Interesting Hypothetical 11/03/2011 03:48 AM CDT
So tonight, I was going about my business in celps, when I had to pee (Sorry if that's too much info, but there you go... :P ).

Like usual, I made sure I was asleep so I wouldn't gain any EXP, and I didn't have to start my combat routine over again for a quick two minute break. When I came back though, my internet was out!

Now I understand that I wasn't scripting at this time, but I was still logged into the game, in a combat setting, and if not for sleeping, learning EXP.

Heres my hypothetical for those of you who haven't guessed it.

Assume person J comes into my room as soon as my internet dies. He tries to interact with me, but of course, I'M not there per say. So person J, who is following the suggested AFK scripting guidelines reports me to a GM who decides to run a script check on.

I manage to stay logged in this entire time, and fail the script check.

Is there any way to prove that my internet died? What would happen to me in this situation? When my internet went out, my first thought....and look! My internet is out again, it's a good thing I'm getting healed from the last time it went out and not in combat! stupid maintenance

Anyway, I can still type this up while I'm internetless.

My first thought was, "Oh crud, I'm in combat right now, and even though I'm not scripting, technically I'm not responsive to my surroundings, and gaining EXP! I srsly hope I don't get script checked!"

And yeah, while that's not most people's first goto thought, I've been scripted checked enough (passed all but once back in like 2006 or 2008) to know that the can and will happen at the most inopportune times.

-A curious consumer

And i'm back to post this... :P
Re: Interesting Hypothetical 11/03/2011 04:27 AM CDT
It's pretty easy to tell when someone is ghosting and when someone is AFK scripting. Usually ghosts will end up dead or disconnected in a few minutes, while a scripter will not.

________________________________________________________________________________

We've decided that instead of spells Paladins will be a new arm of the Bard guild utilizing interpretive dance moves.

~GM Zeyurn
Re: Interesting Hypothetical 11/03/2011 04:49 AM CDT
> Usually ghosts will end up dead or disconnected in a few minutes, while a scripter will not.

True, but in my case I'm fairly certain that not a lot of time had passed from when I DC'd vs when I logged back in. I was alive, but wounded, and my internet was down for a good hour or so.

This is purely hypothetical, I'm not really certain that these events could ever really happen, and it would seem logical for a way to the GMs to backtrace an IP address to tell if that address was still transmitting to the game, telling them they were in fact ghosting.... Not sure if such a system is in place, but just trying to make conversation in my delirium that is my early morning ramblings.

Also, while reading this particular folder is interesting and somewhat amusing, it's making me check my game constantly with my TV turned off... Even though 9/10 my TV is only on for background noise anyway...
Re: Interesting Hypothetical 11/03/2011 06:56 AM CDT
I believe GMs can tell if you're ghosting or not. I think I recall one of them mentioning this, though I'm not 100% sure.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Interesting Hypothetical 11/03/2011 10:00 AM CDT
>>I believe GMs can tell if you're ghosting or not. I think I recall one of them mentioning this, though I'm not 100% sure.

I vaguely recall this, too.

It also wouldn't surprise me if a passive exp gain AFK scripting check is much longer than an active exp gain AFK scripting check. It's not like a GM just shows up and warns you in under a minute.
Re: Interesting Hypothetical 11/03/2011 10:13 AM CDT
A script check will last longer than an idle timeout; You wouldn't stay in the game long enough to fail a check.

Not to mention in the time it takes someone to see you, report you, the gm to come and script check you, you will probably be idled and logged off.
Re: Interesting Hypothetical 11/03/2011 10:46 AM CDT
<<A script check will last longer than an idle timeout>>

not necessarily. I've been disconnected and couldn't log in for 10 minutes <dial-up plus antique computer> and come back and had my character be sitting in the same place <although not afk, frantically trying to connect, saying please don't die, please don't die.... arggggghhhh!> I've found this much less happening if you use set !inactivity though. Also. Critters seem to know when you disconnect. They say FREE LUNCH and come munch on your corpse. It's true....

Explore the Final Frontier - the unknown calls
Re: Interesting Hypothetical 11/03/2011 11:02 AM CDT
I stand by what I said.

Failing a script check means you were afk and gaining exp for awhile, not just 3-5 minutes.
Re: Interesting Hypothetical 11/03/2011 12:21 PM CDT
From what I understand, if you're using a Simu made FE, they have ways to determine if you are still connected.

I don't know if those methods work for non-Simu ones.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance