Prev_page Previous 1
this is the way you treat paying customers? 01/02/2012 11:05 PM CST

So I'm sitting in a room training skills and a mesquito starts buzzing around. I'm curious what will happen with it and watch it for awhile. Next thing you know I'm being warned for scripting. How is this just? If you want to see if I'm afk then come in and talk to me. It seems like simutronics wants to trick people into being warned for scripting. I have not been playing that long and I was visited before by a gm to see if I was scripting. He actually came into the room and talked to me. You people don't even have consistency or warn us about your practices.

I'm completely baffled at how you think you're going to keep me as a paying customer with this type of treatment.
Re: this is the way you treat paying customers? 01/02/2012 11:09 PM CST
Go ahead, pull the other one.

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Re: this is the way you treat paying customers? 01/02/2012 11:10 PM CST
I don't know if the process changed recently, but normally things start off as IC things (like a mosquito buzzing around) but eventually enter OOC territory with a GM "[SEND]"ing you a message.
Re: this is the way you treat paying customers? 01/02/2012 11:14 PM CST
They also usually prompt you somehow to respond to them. I've only ever seen two script checks. Once was a bird I had to wave to, and it was very obvious that I had to wave to it. The other was a cat that showed up and played with my character's sandals. I ended up feeding it crab claws or something and got a RPA out of the deal.

It you see something odd, just respond to it. You never know what will happen. :)

---
Inauri
Re: this is the way you treat paying customers? 01/03/2012 01:30 AM CST

Gm did not send me any message. Mesquito was buzzing around for awhile and then I was punished.
Re: this is the way you treat paying customers? 01/03/2012 01:57 AM CST
>>Jwark4: So I'm sitting in a room training skills and a mesquito starts buzzing around. I'm curious what will happen with it and watch it for awhile. Next thing you know I'm being warned for scripting. How is this just?

Without seeing the entire script check, I can't say whether you should've known that you were supposed to respond to the mosquito, but in my experience, it's very obvious when you are being script checked. A script check may begin as something subtle, but it becomes increasingly obvious. By the end (usually several minutes later), something is repeatedly demanding a response from you.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!
Re: this is the way you treat paying customers? 01/03/2012 02:08 AM CST

Yes it started becoming very frequent. I still was curious what was going to happen. I did not suspect someone was purposely trying to get me in trouble. It said "you better slap it" or something but I didn't want to. What exactly is obvious? The mesquito or what the reason is behind it?
Re: this is the way you treat paying customers? 01/03/2012 02:13 AM CST
>>Yes it started becoming very frequent. I still was curious what was going to happen. I did not suspect someone was purposely trying to get me in trouble. It said "you better slap it" or something but I didn't want to. What exactly is obvious? The mesquito or what the reason is behind it?

A mosquito was buzzing around your ear and the messaging intentionally indicated you should slap it. This occurred frequently and for a nice chunk of time.

You didn't respond at all? You don't have to follow the messaging prompt by slapping it; you could curse, or swear to end the mosquito's life, or make humorous observation: anything tht indicates to the GM you are, in fact, present at the keyboard.
Re: this is the way you treat paying customers? 01/03/2012 04:21 AM CST
<<I did not suspect someone was purposely trying to get me in trouble.>>

No one was trying to get you in trouble. The GM have to enforce the "aware of the game environment" policy. The only way to do this is to see if said person is in fact aware of the game environment and can slap a mosquito when the game indicated it. If it is your first warning don't worry about it and next time respond to the game environment.

<<Yes it started becoming very frequent.>>

After the frequency increases of the messaging the GMs will give you a [Send]. it shows up in monster bold and it very very obvious on what is going on. Also the duration of a script check is on the order of 5-10 min.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: this is the way you treat paying customers? 01/03/2012 08:03 AM CST
They did not give me a send, there was nothing in monster bold. It appears I do not get experience when logged off now as well so just moving on is not something I'm interested in doing unless moving on means cancelling my account for being treated this way.
Re: this is the way you treat paying customers? 01/03/2012 10:44 AM CST
<<After the frequency increases of the messaging the GMs will give you a [Send]. it shows up in monster bold and it very very obvious on what is going on.>>

That is not accurate at all.

JWARK4, if you have any questions about this or want to appeal the warning, you need to address this through Feedback. We can't/won't get into any details about your situation on the forums.

Solomon
Re: this is the way you treat paying customers? 01/03/2012 01:01 PM CST
<<After the frequency increases of the messaging the GMs will give you a [Send]. it shows up in monster bold and it very very obvious on what is going on.>>

>>That is not accurate at all.

It isn't? Not that I have a huge amount of experience when it comes to AFK checks, but it's always been my understanding that AFK checks start off as IC nudges but eventually become super loud flashing light alarm sounding (well, at least the text equivalent...) "ARE YOU PAYING ATTENTION"s.
Re: this is the way you treat paying customers? 01/03/2012 04:18 PM CST
That's how it happened to me.

Player of Drevid and Jhaval

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Barbarian.html

Cylons... why debugging matters.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. --John Wayne
Re: this is the way you treat paying customers? 01/03/2012 09:09 PM CST
<<It isn't? Not that I have a huge amount of experience when it comes to AFK checks, but it's always been my understanding that AFK checks start off as IC nudges but eventually become super loud flashing light alarm sounding (well, at least the text equivalent...) "ARE YOU PAYING ATTENTION"s.>>

There's no [SEND] or monsterbolded text involved (although you do get a [SEND] once you're in the holding room letting you know why you're there), however, a properly executed script check is impossible to miss or to confuse for anything normal near the end.

Solomon
Re: this is the way you treat paying customers? 01/03/2012 09:56 PM CST

I've been checked a few times on a few accounts and it's not possible to miss. This thread is silly. You honestly just stood there waiting to see what would happen? You didn't speak, move, or do ANYTHING for ten minutes. Come on... Give me a break, you got caught, move on, or don't, but let go of the crazy.
Re: this is the way you treat paying customers? 01/04/2012 12:50 AM CST
>>It isn't? Not that I have a huge amount of experience when it comes to AFK checks, but it's always been my understanding that AFK checks start off as IC nudges but eventually become super loud flashing light alarm sounding (well, at least the text equivalent...) "ARE YOU PAYING ATTENTION"s.

It depends on the GM.

Some are obvious and he will spam you if you don't respond.

Some are actually kind of subtle and can get lost in combat spam.

Honestly having played for so many years it's a call and response action for most of us. But for genuinely new players it's probably pretty confusing.
Re: this is the way you treat paying customers? 01/04/2012 01:40 AM CST
<<Some are actually kind of subtle and can get lost in combat spam.>>

By the end of the test, they are far from subtle.

Solomon
Re: this is the way you treat paying customers? 01/04/2012 05:57 AM CST
AFK checks are complete crap in my opinion. Generally, you HAVE to interact with whatever the GM is doing to you to get it to stop, which is forcing your character to respond in a specific way. If my character saw an annoying monkey, he wouldn't scream at it. He'd probably stick it full of arrows, skin it, and eat it.

A few times I've gotten AFK checks in an obvious OOC manner, and it bright yellow letters. This is vastly preferred, because it's WAY more obvious, way easier to notice when I'm running multiple screens, and it doesn't force me to break character.

But, of course, our opinions don't matter. We're just the customers.
Re: this is the way you treat paying customers? 01/04/2012 08:42 AM CST
>>A few times I've gotten AFK checks in an obvious OOC manner, and it bright yellow letters. This is vastly preferred, because it's WAY more obvious, way easier to notice when I'm running multiple screens, and it doesn't force me to break character.

1) You don't have to break character to pass the script check. I never have. The mechanic being used to script-check you is being run by a person; you only need to confirm to that person that you are, in fact, aware of the game environment. Heck, I wish they'd script-check me more. I often emerge from the experience with a juicy RPA to show for it.

2) Blatantly OOC script-checks are easy to counter in your afk scripts by logging the character out when you receive a SEND, or some such. I am not a GM, but I think there is a reason they have switched to IC methods: it's impossible to afk script past a script check when the script check involves different messaging every time.

3) Simutronics is beholden to ALL its customers, not just you. Many people play the game for an immersive roleplaying environment; being "aware of your in-game environment" is not an unreasonable request. I often have two different characters in two completely different locations running as well; if you need your entire screen to turn bright yellow to notice a recurring script check that lasts 10+ minutes, you are not aware of the game environment, even if you're atk when your scripts are running. Log off alts four and five, or sign up for TF.
Re: this is the way you treat paying customers? 01/04/2012 09:11 AM CST
>>Generally, you HAVE to interact with whatever the GM is doing to you to get it to stop, which is forcing your character to respond in a specific way.

Why not just REPORT back with something that acknowledges the script check?

>>If my character saw an annoying monkey, he wouldn't scream at it. He'd probably stick it full of arrows, skin it, and eat it.

While I'd love for a GM to weigh in on this, something like "report screaming at a monkey wouldn't be something my character would do" would probably be a reasonable way to pass a script check.
Re: this is the way you treat paying customers? 01/04/2012 10:06 AM CST
>>Why not just REPORT back with something that acknowledges the script check?

I have. It didn't stop the check. Nor did interacting with the annoying monkey is ways other than screaming at it.
Maybe the AFK checker went AFK.
Re: this is the way you treat paying customers? 01/04/2012 10:09 AM CST
>>2) Blatantly OOC script-checks are easy to counter in your afk scripts by logging the character out when you receive a SEND, or some such. I am not a GM, but I think there is a reason they have switched to IC methods: it's impossible to afk script past a script check when the script check involves different messaging every time.

Except they reuse the same few over and over. It's just as easy to avoid those as it is to avoid SENDs.
Re: this is the way you treat paying customers? 01/04/2012 11:19 AM CST

<<Except they reuse the same few over and over.>>

Not exactly.

<<It's just as easy to avoid those as it is to avoid SENDs.>>

Incorrect.

>>Why not just REPORT back with something that acknowledges the script check?
I have. It didn't stop the check. Nor did interacting with the annoying monkey is ways other than screaming at it.
Maybe the AFK checker went AFK.>>>

Reporting will stop a check, I'm not sure you really did this, but if you in fact did and the check didnt stop, send a log to feedback.

>>AFK checks are complete crap in my opinion. Generally, you HAVE to interact with whatever the GM is doing to you to get it to stop, which is forcing your character to respond in a specific way. If my character saw an annoying monkey, he wouldn't scream at it. He'd probably stick it full of arrows, skin it, and eat it.
A few times I've gotten AFK checks in an obvious OOC manner, and it bright yellow letters. This is vastly preferred, because it's WAY more obvious, way easier to notice when I'm running multiple screens, and it doesn't force me to break character.<<<

So you don't want to be FORCED to interact with a monkey in a certain way because it breaks character, but you WANT bright yellow flashing AFK CHECKs in an OOC manner?
What? How is screaming at a monkey breaking character, but having to respond "I'm here, I'm at the computer" not breaking character?

Look if you want to AFK script play TF, I do and its great, I think one of the main problems the DR community has is they want rules applied to everyone but themselves. People don't really want AFK script checks to go away, they just want them to go away for themselves. If script checks were really a problem everyone would play TF. If AFK scripting was allowed in Prime you'd have a bunch of people running around with 1200 ranks in everything, and the games over.
Re: this is the way you treat paying customers? 01/04/2012 02:02 PM CST
<<While I'd love for a GM to weigh in on this, something like "report screaming at a monkey wouldn't be something my character would do" would probably be a reasonable way to pass a script check.>>

I would think that since a GM is there watching the room, the use of MYCHAR might be an option instead of report.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: this is the way you treat paying customers? 01/04/2012 02:12 PM CST
>>I would think that since a GM is there watching the room, the use of MYCHAR might be an option instead of report.

I was considering that option, too, but I don't know if GMs would always get mychar messages. It seems like something they could choose to ignore.
Re: this is the way you treat paying customers? 01/04/2012 07:32 PM CST
>>I would think that since a GM is there watching the room, the use of MYCHAR might be an option instead of report.
I was considering that option, too, but I don't know if GMs would always get mychar messages. It seems like something they could choose to ignore.>>

Both are probably acceptable responses to script checks. You can always appeal even a failed one. If your getting script checks and spamming mychar wants you to leave me alone this monkey sucks, I'm sure even if you get a failed check the GMs would look at the log and pass you. I think a lot of this you fail and your screwed mentality is kind of crazy. Its REALLY hard to fail a script check, and its IMPOSSIBLE in every way to fail one if your actually ATK. (unless of course you dont speak and read english... if that is the case you probably have larger issues playing a text based game in English.)
Re: this is the way you treat paying customers? 01/04/2012 08:13 PM CST
>>You can always appeal even a failed one.

I agree, but at the same time I'd rather just pass than fail by accident and have it retroactively acknowledged as a pass. ;)
Re: this is the way you treat paying customers? 01/04/2012 10:34 PM CST
>>By the end of the test, they are far from subtle.

The ones I've gotten for sure, but I've never failed an AFK scripting check. I get the full benefit of the doubt.

I've seen plenty of absolutely bollocks AFK checks from folks who are not so fortunate.

>>Except they reuse the same few over and over. It's just as easy to avoid those as it is to avoid SENDs.

They don't, although there are strong parallels between them because, well, they all are trying to accomplish the same goal.

But that all avoids the real crux of the issue. New accounts receive extra attention and more frequent AFK checks. I realize this is a function of somewhat automated criteria checking, but it honestly would alienate a new player who wasn't made aware that these are going to happen, and with frequency, until they're about 20th circle (and beyond, depending on a few things).
Re: this is the way you treat paying customers? 01/05/2012 01:55 PM CST
<< New accounts receive extra attention and more frequent AFK checks. I realize this is a function of somewhat automated criteria checking, but it honestly would alienate a new player who wasn't made aware that these are going to happen, and with frequency, until they're about 20th circle (and beyond, depending on a few things).>>

I'm sorry, but that's just blatantly false. There are no mechanics involved that increase or decrease the odds of any account being checked for violating any policy based on its age.

Solomon
Re: this is the way you treat paying customers? 01/05/2012 11:17 PM CST
>>I'm sorry, but that's just blatantly false. There are no mechanics involved that increase or decrease the odds of any account being checked for violating any policy based on its age.

And yet directly observable. I realize it's not in your interests for people to realize that there are criteria that make your character more likely to receive an AFK scripting check, but please have the decency not to lie directly to your customers.
Re: this is the way you treat paying customers? 01/06/2012 12:42 AM CST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

Melete
[Turmis] I'm about to shoot beards in the face
Re: this is the way you treat paying customers? 01/06/2012 03:48 AM CST
>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

Fair or not, there actually is a VERY strong perception among players that new and/or returning players are far more likely to be script-checked. As much as I want to tell people they're being paranoid and delusional, my firsthand circumstantial evidence says otherwise. After returning from a 5 year break from DR I was script-checked twice in the first month or two after I returned, and not once in the ~18 months since. I'd put my money on the most likely explanation being that it wouldn't be uncommon for GMs to repeatedly script-check someone who is frequently running scripts in an inaccessable room (backroom of a Trader shop in my case), but that after a couple checks where the player responds immediately and then gets an RPA for it, they would be more likely to receive benefit of the doubt when seen repeating the same behavior

Anyone who thinks there is some automated system for script-checking new people, would be crazy (seriously, of all the things to spend GM time coding?). But I would not dismiss at all the likely possibility that people who have played a long time are given more benefit of the doubt which leads to being script-checked less often - perhaps just subconciously, or perhaps after earning that benefit of the doubt by having already passed multiple script checks

Apu
_
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Apu
Re: this is the way you treat paying customers? 01/06/2012 11:42 AM CST
>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias<<

Not that we'd ever get an answer on it, but I think your more likely to get script checked if you log a lot of hours, no matter what your doing. I used to leave characters in the game hiding and not doing anything and I was script checked much more often. Now I am sure to log them, especially with the EXP drain.

A new character who all of a sudden is logging 12-18 hours of play time in a 24 hour period is going to be script checked at some point. I can almost guarantee it. To be honest any character logging that many hours will eventually get a check too. I think its more a function of how many hours you log in a 24 hour period that is indicative of whether or not your gonna get checked.

That being said, there might be a way that total game time logged in versus total game time in recent months gets calculated that causes newer players and "old new" players to get checked a tad more frequently.

People need to sleep and eat, you can't just play DR all the time.... or can you?

This all may be completely off its just speculation... obviously.
Re: this is the way you treat paying customers? 01/06/2012 05:24 PM CST
Confirmation bias may be applied to this as well, but I can tell you that I had gamed hard for months (i.e. played most of the day months at a time (I had a lot of time, and not much money, but this was my fun thing to pay, and for me basic subscription costs weren't over-the-top, I know some complain of that but, I don't see it). And I never received a script check, I figure it was over a year before I saw my first script check, the next one came a bit closer to the first then the long period I had never seen one.

I don't think I've had more then two, and currently its been months and months.

This is just ancedotal evidence, but maybe it'll sway a few of you, to realize that chances are AFK checking are done on people in areas that not a lot of things other then scripting are done, and those people who tend to frequent those areas will largely be checked. And I have nothing to suggest that SIMU does this, I just feel that they probably try to get the most bang for the time they spend script checking, I'd also figure they do it not to get people out of the game, but rather to try and keep a certain environment uphold, and as such some people from time to time get thrown out, or hopefully just have minor penalties placed on them.

Once again, just my personal feel of this. I am not a SIMU employee, nor anything other then a paying playing player.

Re: this is the way you treat paying customers? 01/06/2012 05:46 PM CST

I actually think you get checked more on high traffic areas because your more likely to get ratted out by another player, just due to the law of averages. Also Simu hates failing someone, they aren't out to get you.
Re: this is the way you treat paying customers? 01/06/2012 07:43 PM CST
Been script checked many times, never noticed any pattern with being checked for reactivation or what-not.
Re: this is the way you treat paying customers? 01/06/2012 09:04 PM CST
>>they script check returning people blah blah blah

I quit for a year and a half. I have not been script-checked.

---
Inauri
Re: this is the way you treat paying customers? 01/06/2012 11:38 PM CST
<<And yet directly observable.>>

Oh, I forgot. You have access to see exactly who gets checked and who doesn't, so you can see that there's clearly an active effort made to script check new accounts. You've also seen the system that scans and suggests people to check, so you know that contains a check to weight new accounts and push them toward the top.

<<I realize it's not in your interests for people to realize that there are criteria that make your character more likely to receive an AFK scripting check, but please have the decency not to lie directly to your customers.>>

Just stop.

Solomon
Re: this is the way you treat paying customers? 01/07/2012 12:30 AM CST
<<And yet directly observable.>>

Speaking of observations, I'd like to point out that the observation itself isn't particularly useful without a statistical test to show that the observation didn't arise entirely from randomness. For example if you flip a coin and observe more heads than tails, it doesn't mean your coin is baised, it's just that you're looking at randomness.
Re: this is the way you treat paying customers? 01/07/2012 06:14 PM CST
>>Oh, I forgot. You have access to see exactly who gets checked and who doesn't, so you can see that there's clearly an active effort made to script check new accounts. You've also seen the system that scans and suggests people to check, so you know that contains a check to weight new accounts and push them toward the top.

I'd prefer you just apologized for lying directly to your customers and move on instead of trying to redirect here. If I did have substantiating evidence presenting it in a public forum to support my claims would completely undermine your ability to conduct policy enforcement.

Please don't bait me and do the right thing.
Prev_page Previous 1