Sleeping and the new scripting policy 11/21/2008 06:05 PM CST
The way I read the post I could hide and go to sleep trying to absorb some experience and then get a warning for helping someone gain skills, say they practice hiding in the room I picked or search me out and point, then steal from me. Oh, there are lots of ways it can be done totally without my help or consent.
So, I wondered if we could have something that would protect us totally while we are sleep/absorbing what came to mind was "comatose" in this state whether hiding or not (since someone can always point you out)no one could gain any experience from you being in a room, as far as the game is concerned your the closest thing to dead til you awake or arise might be a more appropriate command. I was thinking the GM's might even be able to use the settings for a ghost to save some effort, the only difference would be we enter and leave the comatose state on our own.
A last thought on this, if I get a warning while sleeping and minding my own business in some out of the way spot, due to some jerk using me to gain experience I will be more than unhappy and I think most non-cheating players will be too.
Re: Sleeping and the new scripting policy 11/21/2008 06:19 PM CST
hmm... i think that is very unlikely to happen. If you're worried that someone might abuse your character while you're sleeping just log off.

You're much more likely to be caught in the middle of an invasion and killed in an out of the way location than you are of helping someone gain more than 10% in stealing skill while you sleep.
Re: Sleeping and the new scripting policy 11/21/2008 06:25 PM CST
<<The way I read the post I could hide and go to sleep trying to absorb some experience and then get a warning for helping someone gain skills>>

with EXP drain at Login there is no reason to sit in a room to absorb experience.

In game advantage would also fall on say, someone taking a dead AFK scripter to cleric and having them get raised. So stop helping them dead zombies you see and teach em all a lesson and watch your own backside.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Sleeping and the new scripting policy 11/21/2008 07:40 PM CST
There are still two reasons to stay in game sleeping:

1) It drops your mind state from frozen -> clear. Being logged in not only runs this timer, but the related timers that get you to go clear->fluid->murky more quickly.

2) Staying in game and allowing absorption is faster than the absorption logged out. If you're not going to be logged out for 8 hours (or you have a warning), it is beneficial to stay logged in for field xp drain.

I commonly leaved my character logged in (and allow myself to idle out) to at least run down the fluid->clear related timers somewhat.
Re: Sleeping and the new scripting policy 12/01/2008 09:26 PM CST
How does this new policy intend to manage classes and teaching?

If I sit down in the Empath's guild and listen to a class on Evasion, for example, and without running any scripts, I get distracted and become totally unresponsive, not inputting commands in any way, is that not a passive skill gain while unresponsive?

The game does automatically boot someone who is unresponsive, so unless they are scripting somehow they can't remain in class indefinately. However, I know plenty of folks, myself included, who will listen to classes on a slow night and eventually get sidetracked doing something else. Are we to no longer be allowed this leisure?

I'd argue this is a case where an exception should be made. What legitimate harm is there in allowing someone dozing off late at night or some such to linger in their thoughts a short while, learning a bit more from their class before fully retiring for the night?
Re: Sleeping and the new scripting policy 12/01/2008 09:34 PM CST
>>The game does automatically boot someone who is unresponsive, so unless they are scripting somehow they can't remain in class indefinately. However, I know plenty of folks, myself included, who will listen to classes on a slow night and eventually get sidetracked doing something else. Are we to no longer be allowed this leisure?

This "leisure" was never allowed under the old policy, either. The bulk of the actual policy hasn't changed aside from some re-wording for clarity's sake; essentially only the penalties are different.

~player of Gulphphunger
Re: Sleeping and the new scripting policy 12/01/2008 09:50 PM CST
<<Are we to no longer be allowed this leisure?>>

As Gulph pointed out, you were never allowed this leisure under the old policy, much less under the new.

<<What legitimate harm is there in allowing someone dozing off late at night or some such to linger in their thoughts a short while, learning a bit more from their class before fully retiring for the night?>>

The exact same harm there is in allowing someone dozing off late at night or some such to combat script or run routes, learning a bit more from their actions before fully retiring for the night.

Solomon

"The probability of someone making a mathematical formulation on a non-mathematical subject is inversely proportional to its usefulness."
- Brust's Law of Mathematical Formulations

http://www.myspace.com/simutronicsdragonrealms
Re: Sleeping and the new scripting policy 12/01/2008 10:23 PM CST
<<The exact same harm there is in allowing someone dozing off late at night or some such to combat script or run routes, learning a bit more from their actions before fully retiring for the night.>>

In these cases, however, the player is scripting and thus this keeps one logged in almost indefinately. All forms of scripting do, and I can see why that is problematic. The learning can continue unsupervised and without effort conceivably for as long as the servers remain available.

In the scenario I described, however, there is a definite amount of time after which the player is logged off for inactivity. There is no purposeful attempt to bypass or exploit game mechanics, there is no running of a script, there is no ill intent. Am I to be expected to have the presence of mind to actively enter sleep mode, or stop listening to a class, or log off entirely every time I look away to some other matter outside of the game, due to risk of my distraction?

If the answer is yes, so be it. It's certainly within my power to put forth the extra effort and discipline needed to remember to cancel out of classes when not watching my screen closely. It strikes me as an inconvenience, and if enforced I would see it as adhering to the letter of the law rather than to the spirit, but it's not my call by any means.

I adamantly oppose scripting without monitoring. I frown heavily upon exploitation and unfair advantages. I cannot condone those who strive to cheat and purposefully manipulate the mechanics of a game system. I understand entirely why this clarification has come about, and I support it in its spirit. But I would urge you to consider with care those situations where someone, without intent, meets the technical qualifications of a violation, without meeting the spiritual and intential qualifications of such.

At the very least, might I suggest an inactivity timer be put into place? If the time between last command input and logoff due to inactivity is too long to allow for a player to learn passively in, perhaps have a player's experience gain freeze automatically after a shorter period of time? Thus, someone who is listening to a class and forgets to leave that class during a time of AFK inactivity would spend at most a few minutes learning from the class, before their gains would freeze and they would simply absorb their current field experience thereafter.
Re: Sleeping and the new scripting policy 12/01/2008 10:56 PM CST
<<Am I to be expected to have the presence of mind to actively enter sleep mode, or stop listening to a class, or log off entirely every time I look away to some other matter outside of the game, due to risk of my distraction?

Yes.

<<But I would urge you to consider with care those situations where someone, without intent, meets the technical qualifications of a violation, without meeting the spiritual and intential qualifications of such.

The GMs have zero chance of being able to determine this.

-Evran

Crackling with unspent rage since 386AV.
Re: Sleeping and the new scripting policy 12/01/2008 11:00 PM CST
<<Am I to be expected to have the presence of mind to actively enter sleep mode, or stop listening to a class, or log off entirely every time I look away to some other matter outside of the game, due to risk of my distraction?

Yes.

<<But I would urge you to consider with care those situations where someone, without intent, meets the technical qualifications of a violation, without meeting the spiritual and intential qualifications of such.

The GMs have zero chance of being able to determine this.

This is basically the crux of the problem for us. We have no way to determine why you (generically speaking) are doing what you are. Did you glance away for a minute? Answer a phone call? Deliberately go and cook dinner for 30 minutes while you avoided the boring part of the game? All we can determine is if you respond to us or not and our decision has to then be based purely upon that outcome.

GM Oolan Jeel

Utinam barbari spatium proprium tuum invadant!
Re: Sleeping and the new scripting policy 12/01/2008 11:13 PM CST
I know I've seen this addressed before, but I just want to make sure I have the right info to pass on.

If someone goes out on a shoplifting run, fills up the secondary pool, it is considered AFK experience gain to then go into an out of the way place to let the secondary pool drain into the primary pool and into ranks, correct?

That's how I've been handling it, at least (watching my screen pretty close while letting shoplifting experience drain), but since this topic is coming up again, I figured I may as well refresh it in my brain.

Thanks.

Denstimar Dustyfoot
Idon Raider - www.idonraiders.com
"Have you not learned great lessons from those who braced themselves against you, and disputed passage with you?" - Walt Whitman
Re: Sleeping and the new scripting policy 12/01/2008 11:19 PM CST
<<If someone goes out on a shoplifting run, fills up the secondary pool, it is considered AFK experience gain to then go into an out of the way place to let the secondary pool drain into the primary pool and into ranks, correct?>>

correct. The secondary pool is active EXP bits.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Sleeping and the new scripting policy 12/01/2008 11:51 PM CST
<<Yes.>>

As I said, fair enough. I'm largely playing devil' advocate. grins

<<The GMs have zero chance of being able to determine this.>>

Fair enough as well, I suppose. Given the system of warnings, only people who are genuinely abusing the script system will truly be inconvenienced.

Still, what then of my suggestion for an inactivity safeguard system? I imagine if it were feasible to add, it would save GMs a lot of manual efforts later on.
Re: Sleeping and the new scripting policy 12/02/2008 05:45 AM CST
<<What legitimate harm is there in allowing someone dozing off late at night or some such to linger in their thoughts a short while, learning a bit more from their class before fully retiring for the night?>>

>>The exact same harm there is in allowing someone dozing off late at night or some such to combat script or run routes, learning a bit more from their actions before fully retiring for the night.

My concern is not with AFK activity under this policy but getting discoed in a learning situation, like a class or even hunting.

In your example, if someone discos then their script stops, so no learning going on there.

How is a GM supposed to tell the difference between someone who is AFK in a class and letting themselves get dumped for inactivity or learning defenses in combat with a trigger to feign disco on script-check and someone who has discoed and not been dropped yet?

I'd really hate to get script-checked when I'm not even connected to the game and come back to find some pretty nasty penalties and a warning and of course no one will believe the excuses, because we have lost the benefit of the doubt.

Please explain where I am missing something here.

-pete
Re: Sleeping and the new scripting policy 12/02/2008 06:15 AM CST
>>I'd really hate to get script-checked when I'm not even connected to the game and come back to find some pretty nasty penalties and a warning and of course no one will believe the excuses, because we have lost the benefit of the doubt.<<

Personally, I believe this situation to be infrequent at best. You can also set your inactivity flags to disconnect you more quickly, but rarely do I ghost without disconnecting.

If you're ATK and you disco, you will more than likely do your best to reconnect as quickly as possible. If you're AFK and you disco, and then get caught by a GM for being unresponsive to the gaming environment, then you deserve whatever penalties you might receive.

This is not a change from the old policy in any way.

What JLo said is pretty much spot on.
- GM Dartenian
Re: Sleeping and the new scripting policy 12/02/2008 06:34 AM CST
>>How is a GM supposed to tell the difference between someone who is AFK in a class and letting themselves get dumped for inactivity or learning defenses in combat with a trigger to feign disco on script-check and someone who has discoed and not been dropped yet?

>>Please explain where I am missing something here.

Well, in short, to me it boils down to three things.

-I think the GMs know that discos can happen
-I don't think they are dying to warn and penalize the player base at large
-This part of the policy is the same as it has been for years, and we're still here.

As such, while I don't have a red name and may not be able to completely assuage your concerns, I feel confident enough to say "don't worry too much about this."

To quote a relevant portion of the new policy:

"Warnings for using triggers, running scripts, or any other activities while being unresponsive to the gaming environment are based on the Staff's observation of the character, and the Staff's judgment may vary from instance to instance; therefore each instance will be judged independently."

Note: it does not say "...while being unresponsive to the gaming environment will automatically result in a penalty."

That's just my opinion on the matter, of course.

~player of Gulphphunger
Re: Sleeping and the new scripting policy 12/02/2008 06:56 AM CST
Completely off topic, but every time I see the term disco'd here on the board, I imagine a great mirrored ball appearing from nowhere,knocking people a way from their computers while "the Hustle" rises to a crechendo in the room behind them. Inevidably the downed person cries "Stayin' Alive".

The mind behind Francelia.
Re: Sleeping and the new scripting policy 12/02/2008 07:09 AM CST
>>Still, what then of my suggestion for an inactivity safeguard system? I imagine if it were feasible to add, it would save GMs a lot of manual efforts later on.

There's already an inactivity safe guard. Just make sure you are toggled to the short time. The chances of you getting script checked and failing in the 5 min or so before you get logged are minimal
Re: Sleeping and the new scripting policy 12/02/2008 08:28 AM CST
Since we're on this topic - I have a relatively minor bone to pick.

Can you make script checks demand us to input commands that actually exist? When some pretty sheep that isn't even there demands that I tell him he's pretty, it can get a bit frustrating. Similarly, when said sheep demands that I shout out "BAAAAAAA!" in the middle of a crowded room, or randomly announce "HELLO MR. SHEEP" ... well, I'm probably not going to do that.

I literally stared at the screen for about 90 seconds waiting for the sheep to demand that I enter an actual command before I gave up and reported "How the hell do I answer this thing?" Even after doing that the check kept going until finally the sheep asked me to jump, so I jumped. In my mind that's cutting it a bit close, and not really serving the intent of a script check.

Re: Sleeping and the new scripting policy 12/02/2008 08:58 AM CST
>>If you're ATK and you disco, you will more than likely do your best to reconnect as quickly as possible.

Some reasons for disco don't always make it easy to reconnect, such as power outages, computer, router, or ISP problems. I've been through all of these while playing over the years.

Anyhow, I believe that GMs will give most players the benefit of the doubt if there isn't a pattern of suspicious behavior.

I'd just hate to see someone get nailed for something that is no fault of their own. We've all seen how zero-tolerance rules usually mean zero common sense.

-pete
Re: Sleeping and the new scripting policy 12/02/2008 09:55 AM CST
<<busted for AFK while ghosting concern

I'm not certain about it, but I think its possible to tell if someone is ghosting by doing a few zimple checks. Its probably part of their script-checking regimen if it is possible.

-Evran

Crackling with unspent rage since 386AV.
Re: Sleeping and the new scripting policy 12/02/2008 02:46 PM CST
When you're ghosting, you're not sending commands to the game to keep yourself active. If you're not doing that, then you have nothing to worry about.

Really, you're making it sound so much worse than it is -- the means of determination haven't changed, just the result.

SGM Riel Mystsong,
CE Team Leader
Re: Sleeping and the new scripting policy 12/02/2008 04:53 PM CST
"Personally, I believe this situation to be infrequent at best."

I will have to disagree with this statement. Unlike you, almost all the times I discon I end up ghosting sometimes for up to 10-15 minutes. Just the other day this happened while I was hunting and a friend stopped in the room to say hello, I was ghosting the whole time. He thought I was afk and upon my return I assured him that I am never afk and I thanked em for watching over me.

This is a legit concern IMO. I am booted quite often, though this is not Simus fault more of a fault of the area of the world I chose to live. Electricity outages are ratehr common where I live. I do not wish to log back in and find myself with a penalty of anykind.

I utilize the tools avilable like sleep and daydream. I even do this while listening to classes if I need to afk for a moment or two.

I am also aware that there is no way to prove what I say unless it is a power outage and I have my electric company and Simu have some sort of communication. Some discons are not due to power outages and most times it works great.

When it is all said and done I discon about twice a day.

kthanks

Miv
Rangering the forests and wilds of Elanthia.
Re: Sleeping and the new scripting policy 12/03/2008 12:38 AM CST
>>Deliberately go and cook dinner for 30 minutes while you avoided the boring part of the game?

Isn't that part of why people script and/or lose attention in the first place?
Re: Sleeping and the new scripting policy 12/03/2008 01:03 AM CST
>> Deliberately go and cook dinner for 30 minutes while you avoided the boring part >> of the game?

> Isn't that part of why people script and/or lose attention in the first place?

Perhaps. Some of us run scripts to prevent having to repeatedly type the same command over and over and over again to train skills like, say, foraging.

I have a number of scripts that do the "work" of training casting, foraging, braiding grass, and other such boring things so I can spend more time interacting with friends.

There are no doubt a few players who have manual dexterity problems [palsy comes to mind] that makes it more difficult, and scripts help them do what they need to do without the frustration.

I can't say I don't support this policy. I would like to think the GMs will not be some draconian enforcer out to screw the players, but I have run into more then one person who was obviously scripting while not there [thanks for the coins too!].

Cormar's Human
Re: Sleeping and the new scripting policy 12/03/2008 01:17 AM CST
>>Deliberately go and cook dinner for 30 minutes while you avoided the boring part of the game?

>>Isn't that part of why people script and/or lose attention in the first place?

I'm sorry. I wasn't clear. What I meant was whatever portion of the game that person conciders to be boring. Not everyone agrees on this detail though there is often a good deal of overlap which we are trying to reduce as we tackle mumified systems.

GM Oolan Jeel

"One of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that, lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of their C programs." Robert Firth
Re: Sleeping and the new scripting policy 12/08/2008 11:04 PM CST
<<there is a definite amount of time after which the player is logged off for inactivity.>>

i think there should be a way to shorten this even further, than the current !set inactivity or set inactivity <whichever one you're supposed to use to make the time shorter, i can never keep them straight>. My ISP <i switched to a very inexpensive one - but it has the unfortunate habit of going out frequently. I was playing 2 characters on seperate accts. I managed to log in 1 account after signing back, but the other i couldn't log back in for 15 minutes because of a billing issue that had to get straightened out and the other character was still there ghosting. <i stopped listening to the class with the character i logged back in in order to avoid "afk" learning> ... but, the character was still there. I'd like to see something that logs you off after 5 minutes of inactivity. That would avoid this type of situation.
Re: Sleeping and the new scripting policy 01/01/2009 05:43 PM CST
I found myself nodding a little last night while testing out some new combat scripts I've written up, and was about to go the usual route of turning off the scripts just to be safe when a thought struck me. A little quick work with google and I had a solution: now my scripts regularly play a catchy little song clip I dug up:

Ta ra ra boom de ay,
Did you get yours today?
I got mine yesterday,
That's why I walk this way.

I'm pleased to report no further sleepiness issues while running those scripts, and recommend this method to anyone who has scripts that involve lots of loops. It gets a tad annoying after awhile, and I'll probably replace some of the clips, but it sure is effective.

XXXXX: Wait... you wear heavy plate, use a shield, and don't steal? Why not just roll a Paladin?
Me: Because I don't think my sudden urges to flip out and kill stuff fit the Paladin mentality very well.
Re: Sleeping and the new scripting policy 01/01/2009 07:46 PM CST
Ummm... No thanks.

What JLo said is pretty much spot on.
- GM Dartenian
Re: Sleeping and the new scripting policy 01/01/2009 09:15 PM CST
When ya tire of that, get Banana Phone!
Re: Sleeping and the new scripting policy 01/02/2009 07:01 AM CST
Oh, I remember that one. My younger brother used to love that song... everyone in the house wanted to throw him out a window. It is, however, probably annoying enough to make the cut as a "wake up, your script is still running" song.

XXXXX: Wait... you wear heavy plate, use a shield, and don't steal? Why not just roll a Paladin?
Me: Because I don't think my sudden urges to flip out and kill stuff fit the Paladin mentality very well.
Re: Sleeping and the new scripting policy ::Thread Over:: 10/20/2016 05:53 PM CDT

This one is done.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.