1 2 4 Next Next_page
Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 10/06/2017 09:15 PM CDT
You know, I was a vocal proponent of adding more script-friendly things in a common gathering spot, but seeing the result, I would gladly vote to remove them at this point.

>>I would like to see the Courtyard Garden and Infirmary be less scripting-friendly. Even just turning off the ability to forage materials for braiding and prohibiting locksmithing would help immensely. (I would also prohibit hiding/invisibility.)

>>In the absence of GMs to deal with disruptive healbots, player Empaths could step up and police their own. However, Empaths over 100th circle cannot be removed from the guildhall, even by much more senior Empaths. I think this immunity should be weakened if not removed.

I like both of these suggestions. Make that spot in particular more about healing and less about scripting other things, and give ATK Empaths the power to police/remove those who are AFK.

We might also reconsider our AFK rules surrounding certain locations. Right now, it is within policy to ignore other PCs, which is important because we should be allowed to choose to ignore those we don't like or who are harassing us. However, we might have a specific rule about repeatedly ignoring simple requests or providing bot-only responses in certain locations, such as the Empath guild. That way if a GM observes a healbot who is not responding to those speaking in a clearly human way, there would be some policy recourse to take action. It might not be the same action taken as for regular AFK scripters, but instead be something like an increasing ban from the location.

- Navesi
Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 10/06/2017 09:23 PM CDT
I think Sarkranis said it all, and I'm beginning to wonder if SHIFT is just trying to argue for the sake of arguing. Bottom line -- most, if not all, ATK Empaths want something to be done. More importantly, it is against game policy!

I really don't understand the purpose of arguing in favor of people breaking rules that cause detrimental effects on other people... it just makes no sense. You say we're asking people to do things differently, but if that difference is just following the rules then I think they should be asked to do things differently.

You mentioned how it sounded to you SHIFT, this is how it sounds to me:

Empath: I really wish I could get a heal in edgewise and get rid of all this bot scroll, so we could focus on what we're here for.

Non-Empath: But I WANNA park my AFK character here, even it it breaks the rules.

Empath: Well, maybe you could park your AFK character somewhere else?

Non-Empath: No, YOU!

Empath: sigh

AFK-Empath-Bot: *touches Empath, attempts to take wounds that aren't there... nobody sees it for all the scroll*

Maybe we should actually start listening to the Empaths with regards to what can/should be done to improve the Empath guildhall... just sayin'
Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 10/06/2017 09:48 PM CDT
>>Maybe we should actually start listening to the Empaths with regards to what can/should be done to improve the Empath guildhall... just sayin'<<

In all seriousness, you might get better traction posting this stuff in the empath folders.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 10/06/2017 10:48 PM CDT

> Maybe we should actually start listening to the Empaths with regards to what can/should be done to improve the Empath guildhall... just sayin'

Fine. Whatever. My empath doesn't get an opinion because you want your empath to decide who can and can't be in what room of a guild hall. More power to you. I give up, but I reserve the right to an "I told you so" when this doesn't turn out how you want it to turn out. I'll gladly take one from you too if I turn out to be wrong on this.
Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 10/06/2017 11:25 PM CDT
>>Squanto: In all seriousness, you might get better traction posting this stuff in the empath folders.

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/The%20Empaths/Suggestions%20-%20Empaths/view/1452

"Empathy doesn't make people nice." --GM Armifer

Empath new player guide: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Empath_new_player_guide

Empath hunting ladder: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Empath_hunting_ladde
Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 10/07/2017 02:13 AM CDT
>Fine. Whatever. My empath doesn't get an opinion because you want your empath to decide who can and can't be in what room of a guild hall. More power to you. I give up, but I reserve the right to an "I told you so" when this doesn't turn out how you want it to turn out. I'll gladly take one from you too if I turn out to be wrong on this.

No, I don't want to decide anything. I pointed out a problem, and pointed out that it doesn't follow policy but little is being done about it. Simutronics and the DR GMs have decided who can and can't be in what room of a guild hall, and they will continue to do so. For the third time -- all I've done is point out a side to this issue that was left out in this thread, and that's the fact that there are deleterious effects to the average ATK player in certain areas. I'm not certain, and you have yet to offer a feasible explanation, as to why you feel the need to tell me, the rule-following player, that I should adapt to fit the playstyle of those that cannot, or do not, follow the rules. Again, that is the effectual outcome, so I *have to,* but I'm not sure that I should have to.

I do feel pretty certain that people who are not following the game policy set forth by the development team should have to alter their behavior or face consequences, however.

My comment about listening to the Empaths was half tongue-in-cheek, but let's be honest... if this were happening at the Ranger's g...oh wait.
Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 10/09/2017 03:27 PM CDT
The divine charm heals a newb, if they need a heal and they understand the use for the charm they are probably using it for that instead of teleporting.

This takes away a lot of the need for newb empaths at low levels where people tend to get repeatedly banged around quickly.

Perceive health is your friend and doesn't require combat. You can also learn empathy from classes now if you can't perceive health yet.

Healing other players is quite possibly the least sustainable way of advancing as an empath at this point. That's like a barbarian saying they'll only circle by learning weapons in a class because that's their rp. You can do it but it will be tedious and take forever.
Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 10/12/2017 02:30 PM CDT
>Perceive health is your friend and doesn't require combat. You can also learn empathy from classes now if you can't perceive health yet.

>Healing other players is quite possibly the least sustainable way of advancing as an empath at this point. That's like a barbarian saying they'll only circle by >learning weapons in a class because that's their rp. You can do it but it will be tedious and take forever.

Perceive Health is all but useless for moving Empathy until you have enough ranks of Attunement (and Empathy as well, I think), so that does nothing for new/low circle Empaths.

Empathy classes are great... when you can actually find them, but it's not a reliable method for advancement. Even in the Empath guildhall, there's hardly ever an Empathy class going on. (But we always have Slings!)

Having basically left the Empath guildhall, I've been advancing quite effectively by healing other players (outside of combat, even!)... and I've been having more fun and more interaction with other PCs, to boot. My personal experience differs greatly from your claims.

Comparing what was originally a support/social class to a combat based class is like comparing apples to orangutans, even if that support/social class now has a viable combat role when chosen - because even going that route requires you to reach a certain point before you can use it to move Empathy. Barbarians do not have this restriction.

This isn't a "How to Empath" thread, anyway. I wasn't seeking advice on how to play my character or to advance in the guild. I was pointing out that it can be a frustrating start for new players, because it's difficult to 'do our thing' in the place currently designated for it. That's just a simple truth, and telling people to go do it a different way so people can keep breaking the rules is just silly. Furthermore, it's antithetical to what the GM's/Devs have said they want to do, which is make the game more inviting to new players.
Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 10/12/2017 02:56 PM CDT

> Perceive Health is all but useless for moving Empathy until you have enough ranks of Attunement (and Empathy as well, I think), so that does nothing for new/low circle Empaths.

New empaths shouldn't even bother with healing once they learn manipulate. That's far and away the best and most consistent way to train empathy. The ranges narrow around the 75-150 defenses range, where your empathy is so much higher than your combats that it doesn't train very well, but then it opens wide up and will train well much, much higher than your combat skills.

On the flip side, if play the guild healer, it's going to take you a lot of back-training before you can learn empathy again from manipulate. GS or innocence can help ease this quite a bit, as can shifting offensive points to defenses, but it'll still take a while if you want to be effecient.

> Furthermore, it's antithetical to what the GM's/Devs have said they want to do, which is make the game more inviting to new players.

I was out of this thread, and I'm not going to start beating this horse again; however, let's be honest. I don't really think new players is really what's driving this push. If it is, there are better ways to accomplish what you're trying to do - again TGSE or even outside jadewater. The place where they start without having to learn the gathering spots.
Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 10/12/2017 06:24 PM CDT

>Comparing what was originally a support/social class to a combat based class is like comparing apples to orangutans, even if that support/social class now has a viable combat role when chosen - because even going that route requires you to reach a certain point before you can use it to move Empathy. Barbarians do not have this restriction.

But that 'certain point' is laughably low. You can hit it in two afternoons of healing or listening. And Barbarians don't have a restriction on learning Expertise, but, for example, an out of the box Barbarian isn't going to have an easy time training two handed weapons.

Again, I get you dislike that the game has shifted in such a way to make being a pure, 'sit on your butt and heal people who come find you as a valid form of progressing' class, but the options Empaths have been given are solid and effective. The 'simple truth' of the game and guild is that it isn't remotely silly, because basing your entire guild outlook on a game and class designed in the early 90's isn't a good reason to get upset about how things have evolved.

And that these options are available to Empaths has zero bearing on the new player experience.
Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 10/13/2017 09:28 PM CDT
>Again, I get you dislike that the game has shifted in such a way to make being a pure, 'sit on your butt and heal people who come find you as a valid form of progressing' class, but the options Empaths have been given are solid and effective.

Just to be clear, you don't get anything about my likes or dislikes with the game, or my 'guild outlook.' Your above statement demonstrates this. I don't have a problem with how the Empath mechanics have evolved, and there are many in the game who can attest that I don't just sit around waiting for people to come to me. I'm not upset about how things have 'evolved,' either. AFK scripting isn't a new evolutionary development, it's been around since forever. I've disliked it pretty much as long as it's been around.
1 2 4 Next Next_page