Prev_page Previous 1 3
Idle drain 01/21/2013 09:58 PM CST
Is it against policy to go hide somewhere gain no experience and just sit and drain your skills?
Re: Idle drain 01/21/2013 10:02 PM CST
I don't think so.

- Buuwl
Re: Idle drain 01/21/2013 10:05 PM CST
> Is it against policy to go hide somewhere gain no experience and just sit and drain your skills?

As long as you gain no benefit other than draining. No 'being moved around' like via travel scripts, no new experience added to pools, no money generated, no healing given or granted, etc.

Best advice is to type 'sleep' to enter exp sleep mode, and lock yourself in a room. And/or put in an exp check with your idle script that quits when everything hits 0.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Idle drain 01/21/2013 10:10 PM CST
Inns work well for this, also homes if you own one. Plus it makes sense to "sleep" in one :)

You've reached the uninformative help match I haven't written yet.

http://i.imgur.com/fBq8R.jpg
Re: Idle drain 01/21/2013 10:12 PM CST
with the new cyclic spells, make sure you don't have one of those up as well. and as the other poster said, its best to be in either a private home or lock yourself in a private room <inn or something> so as not to have someone else come in and inadvertantly turn on your learning.

Log-out drain though is best, so there's really no need to sit in game unless you have to to wait out some other type of timer <i.e. the 1-hour steal thing for example>.

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>
Re: Idle drain 01/21/2013 11:08 PM CST
>Log-out drain though is best, so there's really no need to sit in game unless you have to to wait out some other type of timer.

I'm sorry but that's about the most incorrect thing I've ever read on the forums.

Log-out drain is only best if that character is offline for 8 hours or more without interruption.

Any other amount of time, you're better off afk draining, which Solomon himself has said (I'm pretty sure this is an exact quote) "will never, ever, be against policy".

Trouble is 9 times out of 10 someone gets busted and they come to the forums and post "aww man I was just afk draining", when they were actually scripting for exp gains, or afking a trader in hiding to keep a shop open, teaching while afk, listening to a class while afk, or any other of a dozen other things that may or may not be exp, but may be other "gains".

The key really is you can't be doing anything that has any kind gain, RPA points, coins, items, exp and so on... only your existing field experience is acceptable.

Also be careful that your afk/idle script doesn't scroll the game, you'll get busted for that too.
Re: Idle drain 01/21/2013 11:18 PM CST
<<No 'being moved around' like via travel scripts>>

I'd like to correct this. Travel is not considered an in game advantage. Travel while AFK in and of itself will not confer a warning.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Idle drain 01/21/2013 11:55 PM CST

>I'd like to correct this. Travel is not considered an in game advantage. Travel while AFK in and of itself will not confer a warning.

I'm not saying its proof but I know I've read posts that state other wise, and this is the first time I've ever read anyone post that afk travel is ok.
_____
News 5 17

>Any activity that results in ANY benefit to either you or another player while being unresponsive to the gaming environment will be considered against policy.

Traveling from point A to point B, is definitely a benefit.
_____

Unless you just mean riding on a ferry, or the gondola or player boats (which I could see as questionable somehow).

I swear there used to be a section just about about Scripted AFK travel not being acceptable in the in-game news policy, but I don't see it now.

Either way, whats your source, if you don't mind?
Re: Idle drain 01/22/2013 12:08 AM CST
>Traveling from point A to point B, is definitely a benefit.

No, it is not. Traveling is not inherently a benefit. Solomon has stated this in the past as have other GM's i'm sure.

AFK travel IS Ok, so long as you do not gain any field experience while doing so, i.e. swimming the Faldesu/Selgotha, climbing the ropes to and from Rossman's, etc. As long as you do not gain any experience along the way it is fine.

Blackguard Danoryiel

"Sogan udazama umbunor fau arrazoi inishatu seiremisai. (Only the fallen have nothing to despair)"
Re: Idle drain 01/22/2013 12:09 AM CST
<<Either way, whats your source, if you don't mind?>>

I'd like to point you to

https://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/DragonRealms%20Policy%20Discussions/Scripting%20policy/view/685

<<
Travel scripts are not experience gain (Unless, you know, they are. Which they can be if you're climbing or swimming or so forth) and will not get you an long term experience scripting violation.

DR-Raesh
>>

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Idle drain 03/26/2013 12:09 PM CDT
Since, I find it difficult to interpret the policies. Can anyone tell me what their scripts look like to accomplish idle drain? I saw someone mention not to cause scroll, and I want to make sure I don't run afoul of any rules that I don't know about.
Re: Idle drain 03/26/2013 12:16 PM CDT
START:
put sleep
put exp
pause 60
goto START

should cover it.
Re: Idle drain 03/26/2013 12:41 PM CDT

I use a variation of the 60 sec exp checks but have it quit after an hour. I've made a poor choice of heavy traffic drain spots before and ended up dead after someone AOEd so some sort of vit check in there might be useful to, depending on where you are going to be draining.

Jalika
Re: Idle drain 03/26/2013 12:53 PM CDT
Good Point, I'm fairly young and I play an open character. I have taken a bolt to the face or two that resulted in insta death. I'm not even close to the age where I would instigate such an occurance. I tend to figure if I drain in town somewhere at least the person that downed me will get a fine. Will players that kill an open character be fined if it occurs in town?
Re: Idle drain 03/26/2013 01:19 PM CDT

Please put in a command to exit if you character dies.

I hate finding sleeping characters who are dead and are still there an hour later.
Re: Idle drain 03/26/2013 03:06 PM CDT
>>Guicharda: Since, I find it difficult to interpret the policies. Can anyone tell me what their scripts look like to accomplish idle drain? I saw someone mention not to cause scroll, and I want to make sure I don't run afoul of any rules that I don't know about.

For Genie:

sleep

send stop play
waitforre ^You stop|^In the name

send stow right
waitforre ^You put|^Stow what|^There isn't|^The .+ is too long to fit in the

send stow left
waitforre ^You put|^Stow what|^There isn't|^The .+ is too long to fit in the

send stop teach
waitforre ^You stop|^But you

send stop listen
waitforre ^You stop|^But you

send release all
waitforre ^You aren't harnessing any mana|^You aren't preparing a spell|^You have no cyclic spell active to release

send avoid !all
waitforre ^All AVOID options turned on
send sleep
waitforre ^You relax|^You are already

send close my $pack
waitforre ^You|^That|^The|^What
send close my first pouch
send close my second pouch
send close my lockpick case
send close my $sheath

send demeanor cold
waitforre ^You decide

send .idle

idle

action goto exit when ^\s+No skills have field experience or none meet your criteria!$

put /timers end all

put /timers start idle

idle:
put skills
pause 60

put look
pause 60
put /timers list

goto idle

exit:
exit

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!
Re: Idle drain 03/26/2013 07:55 PM CDT
umm... how about logging out and just letting your exp drain instead? No risk of waking up dead the next day that way, unless of course you're already under some form of GM warning where you've lost the ability to drain experience when logged...

"EMPATHS RULE ELANTHIA -- ALL SHALL LOVE US AND DESPAAAAAIR" ~GM Melete
Re: Idle drain 03/26/2013 08:10 PM CDT
>>umm... how about logging out and just letting your exp drain instead?

Experience drains faster while logged in.
Re: Idle drain 03/26/2013 08:43 PM CDT
>>umm... how about logging out and just letting your exp drain instead?

>>> Experience drains faster while logged in.

If you are going to be logged off longer then 7.99 hours, you should offline drain. Anything less its more beneficial to stay online for 90 minutes? (tert drain from 34 to 0)
Re: Idle drain 03/26/2013 08:59 PM CDT
>> If you are going to be logged off longer then 7.99 hours, you should offline drain. Anything less its more beneficial to stay online for 90 minutes? (tert drain from 34 to 0)

One point to be made here is that offline drain does not drain bonus pool. So if you want to drain your bonus pools, staying IG to drain is the best thing. You can just set your exp script to log you off when your field experience goes clear.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Idle drain 03/26/2013 09:56 PM CDT
>> One point to be made here is that offline drain does not drain bonus pool. So if you want to drain your bonus pools, staying IG to drain is the best thing.

Ahhh. Very good point.
Re: Idle drain 03/26/2013 10:04 PM CDT
I should point out that if you set your script to log you out when injured, it's considered mechanics abuse to log out to avoid death.

http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Post:TEST_fatigue_pt_1_-_6/28/2009_-_21:46:13

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Idle drain 03/27/2013 08:33 AM CDT
She definitely makes mention of 'combat logging' though. I hope that logging out when dead so you avoid losing all your items while standing and not gaining any new exp isn't really a horrid evil of mech abuse.

Jalika
Re: Idle drain 03/27/2013 09:09 AM CDT
<<One point to be made here is that offline drain does not drain bonus pool. So if you want to drain your bonus pools, staying IG to drain is the best thing>>

I doubt the validity of that statement. If it does work that way it needs to be fixed immediately. Causal gamer shouldn't be penalized if they can't stay in game 24 hours

Yamcer

Re: Idle drain 03/27/2013 11:18 AM CDT
>...Causal gamer shouldn't be penalized if they can't stay in game 24 hours.

Who's talking about staying in game for 24 hours.

Casual or Non casual can go afk in sleep mode and let their experience drain. Not sure why it's any different for casuals.
Re: Idle drain 03/27/2013 01:27 PM CDT
>> I doubt the validity of that statement. If it does work that way it needs to be fixed immediately. Causal gamer shouldn't be penalized if they can't stay in game 24 hours

Try it for yourself and stop being THAT guy.

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Idle drain 03/27/2013 01:54 PM CDT
<<Try it for yourself and stop being THAT guy.>>

I continue to doubt the validity of your statement. If it is actually true then there is a bug that needs to be squashed.

https://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Abilities,%20Skills%20and%20Magic/The%20Experience%20System/view/2248

>>How does the bonus pool work with regards to exp drain upon login? I don't care if it works for it or not just curious.
It works like "Whoa good morning indeed!"
Translation: Double bits all the way down the train as long as your pools are turned on and you have bonus bits.

Yamcer

Re: Idle drain 03/27/2013 02:12 PM CDT

First, this isn't the conflicts folder. Let's stop the bickering.

Be smart about where you are leaving your character. Invasions happen anywhere.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Idle drain 03/27/2013 03:38 PM CDT
>> I doubt the validity of that statement. If it does work that way it needs to be fixed immediately. Causal gamer shouldn't be penalized if they can't stay in game 24 hours

Um. You realize that there is a maximum time a pool drains before 0? I think tertiarty pools are 90 minutes. That means you only have to stay online for 90 minutes to drain ALL exp to 0.

Also, double exp is a finite resource, everyone will ultimately drain what they are owed.
Re: Idle drain 03/27/2013 06:17 PM CDT
>>That means you only have to stay online for 90 minutes to drain ALL exp to 0.<<

Once again, DaenarDR is wrong. This information is completely false. Having scripted it, checked, it, timed it on dozens of different occasions, my usual drain time to zero is between 110 to 160 minutes depending on number of skills that are sitting at 34/34 when I begin the drain. I've got Daenar on ignore, but once in a while have to respond to prevent egregious misinformation being spread and others actually buying into it.

"EMPATHS RULE ELANTHIA -- ALL SHALL LOVE US AND DESPAAAAAIR" ~GM Melete
Re: Idle drain 03/27/2013 06:49 PM CDT
>> I continue to doubt the validity of your statement.

You realize pool drain is based off of RPA drain? And that it doesn't work upon login? And that RPA toggle was nerfed AFTER your quoted post?

You realize I've observed this dozens of times?

>> If it is actually true then there is a bug that needs to be squashed.

Protip: Don't post if you aren't willing to invest any time into fact-checking.

Re: Idle drain 03/27/2013 07:30 PM CDT
<<You realize pool drain is based off of RPA drain?>>

No it isn't. Bonus pool drain happens at any point you drain exp bits into real ranks. This will stack with RPA drain to get a boost, but isn't "tied" to it.

<<And that it doesn't work upon login?>>

And the GMs have stated that is should work during the exp log in and work very very well. They have also stated that the exp bonus pools combines well with level 4 RPAs.

<<And that RPA toggle was nerfed AFTER your quoted post?>>

RPA toggle and bonus pool have nothing to do with each other.

Yamcer

Re: Idle drain 03/27/2013 08:02 PM CDT
>> No it isn't. Bonus pool drain happens at any point you drain exp bits into real ranks. This will stack with RPA drain to get a boost, but isn't "tied" to it.

I never said it was "tied" to it. I said the mechanics are "based" off of it, and that is why it is not working on login, even erroneously so. RPA mechanics were changed to disallow offline experience drain to be affected. Bonus pool drain mechanics are "based" off of RPA drain mechanics, and follow that same premise.

>> RPA toggle and bonus pool have nothing to do with each other.

Refer to my above comment. If you want to continue this conversation, test it for yourself and then reply. Otherwise stop with the trolling.

Re: Idle drain ::NUDGE:: 03/27/2013 09:10 PM CDT

Unless someone has something constructive to post, this one's going to be done.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Idle drain 03/27/2013 10:08 PM CDT
>> Once again, DaenarDR is wrong. This information is completely false. Having scripted it, checked, it, timed it on dozens of different occasions, my usual drain time to zero is between 110 to 160 minutes depending on number of skills that are sitting at 34/34 when I begin the drain. I've got Daenar on ignore, but once in a while have to respond to prevent egregious misinformation being spread and others actually buying into it.

Are you high? It doesn't matter how many skills are at 34/34. The only thing that matters is the slowest rate, e.g. Tertiary.

Also if you notice in my post, i said "I THINK ITS 90 minutes." So, if you tested it and its 160 minutes. That's great. Doesn't change my point at all.
Re: Idle drain 03/28/2013 08:49 AM CDT
I hope this is considered constructive :-).

After reading through all of the comments I'd like to know definitively whether having a trigger in an idle drain script that logs me out upon death violates policy or not. I'm not to worried about being killed during an invasion as I've only come across one in the few months I've come back that seems like a rare occurrence. I have on the other hand been experience random acts of violence that left me dead. I guess I could switch my profile to closed if I wanted to idle drain, but I really would prefer just to add a trigger to log out upon death.
Re: Idle drain 03/28/2013 11:06 AM CDT

From the perspective of someone who has stumbled across too many unresponsive corpses who linger for far longer than would happen unless they are scripting- just put in a trigger.

Of course the corpses I stumble across all are unresponsive in combat areas and I could speculate that they were AFK combat scripting but I don't really KNOW that they were AFK while in combat.....just that they were AFK after combat...lol
Re: Idle drain 03/28/2013 01:07 PM CDT
>>Guicharda: After reading through all of the comments I'd like to know definitively whether having a trigger in an idle drain script that logs me out upon death violates policy or not.

I couldn't find a red name post that directly addressed this question, but my understanding is that it is not against policy to log out after death. However, logging out to avoid death or PvP is considered to be mechanics abuse.

>>DR-Auriane: However, repeat combat logging sets off some nice jangling alarm bells that get our direct attention. This is hopefully to prevent exactly that type of scenario, which would indeed be mechanics abuse.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!
Re: Idle drain 03/28/2013 01:35 PM CDT
>>After reading through all of the comments I'd like to know definitively whether having a trigger in an idle drain script that logs me out upon death violates policy or not.

When in doubt, join The Fallen.
Re: Idle drain 03/28/2013 02:11 PM CDT
>After reading through all of the comments I'd like to know definitively whether having a trigger in an idle drain script that logs me out upon death violates policy or not.

There is no definitive yes or no answer to this. It depends upon the circumstances surrounding the death. If its a case of combat logging - then maybe.

Your best and safest bet is to be sure to put yourself behind a locked door.

Thanks!
Lyneya
Prev_page Previous 1 3