Droughtmans and no stealing 03/23/2020 10:30 PM CDT

So maybe this is a topic that could fit in a number of different folders.

Can we please have the decision to make player stealing safe in the MT rooms removed.

I know this can be a topic that can raise vastly different opinions.

While player stealing does not suit everyone. It does suit people, and they enjoy it. They use it for what ever reason they like, and it is a mechanic of the game that has been around since DR started. It is not a system that has been recently introduced nor is it a system that through mechanics people are at the mercy of. There are numerous mechanics put in place where players can both inhibit being stolen from and mechanics for players to take action and revenge.

I understand that there are players that wish to not be involved with this type of mechanic what so ever, But in limiting this, and playing toward those players, you are taking away something from another group of players.

Yes this is just one other room that is made safe, against the multitude of rooms that are still open from stealing. But, making this decision that favors those that have a grievance toward this kind of playing has a flow on effect towards the expectation of what people want from policy and behaivor from other players. There have been countless nerf's to systems over the years and this does shape the mindset of players for the negative.

I would have very much liked a more open approach to this change in mechanics and for it to be suggested to the community before it was just knocked on the head. Not unlike in discord when we are asked what we would like to see more of from MT items.

And most of all, this nerf is taking away a RP opportunity for me, and after all i still hold the belief that RP should come before anything in DR.

Rifkinn
Re: Droughtmans and no stealing 03/24/2020 12:26 AM CDT
lol

Given the nature of this suggestion, I am going to assume that A) you are scripting Droughtman's or liberal use of auto-triggers and B) your stealth skill is so ridiculously high that in a PvP environment, you just wanna have the extra fun of griefing targets who could never hope to spot you.

I'd normally say hard no for any sort of theft in a paid event/festival but given Droughtman's is a PvP event I wouldn't personally mind, but I would disagree heavily that it, er, "enriches the roleplaying experience."
Re: Droughtmans and no stealing 03/24/2020 12:43 AM CDT

>>you just wanna have the extra fun of griefing targets who could never hope to spot you.

Im just going to politely ask, at the very least for the sake of conversation.... that none of this has anything to do with griefing. And on scripting for that matter, None of the stealing that happened that bought about these complaints and consequences was scripted.

I know its very very hard for some people to have a worth while debate when giving up their 'goto' rebuttal on any player that likes conflict RP, but, you know, entertain me.

Rifkinn
Re: Droughtmans and no stealing 03/24/2020 08:54 AM CDT

>>lol

>>Given the nature of this suggestion, I am going to assume that A) you are scripting Droughtman's or liberal use of auto-triggers and B) your stealth skill is so ridiculously high that in a PvP environment, you just wanna have the >>extra fun of griefing targets who could never hope to spot you.

>>I'd normally say hard no for any sort of theft in a paid event/festival but given Droughtman's is a PvP

Ah and there is the problem. Instead of interacting you just 'assume'. This is the prime failure of DR since the implementation of 3.0. Game caters way too much on player 'feelings'. It's a game, play it.

A. the game has no clear vision which means each GM pushes their own agenda, in this case stealing = bad must turn off because players stand around with too many plats and dont know how to close gem pouches.

B. It is a core mechanic of the game which an ENTIRE GUILD was built on. Doesn't matter if you don't like it, it's a fundamental part of the game.

C. Is this game's role playing only about fairies and rainbows now? Or, is it possible that people like you don't want to be bothered in the slightest. Or, even worse, want the game to fit their 'vision' of what DR should be.

Hard to feel bad when avoiding stealing is a simple >Deposit All >Close gem pouch. Nah lets whine about it.

~Snowflake Realms.
Re: Droughtmans and no stealing 03/24/2020 10:33 AM CDT
An entire guild was based on? FFS an entire breaking an entering system was just introduced for us.

I am absolutely floored that with everything going on in the world, I am flooded on Discord, Reddit and Forums with the same person selfishly bitching and moaning about not being able to camp in a paid event and steal from people.
Re: Droughtmans and no stealing 03/24/2020 11:22 AM CDT
Investigation revealed that the Droughtman's Maze area was not converted to match our other MT Event prize/recovery/gathering areas, at which you cannot steal from other characters.

This is a position I feel is necessary and fair, because these event areas should be consistent. Also, people are spending real money on these events on top of their normal subscriptions. Corn Maze will also be receiving this update.

Protecting your coins, gems, etc outside the MT area will still be up to each individual player. As of now, gems awarded as prizes for MT events cannot be stolen by another character, and this is also intentional.

~ L
Re: Droughtmans and no stealing 03/24/2020 11:51 AM CDT

Lets go ahead and just turn off stealing from players all together. That way people wont be let down when mechanics of the game are changed randomly to please specific people. This will also make those that are afraid of player interactions feel more safe in the realms.
Re: Droughtmans and no stealing 03/24/2020 12:10 PM CDT

>As of now, gems awarded as prizes for MT events cannot be stolen by another character, and this is also intentional.

So, from now on, people can walk around with their rare gems in their backpack unprotected and just have no worries?

If so, that's... really a huge blow to thieves.

Why does that guild exist again?
Re: Droughtmans and no stealing 03/24/2020 12:55 PM CDT
>So, from now on, people can walk around with their rare gems in their backpack unprotected and just have no worries?

MT gems, specifically, yes. Would you want your backstabbing weapon you paid $20 for stolen?

>Hard to feel bad when avoiding stealing is a simple >Deposit All >Close gem pouch. Nah lets whine about it.

There are 10,000 other rooms you can steal from, go enjoy them. Paid quest areas have always had anti-theft protection, I'm not sure why this is shocking to you.

There are no legitimate reasons to want this to exist besides griefing and trolling.
Re: Droughtmans and no stealing 03/24/2020 01:09 PM CDT

>>There are no legitimate reasons to want this to exist besides griefing and trolling.

profit

Lets also completely forget that there are npc creatures that can steal your items from you while hunting i guess. The objective when facing adversity in a game should always be to find a way to work around it, and not expect the developer to make it more comfortable when there are functioning mechanics to do so. If the mechanics were there for someone to steal your MT weapon i would also support it. There are means to protect those items in game as well.
Re: Droughtmans and no stealing 03/24/2020 01:32 PM CDT

If my backstabbing weapon could be stolen, I'd keep it in a closed container. Because I'm smart and take advantage of the existing mechanics already in place to make stealing not a viable option.
Re: Droughtmans and no stealing 03/24/2020 01:42 PM CDT

Since we are on the subject. Is it possible to block all stealing/PVP combat in repair areas and gathering places? As a long time player I've attempted to thwart these masked villians and their agenda. These who have taken my coins, gems and stabbed me in the back. My livelihood is at stake to the point I cant even get my armor/weapons repaired or ask for a heal without being oppressed by these, horrible, horrible people!
Re: Droughtmans and no stealing 03/24/2020 01:48 PM CDT

I had my Pasabas grave robbed by a Necromancer.

1. Good on him, he got one up on me. (the filth gotta get something right)
2. It was my actions that got me into that situation in the first place
3. It opened up, through mechanics, ways for me to act toward them in the future.
4. For that moment, i lost, but ive had wins in the past, stuff just balances out sometimes.
5. I learnt from that incident and have taken steps to ensure that cant happen again.
6. I was happy that that player got a win and a story to tell.
7. I had a lesson in humility.
8. I learnt ways to deal with my humility and the embarrassment i initially felt.

I could go on.

Rifkinn
Re: Droughtmans and no stealing 03/24/2020 11:23 PM CDT

> MT gems, specifically, yes. Would you want your backstabbing weapon you paid $20 for stolen?

Apples and oranges. On one hand, you have gems which are high-value plat vehicles or alteration fodder, found in incidental pools. On the other, you have something you actually spend money to get (end loot) and use on a regular basis. One should be steal-able regardless of source. The other is not.

I agree the prize area should be no-steal. Otherwise, it's just preying on the people who assume it's like the rest of the events and fests. You're safe inside. The rare gems themselves should be fair game on the outside, if not protected.
Please Don't Nerf the Thieves 03/25/2020 03:45 PM CDT
https://www.reddit.com/r/dragonrealms/comments/fowcvy/please_dont_nerf_the_thieves/

I saw that one of the GMs mentioned that "LyneyaToday at 6:48 AM I've said before that I don't like PVP stealing personally. The Thief guild is a valid role in our game, and they need to be able to steal. That being said, if I can get creature stealing implemented, pvp stealing will probably go away. I feel like this is a fair trade and still allows thieves to be thieves. Being flagged open might override that."

This leaves me kind of hoping creature stealing doesn't get implemented as stealing was always kind of a vital part of the game. Personally, I disagree with the idea that it's a fair trade because the possibility of stealing from players was always one of the perks of joining the thieves guild, just like healing is to empaths, resurrection is to paladins, porting is to mages, and pets are to rangers and warmies. Stalking and stealing from a real player is very exciting, while stealing from NPCs is quite a different experience. This kind of freedom, including the possibility of a pvp engagement at any time, has always added to the allure of Dragonrealms.

I understand there may be etiquette concerns as it is certainly rude behavior, but I feel like its noteworthy that this is a roleplaying game; Also that losing a few plats is not enough of a cause to guarantee a pvp incident. Furthermore, I believe that pvp stealing is a bit of a misnomer as only the option to engage becomes available.
I agree that stealing is a valid role in this game, as it has been for the past 24 years. I believe nerfing it reduces its role in the game to solely that of a grind.

May God bless.
Re: Please Don't Nerf the Thieves 03/25/2020 03:49 PM CDT
Long time thief player here - stealing has never been an integral part of DR.

It has always been a power play, mostly about being able to pick the perfect target (with or without triggers) through stealth and mark, or simply being high level and punching down, and the only defense the target gets is a purely passive one, in that they get to hope their ranks win against your ranks - except the stealer gets to buff and pick.

Passive no-reaction interaction isn't fun or engaging, any more than having a GM drive-by-kill you would be. Any engagement which depends on stealing for RP could be conducted just as well through other means.

At the root of it, stealing from players is taking time and resources from them with no remuneration or consideration. They generated those resources, using their time. Now you're taking it from them.
Re: Droughtmans and no stealing 03/25/2020 04:21 PM CDT
>Apples and oranges.

And this is where we hard disagree. A MT item is a MT item. Some people like me get weapons with their RL money, some people get alteration fodder. They still paid RL money for it, and it shouldn't be stealable.
Re: Droughtmans and no stealing 03/26/2020 02:23 PM CDT
>>And this is where we hard disagree. A MT item is a MT item. Some people like me get weapons with their RL money, some people get alteration fodder. They still paid RL money for it, and it shouldn't be stealable.

Point of clarification needed. Are you saying that I didn't spend RL money for my premium subscription so I shouldn't be stolen from? Maybe make it so that F2P thieves can't steal from others, but any subscriber is paying RL money too.

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!

Barbarian Guild Suggestions
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4L5hAxR1-VLDegDNZBIhGdo5bMgnCtm84Icm2E0utU/edit#gid=0
Re: Droughtmans and no stealing 03/27/2020 09:51 AM CDT
>>Ah and there is the problem. Instead of interacting you just 'assume'. This is the prime failure of DR since the implementation of 3.0. Game caters way too much on player 'feelings'. It's a game, play it.

i think it's fair that all sides ask for what they want, neither side is necessarily right in asking to go either direction but I think we all understand that play styles differ. i don't enjoy being robbed because in zero instances in the 2.5 decades I've been playing has any thief ever asked to RP before they stole to make sure the experience was enjoyable for all involved

>>A. the game has no clear vision which means each GM pushes their own agenda, in this case stealing = bad must turn off because players stand around with too many plats and dont know how to close gem pouches.

this game has always been at the whim of the GMs and product developer, this has not changed and while, as players, we can try to influence it, ultimately we can only vote with the wallet. it also seems silly that because someone forgets to type "tie pouch" you feel entitled to try and take their stuff

>>B. It is a core mechanic of the game which an ENTIRE GUILD was built on. Doesn't matter if you don't like it, it's a fundamental part of the game.

I feel like this is a bit of a misleading statement. Stealing from players has not taught enough to sustain your guild advancement for.. decades. You're welcome to go steal from shops and now you have B&E, please take advantage of both of those systems

>>C. Is this game's role playing only about fairies and rainbows now? Or, is it possible that people like you don't want to be bothered in the slightest. Or, even worse, want the game to fit their 'vision' of what DR should be.

I think it all falls down to this, if all you're going to do is type >steal name, I have zero interest in interacting with you, this is not RP, it's game mechanics and most of the time used for griefing. A theft done right is something that both players should be on board with happening, set up in OOC whispers prior to it happening otherwise it is no different than >slice name. Please stop defending this outdated mechanic that should have been killed a long time ago under the guise of "it provides interaction and enriches the environment" because it does not in 99.99% of the cases

>>Hard to feel bad when avoiding stealing is a simple >Deposit All >Close gem pouch. Nah lets whine about it.

you know very well this is not always an option or is your suggestion really to go deposit all loot between every mob you kill? also why is it your position that this is whining but asking for the reverse is not? or did you just not call out the other?

Damian, a voice from the distant and long-forgotten past.
Re: Droughtmans and no stealing 03/27/2020 12:26 PM CDT
>>it is no different than >slice name

Exactly. >slice name, >steal name, >gwethsmash name, all provide consent. I'm still not quite understanding what people's beef is with player stealing. It's been part of the game forever and has been on the down curve of being done over the years. I think there are much more important things that could/should be focused on from a game dev perspective as there are IG mechanics to protect yourself from being stolen from for the most part.

I train as a barbarian so I can smashface anyone that messes with me. In the words of the Indian Chief from Peter Pan, "Sometimes you win, sometimes we win." Stealing from players is exactly the same as PVP combat in my opinion. If you are the outclassed, take precautions. If you are the outclasser, take precautions.

The GMs already stated they fixed the MT area to align with other MT events. This is becoming a moot point.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4L5hAxR1-VLDegDNZBIhGdo5bMgnCtm84Icm2E0utU/edit#gid=0
Re: Droughtmans and no stealing 03/27/2020 07:34 PM CDT
>Exactly. >slice name, >steal name, >gwethsmash name, all provide consent.

Stealing is the one which is passive and instantly resolved.

If someone attacks me, it engages a different set of policy. Often times, 'unconsented' PVP will get them a talking to, because you're stealing player time and resources (exp earned, loot, favors, etc.). It can lead to RP. Smashing at least requires participation - I have to have chatted in a while.

Stealing is passive. You either win or lose, and basically stay hidden the whole time. It is by design a no-interaction system. It's PVP where one side gets to choose every advantage and the other gets, not to put too big a pin on it, ambushed, and their only defense is 'hope you spent enough time collecting rocks'.

If it was more interactive, or didn't actually remove player coins/gems, I'd be on board with it.

I don't see particularly much difference between people using orbs, gas traps, zombies, etc. to bait/kill people, and thieves. I went out and gathered resources, and removing them invalidates my time spent. It's really that simple.
Re: Droughtmans and no stealing 03/28/2020 12:01 PM CDT

Here's a crazy idea. What if player stealing was just tied to your PVP stances, and what if there was a mechanical reason to encourage players to be in a more approachable stance? Best of both worlds.

PvP Closed: Default - can't be stolen from since stealing is an inherent PvP action. 0% xp bonus.

PvP Guarded: You can be stolen from. To reward your willingness to participate in PvP, you get a 5% xp bonus.

PvP Open: You're fodder. You get a 10-15% xp bonus, up to 1000 ranks.
Re: Droughtmans and no stealing 03/29/2020 06:04 AM CDT
>Point of clarification needed. Are you saying that I didn't spend RL money for my premium subscription so I shouldn't be stolen from? Maybe make it so that F2P thieves can't steal from others, but any subscriber is paying RL money too.

I don't think any clarification is needed, I clearly referenced microtransaction items, specifically.
Re: Droughtmans and no stealing 03/29/2020 06:37 AM CDT
I don't think the GMs are going to hand out a blanket 10% exp penalty for not wanting to get insta-ganked by not being pvp open.

That's a deliberate mis-characterization but it's also how 99% of the game would view it - lack of a bonus is the same as a penalty.
Re: Droughtmans and no stealing 03/29/2020 12:45 PM CDT
>>I don't think any clarification is needed, I clearly referenced microtransaction items, specifically.

Well then we strongly disagree. MT vs Subscription is moot after the MT event is over. Everything goes on the open market...and should be stealable. Otherwise, for one, you could outfit a character with 100% MT items, weapon, and armor and have your safe space. The price IG and IRL would go way up as well making this an even more profit making enterprise for the unscrupulous. Spend $400 to make $1000. Easy money with no potential issues with losing that money (IG or IRL) in the game.

I personally have paid way more into this game than the majority of players over my 24 years and I know the risks. Hence I use registration, bonding potions, closed containers, containers inside other containers, money belts, and just plain gaining experience to protect my stuff. I have over 1M plat kronor worth (probably close to $5K RL money) of coins, items, gems, and the like and I know the risks.

Changing game mechanics this far into the game to create safe space for abuse isn't something I support. And now, player stealing isn't abuse, it's the status quo and always has been.

This opinion doesn't include people that abuse mechanics player killing then stealing. There are already policies in place for that...and this is the stealing policy folder.

Re: Droughtmans and no stealing 03/30/2020 11:56 AM CDT
>> Everything goes on the open market...and should be stealable.

Are you suggesting that everything should be stealable? Like, everything? Because that would be a complete **-show for the 99% of the game that doesn't have capped perception and access to a perception booster.

Also, this is where the argument falls apart, because the simple matter is that MT gems are the only MT items that are realistically at risk. Graverobbing really isn't a thing anymore with depart items and thrown weapons fall at your feet now, realistically weapons and armor and backpacks and general-worn mana regen items just aren't subject to theft, only gems.

>>Changing game mechanics this far into the game to create safe space for abuse isn't something I support.

It's really not a massive shift of policy. The majority of the issue is that Droughtman's prize room wasn't updated to be no-theft like the other quest areas and, predictably, people were camping and griefing. This is just a change to MT gems, since they are the only MT items really subject to theft, which feels bad. Care bears who wanna buy rare gems for alteration fodder shouldn't have to worry about someone with a stealing trigger stealing their quest prize in the .005 seconds it takes to move their prize into the pouch and close said pouch.

Disabling player theft would be a huge swing of mechanics. This is not.