Prev_page Previous 1
OOC behavior 09/23/2004 11:56 PM CDT
There isn't a folder for this sort of thing that I can see... So here will have to do unless somebody can tell me where would be more appropriate.

Lately people have been doing a lot of things over the gweth that seems terribly out of character. Things like "any 1" for anyone, or :/, or :), of "LF:" for looking for, using a lot of ~ to emphasize... Chat room sort of stuff.

This bugs me. I try to remain in character, and this sort of thing really breaks the mood. I know I could just ignore it or remove my gweth, but it's kind of hard to ignore ~~~LF: lots of stuff. Any 1 have these? I want them bad :/~~~ And I really shouldn't have to waste a gweth charge just because someone doesn't want to type it in a more in character fashion. "I am looking for lots of stuff and really want them," comes to mind...

So, if I report them will it do any good? Or should I just suck it up and deal? I would ask them quietly not to behave this way, but that's hard to do when I have no idea where they are. Asking them over the gweth would just be doing exactly what I don't want...

<<Rules of Conduct: Abusive and Disruptive Behavior-
<<Generally, it is up to the player to decide how much he or she wants to remain in character while playing DragonRealms. However, there can exist situations where being blatantly out of character can be considered abusive behavior: for example, an individual who insists on remaining out-of-character, even when associating with a group of other players which is trying to remain in-character. When one individual is reducing the enjoyment of ther players by out-of-character behavior (be it by speech, actions, messages over a game-wide system, or any other method of communication within DragonRealms), this may be considered as disruptive behavior. Judgment of what is and is not disruptive is entirely at the discretion of Simutronics.

That being said, it would be better if someone from Simutronics answered my question as opposed to a player.
Re: OOC behavior 09/24/2004 12:12 AM CDT
Well, I'm not the official voice of Simu or anything, but I agree with you that it's a problem. I've seen people doing this in regular conversation. Just today, I politely reminded someone that DR is not a chatroom after he used "nvm" in normal conversation. He basically told me to shut up and stop preaching. I don't understand why people would want to play an RP game and then not attempt to RP... but I digress.

News 5 16 also provides some explanation of Simu's stance on OOC behavior, though it doesn not specifiy penalties for being OOC.
Re: OOC behavior 09/24/2004 12:52 AM CDT
I completely agree as well. It's getting really tiresome. Makes me wish Rumet was still around to um... talk... to the offenders.

~Tykyra~
Re: OOC behavior 09/24/2004 05:33 AM CDT
<<Lately people have been doing a lot of things over the gweth that seems terribly out of character. Things like "any 1" for anyone, or :/, or :), of "LF:" for looking for, using a lot of ~ to emphasize... Chat room sort of stuff.

Lately? The gweth has been little more than a chat room for 5 years or so.

Sylvado

"False facts are highly injurious to the progress of science, for they often endure long; but false views, if supported by some evidence, do little harm, for everyone takes a salutory pleasure in proving their falseness."
Re: OOC behavior 09/24/2004 07:29 AM CDT
Ok, a caveat. All of my characters are always behave, technically, OOC because they don't follow the correct scripts for their guilds. My empath will not get Hodierna favors or give her more than what he considers her bare due, my Kaldaran paladin loves magic and follows Meraud, not Chadatru, my trader, while clean, has a definate taste for 'grunge' and so on ...

That said, if I actually paid attention to the gweth in places where there was a lot of OOC chatter, yeah, I might well bother to report it. I mean if you're bored enough and annoyed enough, go ahead. That, I do think, is the way to deal with OOC behavior ... in an OOC manner.

Don't know if it will ever do any good, but you can sure give it a try.

>I know I could just ignore it or remove my gweth,

When I get too irritated by it I just cover the thought window with something else. <g> I don't know why people think you have to actually take off your gweths to not hear 'em. Just stick 'em behind something else. Sorta like turning up the music so you can't hear your roomate butchering your favorite song in the shower.

Dio, player of
Re: OOC behavior 09/24/2004 10:36 AM CDT
>>I know I could just ignore it or remove my gweth

Alot of people say this, but ignoring the problem will not make it go away, it will simply make it worse.

~ Britia
Re: OOC behavior 09/24/2004 11:15 AM CDT
Just report it, copy paste, and say this was on the gweth in blah blah blah and it seems to be OOC.

I am --- Navak
Re: OOC behavior 09/24/2004 11:37 AM CDT
>Alot of people say this, but ignoring the problem will not make it go away, it will simply make it worse.

The problem is that making a comment about it in game makes it worse too, because you're adding to the OOC problem.

That and, I don't know about you, but I feel very, very uncomfortable confronting someone who is babbling on about something I have no clue what they're talking about ... the real.life equivalent of being OOC in DR.

Unlike a good role player, I put myself into my characters' heads and try to see DR through their eyes so when they're confronted with someone doing something wildly out of character, particularly something only I know about, they just shy off and try to not hear it ... the same way I turn away from and try not to get involved with some crazy person drooling and talking to themselves on the street.

But then that's just me. If they're too irritating, then, in DR, I would report them. Just not my business and not worth my time.

Now, if you RP correctly, it's a lot different. I suppose there you find out what the guild script is you're supposed to use and say it. Just not my style. I don't want to deal with OOC stuff IC.

Dio, player of
Re: OOC behavior 09/24/2004 01:19 PM CDT
<<All of my characters are always behave, technically, OOC because they don't follow the correct scripts for their guilds. My empath will not get Hodierna favors or give her more than what he considers her bare due, my Kaldaran paladin loves magic and follows Meraud, not Chadatru, my trader, while clean, has a definate taste for 'grunge' and so on ...>>

All of this does not necessarily mean you are being 'OOC'.

I still think that I should be able to scribe one more sigil onto a gweth when creating them. One that will instantly destruct upon the wearer thinking anything that has : * ~ ( ) or any other character in which people contain their hugs or smilies. The gweth is NOT an internet chat channel. It is NOT an instant message to one of your buddies via AIM. It IS a way of THINKING to everyone else within the radius of the gweth who is also wearing one. It is not a way to convey hugs, smooches or any other kind of ACTION via a THOUGHT. I really wish that the GMs would crack down on the smilies and hugs on the gweth but I know that's just a dream that'll never happen.

When I do notice people gwething a lot of actions or OOC nonsense, I do what another poster said, I cover up my thought window for a while.

~Tykyra~
Re: OOC behavior 09/24/2004 01:24 PM CDT
>my trader, while clean, has a definate taste for 'grunge' and so on ...

grunge ( P ) Pronunciation Key (grnj)
n. Slang
Filth; dirt.
A style of rock music that incorporates elements of punk rock and heavy metal, popularized in the early 1990s and often marked by lyrics exhibiting nihilism, dissatisfaction, or apathy.

Um yeah, that's pretty OOC.

-Luty
Re: OOC behavior 09/24/2004 01:38 PM CDT
Filth, dirt

Another source:

the state of being covered with unclean things

How is that OOC?

Sylvado

"False facts are highly injurious to the progress of science, for they often endure long; but false views, if supported by some evidence, do little harm, for everyone takes a salutory pleasure in proving their falseness."
Re: OOC behavior 09/24/2004 03:27 PM CDT
>All of this does not necessarily mean you are being 'OOC'

Nah, I know the rules. Empaths must follow Hodierna, love everyone and be pure in thought, word and deed. Paladins must always be noble, idealistic, purely driven by altruism and never greedy for worldly goods. Traders must always hold to the height of style and fashion so as to cater to their rich clientele. Blech. Boring. But in character. Out of character is anything different from the expected norm for guild and race. Role playing is how close you can get to being in character for race and guild.

But my trader, well, it was ok with the shirt with the torn pocket, then there were the steel toed boots, but when he got a kilt and swiped all his sibs' nose and eye jewelry ... um, yeah. With that and his cheap crossing standard gear, um, he looks like he wandered out of a Nirvana concert + crossbow. Oh well, better that than a refugee from a Ramones concert I suppose. But it is unusual, not to mention extremely OOC. <wry grin>

Ultimately though, why I don't make him change into something more IC is because it's not in anyone's face. It's not on the gweth. It's not even out loud. The only time it's really noticable is when he's working appraisal on all his jewelry. No one has to go through and stare at his rattiness. If someone wants to, they can, but it won't make any difference in their character's life if they do.

The thing is that I enjoy the OOC characters wandering around the realms far more than the purely IC ones. No, not the ones who talk about football or pop music, but the odd balls who really don't RP correctly at all or stay in character.

Now, I know there are a lot of people who think all of us should be kicked out on our ill clad behinds so that you can get on with your role playing. Personally, please, be welcome to Plat where it belongs, just as the true randomness ends up in TF. Oh, I've role played in TF, gotten an award for it even, (for talking about restarting the Elven-Human wars) but it's just not the same.

I think there is a limit to the role play that can and should be expected in Prime. Yes, the hugs and smooches get annoying on the gweth, more because they're so constant. Personally, I can't count how many times I've said "Great big hugs to you!" when chatting with someone on the phone, where I couldn't physically reach them, (like behind a bar) or in IM's/email. Also smooches, kisses, and other verbs. Just like I will use abbreviations when talking about some things with other DR players in person or voice, like H.E., M.E., and so on so I figure it's good enough role playing for Prime.

Now, if you want correct role playing, where people do keep their characters, well, in character and behaving as expected for their guild and race, then Platinum is where I think you should be. I've never tried it. Way too rich for my blood and I just don't have the patience for that kind of minutia. I've never cared for long term improvisational acting with someone else's characters. If I'm gonna do improv, I'm gonna do it with my own characters or at least some artistic control over the characters. Especially if I'm paying someone else to do it. Yes, I have done improvisational acting professionally. If someone else is paying me to act for them, then they get to set the character.

I think it is polite to not cram excessively OOC behavior on everyone around you. But some, I think, makes it fun for a lot of people, not just me.

You see to me, there is a continuum, from say an empath who doesn't like to forage but never says anything about it to talking about the latest Raven's game on the gweth. Both are out of character, but the empath who doesn't like to forage but does it anyways and keeps her mouth shut about how little she likes it isn't bugging anyone with her OOCness. The idiot babbling about something completely foreign to Elanthia in a large public forum disturbs a lot of people. The latter definately should be stepped on. The former? Probably should be stepped on as well, but it would make for a very, very dull game and one I don't think I'd like to play.

Dio, player of
Re: OOC behavior 09/24/2004 03:50 PM CDT
>>Out of character is anything different from the expected norm for guild and race.

Based on that almost every characheter I run in OOC. My cleric worships Aldauth, he would put an arrow through your heart in an instant. He hides at level and isn't too bad off for stealing. Not real 'helpful', but who cares, he is not there for helping, but to have fun and kill undead. Speaking of which has TM of a WM of his level.

Now that brings us to my moon mage. He is far from the typical moon mage. He trains a few weapons, a couple quite religiously. He can hold his own at level without relying on magic, but has decent skill in that as well, but uses that for when he is in trouble.

Have a few others too that are far from the norm. A paladin who wears leather mainly, an empath who refuses to heal without charging first, a WM who refuses to use familiars to mention them briefly.

The only one I consider fitting the expected norm is my barb and even he has his quirks. He acts like a barb, but unlike most barbs, he trains every single weapon. I consider that more like a barb than those who only work 3 or 4. It takes him longer to advance, but in the long run makes him more rounded.

Just cause you don't fit the norm, does not make you OOC.

Brabs

Fighting with a bunch of archers in Geni.

"Hey, it's shoot GENI, not shoot GEN!"
[Arcath] "Public Service Announcement: Please shoot at the archers and not at Arcath"
Your mind hears Gelicast thinking, "shoot the gelv cyclops, not gelicast"
Re: OOC behavior 09/24/2004 03:52 PM CDT
Roleplaying a trader means that you have joined the Traders guild, after that the beauty and joy of DR means that you can play that trader anyway you like. You could certainly be an empath that follows Damaris. Paladins could cuss out anyone they want and ignore a plea for help. That's why Paladins can steal but will play a penalty that is IG. They aren't forced into a locked room and made to read the policy book for the act of stealing itself. That makes them no less of thier guild, just the way they want to RP them. There are no rules except in the policies, which have nothing to do with the way you play your chosen guild or guilds. It is harder to go against the norm of course, but that doesn't mean you are breaking the rules, just showing imagination and initiative. OOC behaviour has nothing to do with how you play your guild, but how you play your character. A trader that talks about the latest DOW averages is a poor RPer, not a poorly played trader.

As to the gweth traffic, I dislike it the same as others, but beyond that and never doing it myself, it's a mild annoyance.

Couri et al.
Re: OOC behavior 09/24/2004 04:21 PM CDT
<<Nah, I know the rules. Empaths must follow Hodierna, love everyone and be pure in thought, word and deed. Paladins must always be noble, idealistic, purely driven by altruism and never greedy for worldly goods. Traders must always hold to the height of style and fashion so as to cater to their rich clientele. >>

Please quote me the rule that says this. No one says as a moon mage I have to sit on my butt and enchant all day long. No one says that empaths have to like foraging or shouldn't be vocal about their dislike of it. There is no standard set of 'rules' for how you should be RPing your character.

We RP how WE want to RP as long as it fits within the genre of the game and the situation our character is in. Just because you're a trader that dresses like a scuzbucket doesn't mean you are being OOC because every other trader out there is dripping in gold. Nor does it mean that since I'm a moon mage who likes combat and doesn't like to gate people all over the place that I'm OOC. It's all in how you RP it.

~Tykyra~
Re: OOC behavior 09/24/2004 04:37 PM CDT
I think everyone should realize at this point that Dio only says stuff like this to get people to argue with him. He admited as much in the "thee" thread a while ago.
Re: OOC behavior 09/24/2004 04:44 PM CDT
>>I think everyone should realize at this point that Dio only says stuff like this to get people to argue with him. He admited as much in the "thee" thread a while ago.

Hush you, I need something to do while I am at work.

Brabs

[Arcath] "Public Service Announcement: Please shoot at the archers and not at Arcath"
Re: OOC behavior 09/24/2004 05:47 PM CDT
<<I think everyone should realize at this point that Dio only says stuff like this to get people to argue with him. He admited as much in the "thee" thread a while ago.

What's wrong with that?

Sylvado

Re: OOC behavior 09/24/2004 06:08 PM CDT
The thing is, like obscenity, OOCness, for lack of a better word, is amazingly slippery to define. "I know it when I see it," doesn't work for either. <g>

For some people, yes, I'm sure having an empath who doesn't revere Hodierna above all else is OOC. For them, part of what defines an empath is reverence for Hodierna.

All of my characters are consistant to their own history and experiences, both before they came to Crossing and since. They have their likes, dislikes, quirks, even a phobia or two. (Don't mention spiders around Dio, just don't.) However, DR doesn't support any of that so they are all, technically, OOC. There's nothing, in game, that supports Dio's 'history' of having an older brother who tortured him by dumping spiders in his bed when he was a little boy. It is purely out of character. However, it can liven things up on occasion when life is getting slow and I need a little entertainment. Show him a spider. Watch him and everyone around him deal with this shrieking maniac trying to climb out of his skin to get away from the spider. It's called conflict and it makes a story go.

Problem is, if someone wanted to get fussy, they can just throw a fit about it all being OOC since they don't see a spider and why don't you go to one of those other MUDs/MUSHes where you can free form role play? Foo. That's no fun. But it is a real risk and lots of people do take this game that seriously. I like free form role playing alongside the more structured, skill based systems DR has to offer.

I figure eventually I'll trip over one too many people who have their hats on too tight and I'll get booted but until then, once I can play again, well, have fun while you can.

Dio, player of
Re: OOC behavior 09/24/2004 08:46 PM CDT
<makes a mental note to show Dio all her nice spidery stuff>

~Dulcinia

(Rikulf dances around, waves his arms around, and points at Dulcinia over his shoulder)
Rikulf says, "it's barb talk"
Rikulf says, "you wouldn't understand"
Re: OOC behavior 09/24/2004 10:18 PM CDT
><makes a mental note to show Dio all her nice spidery stuff>

Oh, please don't do that. It'll take me days to get him tied back together again. He really is phobic about spiders. You should see him in dusk ogres when one of the wolf spiders comes in ... and he goes ballistic.

Dio, player of
Re: OOC behavior 10/04/2004 08:18 PM CDT
Your mind hears an idiot thinking, "Send me a bird my pidgeon is xXDRGamer69Xx plz"

Authentic zoluren gweth net, early 2004. Ignoring it don't make it go away.

Know the apostrophe.
Re: OOC behavior 10/04/2004 09:34 PM CDT
I've heard all sorts of 'pigeon' names, and occasionally the stray email address or website spouted on the gweth. And no, ignoring it doesn't make it go away. It does annoy me simply based on the fact that the gweth is NOT a chat channel, and is not for letting everyone know what your email address is or your AIM SN. I shouldn't have to take off my gweth or cover up the window just in case someone broadcasts this information. People should be using common sense to NOT do that in the first place, simply because this is a ROLEPLAYING GAME and those things do not belong being spoken aloud in this environment. If someone does need to get that information to someone else and they're in gweth range.. they need to get off their lazy arse, walk to where that other person is, and whisper it to them. If they can't do that, find a moon mage willing to send a thoughtcast directly to the person needing the information. Or a ranger who has a companion and slates.. or anything else but the gweth. And yes, I do with the GM's would do something about it, but I know I'm dreaming. Anyway...

I'll get off my soapbox.

~Tykyra~

P.S. Yes, this is one of my biggest pet peeves if you can't tell.
Re: OOC behavior 10/04/2004 09:37 PM CDT
Agreed 100%.

~Dulcinia

You look at a baby wolf and sigh.
Re: OOC behavior 10/05/2004 07:35 AM CDT
>Report idiot "OMG DID YOU SEE THE FOOTBALL GAME LAST NIGHT"

It's not that hard.

I am --- Navak
Re: OOC behavior 10/05/2004 09:33 AM CDT
>>Agreed 100%.

One good thing about out here on M'riss is we don't get that too often Dulc? Do get a stray one every now and then, but for most part we don't.

Brabs

Re: OOC behavior 10/05/2004 10:11 AM CDT
I really hope that was a joke...

I am --- Navak
Re: OOC behavior 10/05/2004 12:05 PM CDT
>>One good thing about out here on M'riss is we don't get that too often Dulc? Do get a stray one every now and then, but for most part we don't.

The M'Riss gweth has been worse in different ways the last few days.

~~~Krin
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
"Goblins ... aisle 6, Mycthengelde ... hunt smart, hunt S-Mart!"
"You whine like a mule ... you are still alive!"
"Call me Snake."
Re: OOC behavior 10/05/2004 12:16 PM CDT
>>The M'Riss gweth has been worse in different ways the last few days.

Well guess I not been around or paying attention when it been happening then. Know it used to be decent overall at least.

Brabs

Re: OOC behavior 10/05/2004 12:40 PM CDT
I agree with Krin. Its enough to make me cover up my thoughts window anyway.

www.weebls-stuff.com
Re: OOC behavior 10/05/2004 10:45 PM CDT
what i'd like to see for prime would be a chat channel like they have in TF. that way you could use the GWETH for IC stuff, and chat for OOC stuff.

---
A scavenger troll arrives, scouring the area.

The scavenger troll exclaims, "I dinks I like da' Moongate!"

The scavenger troll bends over and picks up the Moongate. After appraising it, the troll places the Moongate in its frayed knapsack
Re: OOC behavior 10/05/2004 10:47 PM CDT
I've suggested this, Gonif. That would imply listening to us, however.

--Quelgash.
"Do not go where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path, and leave a trail." -Emerson
Re: OOC behavior 10/06/2004 08:59 AM CDT
If you take a peek over in the DRII Beta folders, you'll see it's already been answered.

The chatter channel was turned on for Beta and then turned off afterwards. Obviously not due to it not being there at all, since we had it already. It's due to resources. Plat and TF have a low population, not that much traffic on the chatter channel. Prime's population is way too high to support it.

Only reason we had it in Beta was because the population was so low you'd almost have thought it was Plat, heh. Many a time I logged in and found myself the only one in there except maybe a staff member or two who were staying hidden and you didn't even know they were there until you broadcast a CHAT and actually got an answer. Even during its peak, I don't think we ever broke 50. Pretty sure our record was somewhere in the low 30's.

~~~Krin
"Call me Snake."
Re: OOC behavior 10/06/2004 10:13 AM CDT
> Only reason we had it in Beta was because the population was so low you'd almost have thought it was Plat, heh.

Actually, most of the times I was in there watching folks break things it was signficently lower than Plat. Double heh.

- GM Dartenian
Platinum Events Team
Gnome & Kaldar Champion

"You ain't seen nothin' yet!" - Al Jolson

LiveJournal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/dartenian/
Re: OOC behavior 10/06/2004 12:22 PM CDT
I don't believe it was a resource issue as much as a "This isn't a good thing to have in Prime" which is the same reason it isn't in plat. I agree, yeah people go on and on about how they can just contact so and so via IM but to me a way of IG communication is essential and I usually prefer to do it that way unless it's a copy/paste type of situation.

One of the reasons I have a jadeite gweth, kyanite gweth, and a crystal ablredine ring.

I am --- Navak
Re: OOC behavior 10/06/2004 08:41 PM CDT
>>Actually, most of the times I was in there watching folks break things it was signficently lower than Plat. Double heh.<<

Yeah, especially immediately following the times when I logged in...

GameMaster Risek
Thief Development Assistant
What you think is real is your reality. - Robert Kiyosaki
Re: OOC behavior 10/07/2004 09:24 AM CDT
<<Yeah, especially immediately following the times when I logged in...>>

After we all agreed to let you live down the fact that you broke the realms every time you logged in, you had to go and bring that back up didnt you.

Sanya

I was taking a walk in the park when this post said I stole its purse. I tried to get away, but it just kept on coming. So I had to beat it to death with this purse I found.
-MOD-ILEDEMUS

Re: OOC behavior 10/07/2004 10:29 AM CDT
>>Navak>>I don't believe it was a resource issue as much as [snip]

Believe what you want, Navak, but I am telling you, that is exactly what the GM's told us when it was asked if the chatter channel channel could simply be left turned on when Beta was over. They said no, the resource usage would be too intensive. Period. But what do they know, they just run the darn thing.

~~~Krin
"Call me Snake."
Re: OOC behavior 10/07/2004 10:30 AM CDT
>>Dart>>Actually, most of the times I was in there watching folks break things it was signficently lower than Plat. Double heh.<<

>>Risektoo>>Yeah, especially immediately following the times when I logged in...

That's because we were afraid you were about to crash the server again. :-P

~~~Krin
"Call me Snake."
Re: OOC behavior 10/07/2004 12:17 PM CDT
>>Believe what you want, Navak, but I am telling you, that is exactly what the GM's told us when it was asked if the chatter channel channel could simply be left turned on when Beta was over. They said no, the resource usage would be too intensive. Period. But what do they know, they just run the darn thing.

Where? I remember the question being asked, and I had thought I remembered the answer. I checked a few different folders, DR2, Gen Discussion.

I am --- Navak
Prev_page Previous 1