Bone carving and the parser 01/07/2013 08:22 AM CST

Just a thought, as it's been mildly annoying as I've tested some bone carving.

With skinning/bleaching bones, and having to use a 'bonesaw', it's slightly frustrating to have to specify 'bonesa' each time I want that over my bones (not to mention MM prediction or insturments in the mix). Is it feasible to have it changed to a 'bone saw'? Or even have that be either a different pattern (assume they'll be forgable soon) or changing the noun via the cleaning cloth?

Really not a huge issue, but the game is pretty good about keeping similar nouns away from each other as a matter of ease of play. I'm certainly capable of typing out the full noun each time, but figured I'd mention this anyhow.
Re: Bone carving and the parser 01/07/2013 08:53 AM CST
ya, having bones with a bard and with a Moonmage - i vote for the noun to use be changed to "saw" for the bone saw. unless maybe you have plan for saws to be used with woodworking. in which case, guess i'll just have to put each in separate containers or something and script it like that.

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>
Re: Bone carving and the parser 01/07/2013 09:35 AM CST
While I agree it's annoying, I have a solution:

>.Carvebone shiv

Just put 'my bonesaw' into your carving script. No need for GM involvement.

With a little work, I bet I can even incorporate this with .Carve (item, piece1, piece2) back in prime once it goes live.

And on this note, anyone need .Carve or .Tan (which can also handle bones now)? Be warned, .Tan takes a lot of arguments.

--Wryhk

1st grade tl;dr version:

Numbers didn't change. Words changed. Words don't matter. Numbers all that matters.

--GRIM45
Re: Bone carving and the parser 01/07/2013 09:38 AM CST
setvariable tool bonesaw
setvariable material bison.bones

get my %tool
carve my %material with my %tool

You're going to get a bad reputation if you go around pinching every spectral reaper you see.
Re: Bone carving and the parser 01/07/2013 09:42 AM CST
>>With skinning/bleaching bones, and having to use a 'bonesaw', it's slightly frustrating to have to specify 'bonesa' each time I want that over my bones (not to mention MM prediction or insturments in the mix). Is it feasible to have it changed to a 'bone saw'? Or even have that be either a different pattern (assume they'll be forgable soon) or changing the noun via the cleaning cloth?

Close your container with the divination bones.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Bone carving and the parser 01/07/2013 10:02 AM CST
Have to agree that there are some very easy work arounds like separate containers, and keeping them closed, and using scripts that would keep the already over-worked Kodius from going back to change something this minor.

I agree it would make playing easier, but they already have so much on their plate that this is a non issue.
Re: Bone carving and the parser 01/07/2013 10:11 AM CST
If having bonesaw become bone saw would transition without much issue, I'm all for it.

I'm a big proponent of scripting everything, but I don't think the game should be built with the assumption that any syntax frustration can easily be solved via scripting.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Bone carving and the parser 01/07/2013 10:19 AM CST

Seperate/closed containers don't help with a bundle or two full of bones (can't close them, and they won't fit into other containers easily), which was my major issue. Since that's more or less required to have around in conjunction with bone carving, I thought I'd mention here to see if it might be plausable.

Yes, script everything is a solution. I agree that shouldn't be the go-to answer to everything though.
Re: Bone carving and the parser 01/07/2013 10:24 AM CST
Any chance we can get bone hilts, hafts, and poles that work with forging? And any chance they can show with the cleaning cloth?

Deer-bone hilted broadsword.

--Wryhk

1st grade tl;dr version:

Numbers didn't change. Words changed. Words don't matter. Numbers all that matters.

--GRIM45
Re: Bone carving and the parser 01/07/2013 01:17 PM CST
I'll ponder the change to "a,bone,saw". This does remove our ability to have variants via changing the adjective of the bonesaw. I usually try to come up with a single noun, and then vary the adjective to make it easier for folks. I will think about this some more. I do want saws for woodworking as well.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Bone carving and the parser 01/07/2013 02:01 PM CST
bone-saw, saw, hacksaw, bone cutter/bonecutter, meatsaw

i'm guessing oscilatting or ones with measursments would be more advanced

Re: Bone carving and the parser 01/07/2013 04:08 PM CST
I think as long as the tools don't have nouns which match the materials, it would be easier.

Maybe handsaw? Or just saw works, too.

Thanks for considering the change.

GENT