Probably a stupid question, but here goes 07/14/2004 01:03 PM CDT
I can sometimes play at work, quiet legitimately and without it being 'bad'. (There are things to be said for working as a receptionist.) However, when I gotta go, I gotta go, sometimes with far less than a second's warning.

Is it considered mechanics abuse to log at random relative to the game? I.e. I could be in combat, swinging a sword, walking through town, etc. and log because a job landed on my lap in real.life or I got a phone call. The only IG advantage I see to this is not getting an AFK warning for being non-responsive.

It's fundamentally no different from a boot, except I'm actually giving a command on this end. (Oh, and probably won't be hanging around people too much, as that would be rather disturbing, I'm sure.)

Vale, player of
Re: Probably a stupid question, but here goes 07/14/2004 01:31 PM CDT
The problem with that is that you are in the middle of combat. Combat logging is viewed as wrong, because some people would use it to their own advantage just to get away from critters who are beating them senseless. Now if you were braiding grass or walking through town, and just dropped out of existance, that should not be a problem. As a suggestion and safety precaution (because when you log in, there could be a dozen factors that put you at risk in combat), you could only train things like mech or swimming or climbing or whatnot while youre at work, and wait till you get home to work on things like combat that could put you at possible risk for being in trouble when you log back in, or could possibly get you in trouble. Thats just my two cents though (and I'm broke now that I've thrown it in).

Sanya

I was taking a walk in the park when this post said I stole its purse. I tried to get away, but it just kept on coming. So I had to beat it to death with this purse I found.
-MOD-ILEDEMUS

Re: Probably a stupid question, but here goes 07/14/2004 04:11 PM CDT
>As a suggestion and safety precaution (because when you log in, there could be a dozen factors that put you at risk in combat)

Actually that's some of why I asked. Truly random logging is rather dangerous, when it comes down to it. At least if you're hunting at circle. And I have no control over when I have to log. If I stayed out of combat, actually then I'm taking advantage by limiting my character's exposure to that risk.

As a corralary ... is it mechanics abuse to stay out of combat if you know you have an unreliable connection, say on a friend's machine or other secondary connection?

Vale, player of
Re: Probably a stupid question, but here goes 07/14/2004 04:50 PM CDT
Combat logging to avoid damage is mech abuse, not just combat logging across the board. Similar to in a PvP situation, logging while I'm beating you with a stick is different than you running away to some remote area of a swamp and then logging.

I am --- Navak
Re: Probably a stupid question, but here goes 07/14/2004 04:51 PM CDT
>As a corralary ... is it mechanics abuse to stay out of combat if you know you have an unreliable connection, say on a friend's machine or other secondary connection?

This is a definite "no". It's your character, you can do whatever you want with them. Choosing not to hunt is not mechanics abuse. And actually, it is advised NOT to hunt if your connection is unreliable at best.

The only problem I could see is starting trouble with a player, giving them consent and then bolting when they came for you. You don't sound like the type, haha.

As for the previous post, I don't think it's mech abuse to log while hunting if you really need to leave. Mech abuse is actually abusing mechanics, you're not abusing mechanics. You just can't stay in game. The policy exists to prevent people from doing things which are disruptive to the game... logging due to RL is not disruptive, especially if hunting solo. That's merely how you can play.

If a GM would care to disagree, that'd be good. But I don't see mech abuse in that.

--Quelgash.
"Do not go where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path, and leave a trail." -Emerson
Re: Probably a stupid question, but here goes 07/14/2004 06:03 PM CDT
It is only considered mech abuse if you log from combat to avoid imminent death, specifically a death that is occuring due to normal combat conditions. You simply need to leave the game, regardless of what's transpiring inside, that's a different story: it's a RL issue making you leave, not an IG one.

You log back in, the critters return (if the combat logging mechanics work like they're supposed to) and you go right back to fighting them, I don't think a GM would care.

~~~Krin
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
"Goblins ... aisle 6, Mycthengelde ... hunt smart, hunt S-Mart!"
"You whine like a mule ... you are still alive!"
"Call me Snake."
Re: Probably a stupid question, but here goes 07/14/2004 06:16 PM CDT
>You log back in, the critters return (if the combat logging mechanics work like they're supposed to) and you go right back to fighting them

They don't if they're loosing ... cowards! I wish they'd come back with me. <snort> Guess that shows that the system doesn't consider what I'm doing combat logging.

Vale