Bone carving a shiv 01/06/2013 03:48 PM CST
I saw this happen when I was cutting with a bonesaw:

You saw an iron bonesaw across several of the bones in your shiv. Cleaning dust from the shiv reveals absolutely no flaws with the recent sawing.

Upon finishing you see some discolored areas on the shiv's surface.

I don't know if this is ok or not, but my first thought is if there are no flaws why is it showing discoloration?

Upon analysis I see this:

You analyze the shiv and learn more about its construction.
When crafting is complete this will be a type of finished bone edged weapon.
A discolored section mars the marrow of the shiv's surface. This can be worked out by applying some polish to the shiv.
From the progress so far, it looks like the shiv is masterfully-crafted.

Still missing the line that states how far from completion the item is.

Regards,

Sortny/Braunwen
Re: Bone carving a shiv 01/06/2013 04:06 PM CST
>I don't know if this is ok or not, but my first thought is if there are no flaws why is it showing discoloration?

>A discolored section mars the marrow of the shiv's surface. This can be worked out by applying some polish to the shiv.

It's standard 'ok now do X instead of Y' messaging within the crafting system. Your action (sawing) was performed flawlessly. But the game is prompting you to polish instead of saw next time. Like having to 'turn X' instead of 'pound X' with forging.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Bone carving a shiv 01/06/2013 04:58 PM CST
>>I don't know if this is ok or not, but my first thought is if there are no flaws why is it showing discoloration?

That is an event triggering on the item that you need to fix. Events are generally not related to your skill with crafting. They are expected flaws with the material and with the process that pop up and need handling. You can usually ignore them and continue crafting, at the cost of quality.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Bone carving a shiv 01/06/2013 04:59 PM CST
>>Still missing the line that states how far from completion the item is.

That is skill dependant. It is possible you are only capable of seeing it when the RND is kind. The difficulty also varies on the value of the item IIRC.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Bone carving a shiv 01/07/2013 08:15 PM CST
I see it on the bludgeon, just not on the war club, shiv, carving knife, or hand axe. Of course I only have 174 in Engineering since I split my mech lore. My appraisal is 438.

Regards,

Sortny/Braunwen
Re: Bone carving a shiv 01/07/2013 08:34 PM CST
Kodius,

Not sure if this is intended or not but I don't see a finishing line when I complete the cup. First container I've done with bone carving.

carve cup with bonesaw
You saw an iron bonesaw across several of the bones in your cup. The work proceeds as planned without any mistakes whatsoever.

Upon finishing you see some discolored areas on the cup's surface.
Roundtime: 15 sec.
R>stow bonesaw
You put your bonesaw in your grey backpack.
>analyze cup
You thoroughly analyze the shallow cup, revealing some of its secrets.
When crafting is complete this will be a type of finished bone accessory.
A discolored section mars the marrow of the cup's surface. This can be worked out by applying some polish to the cup.
From the progress so far, it looks like the cup is masterfully-crafted.
The cup is an easy piece to make.
Roundtime: 7 sec.
R>get polish
You get a jar of surface polish from inside your grey backpack.
>apply polish to cup
You work the polish into an unfinished shallow troll-bone cup. The bone quickly buffs back to its natural state.
Roundtime: 17 sec.
R>stow polish
You put your polish in your grey backpack.
>get bonesaw
You get an iron bonesaw from inside your grey backpack.
>carve cup with bonesaw
You cannot figure out how to do that. Perhaps finding suitable ingredients and studying some instructions would help.
>analyze cup
You thoroughly analyze the shallow cup, revealing some of its secrets.
This appears to be a type of finished bone accessory that is masterfully-crafted.
The cup is an easy piece to make.
It was made by someone with abilities close to your own skill.
Roundtime: 7 sec.
You tap a shallow troll-bone cup that you are holding.

Regards,

Sortny/Braunwen