Regarding rest mode and not gaining any *new* experience. 07/24/2004 03:21 AM CDT
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to see if I understand this correctly. If a character wants to go into rest mode for a while, are they allowed to go into an inn and latch the door and go afk for a while? I'm NOT talking afk scripting. I'm talking just resting and absorbing old experience. I had an incident where a character of mine was in a room at an Inn. She latched her door and rested her mind a while. When I returned, someone had come in, grabbed her and took her out of the room that was supposed to be latched and said it was wrong to be using up a room that way. I think the person grabbing her and dragging her out of the room was against policy and that I did nothing wrong, but I'd love to know what the GM's think about that. I'd love not only players comments but a GM giving an official answer would be great too!

Thanks.
Re: Regarding rest mode and not gaining any *new* experience. 07/24/2004 05:29 AM CDT
Yeah, it's ok but how did they get in if the door was latched? I drain in latched rooms when I travel, never had one invaded before.

Gizella
Re: Regarding rest mode and not gaining any *new* experience. 07/24/2004 09:11 AM CDT
I don't like rest mode anyway but using a latched room means you are using a limiter resource of the game while you are afk.

Better to remove rest mode and require players to always be at the keyboard.

Sylvado

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."
Re: Regarding rest mode and not gaining any *new* experience. 07/24/2004 11:28 AM CDT
>>Sylvado>>Better to remove rest mode and require players to always be at the keyboard.

Better for people like you who like to just sit around and not gain anything, perhaps. Some of us like to train and would rather drain while afk anyway so our character's pools are empty and ready to train again when we return.

As for the original poster, I would recommend finding an out-of-the-way place and just hiding there, going into rest mode, and firing up an idler script to keep you form logging out. One that logs you out after so many minutes is even better. An example of such a script:

counter set 20
save start
if_1 counter set %1
goto counter_%c

counter_0:
echo *
echo *
echo * Parameter error!
echo *
echo * Defaulting to 20 repetitions
echo *
echo *
counter set 20

loop_start:
save run

loop_run:
echo *
echo * %c reps remaining
echo *
counter subtract 1
put exp
pause 180
goto loop_%c

loop_0:
put quit
exit

labelError:
goto loop_%s

The above script will log you out after 20 3-miinute periods unless you give it something other than the default such as:

>.logout 30

The above would run it (assuming you called it logout.cmd when you saved it) and go to 30 reps, an hour and a half, before logging you out. That script is written for the Wizard, my Genie version is a bit better since Genie has better script commands like an actual IF...THEN statement so I don't have to fake it with %s and labelError. Plus triggers to catch it if I die (never know when an invasion critter might show up) and log me out immediately.

~~~Krin
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
"Goblins ... aisle 6, Mycthengelde ... hunt smart, hunt S-Mart!"
"You whine like a mule ... you are still alive!"
"Call me Snake."
Re: Regarding rest mode and not gaining any *new* experience. 07/24/2004 11:46 AM CDT
One thing you can do if you're in Crossing is go in the Empath Guild, go stair, go door, and then pick a room (preferably not the white one, because it has the best mana) put yourself in sleep/rest mode and then turn all your avoids on. They're safe rooms so noone can attack you (not even invasion critters if I remember right), noone can blow boxes 'cause you can't pop boxes down there, You could be NB'd and slept but if you have all your avoids on they can't drag you out. I hide down there all the time. My only request is that those that hide down there don't take up space in the White Room 'cause it's got the best life mana and that's where everyone likes to go to heal.

Wonderpuff Gortday

Watch out, I'm comming, and when I get to you it's not going to be pretty!
Re: Regarding rest mode and not gaining any *new* experience. 07/24/2004 02:19 PM CDT
If you can think and/or use magic in a room while it's "latched", it doesn't stay latched and in the "old" days inn rooms didn't stay latched. So, just check that. Even barbs can type "POWER" or "PERCEIVE" and see if it is stopped I believe.

I am --- Navak
Re: Regarding rest mode and not gaining any *new* experience. 07/24/2004 03:09 PM CDT
<<When I returned, someone had come in, grabbed her and took her out of the room that was supposed to be latched and said it was wrong to be using up a room that way.--DEVONNE2

<<using a latched room means you are using a limiter resource of the game while you are afk.-Sylvado

Um... maybe I'm just being naive, but... inn rooms aren't for sleeping? They're a "limited resource"... for what? ::hums innocently:: I must say, I'd LOVE to know who was so anxious for a room that they'd be willing to bust in on a sleeping guest at the inn to throw them out. Yikes. I have no problem with people using an available room for... whatever it is they wanna do in there... but to toss a sleeping guest out like that strikes me as incredibly rude and erm... desperate. I don't remember ever reading a sign at any of the inns indicating they were only to be used for, um, frisky business, and that sleeping was most definitely not allowed. Have I missed something?

Oh, and here's a thought, for the desperate soul who did the tossing out-- I have two words for you. REAL ESTATE.

--Mor
Re: Regarding rest mode and not gaining any *new* experience. 07/24/2004 03:33 PM CDT
<<I have two words for you. REAL ESTATE.>>

Or maybe they need a quick dip in a very cold pond, or river.

I've spent many a time, while traveling or before I bought my house, sleeping in inn rooms. That's what I was told they were for (besides the occasional romp) and never once was I told that it is using limited resources. If I couldn't find an available room I found a very quiet, very out of the way place to sleep.

The original poster might want to double check tho, next time, that the latch on the door is indeed latched. I always latch and unlatch a few times just to be sure. And if it happens again, possibly bug the door latch or report the offender.

~Tykyra~

Vorclaf says to Raenilar, "Are you waiting for an invitation to be seated, or do you wish to conquer it first."
Re: Regarding rest mode and not gaining any *new* experience. 07/24/2004 05:56 PM CDT
<<I have no problem with people using an available room for... whatever it is they wanna do in there... but to toss a sleeping guest out like that strikes me as incredibly rude and erm... desperate. I don't remember ever reading a sign at any of the inns indicating they were only to be used for, um, frisky business, and that sleeping was most definitely not allowed. Have I missed something?

Not a problem if they are at the keyboard RPing being asleep.

Sylvado

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."
Re: Regarding rest mode and not gaining any *new* experience. 07/24/2004 06:16 PM CDT
There is absolutely nothing wrong with putting yourself in an inn room, latching the door, going into 'sleep' mode and 'rest' mode and leaving yourself there. Your experience is being drained and you aren't learning anything new. The latch on the door is to allow a person privacy, no matter what it is they are doing. So please do not even go there about RP'ing being asleep. That's just laughable.

~Tykyra~

Vorclaf says to Raenilar, "Are you waiting for an invitation to be seated, or do you wish to conquer it first."
Re: Regarding rest mode and not gaining any *new* experience. 07/24/2004 06:28 PM CDT
<<Not a problem if they are at the keyboard RPing being asleep.

Huh? If someone is not gaining new experience (sleep mode), they are allowed to be afk. I don't recall reading a stipulation that such afk sleeping is allowed in all rooms except for lockable inn rooms, in which, apparently, one had better be very busy so as not to raise the ire of the fidgeting crowd gathering in the lobby.

If you have a problem with people using sleep mode to drain experience, that's a separate issue, and has nothing to do with where a person chooses to do so. If it's just a matter of wanting those rooms available for people's private interpersonal activities... why restrict the criticism to the sleeping guests? Maybe there should be a time limit on how long anyone can occupy them (half an hour? an hour? at what point does it become an infringement on the enjoyment of other players?), and then the manager of that inn can come bust in on them and haul them out to make room for the next anxious guests.

--Mor

p.s. No, I am not serious about the time limit. I think people will live if they can't get into a lockable room the instant they want one. If not, they are welcome to buy a house so they don't have to worry about those little urges coming up at inopportune moments.
Re: Regarding rest mode and not gaining any *new* experience. 07/24/2004 06:37 PM CDT
RP Being Asleep?

You mean like ignoring everyone and everything and not moving, even when being dragged about?

The victum should of reported first and asked questions later, and if they were truely a hide away scripter, turned the offending person into a crater the size of at least new brunzwick.

The Fact of the matter is. REST MODE, which is provided by SIMU for the PURPOSE OF RESTING, to clear all skills. If your character isn't in harms way or annoying someone, which snoring does, if that's the RP you mean, you(THE PC) are paying for that time, and letting your character, stand, sit, lie, about in a locked room(which was probably picked by the horney offender) doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING is within POLICY. So please, go read the policy. And leave sleeping character's lay about.

If, during this time, they choose to ignore they're character in a potentionally dangerous location, such as infront of the bank during an invasion, they're paying for that character, so MYOB. Their death won't count on your death counter.

You should only worry if they're scripting magic or lore or survival or anything else. Not resting in the POLICY APPROVED, FE built In REST MODE.

Ok, I'm sleeping now, so what am I going to do?

X>to you "hey, want to go hunt?"

X>to you "hey are you asleep?"

X>to you "You can't do that, even though your not moveing or teaching or any other intentional skill learning, so I'm going to drag you into fen's and let you get killed.

!ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!

Wrong Awnser!

This is against policy to harrase sleeping characters who are in no way violating policy. It is not policy for a character to force antoher character to respond.

It is not Required by anyone or anything to even look at you if you talk to them. Especially if you pick a lock to enter a room where they are. So please, Take your RP sleeping and go read the policies.

Not to be violent or anything. But GEEZE. a locked room is a locked room, and not everyone has 30+ dollars to throw away to be able to afford a ig home. Considering it only takes 20-30 minutes to clear even a low wiz/int mind. The dragger was out of line and should of been forced to read the policies as well.

.srats eht esahc sevlow ,eerf nur snrocinu erehW

Re: Regarding rest mode and not gaining any *new* experience. 07/24/2004 08:04 PM CDT
Bottom line. You are using a game resource that someone that is at the keyboard would like to use. This whole issue would be much simpler if there was one simple rule, you must be responsive to the game at all times, no exceptions.
If you are going to sit there and drain you might as well afk script.

Sylvado

Re: Regarding rest mode and not gaining any *new* experience. 07/24/2004 08:07 PM CDT
<<So please, go read the policy

Never have, never will read the policy, simple courtesy is much more effective.

Sylvado

Re: Regarding rest mode and not gaining any *new* experience. 07/24/2004 08:46 PM CDT
>>>Never have, never will read the policy, simple courtesy is much more effective.

Ah, yes. And the simple curteousy would be to leave a person in the inn alone. If the door is latched, or has someone in it, leave them be. They are using up no resources that cannot be found somewhere else. I would be willing to bet that if you are in sleep mode in an inn, you would NEVER get in trouble, even if a GM saw you. That is what they are there for. To be alone. If you were scripting something while afk, yes, you would get in trouble and rightfully so.

Player of Raydell, among many others.

Re: Regarding rest mode and not gaining any *new* experience. 07/24/2004 08:50 PM CDT
Well since you won't read it I'll put it here for you...

This is from Policy 16 - Scripting Policy:
Exceptions: In general, if you are running a script or are in Rest Mode and are not gaining any new experience, skills, money, or an in-game advantage, it does not fall under this policy. Being AFK or in Rest Mode while absorbing experience you have already gained is not a violation of this policy. Passively acquiring new experience, such as listening to teaching, or being in a heavily populated area to gain perception while AFK is considered a violation.

<<Never have, never will read the policy, simple courtesy is much more effective.>>

Yes, simple courtesy would have been good in the situation of the original poster. The person who dragged them out of the inn room should have showed some courtesy and left the person who was sleeping alone.

~Tykyra~

Re: Regarding rest mode and not gaining any *new* experience. 07/24/2004 08:56 PM CDT
<<I must say, I'd LOVE to know who was so anxious for a room that they'd be willing to bust in on a sleeping guest at the inn to throw them out.

I'm starting to get a sneaking suspicion regarding the answer to my earlier curiosity on this subject... Heh heh...

--Mor
Re: Regarding rest mode and not gaining any *new* experience. 07/24/2004 08:59 PM CDT
<<Never have, never will read the policy, simple courtesy is much more effective.

Would it be simple courtesy to read policy before discussing it? Not that it matters, I'm sure there isn't much of policy that hasn't been posted on boards you do read so whether or not you actually read it from official documents, I imagine you've picked up most of it from the boards.

I read policy because having agreed to abide by it, simple courtesy required it of me. :-P

~The player of Nevynral
Re: Regarding rest mode and not gaining any *new* experience. 07/24/2004 10:14 PM CDT
>>>Never have, never will read the policy, simple courtesy is much more effective.

And if you haven't read it, then you can't comment on the general minutiae of Policy, due to requiring a knowledge of said minutiae in order to understand it.

Policy != Courtesy
Policy = Rules

Very different concepts, Sylvado.

Amagaim; the player of,

Keep your chin up. You'll look tougher than you are. You'll also be accused of having an "attitude." Punch them in the groin and tell them you don't HAVE an attitude.

---Signs Of Your Life, Hentaraen 3, 3
Re: Regarding rest mode and not gaining any *new* experience. 07/25/2004 12:55 AM CDT
Thank you all for your responses!

I was pretty sure I had a right to sleep in that room, but the two people in there seemed pretty determined to make it sound like it was my fault for being there. I think the latched door IS a bug because I scrolled back to look and yes indeed I had latched it. For anyone curious as to which room it was, it was at the Inn just a few rooms west of the Bank in Crossing. I don't remember the name of the exact room, but it's the one with the crystal door and an extra blue door to the balcony. Also...when I woke up and re-entered the room, I'm guessing they had latched it too and was surprised to have me discover them both laying down on the balcony. I was tempted to report him for dragging me, but then I thought perhaps I didn't remember the policy correctly. I read it again and then posted here because the policy doesn't really go into detail as to whether you can rest in a locked room or not. Again, thank you all for your input and honesty.

To a few that mentioned going to a safe room to hide instead of an Inn, I did that once before and found myself naked in the temple when I woke up. I had been hiding in a "safe" room in rest mode and also in sleep mode, and it was even in a remote area. Regardless, someone dragged me out, I somehow died and I lost about 30 plat worth of items that I was never able to recover. So those that think that's a good idea...just a heads up.

For any that think I wasted space, well, I'm a person that spends a LOT of time RP'ing, rather that just trying to be a circle freak, so when I do train and want to rest a while and drain some of that experience, I have the right to do so. That's why my biggest character is still only 51 circles after 4 years in the game. Since I'm not abusing the game in any way by doing so, I think I earned the right, don't you? smiles

Once more thanks!
Re: Regarding rest mode and not gaining any *new* experience. 07/25/2004 01:21 AM CDT
I had a feeling you were going to say it was the crystal door. I've had issues with that door as well. It's why I latch and unlatch the 'Crystal door' a few times before resting for the night.

~Tykyra~

Re: Regarding rest mode and not gaining any *new* experience. 07/25/2004 08:11 AM CDT
<<Yes, simple courtesy would have been good in the situation of the original poster. The person who dragged them out of the inn room should have showed some courtesy and left the person who was sleeping alone.

I agree with that. I never said it was right to drag, I just said that if you are not at the keyboard you should log out. As a ranger I would never have a need for a room at the inn anyway. If someone wanted to use the room they wouldn't have been able to and I don't think that is right. I don't think it is right for someone to drive in the left lane when not passing but I wouldn't drive them off of the road for it.

Sylvado

Re: Regarding rest mode and not gaining any *new* experience. 07/25/2004 08:12 AM CDT
<<I'm starting to get a sneaking suspicion regarding the answer to my earlier curiosity on this subject... Heh heh...

Have the GMs check to see if I was even logged in at the time.

Sylvado

Re: Regarding rest mode and not gaining any *new* experience. 07/25/2004 08:14 AM CDT
<<Policy != Courtesy
<<Policy = Rules

<<Very different concepts, Sylvado.

I agree, but with courtesy there is no need for policy. I have no in game warnings on my record.

Sylvado

Re: Regarding rest mode and not gaining any *new* experience. 07/25/2004 08:16 AM CDT
<<For any that think I wasted space, well, I'm a person that spends a LOT of time RP'ing, rather that just trying to be a circle freak, so when I do train and want to rest a while and drain some of that experience, I have the right to do so. That's why my biggest character is still only 51 circles after 4 years in the game. Since I'm not abusing the game in any way by doing so, I think I earned the right, don't you? smiles

I have not, nor would I, comment on your role playing abilities.

Sylvado

Re: Regarding rest mode and not gaining any *new* experience. 07/25/2004 12:43 PM CDT
51 circles in four years!? You are trying to circle,see, I only have 30 after six! And five of those in response to the new combat mechanics! Go Combat!

Also, from now on, in a safe room, Avoid everything and stand up. Laying down makes it easier to overcome the avoid drag. I think anyone who drags someone into a combat zone knowing that person is afk, WETHER OR NOT they are violating policy, should be locked out themselves, and forced to read and resign the policy before they log back in.
Murder is murder is murder is murder is murder.

Wether it is your hand or someone elses you enlist in doing it. That's why there is a conspiriacy to commit murder law in the real world. A person who drags someone who is afk should be locked out for consparicy to commit murder, or at least fined and jailed as if they commited a murder. I mean how hard is this.

Guard sees X drags an unresponsive Y out the gate. (dragging being the trigger action) Y dies. X returns, with or without Y and is arrested for conspiracy and fined with murder.

.srats eht esahc sevlow ,eerf nur snrocinu erehW

Re: Regarding rest mode and not gaining any *new* experience. 07/25/2004 01:38 PM CDT
Only 51 in four years? I plan to be circle 90 by that time...

Katsura
AIM: Dantragg
Re: Regarding rest mode and not gaining any *new* experience. 07/25/2004 02:14 PM CDT
>>To a few that mentioned going to a safe room to hide instead of an Inn, I did that once before and found myself naked in the temple when I woke up. I had been hiding in a "safe" room in rest mode and also in sleep mode, and it was even in a remote area. Regardless, someone dragged me out, I somehow died and I lost about 30 plat worth of items that I was never able to recover. So those that think that's a good idea...just a heads up.

One of the great advantages of having a home or knowing a friend who lets you crash in his/her home. Nobody but the GMs and your friend can even reach you if you're inside a home, and the GMs will leave you alone if you aren't doing anything wrong (well, they might nag you to go do something or perhaps just log you off but they won't drag you out into a hunting grounds to die or expose you to the privations of other characters).

J'Lo, no that other one
Re: Regarding rest mode and not gaining any *new* experience. 07/25/2004 02:17 PM CDT
That's why avoids are key.
Re: Regarding rest mode and not gaining any *new* experience. 07/25/2004 02:36 PM CDT
<<I just said that if you are not at the keyboard you should log out>>

What it boils down to is this is your opinion. However, policy states otherwise and many, many players will go by what policy says and will keep themselves logged in (while in sleep and rest mode) in an inn room (for those who can't afford to pay the $30 a month for a home). Your opinion doesn't always necessarily mean that it's right.

<<If someone wanted to use the room they wouldn't have been able to and I don't think that is right>>

Tough noogies. If someone is so hot to trot to satisfy their libido they'll just have to find someplace else to do it. Or like was stated earlier, take a very cold dip in the brook. Inn rooms are there for whoever want to use them and take as much time to use them as they want. Otherwise the inn keepers would have the rooms on a timer and would boot the parties out after so much time.

~Tykyra~

Re: Regarding rest mode and not gaining any *new* experience. 07/25/2004 02:40 PM CDT
<<What it boils down to is this is your opinion

I never stated otherwise.

Sylvado

Re: Regarding rest mode and not gaining any *new* experience. 07/25/2004 09:37 PM CDT
>>>I agree, but with courtesy there is no need for policy. I have no in game warnings on my record.

And neither do I.

Amagaim; the player of,

Keep your chin up. You'll look tougher than you are. You'll also be accused of having an "attitude." Punch them in the groin and tell them you don't HAVE an attitude.

---Signs Of Your Life, Hentaraen 3, 3