Prev_page Previous 1 3
AFK scripting question! 02/05/2013 08:45 AM CST
I've only been able to play in short bursts lately. The last week or so I've more or less spent 20-30 minutes locking a couple of skills and then going afk for 40 minutes while my exp drains and coming back and relocking them. Tonight I started training my FA with a pet bleeder along with my other skills.

My question is, if I go into sleep mode so I don't gain any new experience and run a script to tend my bleeder while I'm afk, does "not dying while afk" fall under the "beneficial to your character" part of the afk scripting policy?
Re: AFK scripting question! 02/05/2013 09:06 AM CST
If you're tending your wound while AFK then you're actively gaining experience and thus afk scripting and breaking policy. You don't even have to script to be considered "afk scripting", if you leave a cyclical spell up while afk you can get busted since you're gaining experience while afk.
Re: AFK scripting question! 02/05/2013 09:13 AM CST
>>if I go into sleep mode so I don't gain any new experience

Reading is fun. S/he is not gaining EXP.

I'd just say this is incredibly dangerous. It is possible to wake up from "Sleep" and it's also possible to get an infection, get 20 bleeders and die.

Heal the bleeder, getting a new one is pretty easy.

Player of Diggan, Ranger & Halfing of Aesry
Re: AFK scripting question! 02/05/2013 09:14 AM CST
AFAIK, you're allowed to stay logged in AFK to drain experience. You're not allowed to gain new experience while not at the keyboard. I don't know how the sleep mechanics are working these days, but in times past doing something that would have gained experience a couple times in a row would knock you back out of the sleep mode, cause you to gain new experience and run you afoul of the AFK scripting policy. IMO the best bet would be to not go afk with a pet bleeder tending script active and maybe switch to anatomy charts for FA learning and ditch the pet bleeder all together.
Re: AFK scripting question! 02/05/2013 09:23 AM CST
>>It is possible to wake up from "Sleep"

Not anymore.

>>and it's also possible to get an infection, get 20 bleeders and die.

Valid, but script-able to prevent runaway.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: AFK scripting question! 02/05/2013 09:31 AM CST
>>AFAIK, you're allowed to stay logged in AFK to drain experience. You're not allowed to gain new experience while not at the keyboard. I don't know how the sleep mechanics are working these days, but in times past doing something >>that would have gained experience a couple times in a row would knock you back out of the sleep mode, cause you to gain new experience and run you afoul of the AFK scripting policy. IMO the best bet would be to not go afk with a >>pet bleeder tending script active and maybe switch to anatomy charts for FA learning and ditch the pet bleeder all together.

You don't wake up from learning experience anymore, and anatomy charts are an awful way to learn FA when you want to do something other than stare at a compendium for twenty minutes. I'm just curious if tending yourself falls under the "beneficial to your character" umbrella, since it's rather vague and some things fall under it and some don't.
Re: AFK scripting question! 02/05/2013 09:34 AM CST
>>Reading is fun. S/he is not gaining EXP.

Oops yes, I did miss that part but my explanation should have been good enough that they should have been able to figure it out. If you're actively gaining experience you'll get in trouble. If you're not then you're fine. It's as simple as that.
Re: AFK scripting question! 02/05/2013 09:38 AM CST
>>If you're actively gaining experience you'll get in trouble. If you're not then you're fine. It's as simple as that.

No, it's not. At some point in the last few years they started enforcing a "doing things beneficial to your character" clause that seems to be decided on a case by case basis that have no bearing on whether you're gaining experience or not.
Re: AFK scripting question! 02/05/2013 09:39 AM CST
<<AFAIK, you're allowed to stay logged in AFK to drain experience.>>

I'm almost positive your allowed to stay logged in AFK and drain experience as long as your not actively gaining ANY new experience or benefiting in any other way.

The best method is to just hide and stay motionless.

<<bleeders>>>

If you sleep your OK because you won't keep your FA experience gaining ranks. The better suggestion, already mentioned, is to heal up and not worry about it.

- Buuwl
Re: AFK scripting question! 02/05/2013 09:39 AM CST
I'd say heal it. It's a grey area at best and if someone had a vindictive bent you'd be screwed. It's not that hard to get a new bleeder.

Note: this is not a plug for Genie or Elanthipedia or Mars Bars.
Re: AFK scripting question! 02/05/2013 09:45 AM CST

When you daydream, you're not gaining any new exp. I'm not a GM and I'd assist if you want the final word, but I am reasonably sure that if you set up steps to keep yourself from croaking you're fine.

That being said, anything which might cause you to die from things you can control shouldn't be run afk. You're just asking for lost gear, lost favors, lost bleeders, and disappointment. I realize its not what you asked, but I think it'd be silly for you to take a risk like this.

Based on your first post, I get the feeling that this situation might not be permanent? If so, I know its inconvenient just spend one of your 'aware' cycles with the compendium until your personal situation clears up as a suggestion.

<<"earning too little skinning experience for a day or so isn't nearly as bad as having a spell that breaks your wings."
Re: AFK scripting question! 02/05/2013 10:19 AM CST
>>It is possible to wake up from "Sleep"
>>Not anymore.

Wow. Neat to know.

Re: AFK scripting question! 02/05/2013 10:26 AM CST
>> My question is, if I go into sleep mode so I don't gain any new experience and run a script to tend my bleeder while I'm afk, does "not dying while afk" fall under the "beneficial to your character" part of the afk scripting policy?

You're fine - I do this all the time. As long as you're sleeping. Recommend putting avoids up and clearing your hands though.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: AFK scripting question! 02/05/2013 10:47 AM CST
>>When you daydream, you're not gaining any new exp.

No. Just No. SLEEP. Not DAYDREAM.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: AFK scripting question! 02/05/2013 11:05 AM CST
As others have said you should be ok on both counts. But just know you are taking a risk even if you are sleeping, and gaining no new exp. All it will take is a player/GM having a bad day, and you might find yourself arguing the beneficial to your character clause. Policy that is up for interpretation by the individual GM is a dangerous gray area to be in.
Re: AFK scripting question! 02/05/2013 11:15 AM CST
Indeed. There is afk scripting, and there is being unresponsive to the game environment. I have heard of people being warned for the latter even in absence of the former.

- Starlear -
Re: AFK scripting question! 02/05/2013 11:36 AM CST

You are afk scripting a benefit even if you are SLEEPing.

The benefit is that you are keeping the pet bleeder going without incurring an infection that would very likely happen if you just let the wound bleed openly while AFK draining.
Re: AFK scripting question! 02/05/2013 11:40 AM CST
>>The benefit is that you are keeping the pet bleeder going without incurring an infection that would very likely happen if you just let the wound bleed openly while AFK draining.

Pretty sure you don't need a wound to be untended to get infected.

If anything, being AFK with a bleeder just increases the chance of infection.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: AFK scripting question! 02/05/2013 04:21 PM CST
>If anything, being AFK with a bleeder just increases the chance of infection.

Which is a benefit if he's doing it AFK. That makes it in turn, a punishable offense. Even if he's sleeping he's preventing potential death and infection. It would most likely be against policy.
Re: AFK scripting question! 02/05/2013 04:31 PM CST

If it was me I'd err on the side of caution with this one and get the bleeder healed first due to the potential 'benefit' aspect, even without exp gain.

~Katt

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: AFK scripting question! 02/05/2013 04:36 PM CST
>>Which is a benefit if he's doing it AFK.

...people want infections? AFAIK, nothing more than having a bleeder is what causes a risk for infection. I'm not entirely sure how AFK tending with no exp gain is a benefit if the only thing coming out of it is a risk of infection. Am I missing the appeal/advantage of infections?

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: AFK scripting question! 02/05/2013 04:39 PM CST
I think the assumption is being made that keeping a wound tended decreases the chance of infection.

~Katt

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: AFK scripting question! 02/05/2013 04:42 PM CST
>...people want infections? AFAIK, nothing more than having a bleeder is what causes a risk for infection. I'm not entirely sure how AFK tending with no exp gain is a benefit if the only thing coming out of it is a risk of infection. Am I missing the appeal/advantage of infections?

I dont think you're grasping things here.

If he goes AFK and scripts the tending of his wound that would be a benefit. a) He's not draining vitality from the wound. b) He's reducing the chance of getting infected(You don't get infected solely from untended wounds, however; tended wounds are less likely to become infected.) Those are advantages.

He should either get the wound healed if he plans on going afk or log out.
Re: AFK scripting question! 02/05/2013 04:44 PM CST
>>HEASTRENFHERO

Quick litmus test for you. Is running a travel script OK, or is the travel considered a benefit?

TG, TG, GL, et al.

-Raesh
Re: AFK scripting question! 02/05/2013 04:58 PM CST
>Quick litmus test for you. Is running a travel script OK, or is the travel considered a benefit?

Depends who you speak to, since policy usually is grey one GM may consider it a benefit, one may not. Moving from one place to another can be beneficial and if you're unresponsive you've violated policy.

Since I know where you're going with this... I've seen posts where a GM has said traveling is perfectly fine unattended, rarely is it ever that black and white.
Re: AFK scripting question! 02/05/2013 05:09 PM CST
>I'd say heal it. It's a grey area at best and if someone had a vindictive bent you'd be screwed. It's not that hard to get a new bleeder.

It's also not that hard for a GM to respond to a valid question in the Scripting Policy folder:

Is keeping your own bleeder(s) tended while afk against policy when the character is in sleep mode and not learning any new experience while afk?

Folks have made a good point about infection, tho.. so regardless of the policy answer, I personally would consider it an unwise thing to do - unless you want to die afk from infection, or you are an empath with an afk script that will handle infection (which would need the policy answer, I think).

Aluriaz
Re: AFK scripting question! 02/05/2013 05:45 PM CST
Per NEWS 5 17 and as of 6/16/2011:

Any activity that results in ANY benefit to either you or another player while being unresponsive to the gaming environment will be considered against policy.

Warnings for using triggers, running scripts, or any other activities while being unresponsive to the gaming environment are based on the Staff's observation of the character, and the Staff's judgment may vary from instance to instance; therefore each instance will be judged independently. Furthermore, GMs have the right to verify that any and all characters are following this policy at any time.

Exceptions:
In general, if you are running a script and are responsive to the game or are in Rest Mode or Sleep Mode and are not gaining any NEW experience, skills, money, or providing other players with an in-game advantage (e.g., casting spells), it does not fall under this policy. ANY activity that's deemed by Staff to be disruptive or not in the best interest of the game or its players can be warned when discovered. (E.g., if you are scripting moving in and out of a room, a warning may be issued because it causes undue screen scroll.)

If you are gaining skills passively or providing other characters with an in-game advantage, a warning may be issued based on your being unresponsive to the gaming environment. If your "Rest Mode" message is determined to be inappropriate, a warning may be issued based on the message being Out of Character (OOC) or disruptive. If you set up a character "bot" to provide services (i.e., healing, lockpicking, spellcasting, etc.) to other players while that "bot" is unresponsive, you will be issued a warning.

Hope this help you!

---
NaOH+HI
Re: AFK scripting question! 02/05/2013 06:44 PM CST
>>Depends who you speak to, since policy usually is grey one GM may consider it a benefit, one may not.
>>Since I know where you're going with this... I've seen posts where a GM has said traveling is perfectly fine unattended, rarely is it ever that black and white.

Regardless of the rest of the post, these two lines are where you lost all credibility.

Ignore the troll.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

-Raesh
Re: AFK scripting question! 02/05/2013 06:48 PM CST
>Hope this help you!

Okay, Thanks! I know what that news item says, and yet it still seems like it's a grey area as to whether keeping yourself tended while afk falls under the "Any activity that results in ANY benefit..." sentence.

However, in the absence of clarification of the grey area, I will take the sentence "In general, if you are running a script and are responsive to the game or are in Rest Mode or Sleep Mode and are not gaining any NEW experience, skills, money, or providing other players with an in-game advantage (e.g., casting spells), it does not fall under this policy." as being the policy with regards to tending yourself while being afk.

Thanks again!
Aluriaz
Re: AFK scripting question! 02/05/2013 06:50 PM CST
>>Cardinale01: My question is, if I go into sleep mode so I don't gain any new experience and run a script to tend my bleeder while I'm afk, does "not dying while afk" fall under the "beneficial to your character" part of the afk scripting policy?

As far as I know, the GMs have never explicitly ruled on the issue of whether tending a bleeder (without gaining experience) violates the policy against AFK scripting. Unless they say otherwise, I would err on the side of not doing this. Even if you don't gain field experience while tending wounds, one can argue that this is a material benefit to your character, since it reduces the likelihood of infection and reduces vitality drain. (Casting a spell to cure that infection would almost certainly be a material benefit to your character.)

I would be curious to hear an official answer to this question as well, because my character often has wounds that I don't want to heal for training purposes.

>>DR-Raesh: Travel scripts are not experience gain (Unless, you know, they are. Which they can be if you're climbing or swimming or so forth) and will not get you an long term experience scripting violation.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!
Re: AFK scripting question! 02/05/2013 09:21 PM CST
>>It's not that hard to get a new bleeder.

Multiple people have said this in this thread, but has anyone attempted it after 3.0? Last night I did my standard stance set 0 0 0, feint apu abdomen, from an alt with like 10 ME skill and I was nearly 1-shotted (tore out my entire abdomen and put me at death's door but I got healed). Anyone know a safe way to get pet bleeders now?

Apu
_
Respect. Integrity. World Domination.
https://sites.google.com/site/apucorpdr/
Re: AFK scripting question! 02/05/2013 09:31 PM CST
>> Anyone know a safe way to get pet bleeders now?

Set your stance to like 5-10% evasion and you should be fine using feint. Unlike in 2.0, setting your stance to 0 now actually makes you near-defenseless.
Re: AFK scripting question! 02/05/2013 09:50 PM CST
>> Multiple people have said this in this thread, but has anyone attempted it after 3.0? Last night I did my standard stance set 0 0 0, feint apu abdomen, from an alt with like 10 ME skill and I was nearly 1-shotted (tore out my entire abdomen and put me at death's door but I got healed). Anyone know a safe way to get pet bleeders now?

Awesome. That's the 1000% overkill mechanics. Basically just stance down to a % of your skills. 100 evasion @ 5% = 5 evasion.
Re: AFK scripting question! 02/05/2013 10:01 PM CST
>>I would be curious to hear an official answer to this question as well, because my character often has wounds that I don't want to heal for training purposes.

Understandable. After confirming with a SGM, here's an official answer:

Tending while AFK is a violation of the scripting policy. It does not matter if you are under SLEEP or not. It isn't a question of actively gaining new EXP in this case. You're AFK and keeping your character alive by tending it. This is seen as an AFK benefit, and could result in a warning if caught.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: AFK scripting question! 02/05/2013 10:21 PM CST
>> Anyone know a safe way to get pet bleeders now?

If you're a mage, buy cheap cambrinth and ask another mana frequency mage to charge it. Use the cambrinth.
Re: AFK scripting question! 02/05/2013 10:25 PM CST
<<Tending while AFK is a violation of the scripting policy. It does not matter if you are under SLEEP or not. It isn't a question of actively gaining new EXP in this case. You're AFK and keeping your character alive by tending it. This is seen as an AFK benefit, and could result in a warning if caught.>>

Awesome to get an official response, thank you!

- Buuwl
Re: AFK scripting question! 02/05/2013 10:47 PM CST
Now if AFK scripting rules were actually enforced regularly, that would be awesome.

Re: AFK scripting question! 02/05/2013 11:41 PM CST
>NaOH+HI

Oh wow! I would have assumed the opposite from the News Item on the policy!

Thanks for clarification on this!
Aluriaz
Re: AFK scripting question! 02/05/2013 11:44 PM CST
>Oh wow! I would have assumed the opposite from the News Item on the policy!

?? How would you assume going AFK and auto tending a wound to keep you alive or to mitigate an infection wouldn't be?
Re: AFK scripting question! 02/05/2013 11:58 PM CST
>?? How would you assume going AFK and auto tending a wound to keep you alive or to mitigate an infection wouldn't be?

Well, I indicated this in my post before, but it was because of this statement in the News Item policy which was quoted for us:
"In general, if you are running a script and are responsive to the game or are in Rest Mode or Sleep Mode and are not gaining any NEW experience, skills, money, or providing other players with an in-game advantage (e.g., casting spells), it does not fall under this policy."

Tending your own bleeders does not meet the stated things that fall under that policy, so I would have assumed it would be okay. Yes, the first sentence of the policy is a catch-all which is why this was a grey area, and why the question was asked in the first place.

Thanks again!
Aluriaz
Prev_page Previous 1 3