Trader sphere of influence 11/22/2012 03:33 PM CST
For those who haven't seen the list yet:

https://www.sebeni.us/public/dr3/SpheresOfInfluence.html

Traders get more defensive skills than any guild other than Paladins! I love it! I'm not actually sure why we got Parry on that list though, that seems out of place.

I love that we get Crossbow, and then Small Edged also makes alot of sense - but I'm shocked to not see Light Thrown on the list. We currently only have one single offensive ability, and it depends almost entirely on Light Thrown skill. So I'm not sure how LT got left off the list when it is the number one stereotypical weapon you think of for Traders (I would suggest changing the weapon skills listed to Small Edge, Light Thrown and Crossbow - deleting Small Blunt)

I'm slightly surprised to see Locksmithing and Thievery, and not Stealth. It arguably does make plenty of sense though (that whole "do anything to make coin" mentality), so I like it. It's weird to see Thievery without Stealth (since being stealthy is obviously required for stealing), but I suppose it is the correct setup in the context that Stealth skill in this game is almost entirely about Combat Stealth and has nothing to do with making coin

4 out of 5 crafting skills (only missing enchanting), sounds good. Once we get Trader Magic, it may actually look silly in hindsight to have Alchemy and not Enchanting. Cooking and making Poisons are not really in the realm of what Traders typically do. Enchanting is certainly even LESS Traderly at the moment, but I would think it would suddenly make a ton of sense for Traders if we ever do get Lunar Magic abilities

Apu
_
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Apu
Re: Trader sphere of influence 11/22/2012 10:16 PM CST
Much of the spheres of influence seem arbitrary. Arguments could be made for many, I'm not sure LT makes any more sense than crossbow or small blunt; speculate coin isn't (to me) precedent for light thrown over any other skill. More Traders use light thrown than crossbows or blunts because thrown weapons are mechanically superior at the moment.
Re: Trader sphere of influence 11/23/2012 12:42 AM CST
I redid the SoI right before we went to test as I noticed the existing ones made notably less sense than the existing ones.

I'm willing to discuss further revisions for any guild, just keep in mind there's always going to be skills that don't make the list and there's a way to justify almost any skill for almost any guild.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Trader sphere of influence 11/23/2012 12:54 AM CST
WTB ME and HT for WM's. Or I guess that's Small Edge now.

I suppose if the boosts from Tailwind and Mantle of Flame aren't effected by SoI then I don't really care that much, but I'd really rather not have to re-backtrain something new.

- Starlear -
Re: Trader sphere of influence 11/23/2012 04:37 AM CST
>>I'm willing to discuss further revisions for any guild, just keep in mind there's always going to be skills that don't make the list and there's a way to justify almost any skill for almost any guild.

Created a new thread in general, as many of my personal suggestions don't deal directly with Traders.
Re: Trader sphere of influence 11/23/2012 07:27 AM CST
the idea of light thrown makes sense for traders, not only because of "speculate coin", but because it is likely given the idea of distraction something by putting something shiney on the path would be something that a trader would do to get out of a jam- he'd more likely be carrying something small.

Although crossbows too seem to be something a trader would use, as opposed to a bow <more wilderness, whereas, a manufactured weapon -more urban- manufactured, commercial.

Traders do have a certain flair for theivery and locksmithing <although not as much as thieves - there is the whole lore-fu thing about "trader-designed box traps - syndic arnshile- etc - in order to keep thieves away from their treasure - see "kalag's memoirs, book 1>

An arisen dummy zombie bellows, "You will all be ssslaughtered!"
>
Re: Trader sphere of influence 11/23/2012 10:49 AM CST
Is this thread not being marked as Read for anyone else?

~ Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Progression.jpg
Re: Trader sphere of influence 11/23/2012 04:07 PM CST
Just a side note, does anyone find it at all humorous that Thievery is listed within the Trader's Sphere of influence, thievery being diametrically opposed to trade in principle? Not saying I'm not all for it, just that it makes me laugh from a theoretical standpoint.

--Wryhk

1st grade tl;dr version:

Numbers didn't change. Words changed. Words don't matter. Numbers all that matters.

--GRIM45
Re: Trader sphere of influence 11/23/2012 05:47 PM CST
>>Just a side note, does anyone find it at all humorous that Thievery is listed within the Trader's Sphere of influence, thievery being diametrically opposed to trade in principle?

When you're doing it right, trading is borderline thievery :)

Apu
_
Re: Trader sphere of influence 12/02/2012 04:39 AM CST
I agree with much of what Apu said in the original post.

I am also shocked to not see Light Thrown on the list, as it has always been said it influences Speculate Coin, which is our only disabler.

I disagree that LT is being used because of the superiority of it, Traders were using it long before the 'fix' that made LT what it is.

I'm also surprised at seeing Locksmithing and Thievery, and not Stealth, as many Traders have been sneaking around with their caravans for a very long time.

I also think Enchanting makes more sense than Alchemy, but that completely depends upon Trader Magic, which could be a long time coming, or right around the corner. I think it would completely fall into the guild's RP to be able to retune cambrinth, charge runestones, etc...

Anyhow, just my two bits.

~P
Re: Trader sphere of influence 12/02/2012 09:14 AM CST

>> I also think Enchanting makes more sense than Alchemy, but that completely depends upon Trader Magic, which could be a long time coming, or right around the corner. I think it would
>> completely fall into the guild's RP to be able to retune cambrinth, charge runestones, etc...

I'm curious why you think this.

Alchemy seems to work fine for Traders, it's essentially a crafting arena IMO. Trader's are not inherantly a magic using guild so retuning magic items or charging runestones seems better for MM or WM guilds.

Just my .02 cents worth.
Re: Trader sphere of influence 12/02/2012 09:21 AM CST
>>Trader's are not inherantly a magic using guild

Yet.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Trader sphere of influence 12/02/2012 09:29 AM CST
> >>Trader's are not inherantly a magic using guild

>Yet.

They've gotten some design plans in this, and I'm not seeing it isn't a lot of work but they will be the other Lunar Mages. I'm hoping once all the 3.0 dust settles that most of the magical developers will step up their push into traders, and finally give them a true Trader's year for 2013, so they finally have a full set of magical abilities.

Just a hope of mine.
Re: Trader sphere of influence 12/02/2012 03:47 PM CST
>>Trader's are not inherantly a magic using guild so retuning magic items or charging runestones seems better for MM or WM guilds.

Well right, as the game stands right now, Enchanting makes about as much sense for Traders as it does for Barbarians. But plans have already been announced to retcon the game lore at some point in the future in such a way that would make Enchanting make WAY more sense for Traders than alchemy. Enchanting would likely be the third most "Traderish" crafting activity, behind jewelry making and blacksmithing (and maybe artistry depending on what exactly that entails)

This discussion is getting ahead of ourselves in many levels (Trader Magic is a long ways off, and spheres of influence in general mean nothing for Traders until Trader Magic is released and we actually get abilities where the SoI choices would matter), but I still think it's really interesting.

Apu
_