Script Penalty Change 12/01/2018 08:36 PM CST
I was looking at the penalties and think a 10% Loss of Skills is too much considering how long it takes to get skills someone could easily lose 6 months worth of work.

I think other options should be looked at.... maybe instead of taking away levels, implement a penalty on their skill / treasure gain that lasts for a set period of time.
1st offence - warning
2nd offence - Skill gains slowed by 25% for a 40 hours of game time.
3rd Offence - 50% decrease in gains for a month of game time.

they can keep increasing, or have 4th offence be a character kicked offline and account review contacting owner.
using game time, will make them have to suffer the penalty instead of taking a week off.

this way they get punished for breaking the rules, but there's less of a backlash from players.
feeling they lost months of playtime for running to get a drink or snack run that lasted too long or other similiar reasons.
if I got hit with a decrease of skill gain for scripting, I would be more careful and pause all scripts when I go away from computer.
but if I was to lose 10% or more of all Skills I gained.... I would be pissed and likely to quit.

I know you don't like scripting but there is no way to play this game without using scripts.
unless you want to get carpal tunnel and take x100 as long to do anything.
for example trade skills are very complex... making scripts needed. cool that it is realistic, but a pain for same reason.
Re: Script Penalty Change 12/01/2018 09:33 PM CST
Surely the 4th attempt at posting the same thread after 2 were removed and closed, will convince people.

Or are we on the 5th now?
Re: Script Penalty Change 12/01/2018 09:45 PM CST
This thread was moved here. Please keep it constructive and civil.

Helje
DragonRealms Senior Board Moderator
Re: Script Penalty Change 12/02/2018 09:10 AM CST
this was my first post, I didn't know I was in wrong forum or that there was other posts about it.... so it was moved to this forum.
assuming that I am the same person that has done what you have mentioned (and I have not seen) is false.
Re: Script Penalty Change 12/02/2018 10:00 AM CST
>I was looking at the penalties and think a 10% Loss of Skills is too much considering how long it takes to get skills someone could easily lose 6 months worth of work.

AFK scripting is the opposite of work. It's is literally about not having enough attention on your screen to pass a check that takes place for at least 5 min if not significantly longer. What you'd be losing are ranks gained by cheating the system that exists to keep Prime from becoming TF.

>this way they get punished for breaking the rules, but there's less of a backlash from players.

These penalties would encourage botting. The punishment is reduced gain? Keep botting. The punishment is a lockout? Switch bots.

>but if I was to lose 10% or more of all Skills I gained.... I would be pissed and likely to quit.

Hopefully you'd be back at some point to join TF or to script when you're actually attentive in Prime.

>I know you don't like scripting but there is no way to play this game without using scripts.

Most of us love scripting. To those who care about maintaining a responsive game environment and maintaining the value of skill ranks and game resources, its important that you're paying a minimal amount of attention to your screen when your scripting, or simply log if you can't.

I can understand how thinking about the penalties on your character are scary. They have to be. Please keep in mind that, assuming you're not a botter and truly someone who just doesn't want to stop a script to do something that takes longer than 10 min, it's worth it get in the habit, because the consequences for reducing the penalties per policy would be far reaching and unequivocally negative.
Re: Script Penalty Change 12/02/2018 11:02 AM CST
>I was looking at the penalties and think a 10% Loss of Skills is too much considering how long it takes to get skills someone could easily lose 6 months worth of work.

AFK scripting is the opposite of work. It's is literally about not having enough attention on your screen to pass a check that takes place for at least 5 min if not significantly longer. What you'd be losing are ranks gained by cheating the system that exists to keep Prime from becoming TF.

>> Hmm, very good point. But it still viewed as lost time by many.

>this way they get punished for breaking the rules, but there's less of a backlash from players.

These penalties would encourage botting. The punishment is reduced gain? Keep botting. The punishment is a lockout? Switch bots.

>> I had not thought of switching characters / bots.

>but if I was to lose 10% or more of all Skills I gained.... I would be pissed and likely to quit.

Hopefully you'd be back at some point to join TF or to script when you're actually attentive in Prime.

>> I do have more than one account running, and I am at the keyboard , excluding nature and refreshments. I would consider TF if it wasn't so expensive or barren (compared to prime).

>I know you don't like scripting but there is no way to play this game without using scripts.

Most of us love scripting. To those who care about maintaining a responsive game environment and maintaining the value of skill ranks and game resources, its important that you're paying a minimal amount of attention to your screen when your scripting, or simply log if you can't.

I can understand how thinking about the penalties on your character are scary. They have to be. Please keep in mind that, assuming you're not a botter and truly someone who just doesn't want to stop a script to do something that takes longer than 10 min, it's worth it get in the habit, because the consequences for reducing the penalties per policy would be far reaching and unequivocally negative.

>> Great advice, to pause scripts... I will have to get in the habit of doing that.
Re: Script Penalty Change 12/02/2018 12:02 PM CST
what do you think of this idea ?

1st offense : warning
2nd : character loses all XP gained in past 24 hrs of game time and 24 hours of 25% decreased gains in game.
3rd : loss of 1 week of gains as well as 50% decreased gains for a week.
4th : loss of a month of gains as well as 75% decreased gains for a month.
5th : 3 month loss and 100% decrease for 3 months.

I think this hybrid system could work well... go ahead and script 24x7x356... you will fail a few script checks and not gain any skills, drops or coins etc.

could also gauge the penalty based on how long character has been logged in during that time frame.
Re: Script Penalty Change 12/02/2018 02:53 PM CST
I think that at this point player discussion and input is neither wanted nor helpful.

The GMs are going to either address it, or not. If they do, they'll have to use some type of numeric analysis on gain/loss for players that strikes a balance.

I'm also kind of tired of posts about it. It's been everywhere and I have the feeling 'first post' aside it's just the same 3-5 people trying to raise a ruckus.
Re: Script Penalty Change 12/02/2018 09:10 PM CST
I feel the same as you do Oddpaladin. it feels like the same people argue with the new posts, with the same arguments that mainly applies to their way of thinking. Then the posts get out of hand and are hidden or even moved, making more people frustrated or other negative feelings like anger or even confusion.

Regardless of those people, i'm wanting to see what changes they make first, and then give my feedback on the new policy. I know why i script, but i'm generally not AFK. i've gotten in trouble for afk scripting, and it isn't something i want to happen again. I didn't want it happening in the first place, but what is done is done.
Re: Script Penalty Change 12/08/2018 06:33 PM CST
I agree with Oddpaladin on this. As many times as this discussion has been revived, it gets squashed with no change. There clearly isn't any interest in changing the policy on the staff's end, no matter how many times people ask for it. We have our "option" of exiling ourselves to TF for more money, less content, and basically zero interaction. If that's not good enough, well, there's the door.

People have gotten away with afk for years, and I'm sure others will in the years to come. Those that don't will complain, quit, or take the loss and move on. The thing they won't do -- is change. Why break policy? Because the gains are so slow that it's barely worth your money not to. People would rather take the chance and leave after inevitably get caught than change their so called bad behavior. Why not break policy? Because it's the rules, and you should follow the rules. We've butted heads over this topic for over 20 years now. I don't see it changing anytime ever.

The rested xp system could have been a game changer. We could have gotten rid of the bad behavior by getting rid of the incentive to do it. Now, instead, people are just going to afk script for 8 hours at a time and log off. They're still going to afk, just not for 24 hours. They're still going to get caught, get mad, and quit. The community is adamant for change and no change at the same time. So here we are. Slowly but surely, the attrition is taking its toll on the playerbase. But hey, at least people aren't afk, right?
Re: Script Penalty Change 12/09/2018 07:03 AM CST

>>We have our "option" of exiling ourselves to TF for more money, less content, and basically zero interaction.

More money, yes. Basically the same content, less RP events. I have more interaction in TF than I do when I play prime.