Prev_page Previous 1
Why would anyone do this to a returning player? 05/02/2012 05:13 AM CDT
Recently, an old friend of mine returned to DR after several years. She was told by another player that "It was now okay to AFK script for experience 24/7". I explained that no, it was really not and that the penalties had actually gotten a lot worse. I told her that she might want to read NEWS 5 17. She argued that this player that had told her that afk scripting was now okay, afk scripts 24/7, is huge, and has never been busted so it must be true.

Honestly, we all see those characters that afk script and never seem to be busted, but for those that do this 24/7 and then tell returning or new players it is okay, this just seems to be extremely wrong. I realize staff is extremely busy, and I also realize that players that see the afk scripting don't really feel as if it is their responsibility to report these 24/7 scripters, but somehow the word needs to get out again that this is NOT okay in prime.

~Crimsondae
Re: Why would anyone do this to a returning player? 05/02/2012 07:58 AM CDT
Just something to keep in mind, but what can appear like 24/7 scripting may actually just be a character entering into rest mode during non-play.

Example
I train Leilond for a few hours and then I know I need to go out and do something for 4 hours so I take him to a nice quiet place, HIDE and then SLEEP and enter into rest mode so it keeps him logged in.

I return after the 4 hours and train some more, and then before bed I do the same thing -- find a quiet place, HIDE, SLEEP and enter into rest mode which lasts for maybe 3 hours before turning auto-deactivating and then the character idles out. I log back in early in the morning to repeat the same process.

So my character may appear to be logged in nearly 24/7, but I'm not actively training for that entire time.

You may be asking, "Why not just log out rather than HIDE/SLEEP/RESTMODE?" The reason is because you don't get 100% of your EXP when logging back in unless you are logged out for at least 8 hours, and I am rarely gone for more than 8 hours at a time.

Because of this I would be effectively wasting potential EXP if I were to log out and rely off of 4-6 hours of logout EXP :P

~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/Leilond
http://drzeal.forumotion.com Learn How to PvP!
Re: Why would anyone do this to a returning player? 05/02/2012 10:49 AM CDT
>>>>Because of this I would be effectively wasting potential EXP if I were to log out and rely off of 4-6 hours of logout EXP :P

As you've worded this sentiment... it is NOT true. You don't waste any potential EXP, it's all there still, in your pools and in the game world. Now you would be accurate if you described this as slowing down your conversion of exp to ranks, because as you pointed out, exp drains faster logged in than it does logged out, even with the EXP drain on login (because of it's timer.) But in the end, no actual EXP, potential or otherwise is lost here. You just minimize the time before you can refill that EXP by draining while logged in.

Also, I don't assume anybody's scripting based on time logged in alone. But when I see people camp Red Leucros for the same spot tying up the spawn rate for 6+ hrs I do kind of get suspicious. I don't sweat it though, I ignore it, or report it, depending on if it seems like an AFK scripter or just somebody camping RLeucs while cruising the boards and chatting in IRC or something.

I would advise making it clear to new and returning players that afk scripting in prime is NOT permitted and can come with heavy penalties if caught. I've noticed what seems like a small renaissance in the player base fueled by long absent returning players, and genuine newbs. Lengthy lockouts would probably be discouraging to these people, especially if they were somehow unaware of how their actions led to said lockout. (And possible skill rank loss, ouch!)
Re: Why would anyone do this to a returning player? 05/02/2012 11:02 AM CDT
>>no actual EXP, potential or otherwise is lost here. You just minimize the time before you can refill that EXP by draining while logged in.

Ahh you are right, I did word it wrong -- That's my bad. I meant the latter(minimize the time before you can refill EXP)

~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/Leilond
http://drzeal.forumotion.com Learn How to PvP!
Re: Why would anyone do this to a returning player? 05/02/2012 11:15 AM CDT

I didn't mean to imply that going into rest mode, or exp drain when not actively gaining experience would be a reason for this. This was explained to the returning player that it is OK to afk script combat or other experience gaining experience around the clock now. When I questioned this and explained it was not permitted, I was told that 'So and So stays in combat 24/7 and has never been busted." I suppose what I am saying if this is the thought process out there, there needs to be some clarification to returning players, new players, or simply the players that think this is the 'norm' .
Re: Why would anyone do this to a returning player? 05/03/2012 04:45 AM CDT

<<<<The way you posed, you sounded bitter and jealous of people who have advanced in the game beyond you>>>>

This is why I don't post on the boards often. I am not bitter or jealous. I just saw this as something that was a problem. I could care less what circle anyone is or how far they advance. Continue on attacking people. I'm done.

~Crimsondae
Re: Why would anyone do this to a returning player? 05/03/2012 07:40 AM CDT
>>I'm not trying to personally attack you on the message boards, but when your accusing a large segment of the population, who happen to have the ability to play more than you, of cheating it doesn't tend to go over well.

Ok, she can play all day if she wanted to. (She just chooses not to) You are reading way too much into the comments and even posing things she never even said. Looks like you are making weird assumptions out of nothing. Quit being so defensive it makes you look bad.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Why would anyone do this to a returning player? 05/03/2012 07:49 AM CDT
>>>>Honestly, we all see those characters that afk script and never seem to be busted

Honestly, all we see are people who are on when we check or who seem to be in a hunting area every time we pass through.

The "afk script and never seem to be busted" part is assumption based on those perceptions, but doesn't mean that those people are actually doing anything wrong. If you think that they are then you probably should report them.

If you actually know someone who you're certain is afk scripting "24/7" then you definitely should report them.

If you've reported someone for afk scripting and you still see them at it later then they probably weren't actually afk.
Re: Why would anyone do this to a returning player? 05/03/2012 07:59 AM CDT

>>>Honestly, all we see are people who are on when we check or who seem to be in a hunting area every time we pass through.<<<

This I agree with. Not everyone we see is AFK scripting NOR did I say or mean that a large segment of players AFK script, and I apologize if that is how that comment came across. My entire intention of this post was to let those that truly believe AFK scripting is okay is to let them know that policy hasn't changed. The situation where a returning player was told that it was acceptable DID occur.
Re: Why would anyone do this to a returning player? 05/03/2012 08:02 AM CDT
<<This I agree with. Not everyone we see is AFK scripting NOR did I say or mean that a large segment of players AFK script, and I apologize if that is how that comment came across. My entire intention of this post was to let those that truly believe AFK scripting is okay is to let them know that policy hasn't changed. The situation where a returning player was told that it was acceptable DID occur. >>

That makes complete sense, I deleted my last post. Whomever told the returning player that info is doing a great disservice. I had a character in prime get script checked a week ago, so trust me, they are still checking, and they are still watching. I think the majority of players think/understand, that scripting is still being enforced.

- Buuwl
Re: Why would anyone do this to a returning player? 05/03/2012 08:08 AM CDT
>If you've reported someone for afk scripting and you still see them at it later then they probably weren't actually afk.

As someone that plays prime and TF, and is known widely in prime for reporting AFK scripters, i gotta tell ya. Its possible to set triggers to be able to pass afk checks, and still be afk. I've had plenty of people tell me they do this. Now of course I can't prove that they are AFK because of this and it drives me absolutely crazy. You get the limited size hunting area such as gryphons in Rossmans, taken over by people who are consistently unresponsive when talked to. Now..if they were unresponsive only a few times...I can accept that they are cruising the boards, reading their FB wall..or somesuch, but I'm talking about people who absolutely NEVER respond when talked to or interacted with.

The times I log in, are general early AM hours in the US, and I come across a lot of people that are quite simply unresponsive to the game environment (the definition of the afk policy?) every single morning. Now I've long since decided that I cannot possibly report all of these, so I end up picking and choosing my battles. The ones I report are the ones whose afk script affects me adversely someway, like casting spells that injure me as I pass through etc.

I am unsure why anyone would pay to play a RP game, then set it up so they don't HAVE to play. If you want to do that...go to TF. Thats where I went to learn more about the different guilds and how they work and make myself better scripts. I have scripts for everything, but I can 100% guarantee you'd NEVER catch me afk scripting in prime, because I don't see the point.

Back to the point of the original post. Crimsondae..I agree wholeheartedly with you that the new player should never have been told that. But the point about they will believe whatever they want to, no matter what you tell them, is well made. You let them know the rules, now its down to them to make their decision.
Re: Why would anyone do this to a returning player? 05/03/2012 08:36 AM CDT
>>You get the limited size hunting area such as gryphons in Rossmans, taken over by people who are consistently unresponsive when talked to. Now..if they were unresponsive only a few times...I can accept that they are cruising the boards, reading their FB wall..or somesuch, but I'm talking about people who absolutely NEVER respond when talked to or interacted with.

I routinely ignore people who come into my room and ask to hunt with me. Grypons in rossman's are completely to blame for my bad attitude in this respect but it's true and still doesn't mean that i'm not at the keyboard. I simply don't want to hunt with you or bother arguing about why.
Re: Why would anyone do this to a returning player? 05/03/2012 10:31 AM CDT
>>The "afk script and never seem to be busted" part is assumption based on those perceptions, but doesn't mean that those people are actually doing anything wrong. If you think that they are then you probably should report them.

While these assumptions should generally be avoided, I agree, in my experience with the places that I have hunted in there are people who do this. Having firsthand knowledge knowing that these people are AFK scripting pretty much 24/7 I still really don't care, because number one I don't want to do anyone's job for them. Two, I generally don't report people for AFK scripting because there's that chance they figure out who reported them and they become distraught with anger at you and ruin your gaming experience at any opportunity they can. Three, the last time I reported someone for AFK scripting a very long time ago, somehow the GM found it in their best interest to check if I was also AFK scripting, which I was not.
Re: Why would anyone do this to a returning player? 05/03/2012 04:50 PM CDT
In the end, Crimson's right, it wouldn't hurt with the influx of returning players and authentic newbs to make sure it was clear that current policy is 0 afk-scripting tolerance. Even if the real world lags behind the ideal in this sense.

If people afk script long enough, they're going to eventually get caught. Days, weeks, months, years, eventually everybody seemingly gets their number pulled and gets a check.

If I was a newb who had been given bad information about the script policy, and then got smacked with a short lockout and the removal of skills, I'd be very discouraged. This is the scenario Crimson is concerned about avoiding, and it is something we should all want prevented.
Re: Why would anyone do this to a returning player? 05/04/2012 04:48 PM CDT
<<Back to the point of the original post. Crimsondae..I agree wholeheartedly with you that the new player should never have been told that. But the point about they will believe whatever they want to, no matter what you tell them, is well made. You let them know the rules, now its down to them to make their decision.>>

This, combined with a hearty helping of, "Why would they believe what a player said over what's written in Policy and NEWS." or why they wouldn't take a couple of minutes to ask a staff member if there was any sort of confusion on the matter.

Solomon
Re: Why would anyone do this to a returning player? 05/06/2012 10:06 AM CDT
>>This, combined with a hearty helping of, "Why would they believe what a player said over what's written in Policy and NEWS." or why they wouldn't take a couple of minutes to ask a staff member if there was any sort of confusion on the matter.

The only answer I can possibly construct is that deep in their heart, they know it's probably too good to be true and thus don't want to hear an official answer because then they'd be knowingly breaking policy instead of just strongly suspecting so. Moral relativism FTW?

~player of Gulphphunger
Re: Why would anyone do this to a returning player? 05/07/2012 11:46 AM CDT

Not sure what you actually want an answer to...

>Why would anyone do this to a returning player?

To be a jerk, or seem impressive. Same reason just about everyone does what they do... ever.

>...and then tell returning or new players it is okay, this just seems to be extremely wrong

Yes it is wrong, but you want the staff to some how proactively stop players from lying to other players? Maybe that's part of 3.0 but I doubt it.

>I also realize that players that see the afk scripting don't really feel as if it is their responsibility to report these 24/7 scripters

I have to respectfully say, saying that you realize what other people are feeling is just a really bad idea, because you aren't someone else.

Seriously, the policy is very clear AND the game spams you at every log in to read new NEWS items, which when your new is ALL of them, INCLUDING several about AFK scripting AND how to report it.
The one year wipe 05/07/2012 01:15 PM CDT
Just curious if anyone can confirm that after a year an account with a warning is wiped clean. Read something to this effect on a different message board. Basically what it was saying was your account loses its flags/warnings after a year of being clean. They were not suggesting any penalties, I.E. lost stats would be refunded. Just reset back to the zero levels for penalties.

I'm just curious if any GM has ever said this is the case. I can't see an official post to the matter, but its another one of those "rumors" that seems to persist and is brought up every now and again. Personally I believe this to be a false rumor.

- Buuwl
Re: The one year wipe 05/07/2012 08:29 PM CDT
>Just curious if anyone can confirm that after a year an account with a warning is wiped clean.

Well, there's not exactly a straightforward answer to this question. Let me see if I can clear it up for you a little bit.

When we look at a player's history, we don't just look at warnings. We look at all of the GM notes on the account and see how many times a person has been talked to, how many times they've been on the edge and given the benefit of the doubt. We consider whether they're polite or belligerent when dealing with staff members. We take into account whether or not the account holder is generally honest (if we've been able to prove otherwise).

All of that said, Official Warnings stay on your account forever. We just don't always consider ONLY the warnings, we look at the entire history.

If you got a PVP warning in January of last year -- you were clearly in the wrong but gave the full story to the investigating GM without a hassle, treated the GM with respect, and accepted responsibility for your actions -- * and then refrained from repeating the policy violating actions again in the future * -- then when you get pulled up next week because of a misuderstanding, we're much more likely to take your word for the fact that it was a misunderstanding.

If, every time you end up in a consult room, its a game of 50 questions and circular discussion trying to get to the truth of the matter, just to have the investigating GM discover that you weren't actually being 100% honest about the order of events or the base reason for the consent, and this is routine for the account holder -- in other words, if you're habitually in the grey area, then yes that warning will effect things.

AFK warnings are a completely different animal. Mistakes happen sometimes, and we recognize that. If you receive an AFK warning, you wont be hit with the skill/stat penalties associated with that warning UNLESS you have been caught AFK scripting within the past year or so. If you have been busted recently, then the penalties for the warning are applied, and compound with each additional warning. See NEWS 5 17 for more specific information there.

AFK warnings do not generally have any effect on PVP warnings unless the account holder seems to have a problem with policy in its entirety and the account is one big mess of all different sorts of violations. Then we start talking about things like HMC.

Any clearer?

~ L
Re: The one year wipe 05/07/2012 10:54 PM CDT
>>All of that said, Official Warnings stay on your account forever. We just don't always consider ONLY the warnings, we look at the entire history.

>>If you got a PVP warning in January of last year

OP please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the question was specifically referring to AFK scripting warnings (and -10% skill penalties, etc)

Apu
_
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Apu
Re: The one year wipe 05/08/2012 07:54 AM CDT
AFK warnings were addressed at the end of the post.
Re: The one year wipe 05/08/2012 10:58 PM CDT
>>AFK warnings were addressed at the end of the post.

O rite, I missed that

Apu
_
Re: The one year wipe 06/20/2012 08:43 AM CDT
On the subject of scripting policy and repercussions if caught AFK scripting...

I'd like to see one of two things happen. Either allow out right AFK scripting as long as it does not directly interfere with the game play of other folks (eg. No scripting at the North East Gate for days collecting rocks and cluttering the room so others cannot see kind of thing) or make it such that hitting the level cap becomes a relatively easy thing to do -- on the order of a year playing by hand instead of a decade plus like some folks.

More characters would feel a strong sense of accomplishment and then be able to participate in a meaningful way in community events like wars or invasions. Lets face it, nobody wants to be the guy dragging the dead around because that is all he can do. Additionally more folks might be encouraged to start up a second character and play that consistently without feeling as if their primary character has fallen behind. I know I'd love to try a ranger but I don't want to have a second account and I don't want to take away from my time training my barbarian.

Resources could be freed up from having to constantly police and reprimand the player base and development could focus on game wide events and RP on a more consistent basis. I know for me, a majority of the fun times I've had in the game occurred during major events like the Sorrow War or the invasion of the Outcasts. Nobody remembers or enjoys swinging that scimitar for the 1,473,857th time in order to gain one more experience bit in the hopes of gaining a rank. That swing wasn't meaningful or memorable to anyone. Major events that your character participates in will be what defines your memories of the time you've spent in Dragonrealms.

Dunno... just food for thought.
Re: The one year wipe 06/20/2012 09:05 AM CDT
>>Dunno... just food for thought.

Kinda hate this whole idea.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: The one year wipe 06/20/2012 10:44 AM CDT
I know I've had plenty of fun in big invasions sneaking around trying to save dead people as a low level character because that's all I could do. Trying not to die and being helpful was amazing.

I also like the growing process. It's neat advancing through the hunting areas.

I agree I don't play many secondaries because I'm trying to train my main too much, but that's simply a choice. Either play multiple characters and advance slow, play one and go faster or get two accounts.
Re: The one year wipe 06/20/2012 11:44 AM CDT
>>Dunno... just food for thought.<<

I hate the idea. For $5 more a month you can join TF and script your way to 150th circle in one year in any guild. Depending on your scripting abilities, you can actually do it much faster than a year.

Elvis has left the building.
Re: The one year wipe 06/20/2012 08:51 PM CDT
Another vote for hate the idea.

>>More characters would feel a strong sense of accomplishment

Disagree. Capping out in a year or less is for The Fallen or WoW (not that WoW should take a year, but whatever). TO rush to cap that fast in non-TF DR defeats the point. It robs you of the ride.

>>Lets face it, nobody wants to be the guy dragging the dead around because that is all he can do

Also disagree. Support like this during invasions are included in the fondest memories of a whole mess of DR players. If dragging and triage are not for you, that's cool. But there are a TON of people who have greatly enjoyed doing just that.

~The Prydaen~
Re: The one year wipe 06/20/2012 10:07 PM CDT
>>I'd like to see one of two things happen. Either allow out right AFK scripting as long as it does not directly interfere with the game play of other folks (eg. No scripting at the North East Gate for days collecting rocks and cluttering the room so others cannot see kind of thing) or make it such that hitting the level cap becomes a relatively easy thing to do -- on the order of a year playing by hand instead of a decade plus like some folks.

I hate the first idea, and the second idea is pretty much already true so I don't mind it

Apu
_
Re: The one year wipe 06/21/2012 04:32 AM CDT
I'm still here after ~16 because there's so much you can do without having to hit the level cap or feeling like you have to.

I don't like either idea.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: The one year wipe 06/21/2012 06:16 AM CDT
I've played a lot of MUSHes that do character wipes every year or so.

I wouldn't pay for any of them.
Re: The one year wipe 06/21/2012 08:09 AM CDT
I can understand the desire to get bigger, faster. However, the stated desire is to be able to participate in RP. The problem is, how can you participate in RP if you're asleep at the wheel?

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: The one year wipe 06/22/2012 02:36 AM CDT
I think we can all agree on one thing - the entire scripting situation is just annoying. Whether your for it or against it. Back in the day it was a chance you took. If you were caught scripting by your peers, it was likely they'd take advantage of the situation and kill you. Whether to retaliate or not was your choice, but that was the chance you took for scripting. Ofcourse you had the retards who cried & reported that they were attacked, but I felt it was a fair trade off. If I was caught @ the tree in Arthe Dale and somebody took me out, I'd hunt them down later. That was one of the only reasons I saved my game logs, so I could go back and find out what happened. (If I remember correctly, old Wizard would close when you /exit?). Then GMs started enforcing the no scripting policy - Some to an extreme (Like a certain elder GM which banned me for 30 days while I was running an ATK script back before AIM was released - full screen AOL responding to IMs for ~ 5 minutes. 3 quick checks later and wham! Banned. I was typing my response as she sent me the warning, and still threw me in the lockout room. She had it out for me anyway so it wasn't much of a surprise.)

There are a LOT of people who currently script, and just get passed the checks or don't get checked. Whether they are full on AFK scripting, or are in a situation where they are at home/on a computer for a large chunk of the day, or have a job where they are Able to run scripts in the background. Unfortunately there are also a lot of us who aren't home all day/most the day, or don't have a work environment where they can "monitor" a DR while they script all day. This puts us at a huge disadvantage. The 8 hrs Rested XP system is cool and helps things move a little when your gone off to work. The new EXP System is AWESOME and helps out tremendously. However, there's no substitution for time spent actively training.

Maybe some of you are happy sneaking around during an invasion and dragging bodies. I never have been. Further, my character isnt a stealthy type. He's all about goin in and blowin' stuff up. So not only do I WANT to catch up to these big guys, but I NEED to catch up to these big guys so I can participate. A lot of the stuff I've seen has been geared towards the bigger players. That's understandable. You don't really want 1 guy "Winning" the invasion.

Another thing is PvP. How are you gonna compete with these guys that are 100+? Nobody is going to wait for you to catch up.

I say let people script. Put a limit on daily XP Gain so you won't have an issue with people doing it 24/7. That or when 3.0 hits, Everybody is a commoner. You don't lose your items, money or other stuff like houses, just starting fresh stat & skill wise. Fair enough, Everybody gets a fresh start. Too many people got away with true AFK Scripting for so long over the years that you can't possibly expect to compete in a reasonable amount of time.
Re: The one year wipe 06/22/2012 02:45 AM CDT
>>I think we can all agree on one thing - the entire scripting situation is just annoying. Whether your for it or against it. Back in the day it was a chance you took. If you were caught scripting by your peers, it was likely they'd take advantage of the situation and kill you. Whether to retaliate or not was your choice, but that was the chance you took for scripting. Ofcourse you had the retards who cried & reported that they were attacked, but I felt it was a fair trade off. If I was caught @ the tree in Arthe Dale and somebody took me out, I'd hunt them down later.

>>Maybe some of you are happy sneaking around during an invasion and dragging bodies. I never have been. Further, my character isnt a stealthy type. He's all about goin in and blowin' stuff up. So not only do I WANT to catch up to these big guys, but I NEED to catch up to these big guys so I can participate.

Simutronics already makes a game tailored just for you, it is called The Fallen. You should probably play that instead of DR Prime

Apu
_
Re: The one year wipe 06/22/2012 02:56 AM CDT
>>Another thing is PvP. How are you gonna compete with these guys that are 100+?

They didn't get there in a year, either.

>>Put a limit on daily XP Gain so you won't have an issue with people doing it 24/7.

No way. There is no reason someone should be limited or punished if they have the time and will to play 18 hours a day.

~The Prydaen~
Re: The one year wipe 06/22/2012 10:44 AM CDT
Any limits to exp possible to gain in a period of time, or allowing 24/7 scripting in prime would seriously damage the game IMO. I for one, would go elsewhere.
Re: The one year wipe 06/22/2012 10:53 AM CDT
>Simutronics already makes a game tailored just for you, it is called The Fallen. You should probably play that instead of DR Prime

No, that was built and tailored for the people who were getting locked out and banned. People who didn't want to get hassled over vulgarity, IC/OOC or PvP. Those was wanted a pure numbers game and not interested in interaction with anybody or anything else. Maybe theres been some change since then, but it certainly wasn't tailored for what I want.

I'm talking about being able to come in and enjoy the game thats been built. Being able to get involved with the important events that happen. I'm -not- saying I'm for 24/7 scripting, thats why I suggested a daily XP cap. I'm talking about being able to script while your working so you can attempt to enjoy the game when your not. My driving reasoning is for anybody that wants to be relevant in ANYTHING going on within the first 2 years of their characters creation. Without scripting its going to be DAMN hard, unless you are able to be at your computer for the majority of the day.

>They didn't get there in a year, either.

Actually, several of them have bought characters - Which were scripted. Your right tho, they've scripted for much longer than a year.

>No way. There is no reason someone should be limited or punished if they have the time and will to play 18 hours a day.

A limit to xp gained after 18 hrs of gameplay is incredibly reasonable. If your playing for more than that - Your scripting. Plain and simple. Truth be told, if your running a script while your reading these boards, its no different than afk scripting. If you run to the toilet. Guess what. Gotta go to the fridge to get another soda? Answer the phone? Yup. The only difference between that and firing up a script before going to work is "response" time when you get script checked by a GM.
Re: The one year wipe 06/22/2012 10:53 AM CDT
Yeah...limiting gains would just mean that those at the top will always be at the top and there is zero hope to catch up. I'd also wager that a vast majority of players would flat out quit if there was ever a skill wipe. Not only would it not fix anything to remove 15years worth of effort, even if every person stuck around can you imagine how well that'd work out for hunting? 500 people logged in to try to hunt rats/goblins/etc would not end well hahaha

-=Issus=-
Re: The one year wipe 06/22/2012 11:07 AM CDT
>>I'm talking about being able to come in and enjoy the game thats been built. Being able to get involved with the important events that happen. I'm -not- saying I'm for 24/7 scripting, thats why I suggested a daily XP cap. I'm talking about being able to script while your working so you can attempt to enjoy the game when your not. My driving reasoning is for anybody that wants to be relevant in ANYTHING going on within the first 2 years of their characters creation. Without scripting its going to be DAMN hard, unless you are able to be at your computer for the majority of the day.

There's no circle/skill requirement for events. Plenty of people get involved without being anywhere near the top tier skill wise. You're imagining there's this high rank mecca where the world opens up and you're the best forever. It doesn't happen, to anyone, ever.

>>A limit to xp gained after 18 hrs of gameplay is incredibly reasonable. If your playing for more than that - Your scripting. Plain and simple. Truth be told, if your running a script while your reading these boards, its no different than afk scripting. If you run to the toilet. Guess what. Gotta go to the fridge to get another soda? Answer the phone? Yup. The only difference between that and firing up a script before going to work is "response" time when you get script checked by a GM.

Scripting isn't against policy. And it is different than AFK scripting. AFK scripting means you're being unresponsive to the gaming environment. While it is possible to be considered AFK while you're reading the boards because you're not responding in game to things, reading the boards does not equate to AFK scripting by default.

You sound like you want a system tailored to put you in a position to be on top. Well, some people have already put the effort in to be on top and changing the system to replace them with you is a pretty bad idea. Do I think character sales are a problem? Absolutely. Do I think the solution is to nuke all characters? Absolutely not.

-=Issus=-
Re: The one year wipe 06/22/2012 11:31 AM CDT
<<I'd also wager that a vast majority of players would flat out quit if there was ever a skill wipe.>>

this.

Simu is not in business to cut their own throat.

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: The one year wipe 06/22/2012 11:54 AM CDT
>>A limit to xp gained after 18 hrs of gameplay is incredibly reasonable.

It's not reasonable to people who can play for more than 18 hours.

>>If your playing for more than that - Your scripting. Plain and simple.

There aren't any rules against scripting. If you meant to say that you're AFK scripting if you're on for more than 18 hours a day you're just plain wrong. Plenty of us log in, lock our skills and then park someplace to let them drain for multiple hours. A practice which is completely within the rules of play.

>>Truth be told, if your running a script while your reading these boards, its no different than afk scripting.

Not really, I'm reading the boards currently and watching the game client at the same time.

>> If you run to the toilet. Guess what. Gotta go to the fridge to get another soda? Answer the phone? Yup. The only difference between that and firing up a script before going to work is "response" time when you get script checked by a GM.

If you're passing script checks then you're responsive to the game environment. If you can't pass the check then you're not. What you're doing when you pass or don't doesn't have anything to do with it.
Prev_page Previous 1