Conflicting Consent Issues 02/06/2004 08:23 PM CST
I'm seeing some conflicting parts to both News 5-24 and News 5-25

According to News 5-24
2) Bonus/Neutral -- Spells that do not cause direct harm to the target do not provide consent UNLESS they are being used as a means to do harm to the target, harass the target, or in an abuse/theft type of situation. Example: Halt does not necessarily provide consent; however, Halt used to place the target in danger from the environment, creatures, or persons can provide consent against the caster. Empaths, please note that "sleeping" a person MAY result in the target having consent on you if it places them in danger. Moon Mages, please note that Seer's Sense MAY result in the target having consent upon you, depending on what it ends up being used for.

According to News 5-25
--> SPELLS (INCLUDING ENCHANTES, ROARS, PREDICTIONS AND "AREA EFFECTS") <--

* You cast a spell on me! Is it consent?
YES -- if it places me in imminent danger -- or COULD HAVE. That doesn't mean I have to die from it, or be injured. If you cast on me out in the badlands, it's consent, even if no critters get to me before I recover or get dragged out.
---That part agrees with News 5 24...But then:
* But it wasn't harmful ... it was a helpful spell. Is that consent?
YES -- Casting on me without my permission or invitation can still be interpreted as a threatening action. If you say "I'm going to cast Ethereal Shield on you" or "Join me for courage" and I don't demur or I join up, then no harm, no foul. But walking up to me and casting on me is grounds for retaliation, even if it was just Ethereal Shield. (see PREPPING, GESTURING)

Anybody able to explain this?
Re: Conflicting Consent Issues 02/07/2004 02:14 AM CST
Basically, you're not going to get in trouble if someone walks into the room as you're casting a spell or if they do something that nullifies any disapproving thought they might have. If, however, you randomly cast spells on someone without their express desire laid out beforehand, it is considered an attack of sorts and therefore consent is granted against you. Also, if you cast spells on folks in a duel or other conflict it's considered consent as you are entering the battle by picking a side.
Re: Conflicting Consent Issues 02/07/2004 10:04 AM CST
I think it can be consent when a non harmful spell is cast on you, in certain circumstances.
Just the other day I was sitting in a class with an empath and a paladin came in.
Now I dont know the whole story, but the empath apologized to the paladin cause the paladin was upset over something the empath said or did and the empath wasnt even certain what it was. Anyhow, empath apologizes, paladin basically says, "whatever" not accepting the apology.
I didnt say anything, too busy opening boxes. Next thing I know the paladin holds my hand and the empaths hand. Im thinking, "where is this paladin trying to take us?"
He casts courage and disbands us.
Now, my character is a bit peezed over this. He gets used by some paladin for the use of a courage he didnt want and wasnt asked or informed of, as well as the nice empath who healed me up.
My character has concent. Cause whether the Paladin knows or not, that spell does effect me negatively. I wont say how, but imagine if he did this to a barbarian? I dont think they'd enjoy being pulled into a spell, and as I dont use a title or show my guild, I could have been a barbarian.
So yes, non harmful spells can give consent. Luckily my character has a very short attention span at times and he found the boxes in his backpack more in need of popping then hunting down some paladin.