AFK exp gain and cyclics 06/01/2014 10:14 AM CDT
Now that cyclics don't teach after 6 or so minutes, if I leave a cyclic up and go to the bathroom, is this no longer a scripting violation?

--

<<No, I get to be an evil sociopath and psychopath when I want to, and kill babies for fun when I want to, but when game events start up, you don't have any right to treat me like a rapist murdering evil villain, you have to respect my rights to go
Re: AFK exp gain and cyclics 06/01/2014 10:17 AM CDT
I would think so. Even if not teaching you are getting some benefit from it be it stat boost, exp mods, etc.

[00:15] Chatter[Uzmam] Damian just wants to beat up dancers, what a bully
[00:15] Chatter[Morpion] Wait for them outside the club at 3 am?
[00:15] Chatter[Damian] i enjoy making them scream with pure terror
Re: AFK exp gain and cyclics 06/01/2014 10:22 AM CDT

One of the things they mentioned when changing cyclics in this way, was that it would help prevent people from getting afk scripting warnings if they stepped away while it was active, since it wouldn't be teaching anymore.

If you're not learning, you're safe to use the bathroom while it's active.

-Master Ndin
Re: AFK exp gain and cyclics 06/01/2014 10:25 AM CDT
<<Now that cyclics don't teach after 6 or so minutes, if I leave a cyclic up and go to the bathroom, is this no longer a scripting violation?

If it is before the cyclic stops teaching fully then technically it is a violation, since afk violations don't have a grace period. Practically speaking, however, this won't result in a violation since script checks take time to process. More than enough time to run to the bathroom and/or for your cyclic spell to stop teaching.

Just a clarification too... AFK violations aren't limited exclusively to experience gain. You can gain a violation from actions performed while afk if you benefit in some way from them. One explicitly stated exception to this is travel. You are perfectly safe to run a travel script that gets you from point A to B while afk as long as you don't learn anything along the way via climbing, swimming, etc. even if it takes hours to complete. E.g. public boat travel.

So if you are benefiting in some meaningful way from the cyclic spell while afk then it will still be a violation even if you've stopped learning from it.
Re: AFK exp gain and cyclics 06/01/2014 10:27 AM CDT
Also if it's a giant issue you could invest in a Stadium pal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjAnMu218l0

problem solved

[00:15] Chatter[Uzmam] Damian just wants to beat up dancers, what a bully
[00:15] Chatter[Morpion] Wait for them outside the club at 3 am?
[00:15] Chatter[Damian] i enjoy making them scream with pure terror
Re: AFK exp gain and cyclics 06/01/2014 10:27 AM CDT
>>If you're not learning, you're safe to use the bathroom while it's active.

Just to clarify, if you're not benefiting from something (or creating a benefit), it's okay to go AFK.

EXP is just one aspect of benefitting from something.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: AFK exp gain and cyclics 06/01/2014 10:31 AM CDT
<<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjAnMu218l0

Lol. It's funny because I can totally imagine this being used by someone for gaming purposes.
Re: AFK exp gain and cyclics 06/01/2014 10:43 AM CDT
I would appreciate a GameMaster response, thank you.

Somehow I doubt going AFK while buffed up isn't going to generate an AFK scripting warning but I'll wait until for an official response first.

--

<<No, I get to be an evil sociopath and psychopath when I want to, and kill babies for fun when I want to, but when game events start up, you don't have any right to treat me like a rapist murdering evil villain, you have to respect my rights to go
Re: AFK exp gain and cyclics 06/01/2014 10:50 AM CDT
I'm not a GM but News 5 17 gives you the policy.
Re: AFK exp gain and cyclics 06/01/2014 11:26 AM CDT
Being buffed isn't a 'gain' any more than going AFK with clear vision on.

If you're gaining exp? You're in violation. If you're earning money, you're in violation. If you're providing others a service (Gem Selling Bot or something) you're in violation.

As long as no one is benefiting from you being there, there's no problem.

All that said if you aren't earning exp... why not just release the cyclic and fire it back up when you get back?

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: AFK exp gain and cyclics 06/01/2014 11:36 AM CDT
<<All that said if you aren't earning exp... why not just release the cyclic and fire it back up when you get back?

the thread came as a result of a conversation a friend of mine and I were having. they suddenly bailed for a bathroom break and came back realizing they had a spell up for like 30 minutes.

thanks for the reply.

--

<<No, I get to be an evil sociopath and psychopath when I want to, and kill babies for fun when I want to, but when game events start up, you don't have any right to treat me like a rapist murdering evil villain, you have to respect my rights to go to raffles and drink tea with nobles.
Re: AFK exp gain and cyclics 06/01/2014 12:54 PM CDT
>>30 minutes.

Those are some of the best bathroom breaks!

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: AFK exp gain and cyclics 06/01/2014 01:03 PM CDT
>>>> All that said if you aren't earning exp... why not just release the cyclic and fire it back up when you get back?

RoC and SoV both come to mins as spells you might want to keep going while AFK
Re: AFK exp gain and cyclics 06/02/2014 09:45 AM CDT
<<Those are some of the best bathroom breaks!>>

Squanto posts are pure gold.