Problem with CUTTING in bone carving 01/06/2013 01:00 PM CST
I don't know if I missed something in the messaging, or if it was just wrong, but it seems there is still a problem with when you have to cut with a bonesaw.

R> carv ax with bonesaw

Back and forth you saw an iron bonesaw across the axe's bones. The work proceeds as planned without any mistakes whatsoever.

>>When you have finished working you determine the axe are uneven.
Roundtime: 22 sec.

That's not the messaging I remember having for when you need to use the CUT command, but:

R> analyze axe
You thoroughly analyze the hand axe, revealing some of its secrets.
When crafting is complete this will be a type of finished bone edged weapon.
>>The axe requires additional cuts with a bonesaw in order to fit together properly.
From the progress so far, it looks like the axe is masterfully-crafted.
The axe is a simple piece to make.
Roundtime: 7 sec.

So I did what it said and used cut.

> cut ax with bones

Back and forth you saw an iron bonesaw across the axe's bones, ignoring problems with the bones that could be resolved by using the correct tool. Your experience in carving bone is beginning to show in the design.
Roundtime: 20 sec.

Lowered the final quality, but the final product looks more in line than the crazy stuff everyone was getting.

You thoroughly analyze the hand axe, revealing some of its secrets.
This appears to be a type of finished bone edged weapon that is of outstanding quality.
The axe is a simple piece to make.
It was made by someone with abilities close to your own skill.
Roundtime: 7 sec.

R> app ax careful

A goblin-bone hand axe is a medium edged melee-ranged weapon.
A goblin-bone hand axe trains the small edged skill.

You are certain that it could do:
dismal (1/25) puncture damage
fair (5/25) slice damage
somewhat fair (4/25) impact damage
no fire damage
no cold damage
no electric damage

The hand axe is dismally designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the axe is dismally (2/13) balanced and is fairly (5/13) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the hand axe is extremely weak and easily damaged (1/18), and is in pristine condition (98-100%).

You are certain that the bone in the hand axe has a quality of 92, placing it at 'very high quality' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the bone in the hand axe has a durability of 15, placing it at 'terrible durability' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the bone in the hand axe has a workability of 75, placing it at 'rather easy to work with' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the bone in the hand axe has an electrical resistance of 25, placing it at 'an exceptional conductor of electricity' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the bone in the hand axe has a thermal resistance of 25, placing it at 'exceptional at transfering heat and cold' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the bone in the hand axe has a physical resistance of 50, placing it at 'somewhat good at repelling physical blows' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the bone in the hand axe has a hardness of 45, placing it at 'fairly soft' on the official Trader's Scale.
The hand axe came from bones that were average in size.
You think it is likely that the hand axe weighs about 10 stones.
You are certain that the hand axe is worth exactly 1875 kronars.
Roundtime: 16 seconds.

Weight is 14 stones.
Re: Problem with CUTTING in bone carving 01/06/2013 02:55 PM CST
So a follow up with some more testing. It seems when you need to use a rasp the analyze info is getting confused, and tells you to CUT with a bonesaw. When you try to use CUT though it seems to think you are using the CARVE command, and continuing on with the process of making the item. You can SCRAPE with the rasp anyways and it still fixes the problem, analyze is just not reflecting the right tool to use. I'm not sure if you intended CUT to work the same as CARVE though, so some clarification would be helpful.

I haven't made a lot of items since you have put in the fixes (only 3 so far), but I have not gotten the unbalanced messaging that indicates you need to use the bonesaw to CUT to fix it. I don't know if it just hasn't popped up, but I've had to use all the other tools several times through out to make the items.

Here's another weapon I made for everyone to see. Bone weapons aren't near as powerful as people were worried they would be. The hand axe was made from goblin bones, and the shiv is made cougar bones which have the best hardness I have found yet. (Again very limited testing though)

You analyze every minute detail of the shiv and smile knowingly to yourself.
This appears to be a type of finished bone edged weapon that is masterfully-crafted (13/13).
The shiv is a basic (5/12) piece to make.
It was made by someone with abilities close to your own skill.
You find it impossible to identify who crafted this item.
Roundtime: 10 sec.
R>
R> app shiv careful

A cougar-bone shiv is a light edged melee-ranged weapon.
A cougar-bone shiv trains the small edged skill.
The shiv is well suited for backstabbing.

You are certain that it could do:
somewhat fair (4/25) puncture damage
low (3/25) slice damage
poor (2/25) impact damage
no fire damage
no cold damage
no electric damage

The shiv is terribly designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the shiv is decently (6/13) balanced and is poorly (3/13) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the shiv is appreciably susceptible to damage (7/18), and is in pristine condition (98-100%).

You are certain that the bone in the shiv has a quality of 94, placing it at 'very high quality' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the bone in the shiv has a durability of 45, placing it at 'low durability' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the bone in the shiv has a workability of 60, placing it at 'not very difficult to work with' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the bone in the shiv has an electrical resistance of 25, placing it at 'an exceptional conductor of electricity' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the bone in the shiv has a thermal resistance of 35, placing it at 'great at transfering heat and cold' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the bone in the shiv has a physical resistance of 60, placing it at 'good at repelling physical blows' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the bone in the shiv has a hardness of 55, placing it at 'medium hard' on the official Trader's Scale.
The shiv came from bones that were average in size.
You are certain that the shiv weighs exactly 10 stones.
You are certain that the shiv is worth exactly 1275 kronars.
Roundtime: 16 seconds.
Re: Problem with CUTTING in bone carving 01/06/2013 03:04 PM CST
Kodius,

I'm seeing a line missing when I analyze a work in process. Usually i see this:

You analyze every aspect of the bludgeon and nod as your understanding grows.
When crafting is complete this will be a type of finished bone blunt weapon.
The bludgeon's surface looks smooth and ready for further carving.
From the progress so far, it looks like the bludgeon is masterfully-crafted.
The bludgeon is a very easy piece to make.
You estimate that it is three-quarters done.

But with the war club I'm seeing this:

You thoroughly analyze the war club, revealing some of its secrets.
When crafting is complete this will be a type of finished bone blunt weapon.
You do not see anything that would prevent carving the club further.
From the progress so far, it looks like the club is masterfully-crafted.
The club is a simple piece to make.

It's missing the second to the last line.

I'll check the other patterns to see if it happens with those too.

Regards,

Sortny/Braunwen
Re: Problem with CUTTING in bone carving 01/06/2013 03:11 PM CST
Correction the last line is missing! sheesh!

Regards,

Sortny/Braunwen
Re: Problem with CUTTING in bone carving 01/06/2013 04:56 PM CST
The CUT in the analyze is a bug, but CUT and CARVE route to the same "action". CUT is actually intended for MARK bonestack AT <#>, where you then CUT bonestack to split the pile. I'll check out why the RASP messaging is routing to the cut/carve action.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes