Question on Triggers and Pet Bleeders 08/25/2012 09:41 PM CDT
I just recently returned to the game and I had a question on Policy 16 relating to exceptions, specifically this passage:

'In general, if you are running a script and are responsive to the game -or- are in Rest Mode or Sleep Mode and are not gaining any NEW experience, skills, money, or providing other players with an in-game advantage (e.g., casting spells), it does not fall under this policy.'

I tend to train around a fairly odd schedule that can pull me away from my keyboard for an hour or so at very short notice, so when that happens I leave my character in a very out of the way place in REST mode. Having recently discovered the usefullness of a pet bleeder, my question is this. Am I violating the AFK policy if I'm in rest mode, and thus gaining no new xp, and I have a trigger set up to change the bandages on my pet bleeder whenever they fall off?

I asked this question via Assist, but the GH was unable to give a definitive answer and suggested I post here so a redname might rule instead.

Appreciate someone taking the time.
Re: Question on Triggers and Pet Bleeders 08/25/2012 10:55 PM CDT

Resting in an out-of-the-way place does nothing to prevent new experience from coming in especially with a pet bleeder. Make sure you SLEEP when you go afk like that. You'll keep tending but not LEARN anything from it in SLEEP mode.

-Master Ndin
Re: Question on Triggers and Pet Bleeders 08/25/2012 11:05 PM CDT
I would not recommend this at all. Bleeders can become infected. You could find yourself dead upon your return. If you're in sleep mode, great, but you could still be dead.

Elvis has left the building.
Re: Question on Triggers and Pet Bleeders 08/25/2012 11:54 PM CDT
While offline exp drain isn't as fast as online exp drain, might be safer/smarter to just take advantage of that as opposed to risking a pet bleeder giving you exp gain.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: Question on Triggers and Pet Bleeders 08/26/2012 07:47 AM CDT
Have you tried using first aid charts rather than a pet bleeder? They're a bit slower to use, but are immensely safer and teach scholarship as well.
Re: Question on Triggers and Pet Bleeders 08/27/2012 08:37 AM CDT

I'd imagine if he was looking for alternative (safer) ways to train First Aid it would be in a different folder and not in the Scripting Policy folder.

In regards to the original question, I'd probably wait to see what a red name says. I've heard of instances where even performing something beneficial while unresponsive can warrant a warning. Crafting unattended while in rest mode, Travel scripts unattended....

The safest thing you can do is logout if you have to leave your keyboard.
Re: Question on Triggers and Pet Bleeders 08/27/2012 07:16 PM CDT
>>Draigathar013: I tend to train around a fairly odd schedule that can pull me away from my keyboard for an hour or so at very short notice, so when that happens I leave my character in a very out of the way place in REST mode. Having recently discovered the usefullness of a pet bleeder, my question is this. Am I violating the AFK policy if I'm in rest mode, and thus gaining no new xp, and I have a trigger set up to change the bandages on my pet bleeder whenever they fall off?

Even if you don't gain field experience while tending wounds (due to SLEEP mode), an argument can be made that this is a material benefit to your character, since it reduces the likelihood of infection. I would avoid doing this unless a GM says that tending is an acceptable action to perform while AFK.

>>Heastrenfhero: I've heard of instances where even performing something beneficial while unresponsive can warrant a warning. Crafting unattended while in rest mode, Travel scripts unattended....

GMs have said before that it's OK to be unresponsive while running a travel script, so long as you're not gaining experience, coin, or other benefits. (Experience isn't the only benefit that comes from crafting, so you have to be attentive while doing that.)

>>DR-Raesh: Travel scripts are not experience gain (Unless, you know, they are. Which they can be if you're climbing or swimming or so forth) and will not get you an long term experience scripting violation.

>>DR-Oolan: Running a script that does not in any way generate experience or any other in game advantage will not on its own cause you to get busted. However, if you forget to enter sleep mode and passively gain experience then you could get busted. Also note that you will need to be extra careful that you don't get caught up in anything else negative such as a surprise invasion. If you cannot get yourself into a house or other similiar setting, we suggest you simply log out rather than remain in game. I hope that helps clarify for you.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!
Re: Question on Triggers and Pet Bleeders 08/28/2012 06:08 AM CDT
If you're going to be idle for up to an hour or more, it seems much more prudent and much less hassle to simply log, IMO.
Re: Question on Triggers and Pet Bleeders 08/29/2012 09:14 AM CDT
I don't know if this still happens or not because I haven't tried it lately, but gaining too much new experience used to pull you out of SLEEP mode automatically. So if you are doing this I would suggest adding another "PUT SLEEP" into your script before you tend the wound each time. That being said, I definitely would heed the words of others in regards to leaving your character logged in while you're afk for long periods. Random mobs can appear in the most unlikely places.. it's not common but I've seen it happen.
Re: Question on Triggers and Pet Bleeders 08/29/2012 01:24 PM CDT
<<gaining too much new experience used to pull you out of SLEEP mode>>

This was removed.

Kaxis

Boxes are a luxury, not a necessity. If you don't want to deal with either opening them yourself or having somebody open them for you, then you don't reap the rewards. - Zeyurn