Re: I demand polls related to Simu's performance 05/30/2003 08:57 AM CDT
"Feedback" is an interesting entity. I realize that it seems like we use it as our safety net. The catch-all company line for when things aren't going your way, or when we don't have a satisfactory answer for you.

If you remember from basic history, a description of the American democratic system is defined as a series of checks & balances. Feedback exists in that capacity for the staff. When you have an issue that you wish to be appealed, or reviewed by senior staff -- you are sent directly to Feedback. But that is not their only function.

The reason it's called Feedback is precisely what it's there for, to listen to your viewpoints on various topics or items as well as handle policy issues. When you don't know who to contact, write to Feedback.

*Feedback routs those emails directly to the staff members that need to see it.*

If you liked a merchant, enjoyed a quest, love a new system, or had a good experience with a GH or GM -- write them, they do pass the kudos on and it often makes people's day.

If you were unhappy with your treatment, or completely unsatisfied with an aspect of the game -- write them, they will make sure the incident gets sent to that person's supervisor for review.

This does not guarantee that you will get a response you were looking for, what it does mean is that your thoughts are being listened to and taken into consideration, both positive and negative.

The boards remain your best available forum for suggestions and specific responses to game issues. Almost all the GMs at the very least read the folders that deal with their territory in the game.

But when all else fails, fire it off to Feedback to make sure someone sees it.

For those of you attending the Con -- safe journies there and home again. Have a wonderful time. :)

Sincerely,
SGM Auriane
Re: I demand polls related to Simu's performance 05/30/2003 09:01 AM CDT
<<Emailing feedback is not the same as emailing GMs...with feedback you are pretty much guaranteed at least some kind of responce...>>

It depends on what you send. I've never yet emailed a question or request for help to any GM that didn't get a response of some kind (even if it's "no, go away"). On the other hand, sending in details of bugs, testing results, etc. rarely get replies ... in fact I believe I'm safe in saying I've never gotten a response in such a situation. I have no doubt they're read and receive consideration but what's the GM going to say? "Ok, got it, thanks"? Maybe the ever-popular "Gee you should look into getting a life now, Gizella"? Personally I'd rather they spend that couple minutes working on something nifty that'll benefit the game.

Gizella
Re: I demand polls related to Simu's performance 05/30/2003 12:11 PM CDT
You can request a notification through many email clients that simply notifies you that your email has been recieved and looked at. It doesnt affect the GMs time in anyway and saves them having to waste time responding to each person saying "got it" etc.

But as Gizella said, I would rather they were doing something constructive with there time than replying to every single email they recieve, specially since some of them are probably a waste of their time reading anyways <G>

Feedback is good, constructive feedback etc. But the people who complain and whine and never put in a single valid point or reason and make it sound like the world is going to end, just really put a dampener on things. The incite angry or negative responses and make GMs wonder why they bother if they have just spent time and effort just to get flamed without any true reason. As others have said, if you hate the game/staff/service so much, there are other games, no one forces you to play. But if your post/email doesnt have a single valid point or reasoning as to why your unhappy and simply whines and complains, then you shouldnt expect a response and frankly dont deserve one.
<end rambling>

Thanks for taking the time to respond to the thread by the way Auriane.

-JM

"Arrogant and right is surely better than humble and wrong." ~Geoff Arbuthnot

"You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'." ~Homer Simpson
Re: I demand polls related to Simu's performance 05/30/2003 05:45 PM CDT
<<No, I mean not everyone that has problems goes to the boards.>>

Correct, because they send them to Feedback where they belong. :)

Solomon

Vote for DragonRealms as the #1 MUD every day!

http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=drealms
Re: I demand polls related to Simu's performance 05/30/2003 05:46 PM CDT
<<Not that I think GMs should have to waste 1 second of their time responding to players emails.>>

Heh...that makes two of us. :)

Solomon

Re: I demand polls related to Simu's performance 05/31/2003 02:36 AM CDT
<< On the other hand, sending in details of bugs, testing results, etc. rarely get replies ... in fact I believe I'm safe in saying I've never gotten a response in such a situation.>>

I've sent in a couple bug reports and I've ALWAYS gotten responses back from the GM mentioning that they will work on it or that they will get to it during the next update to that particular system. You can tell they appreciate your help because there is no way one single person or even a few people can check an entire system and tell me it's bug free from the start. This does not happen in any game and it does not happen in Dragonrealms. As far as development goes - bugs happen, stomp them and move on. That's good progress from my POV.

-Ruffles

"Barbarian Slogan - Are you asking for a CHALLENGE?!"

http://www.homestarrunner.com/20x6vs1936.html
Re: I demand polls related to Simu's performance 06/02/2003 09:15 AM CDT
<<Not that I think GMs should have to waste 1 second of their time responding to players emails.>>

Heh...that makes two of us. :)

Solomon

As someone that deals a great deal with the customer service department at both of my jobs I have to say this is exactly the wrong answer to give. When a customer/potential customer/client whatever you want to call them has an issue no matter how minor or insignificant you may deem it you ALWAYS give the common courtesy of a response. Quite often I get requests from customers (mutters something about being in the company phone directory under Tech support) that are totally outside my area and even if I do not personally respond I make sure the person I forward it onto does.

Personally my biggest gripe with the way things are run for Dragonrealms is this exact issue, stone walling and silence as the best CS response. In fact I have a friend who has had an ongoing issue for over 3 weeks now that has yet to receive any kind of response from Simutronics regarding their situation. Which is very interesting because the situation is one that actually requires action on the part of the Simutronics Office.

The Big Ugly One

Its all a matter of how you look at it. Some people say assassins are the elite of the elite because you never see them.. and they always win. -Dusk
Re: I demand polls related to Simu's performance 06/02/2003 01:01 PM CDT
<<As someone that deals a great deal with the customer service department at both of my jobs I have to say this is exactly the wrong answer to give. When a customer/potential customer/client whatever you want to call them has an issue no matter how minor or insignificant you may deem it you ALWAYS give the common courtesy of a response. Quite often I get requests from customers (mutters something about being in the company phone directory under Tech support) that are totally outside my area and even if I do not personally respond I make sure the person I forward it onto does.

<<Personally my biggest gripe with the way things are run for Dragonrealms is this exact issue, stone walling and silence as the best CS response. In fact I have a friend who has had an ongoing issue for over 3 weeks now that has yet to receive any kind of response from Simutronics regarding their situation. Which is very interesting because the situation is one that actually requires action on the part of the Simutronics Office.--The Big Ugly One>>

The problem here is you are confusing emailing Simu customer service(ie feedback) with emailing GMs. You will always get a reply from feedback, as that is their job...getting a reply from a GM isn't so set in stone, because at the end of the day they are not there to answer your emails.

starkad
"What's the difference? You know the way I work, I'm like a commercial jingle. First it's a little irritatiing, then you hear it a few times, you hum it in the shower, by the third date it's "By Mennen!"."- George Costanza
Re: I demand polls related to Simu's performance 06/02/2003 01:22 PM CDT
<<As someone that deals a great deal with the customer service department at both of my jobs I have to say this is exactly the wrong answer to give. When a customer/potential customer/client whatever you want to call them has an issue no matter how minor or insignificant you may deem it you ALWAYS give the common courtesy of a response. >>

Then we just have to disagree.

I don't want GMs having to deal with hundreds of unsolicited emails from players. It's not effective use of their time. That's what Feedback is for. That's what the boards are for. In your jobs, are the email addresses of every single phone-bank worker and technician available for the customers to use? I really doubt it.

It has nothing to do with "poor CS" to say that I don't want players randomly emailing GMs. Do you think that Bill Gates wants random people emailing Xbox technicians or Jeff Bezos wants customers emailing his Amazon.com staff? Nope. It's not an effective use of any GM's time to wade through hundreds of emails.

There is a mechanism in place to handle suggestions, complaints, comments, etc. so that's what people should be using. When Feedback is utilized from the website, an autoresponse indicates that the message was received.

However, if a GM says "Hey, email me your comments or suggestions to this address" then that's certainly appropriate in that situation...

Solomon

Re: I demand polls related to Simu's performance 06/02/2003 01:56 PM CDT
I don't want GMs having to deal with hundreds of unsolicited emails from players. It's not effective use of their time. That's what Feedback is for. That's what the boards are for. In your jobs, are the email addresses of every single phone-bank worker and technician available for the customers to use? I really doubt it.

Solomon.

To answer your question- Day Job regrettably yes everyone's Email and Extension are available through the phone message system. Night Job- Since Im in charge of the network and phone system thankfully mine are hidden but everyone elses is readily available.

While I agree with you that GM time can be better spent dealing with tech/ig issues then unsolicited emails. I do not agree with the ignore/delete approach. It would be a very simple matter taking a few seconds to open an email, read it and if it warrants attention forward to Feedback whom will respond.

A big reason I point to bad (things havent quite sunken lousy yet) CS from simutronics is this recent situation with my friend. Ill stick to the CS problem.
-IG Game master issued lock out despite other character involved in situation openly admitting to playing policy and insulting character that attacked them. Yes I have heard the response from IG game masters that I dont know everything that is going on behind the scenes but I can certainly recognize one character provoking another (and myself).
-Feedback has not responded after over 3 weeks.
-Lockout still has not responded after over 3 weeks.
-Billing department does not show that the account is locked.
-Access to the game is there but all character's stuck in holding cell.
-You yourself have not responded to emails from both myself (sent since the other account is being ignored) and the other account regarding this very situation.

Both myself and my friend have wanted simply one of 2 answers, 1. Yes the IG game masters ruling stands, lock out is official ends X date and this is the reason. or 2. An error was made access restored. To date I have received the standard script response of not your account no answer and my friend has received dead silence.

The Big Ugly One

Its all a matter of how you look at it. Some people say assassins are the elite of the elite because you never see them.. and they always win. -Dusk
Re: I demand polls related to Simu's performance 06/02/2003 02:45 PM CDT
Hey Solomon,

Why not just have the GM's answer everyones emails for one month? Then compare the number of complaints about the state of the game, lack of GM assists in game, and new releases, with the complaints from previous months. I bet the fact that the game as we know it would come to a halt would stop people from complaining about the lack of GM attention over email. Well at least for a week, until their memories fade and they start up with the complaints again. Give em what they think they want.

Big as Pebbles, Strong as Talc, Smarter than you, I am - Lennon's Bulldog
Re: I demand polls related to Simu's performance 06/02/2003 06:11 PM CDT
<<Give em what they think they want.>>

Good idea, but given that we've got some of the (if not THE) best CS in the industry, I think we'll probably just stick with what we've got.

I agree that some people have ideas about how they think things should work, and sure, in some situations and cases and environments, it might very well work out for them. We've had plenty of experience in developing a dynamic that works, and works well.

No matter what, some folks will disagree with how we do things, but that still doesn't mean I want the GMs flooded with unsolicited email when it's not necessary.

Solomon

Re: I demand polls related to Simu's performance 06/02/2003 06:56 PM CDT
Speaking as a CS person. We don't let our customers just call our warehouse folk or the Director of Operations or the Regional Vice President off the bat. We want the customer to call who the company is paying to help them. That would be me. Obviously, if the situation requires a direct call to the RVP then the call can be made. Oh and this company. Fortune 19. No small potatoes so something must be set up right. I say keep the Feedback folks doing there job and as Solomon said, if GM Joebob says email me, then email them then. I think in the vast majority of the situations letting the system work works. Obviously, there will be folks who fall through a crack, or for some reason or another can't accept the answer given as the answer, but those are the small minority.

Keep up the good work Solomon and your staff too. We probably don't say it enough.

Player of Peperic Timarson, ranger in training and corn carrier for Lucky, the raccoon.
Tree-house, North Road, River's edge.
"No matter how hard you try, you can't fix stupid."
Re: I demand polls related to Simu's performance 06/03/2003 01:09 AM CDT
>Good idea, but given that we've got some of the (if not THE) best CS in the industry, I think we'll probably just stick with what we've got.

Pff, EverQuest made me breakfast the morning after. Simu never did that.

~I.B.

Best. Order. Ever.
http://www.bakshiloa.com
Re: I demand polls related to Simu's performance 06/03/2003 11:08 AM CDT
<<That way they can look at policy regarding situations

That's exactly what they do.
Re: I demand polls related to Simu's performance 06/03/2003 02:30 PM CDT
<<Pff, EverQuest made me breakfast the morning after. Simu never did that.>>

At least we kissed you first.

Solomon

Re: I demand polls related to Simu's performance 06/03/2003 02:36 PM CDT
I wish there was a poll related to Simu's performance, too. I think the response would be overwhelmingly positive. I think a lot of bad feelings about customer service, etc., comes from people who didn't get the response or action that they wanted or expected. I may not always like or agree with the answers I'm given from feedback or other GMs, but I do always get an answer or response, and usually within a day or two.

I forget which GM has the sig line about not liking an answer is not the same as not receiving one, but that is very true.

Hate is too powerful an emotion to waste on someone you don't even like.
Re: I demand polls related to Simu's performance 06/03/2003 02:56 PM CDT
>>I forget which GM has the sig line about not liking an answer is not the same as not receiving one, but that is very true.

That would be Skori.

Brabs

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/FatherJarle/index.html

What's the air speed velocity of a Swallow?

African or European?
Re: I demand polls related to Simu's performance 06/03/2003 03:01 PM CDT
I wish there was a poll related to Simu's performance, too. I think the response would be overwhelmingly positive. I think a lot of bad feelings about customer service, etc., comes from people who didn't get the response or action that they wanted or expected. I may not always like or agree with the answers I'm given from feedback or other GMs, but I do always get an answer or response, and usually within a day or two.

I forget which GM has the sig line about not liking an answer is not the same as not receiving one, but that is very true.

Krazyannee

My complaint is not a question of not liking the answer Im getting. The complaint is that I am getting a scripted answer of not your account so no answer. The person who is actually having the problem has received NO response at all from Simutronics and billing has contradicted the status the account is supposed to be under.

Responses Received by my friend-
IG Game Masters- You have been locked out for 30 days. If you disagree write lock out (at this point can not even get this response as the only action allowed in the cell is to read the policy book).
Feedback- Dead silence.
Lockout- Dead Silence. When the Above 2 to failed to respond it was escalated to the next 2.
Solomon- Dead Silence.
Billing department on phone- Your account is not listed as locked out but here is a refund.

Over 3 weeks now and they have not received a response at all, Email address is correct and everything. So there is either a massive failure of the Email server or the account is being pointedly ignored by the departments that should be responding.

This is what I call bad customer service. Im sure simutronics has a good reported record of customer service the major problem with CS reports though is that a majority of disastisfied customers do no complain, they simply go elsewhere which skews any CS report. The only "true" way to gauge customer satisfaction is to look at sales #s and growth but even this is skewed as it is hard to judge between accounts that leave due to disastisfaction, Pricing, no longer want the product.

The Big Ugly One

Re: I demand polls related to Simu's performance 06/03/2003 11:28 PM CDT
>At least we kissed you first.

Simu didn't brush their teeth that day, either. And now Simu wonders why I don't return Simu's calls. Jeez.

~I.B.

Best. Order. Ever.
http://www.bakshiloa.com
Re: I demand polls related to Simu's performance 06/04/2003 02:00 PM CDT
I have personally had one very, very bad experience with Simu that took well over a month to resolve (and the resolution was basically "sorry, nothing we can do"). I sat around for literally hours waiting for responses to assists on a particuar issue (I had such waits on more than one occaision), and was then told I would be contacted by email or in game about the conclusion of the problem. About a month later, I got tired of waiting and emailed feedback. About a week after that, I finally got a response. I'm inclined to say that the tone of the emails exchanged after that were rather condescending and unhelpful on the part of the Simu staff, but that could just be my frustration coloring them. It really is hard to tell over emails exactly what people are trying to say sometimes.

That said, I've also dealt with some very friendly, helpful CS representatives. Every other assist I've had has been answered in a timely and respectful fasion by game hosts. They tend to do very well in straightforward situations, and for the most part have been fair and perfectly reasonable. I just try to remember that these people have to deal with a lot of bull from problem players and that their job is hardly easy - anyone who has worked in customer service knows that, and I have a feeling that Simu has even more "problem customers" than your average company, given that many players are young, inexperienced, and impatient.
Re: I demand polls related to Simu's performance 06/04/2003 02:23 PM CDT
I personally have had little experience with Simu's customer service system -- I did have one big complaint but ultimately it was resolved. Well, sort of. Anyway, while this is not directed at anyone specifically, I believe that people will largely have the type of encounter they're expecting to have.

Like most people I'm tapped into a pretty strong AIM grapevine, I chat with friends OOC and hear a lot of stuff. The thing that strikes me is otherwise intelligent, professional adults will go into a CS dealing and treat it like it's an adversarial situation. I've had adult professionals I have tremendous respect for who have the biggest chip on their shoulder about Feedback and apparently GM's in general. No big surprise when their expectations come to pass and the situation isn't resolved to their satisfaction.

I'm not going to sit here and claim that GM's and Feedback are all sunshine and roses, they're human and capable of mistakes just like anyone else. However, simply not treating them like the designated villian in the story goes a long way. Actually this is pretty good advice for any human interaction now that I think of it.

Player of Gizella, Passionata et al.
Re: I demand polls related to Simu's performance 06/04/2003 02:52 PM CDT
My experiences with CS has been so-so, better recently than it was like 4 years ago. Only once have I wrote to feedback (per a GM after I assisted) and I never got a response..nada. Not even a "we can't do anything for you". I've never writen feedback since then and I dropped it because it had to do with an item and it was actually replaceable by me. When I assisted about things after the introduction of GHs, I have always received fairly speedy service (before GHs were around and you had to wait for a GM it could be hours before you talked with one). While I'm happy with their promptness, often times (EVERY TIME that I can recall) they either tell me "I can't help you" or "I have no clue what you're talking about". IMO my suggestion would be to better train the Game Hosts to help PCs. And if they don't actually need better training and are just "blowing me off" then they need better people skills.

Sincerly,

Stephanie
Re: I demand polls related to Simu's performance 06/05/2003 04:42 PM CDT
My expereriece with Customer Service is no where near some of the horror stories I hear about which makes me question some of the authenticity of those original complaints.

The time's I've assisted and I've gotten bad news, the GH who handled the assist is always curteous and gave me a reason as to their decision. Sometimes I didn't like the answer I got, but I accepted and understood it (usually it's because I lost something I dropped or had on the ground - yeah I was stupid, give me a break, or I poofed and woke up dead).

I had only one issue with a GM and that's only because the GM deleted my post. I took it personally and written Bubba and feedback about and basically reverted briefly to adolesencism. I didn't get a response from Bubba specifically, but feedback did and I know that he read it and feedback was just representing. No reason to have him respond to me as well telling me the same thing feedback did.

Anyways, the next day, after I cooled down, I felt stupid because it was really petty of me at the time and I was most likely having a bad hair day that day. Now, I try to count to ten and wait a day before I write about an issue.

One thing I am certain is that the service I have been given, has been reasonable and have no major complaints.

Lastly, I do find it interesting that the majority of complaints that I do read or hear about always comes back to one thing . . . someone getting locked out due to pvp.

Avoid PvP and life in the game can be good.

<<At least we kissed you first. - Solomon>>

Yeah, but I had to buy the drinks (grins).

Woodcubb of Illithi

You have crystal blue eyes. You are bald, with dark brown skin. You are clean shaven. You have a tattoo of a huge Taisidonian pearl nestled inside an opened oyster on your arm.
Re: I demand polls related to Simu's performance 06/05/2003 06:02 PM CDT
Over the years I have written to feedback a number of times, specific GMs as well, and phoned SIMU a bunch of times over billing issues or whatever.

To this date, they have been fantastic and almost bent over backwards to help me in whatever capacity I could. I am really surprised to hear the stories of them not being helpful, and usually take them with a grain of salt (no offense to anyone, I just figure I'm missing part of the story.)

I wish in-game referrals and such were half as good <g> (not saying they are bad, just saying CS is excellent outside the game)

Blaayd

A hissing cockroach arrives and hisses, "Kill the Bards first! They will never suspect the roaches!"
Re: I demand polls related to Simu's performance 06/07/2003 12:27 PM CDT
>>IMO my suggestion would be to better train the Game Hosts to help PCs. And if they don't actually need better training and are just "blowing me off" then they need better people skills.

The same thing could be said for a lot of the players who assist.

Who did not so much fall as sauntered vaguely downwards
~Good Omens
Re: I demand polls related to Simu's performance 06/07/2003 07:00 PM CDT
I hesitate to add fuel to this fire. I like DR, I think in general its run very well. However the two times that I have felt compelled to request serious assistance, I came away feeling less than satisfied. My biggest complaint is the lag in time between initial email and reply.

But rather than complain, I would suggest a customer service follow up- send up a follow up survey to everyone who sends a feedback to DR staff to see how satisfied they were with their assistance. Then DR/Simu could actually measure how well their service is.

However, neither of my issues caused me to ever consider leaving DR, and I still think its a great game.

flavius
Re: I demand polls related to Simu's performance 06/10/2003 03:37 PM CDT
<<The same thing could be said for a lot of the players who assist.>>

The discussion is not about customers being rude and incompetent, it's about a business and it's CS or lack thereof.

Eowen
''Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped.''
Elbert Hubbard
Re: I demand polls related to Simu's performance 06/12/2003 01:11 PM CDT
>>The discussion is not about customers being rude and incompetent, it's about a business and it's CS or lack thereof.

I'm just saying that a little bit of courtesy from the customer side goes a long way. When I was doing tech support for a long time, it was MUCH easier to remain professional when people weren't being extremely rude to you. Everyone has their bad days and one could argue that hosts or GMs should have thicker skin but come on. There ARE limits.

Considering that Simutronics DOES have some of the BEST customer service in the industry.. well... some of the complaints really *sound like* (emphasis on the sound like) sour grapes. Someone didn't get the answer they wanted so that's bad customer service. For every person who complains that they've received bad CS from Simutronics there are even more who have praised the service they've received. ::shrugs::

Putting the "romance" back in "necromancy".
Re: I demand polls related to Simu's performance 03/15/2004 06:09 PM CST
only once in over4 yeaqrs have i been really unhappy with help coming from simu, that was when my character got rerolled by an ex-wife after i changed my password. asnwer i got was.... it didn't look like the account was hacked... i absolutely hated simu for a month because of this but i got over it<grins>
Chofmo

Running through the terrain, brandishing a burning branch, cometh Chofmo! And he gives a vengeful cry:

"I'm seriously going to flog you like it's my job, and hijack your momma's airplane!"