper. But what they cap at insig is probably up for interpretation.
Re: Empaths and Consent 07/05/2009 11:53 PM CDT
>don't know what the GMs consider significant. I, personally, wouldn't count 1 gold as significant.

As I said, I consider the significance to be the agreement on the contract. Not the value of the contract. Otherwise we can initiate the nightmare of determining which level of coinage is exempt from thievery-granted consent. A reasonable man sees thievery and reneging on the same level. A fastidious man finds reneging to be worse.
Re: Empaths and Consent 07/05/2009 11:55 PM CDT
Intent matters.

I think the intent of an Empath killing someone for stiffing them on agreed-upon payment is pure, policy-wise. It does not violate the spirit of the policy as it is written, in my opinion, and that is what should matter.

Unfortunately, as someone else already pointed out, it probably depends on which GM you get as well.

Rev. Reene

Reene: I WILL BECOME MINILYRAS!
Devan: ... I thought you already were.