Prev_page Previous 1
Re: The Blotter 08/21/2006 07:47 PM CDT
>I'll tell them Barb O'Doom was also Thundarr Ookla two years ago, but they don't get the person's name

I have a question on that.

If me and my roommate are both playing DR. If one of is recieves lockout would the other also be locked out? or can one do anything to result in the other being punished as well? Be it in the future or in the past. (Say a roommate introduced the other into DR but he himself got his accoutn terminated and the new one got a fresh 1st time warning)

If the answer is yes, would it be due to the same billing address (but different recipient name), or would it be due to the same IP address?

Would it be possible to disassociate from the actions of the other if you purchase two ISP's or whatever.

>put my head on anvil
You put your head on the iron anvil.

>awaken
You can't do that while you are asleep.

>bbs
You begin to doze off again.
Re: The Blotter 08/22/2006 11:49 AM CDT
I asked for this to be moved over here because this was a different topic, but I do think it's a good question.

<<If me and my roommate are both playing DR. If one of is recieves lockout would the other also be locked out? or can one do anything to result in the other being punished as well? Be it in the future or in the past. (Say a roommate introduced the other into DR but he himself got his accoutn terminated and the new one got a fresh 1st time warning)>>

The answer is, maybe. I won't say what all the tools I have to look at accounts, but I have a lot of them. When I'm dealing with a situation like the one given, I'll look at all kinds of things. I'll look at base login records, including things like time. If you and your roommate don't play at the same time a lot, I can see that. If the accounts act differently in game, I can see that too.

That said, is it possible for both accounts to get locked out anyway? Yes. I'll give a hypothetical "how" here. Let's say your roommate has had some problems before (if he hasn't odds are the first time something happens he'll get told to just knock it off, or get a warning, and if there isn't a history, he's not getting sent to me, unless he's REALLY done something wrong), he gets in a fight with someone in a way that's clear PvP, we'll say he steals from someone, they turn him in to the guards and he attacks them for it. That one is going to be a warning situation.

Except, he finds out he bit off more than he can chew. Who would have thought a 25th circle trader had the combat skills of a 50th circle barbarian! Whoops. The next thing that happens is your character, the 60th level barbarian shows up fighting the trader. We're going to look at that and go, whoa whoa whoa, back that up. It's his fight, you don't have any business getting involved, and now your guy is getting warned under the third man in rule (yes, I'm a hockey fan, have been for decades). At that point, the GM on scene is looking at this going, "This is something someone should be locked out for," and asks me to check what I know about the accounts.

So I look at it, maybe the accounts have different information, maybe you or your buddy are paying for both accounts with the other guy paying the one with the card, there are a lot of possibilities here, but bottom line, they come back as connected in some way. In this case, both accounts are going to go down because there's no question the barb shouldn't have jumped in, and there is a connection that stands up.

So, let's give a different version of this, where your barb doesn't go after the trader. There's still a lockout situation, your buddy's record is what's operative there, and he he's been a bad guy for the past few months picking up a couple other warnings and now he's going down. I look at the accounts and maybe that leads me to look at your account, and I'm looking and I'm seeing things that say to me same guy? two guys? So I look some more and find that while your buddy has been getting in all kinds of trouble, you haven't been at all. He's locked out, you're free to go.

But wait, we're not done yet. Your buddy is locked out, you're not, and he's been wheedling you for the last week because he needs his DR fix, and he swears up and down he won't get you in trouble, so you let him play on your account. Except he couldn't stay out of trouble attached to a chain in the back yard, does something really stupid, gets your guy in new trouble and now the connection comes back into play and boom, now you're both locked out because he was using your account.

What's the moral of this story? Well first, NEVER let someone else play your account. You don't know what they might do. Second, NEVER play someone else account. You don't know what they've done that can come back and bite you, sometimes hard. And third, in the real world helping your buddy out might be the thing that keeps him alive. In the virtual world, you can drag the body to the cleric guild and the only thing you're out is maybe half an hour. Getting involved in his fight can end up costing you months. Let him die and you can tell jokes for everyone to laugh at for months. It's your call.
Re: The Blotter 08/22/2006 04:44 PM CDT
Okay. I think I got what I need in a roommate situation.

How about.. what if someone actually went and do what (Juasan? Sauva?) suggested and got a whole computer lab of people into DR, they all started playing from campus, and say half of them are bad boys who keep getting into trouble, the other half are clean. Sure, most universities do have thousands of unique IP's and typically people have a "favorite seat" and use the same computer, but there's gonna be mix and match everyonce in a while.

Now when someone gets locked out, would the entire group of people get collectively locked out? Perhaps from your view it would be broken down into mini groups or even pairs who happen to swap computers a lot, then in that case would these mini groups of good and bad boys alike be locked out?

This may sound hypothetical but who knows, maybe someone woudl want to do a DR LAN party or something and their IP gets shared between accounts. I used a class/lab example to make the assumption the sharing of IP happens a little more frequently so it'll be used for consideration when someone wants to host a LAN party.

>put my head on anvil

>awaken

>bbs
Re: The Blotter 08/22/2006 05:04 PM CDT
We've had situations like this and in general, no, it's not an issue. I can track incidents like that, and the rest of the login data, and see what people were doing, and... etc etc etc. What you're looking at here is only one piece of the puzzle. Granted, it's a major one, but it's not the whole thing.

--Sanguious
Re: The Blotter 08/22/2006 06:09 PM CDT
See... I was worried about this myself. Because I have access to a fair number of accounts. I've never been in trouble on any account I'm not paying for, though. I'm extra careful about it. Nothing would make me feel worse.

I was worried any one of them might get locked out because their account had a history of me logging into it. Clearly this wasn't the case. Even the one account I expected to get locked out as collateral damage (a friend's) due to similar billing data was just fine.

I'm rather glad it's more complex than that. It doesn't really seem to be an issue at all.

Rev. Reene

"...What's happening to your tea is happening to everything everywhere. The sun and the stars. It'll take awhile but we're all going to end up at room temperature." - "Arcadia"
Re: The Blotter 08/23/2006 12:59 PM CDT
Hearing some peeps talk about their other accounts made me thought of another question:

If you own two accounts and have both logged in at the same time. As long as both characters are always in the same room, and you are 100% ATK and controlling one character, while the other one is on an auto script. You don't touch the computer (or minimized window.. or whatever) for the other character but you watch it by having your primary character in the same room...

Is this AFK scripting for the second account? Does this violate policy in anway?

>put my head on anvil

>awaken

>bbs
Re: The Blotter 08/23/2006 01:03 PM CDT
Yes...and most script checks wouldn't even show up to the character watching.

I am --- Navak
Re: The Blotter 08/23/2006 01:30 PM CDT
it is not At The Keyboard scripting or Away From Keyboard scripting that is in policy...

It is clearly stated as unresponsive gain of exp, money, in game advantage. If you are responsive at the keyboard with 20 different account logged in at one time great for you no problem or policy violation. if one is deemed unresponsive to the game than it can be a warning.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: The Blotter 08/23/2006 01:47 PM CDT
Yes, but in this case, the PLAYER is responsive by being in the same room and watch over the other character. The player will be fully capable of noticing any interaction with the scripting character and switch to it at anytime to respond to the interaction.

The only thing the PLAYER won't be able to respond to (after AVOID !WHISPER) would be script checks, which kinda shouldn't happen if the PLAYER can respond to both characters in some way.

>put my head on anvil

>awaken

>bbs
Re: The Blotter 08/23/2006 02:30 PM CDT
I had this a little while ago. The answer is... Use Peephole or something similar. You'd THINK my character (Who was guarding the other..) Would see the second getting kicked by a goblin in a place a goblin shouldn't be, but no, he didnt, and I almost got a warning for it.

~~Dhimani.
Re: The Blotter 08/23/2006 03:10 PM CDT
Rather than looking for loopholes think it through. As long as your scripting character is responsive it is not considered AFK. If there is a command or anything else that your scripting character sees or hears or smells etc, and your 'observing' character does not, then you would legitimately be AFK.

By the way, I can think of various actions that one character might notice and another might not, whether a script check or not. If all you are doing is trying to do is beat a script check, then it might not matter, but if you, the player is not noticing what your character is noticing then you are AFK.

The more legitimate option would just be use two screens
Re: The Blotter 08/23/2006 03:17 PM CDT
Okay, we've got a another good question that came up here! To paraphrase "I have two characters and we're both together so I can see what's happening, but I'm not clicking over to the other screen because I can see if anyone is interacting with him. Can I get warned?"

The answer to this is, yes. Here's why. The in-game staff doesn't have access to the things I use to see if accounts are linked to each other. We do it that way to protect your personal information. By the same token, the billing department people have access to the things in the billing system, but don't have any access to the in-game records, again, it's protecting your information. So, while you may be able to see what's going on in the room, it's entirely possible you wouldn't see the other guy being asked if he's there.

In general, those messages only go to the character being checked, not the whole room, and it's done that way to be minimally intrusive. Let's face it, if the whole room were being asked "How many ranks in <fill in the skill> do you have?" everyone would be going, "Oh that's really in character!" and when the scripting rules were first put in place in 1998, sometimes people did send things to the whole room and the whole room would start screaming about it. That doesn't happen anymore.

Getting back to the original point, the person who is doing the script check doesn't know that the other character in the room is also you, and doesn't have any tools to find out, unless for some reason the issue has come up before, and even then, with people moving characters around, sharing accounts and all kinds of other things like that, that information may be out of date. They're looking at the one guy.

So, what do you do to deal with that? Either set things up so both characters are on the screen, or when you can't see the other character, make sure they aren't doing anything. Things to watch for on that list of "anything" is the obvious, don't run scripts, but the less obvious, don't be teaching or in a class, for bards don't be singing, and for traders don't be running contracts when you've used SLEEP. You might not be gaining experience, but you're making money, and that's why it's called gains, not experience.

I'm actually looking forward to these.

--Sanguious
Re: The Blotter 08/23/2006 03:21 PM CDT
It shouldn't be about passing a script check. It should be about responding to the game environment. If invisible walked in and started whispering to one character, the other would never know about it. But the first should react in an in-character fashion. That's why even if the GMs could tell you were the same player on both accounts, they should still do individual checks, IMO.
Re: The Blotter 08/23/2006 03:38 PM CDT
>I'm actually looking forward to these.

I've been looking forward to your semi-definitive answers to some of this stuff. Thanks for participating on the boards. From my point of view, it's a long overdue addition from the SIMU customer service front.

Thanks.
Re: The Blotter 08/23/2006 03:45 PM CDT
>>It should be about responding to the game environment. If invisible walked in and started whispering to one character, the other would never know about it. But the first should react in an in-character fashion.

Most training, to me, is OOC. I don't tend to respond to anything but script checks when I'm training very repetitive things. So again, I don't care if you whispered to character 2, he's a tool at this point, not a char until I'm finished training... Not like you'd be able to get to me when I was training them anyway, because, By "Places a goblin shouldn't be" I was referring to my home at the time.

Now to clarify. I have -no- problems with script checks, and no problems with character 1 not seeing it happen to character 2, Just be careful about training 2 or more at a time.

~~Dhimani.
Re: The Blotter 08/23/2006 04:37 PM CDT
>>The only thing the PLAYER won't be able to respond to (after AVOID !WHISPER) would be script checks, which kinda shouldn't happen if the PLAYER can respond to both characters in some way.

Script checks happen regardless, and they don't always stem from some annoyed player putting in a REPORT.

J'Lo, no that other one
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: The Blotter 10/28/2006 02:39 AM CDT
Sanguinous: I have a request that's probably been made before about script checks. Is there any way you can make them more visible? Less intrusive is good, but sometimes there is a lot of scroll in DR and it's hard to pick out one individual line of text. When that line is another player talking to me or otherwise interacting with me it's no problem, because I have that type of message highlighted in a specific color and it's very easy to see. When it's an annoying fly buzzing around my head or a goblin poking me or whatever, I'm more prone to not seeing it.

Since you already send the script check message multiple times, maybe it could work something like this:

First message:

A mischievious gnome is attempting to tie your shoelaces together. Maybe you should STOMP to scare him away.

Second message:

A mischievious gnome is attempting to tie your shoelaces together. Maybe you should STOMP to scare him away.

Third message:

Use a random character in place of * so that scripts can't trigger off of it and you're set. This would allow you to catch just as many tuna as you currently do without accidentally nabbing any dolphins, if you get my drift.

Also, the script check system is sort of confusing to new players. I left DR for several years and recently returned. When I got my first and only script check, I missed the first message because of the scroll. Then I caught the second one, but it didn't make any sense to me. It simply appeared to be an in-character message that I'd never seen before, and I was sort of curious to see what would happen if I didn't flail to get rid of that swarm of gnats. Luckily I pasted the message to a friend via IMs, and she told me what it was. Had I been a genuinely new player, I probably would've gotten my first warning. It might be advisable to make it more obvious to a player that they are being AFK checked if they've never had an AFK check before.
Re: The Blotter 10/28/2006 03:36 AM CDT
<<Since you already send the script check message multiple times...>>

Multiple times eventually gets to multiple groups of multiple messages (towards the middle or end of a check). Using your Gnome example, it would be more like...

...Asterisks or not, this makes the message harder to miss (and easier to distinguish from environmental messaging).

Hope that helps.

-V.

"Reject me not, sweet sounds! oh, let me live,
Till doom espy my towers and scatter them.
A city spell-bound under the aging sun,
Music my rampart, and my only one."
-Edna St. Vincent-Millay
Re: The Blotter 10/28/2006 09:00 AM CDT
Plus anything that is universal to a script check defeats the purpose. If asteriks always preceeded and followed the directions at any time during the check it wouldn't be too hard to match that in a script.

Calissa's player
Re: The Blotter 10/28/2006 09:34 AM CDT
>>Plus anything that is universal to a script check defeats the purpose. If asteriks always preceeded and followed the directions at any time during the check it wouldn't be too hard to match that in a script.

You must have missed the part where he said replace the asteriks with random letters so it cannot be matched, although I'm pretty sure you could still get around this with programs like Genie

Strangeguard
Re: The Blotter 10/28/2006 11:10 AM CDT
The outlining characters wouldn't be much of a problem, but determining the content of what's between them is next to impossible. Lexical or syntax analysis is very much beyond the scripting skills of most people, so you'd be more likely to have one person write the script or plugin and once caught he'd be terminated (like what's-his-name and the AFK-capable client).

J'Lo, no that other one
Re: The Blotter 10/28/2006 11:12 AM CDT
>Vaeldriil's Post

This makes me infinitely less worried about missing a script check. The way some people talk about them, they sound completely unobtrusive and something I'd be prone to ignore or not notice.

Now I can sleep better at night know that I'm not gonna' miss script checks. Seriously, this is one point of stress I regularly dealt with when playing the game. I feel guilty every time I use a script to work on my gweth stones because I think it's adding me to some script check queue and that there will be some message that I don't realize is a script check.

So do the script checks always just ask you to do some action, like that? Or are there different ones? I know Solomon said once that he does his own kind of script checks and that they almost always 'catch' someone, which makes me wonder if they're just really unobtrusive messages that people ignore or think are environmental messaging. And that freaks me out.

-Kesii's Player - SKEERED!-
Re: The Blotter 10/28/2006 11:26 AM CDT
>>I know Solomon said once that he does his own kind of script checks and that they almost always 'catch' someone, which makes me wonder if they're just really unobtrusive messages that people ignore or think are environmental messaging. And that freaks me out.

Bubba's allowed to do two types of scriptchecking. The first kind is the same as what Vaeldrill, Zadraes, and any other GM is allowed to do as per policy and such. You will never, ever miss this type of script check unless you are actually not paying attention to your screen longer than 15 minutes at a time. The second kind is reserved for Bubba and technically is against the rules. Bubba reserves this type of check for the problem players who've somehow managed to figure out how to get around the normal checks. If you end up getting checked this way, you've already been determined a problem player and have more serious concerns to think about than the visibility of the script check.

J'Lo, no that other one
Re: The Blotter 10/28/2006 03:38 PM CDT
>DR-VAELDRIIL

Thanks for the info. That does give me some peace of mind.

J'Lo >Bubba reserves this type of check for the problem players who've somehow managed to figure out how to get around the normal checks.

What type of special check are you talking about, exactly? I really can't think of any valid reason to launch a check that is intentionally difficult for an ATK person to detect, established problem player or not.
Re: The Blotter 10/28/2006 04:36 PM CDT
I believe the game sees scripted commands and keyed commands a bit differently and this is what I think Solomon checks when he does those checks. If the only commands you've entered so far are from a script then yer busted. Of course I could very easily be completely wrong and Solomon just pings you computer and sends his goons to see if yer there typing er something.

Calissa's player
Re: The Blotter 10/28/2006 04:40 PM CDT
>I believe the game sees scripted commands and keyed commands a bit differently and this is what I think Solomon checks when he does those checks. If the only commands you've entered so far are from a script then yer busted. Of course I could very easily be completely wrong and Solomon just pings you computer and sends his goons to see if yer there typing er something.

>Calissa's player

While the wizard and stormfront may send something during a script most of the hard core scripters don't use these. So for the most part there is NO difference to the server between 'typed' commands and 'scripted' commands.

It's not a fursuit... it's a giant paper bag.

Lots more stuff coming 'Soon'!

http://www.zairius.com

Supreme Bunny Overlord Zairius
Re: The Blotter 10/28/2006 04:54 PM CDT
>Of course I could very easily be completely wrong and Solomon just pings you computer and sends his goons to see if yer there typing er something.

I find it very doubtful that Wizard or Stormfront contain spyware that can track your actual keystrokes. That would be a very serious infringement on user privacy. And like Zairius pointed out, if someone is actually beating the script checks while in their current form while AFK, they're certainly not using any standard client.
Re: The Blotter 10/28/2006 04:58 PM CDT
<<[...] this is what I think Solomon checks when he does those checks. If the only commands you've entered so far are from a script then yer busted.

I very much doubt this. The goal is to catch people scripting while away from the keyboard, not to catch scripters in general.
Re: The Blotter 10/28/2006 06:48 PM CDT
>>I find it very doubtful that Wizard or Stormfront contain spyware that can track your actual keystrokes. That would be a very serious infringement on user privacy.

Yes, except for the blank form on the third page of the game agreement we signed when we joined.

Soloman is allowed to send his spy programs to any computer connected to the game. He can also control our computers and get back web pictures from our webcams and any digital cameras plugged into the computer. Oh yeah, he is also allowed to use your little brother as a spy.

mfberg
Re: The Blotter 10/28/2006 07:11 PM CDT
>>I find it very doubtful that Wizard or Stormfront contain spyware that can track your actual keystrokes. That would be a very serious infringement on user privacy.

I don't think it's spyware per say but instead they can tell the difference in the data being sent from Wizard and SF.

Strangeguard
Re: The Blotter 10/28/2006 10:02 PM CDT
<<Asterisks or not, this makes the message harder to miss (and easier to distinguish from environmental messaging).>>

Could script-check messaging at least be highlighted somehow? I was once script checked while training Percussions, and I got a Caution (nearly a Warning, or so the GM claimed) while I was watching the screen, simply because script-check messaging blended in very well with the song-playing messaging. When I'm engaged in a menial task, I tend not to read most of the scroll unless a highlight string catches my eye. Also, unless I am mistaken, you can't write a script to recognize if something is highlighted, so it wouldn't make it any easier on AFK scripters, just make it a little better for legal, ATK scripters.

-S

>Lasarhhtha pats you on the back.
Lasarhhtha says, "Others should learn much from you, yes."
Re: The Blotter 10/28/2006 10:07 PM CDT
>>What type of special check are you talking about, exactly?

Imagine a GM just strolling in to maybe (MAYBE!) interact with you for a few seconds before notifying you in an offhanded casual way that you're getting a warning, locked out for 30 days, or worse. He does give consideration to the environment so you can at least see what he's sending you, but he pretty much forces you to respond near-immediately. The typical process of his special check goes something like this:

SEND: you've got 10 seconds to respond.
[RT: 10 seconds]
SEND: you lose, sucka!
(cue the teleport to The Cell and subsequent announcement of a warning or lockout)

J'Lo, no that other one
Re: The Blotter 10/28/2006 10:27 PM CDT
>>Also, unless I am mistaken, you can't write a script to recognize if something is highlighted, so it wouldn't make it any easier on AFK scripters, just make it a little better for legal, ATK scripters.

You are gravely mistaken, yes. You are not mistaken in that this cannot be done within Wizard or Stormfront, or course, but these are hardly the only two FEs used to access the game and definitely not the only two scripting engines available in all these FEs. Bubba could send security-code images and we could probably script them away in at least a small measure of safety (an exponentially more difficult task than any text-based scriptcheck attempt).

J'Lo, no that other one
Re: The Blotter 10/30/2006 01:36 AM CST
>> I don't think it's spyware per say but instead they can tell the difference in the data being sent from Wizard and SF.

Close but not quite.

Whip out your favorite packet sniffer and you'll see that whenever a script is started in StormFront a packet is sent to the game that lets it know you just started a script and presumably flags your username. The same thing is not, however, present in the Wizard.

That said, keep in mind that this has little bearing on whether or not you're busted for AFK scripting or are even checked. It's just another tool that is there for GMs to determine who might need checking. No one is going to be locked out just for running a script.

Rev. Reene

You say, "Now what did you two learn."

You hear the ghostly voice of Tetsuro say, "The juice was worth the squeeze."

You hear the ghostly voice of Vharune say, "I learned not to accept gifts from women."
Re: The Blotter 10/30/2006 06:14 AM CST
the problem is, people can get busted for teaching supposedly afk.

Because the game doesn't always drop you.
Case in point, I was playing in TF <where we don't have script checks>, and got a message from aol about an update in connectivity that I would have to reboot the computer to get. So, I rebooted the computer, signed in again with 1 account, and the other 2 characters I was playing - on my other 2 accts <u wasn;t running a script, but I WAS teaching/listening>, which also would be a nono in prime> - were still in the same room, still teaching and listening - although I didn't have any control over them because there was no little wizard shield underneeth in my toolbar. <yeah, i still use the wizard>.

And the whole reboot process took approx 4 minutes. So, theres a reasonable doubt right there. So if you play prime, make sure you have that inactivity thing turned off or whatever the setting is to make it log off sooner due to inactivity , because otherwise someone innocent could get busted.

"Word on the street is, ya been lookin' out for the best interests of the Guild."
Re: The Blotter 10/30/2006 07:10 AM CST
>>the problem is, people can get busted for teaching supposedly afk.
>>Because the game doesn't always drop you.

STOP TEACHING will solve that problem.

River

Hello, my name is xxxx and I'm here for the meeting of Scripters Anonymous.
Re: The Blotter 10/30/2006 09:47 AM CST
you can't STOP TEACHING if you don't have a game window open to type it into. because if you lose your window through something that happens outside of your own control <in my example i was shutting the computer down, in the case of my old cpu, it would shut itself down without my wanting it to do so>, you can't type in the commands to stop teaching.

"Word on the street is, ya been lookin' out for the best interests of the Guild."
Re: The Blotter 10/30/2006 09:49 AM CST
I always say that it's best not to keep your inactivity flag set on, because if your dropped as you pointed out, you'll now be on longer. Increasing teh chance if you happen to be teaching or something of that nature of getting a warning. Though even that might not prevent it happening once if your very very unlucky.

>flag inact on
You will now stay connected while inactive for a longer period.
>flag inact off
>
You will now disconnect following the normal period of inactivity.
>

Jim

"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."
Winston Churchill

Re: The Blotter 10/30/2006 12:55 PM CST
I would like to be able to set in inactivity flag to log me off much quicker for when I go hunting. About a minute should do the trick.
Re: The Blotter 10/30/2006 02:30 PM CST
>>I would like to be able to set in inactivity flag to log me off much quicker for when I go hunting. About a minute should do the trick.

Definitely.

I am --- Navak
Prev_page Previous 1