Re: Updated Scripting Policy - Plat and Prime 03/12/2008 06:03 PM CDT
We can't let Empaths/Clerics use scripts to heal/raise us anymore, otherwise we're the ones who get in trouble?

__
~Leilond - Working up to Galren and Mazrian
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/leicollagefinal.jpg
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com/bard_planner_v2.xls
Re: Updated Scripting Policy - Plat and Prime 03/12/2008 06:24 PM CDT
<< We can't let Empaths/Clerics use scripts to heal/raise us anymore, otherwise we're the ones who get in trouble?>>

They have to be At the Keyboard at the time of running said script.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Updated Scripting Policy - Plat and Prime 03/12/2008 06:33 PM CDT
Save us all the trouble of acting surprised, this has been overdue.
Re: Updated Scripting Policy - Plat and Prime 03/12/2008 06:47 PM CDT
Ahh, I got'cha. Thanks for the clarification.

__
Re: Updated Scripting Policy - Plat and Prime 03/12/2008 07:06 PM CDT
>>They have to be At the Keyboard at the time of running said script.

That isn't what was posted but even assuming that it was, it's pretty stupid since GMs constantly tell us that players can't determine whether or not someone is ATK.

I am --- Navak
Re: Updated Scripting Policy - Plat and Prime 03/12/2008 07:10 PM CDT
<< That isn't what was posted>>

read more carefully. The term unresponsive is used in several places.

DragonRealms Player Policy: Scripting Policy
Any activity that results in ANY benefit to either you or another player while being unresponsive to the gaming environment will be considered against policy.
Utilizing Character "Bots"
Any participation in the use of character "bots" witnessed by Staff, even if the unresponsive character is not connected to your account and you currently are not in violation of this policy, will be considered against policy and may result in a warning and/or other penalties.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Updated Scripting Policy - Plat and Prime 03/12/2008 07:24 PM CDT
>>Any participation in the use of character "bots" witnessed by Staff, even if the unresponsive character is not connected to your account and you currently are not in violation of this policy, will be considered against policy and may result in a warning and/or other penalties.

That paragaph contradicts the rest of the post since it assumes bots are unreponsive whereas earlier the post defines bots as any character offering a service.

However, lets assume that being a bot means offering services while being unresponsive.

If the character providing services is unresponsive...why wouldn't they already be pulled by the staff?

If the staff is following their own public policy, this situation should never happen.

At a Dragonrealms level, since it seems a similar thing is in place on GSIV, Solomon, Ssra and others, have already proven that they can't catch hardcore scripters even when using extreme tactics.

This seems like another way to target those players that they can't catch even when they break their own public policy.

This doesn't add value to the game for me.

I am --- Navak
Re: Updated Scripting Policy - Plat and Prime 03/12/2008 07:25 PM CDT
I know some bots out there heal you if you ask for a heal, so... how do you know who's really a bot at that point?

__
Re: Updated Scripting Policy - Plat and Prime 03/12/2008 07:53 PM CDT
<< That paragaph contradicts the rest of the post since it assumes bots are unreponsive whereas earlier the post defines bots as any character offering a service.>>

one sentence earlier is the only reference to bots and it again says unresponsive

<< lets assume that being a bot means offering services while being unresponsive.>>

I'd go with that assumption.

If you set up a character "bot" to provide services (e.g., healing, lock picking, spell casting) to other players while being unresponsive, you will be issued a warning.

<< why wouldn't they already be pulled by the staff?>>

I'd assume they are, but the people who share a "bot" account with all their friends can now have themselves and their friends get in trouble. This new policy makes even being ATK and utilizing AFK characters a violation.

one problem would be afk scriptor stalking around NE gate and giving everyone perception ranks.

Yamcer

Re: Updated Scripting Policy - Plat and Prime 03/12/2008 07:58 PM CDT
>>I'd assume they are, but the people who share a "bot" account with all their friends can now have themselves and their friends get in trouble. This new policy makes even being ATK and utilizing AFK characters a violation.

from the policy

Any participation in the use of character "bots" witnessed by Staff, even if the unresponsive character is not connected to your account and you currently are not in violation of this policy, will be considered against policy and may result in a warning and/or other penalties

It's going to get innocent people busted
Re: Updated Scripting Policy - Plat and Prime 03/12/2008 07:59 PM CDT
By separating bots from unresponsive the person writing this bit of policy clearly demonstrates that there are responsive bots even if it was done unintentionally.

Bots are thus defined as anyone providing a service.

Even ignoring the fact that I think this change is ridiculous, it isn't even internally consistent and at the very least should be changed to rectify this fact.

I am --- Navak
Re: Updated Scripting Policy - Plat and Prime 03/12/2008 08:15 PM CDT
With first offenses seemingly being harsher, I have some concerns about subtle checks which may look like environmental messages or slightly altered messages I already see. I've always not cared because the penalty for a first offense was relatively mild, but now if I have to worry about reading everything, this game rapidly becomes something not fun.

The Prydaen word for Woman is Yif.
That explains a lot.

Lots more stuff coming 'Soon'!

http://www.zairius.com

Supreme Bunny Overlord Zairius
Re: Updated Scripting Policy - Plat and Prime 03/12/2008 08:29 PM CDT
Navak is correct. A literal reading of the text of News 5 17 defines "bot" as any character providing some type of service. News 5 17 reads, "If you set up a character "bot" to provide services (e.g., healing, lock picking, spell casting) to other players while being unresponsive, you will be issued a warning." This clearly implies that only unresponsive bots will be issued warnings, and that therefore anybody "set up" to provide a service is a "bot".

The next section reads "Any participation in the use of character "bots" witnessed by Staff......" A literal meaning of this requires the conclusion that ANY usage of a bot, whether the bot is responsive or unresponsive, is against policy. Therefore, quite literally, using any empathic or clerical services is against policy as policy is currently written. (Although I am sure this is not how it is intended to be applied).

Juulmon
Re: Updated Scripting Policy - Plat and Prime 03/12/2008 08:36 PM CDT
I would assume that policy applies only to unresponsive bots, but until it's clarified I wouldn't risk it.

In any case I do agree with Navak. We have been told repeatedly that we do not have the tools to figure out whether another player is at their keyboard or not. This policy forces us to make a judgment call that we have been explicitly told we should not be making.

Rev. Reene

John: Boys, petty theft, assault, battery, breaking and entering, assault with a deadly computer peripheral, misdemeanor vandalism and loitering.
John: And those are just the things I think you did this weekend.
Re: Updated Scripting Policy - Plat and Prime 03/13/2008 02:36 AM CDT
Gulphphunger,

I have no idea what the intent of the author of the text was, but the way you worded the sentence at the end of your post obviously isn't how it is written right now.

The way the sentence is written right now clearly indicates that being a "bot" has nothing to do with being responsive or unresponsive, or else the phrase "while being unresponsive" would not even need to be included, as it would be inherent in the definition of "bot". Obviously, if the author of the sentence consciously considered a "bot" to be an unresponsive service providing character, they would not have written anything at all about only unresponsive "bots" receiving warnings, they would have just written "bots will receive warnings", as "bots" would only include non-responsive service providing characters.

Combine this with the next section that reads, "Any participation in the use of character "bots" witnessed by Staff, even if the unresponsive character is not connected to your account and you currently are not in violation of this policy, will be considered against policy and may result in a warning and/or other penalties." The parts between the comma are just a qualifier, so the key portion of the sentence reads "Any participation in the use of character "bots" witnessed by Staff will be considered against policy and may result in a warning and/or other penalties." The end result is that any usage of a service providing character is against policy, and if that service providing character is non-responsive, they will also be issued a warning.

In my opinion, the new policy is just poorly drafted and I hope it does not represent the true intent of the author. Gulphphunger, it is naive for you to assume what the author of the policy meant, as policy GMs can and do twist the literal interpretation of policy text to suit ends far beyond the original intent of any particular policy.

Juulmon
Re: Updated Scripting Policy - Plat and Prime 03/13/2008 06:13 AM CDT
<<Any participation in the use of character "bots" witnessed by Staff, even if the unresponsive character is not connected to your account and you currently are not in violation of this policy, will be considered against policy and may result in a warning and/or other penalties.>>

Can we have a little clarification of this paragraph please? I don't understand how we are supposed to know if someone else is "botting" ? I mean, the empath-bots in TF are fairly obvious <and "legal"> , but I would assume those in Prime have some other type of triggers they use and the average player can't determine whether that other player is ATK or not, nor are we as fellow players supposed to make that determination <afk script checks are done by staff - it isn't the job of other players to make that determination>. I mean, people can do some pretty sophisticated things, one person had run a "beggar" type bot a number of years ago that was all from a very sophisticated zmud kinda script, I couldn't tell if he was atk or not.

<<Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror. - Lorz>>
Re: Updated Scripting Policy - Plat and Prime 03/13/2008 07:31 AM CDT
>>In my opinion, the new policy is just poorly drafted and I hope it does not represent the true intent of the author. Gulphphunger, it is naive for you to assume what the author of the policy meant, as policy GMs can and do twist the literal interpretation of policy text to suit ends far beyond the original intent of any particular policy.

I'll give you that it needs to be rewritten, but I still stand by what I said. Furthermore, I was only referring to the one sentence that I quoted--not the policy as a whole. People have already done that quite clearly and succinctly. Nonetheless, I deleted my post so as not to cloud the issue with minutiae when the entire "bots" thing needs to be redone wholesale.

~player of Gulphphunger